Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Countblanc posted:

i just moved out to Kent, OH. i know there's a scene in Cleveland but I don't have a car and would like to just find people nearby to play stuff with (particularly poverty poo poo but w/e). are there any better ways to find people other than just searching facebook for local groups

There's this old FGC database that people contributed places for, it shows there's places in Columbus and Cincinatti that I know both hold monthlies (and I think heard at least one of them was pretty okay).

But uh, if you're like looking for people in your neighborhood, you most likely aren't going to find anything. Not having a car is super limiting tbh so unless you have good transportation to Cleveland there probably won't be much. You also definitely should try to not be picky with being specific about poverty games cause unless you get lucky they'll most likely just play SF/marvel/GG.

And yeah, local groups mostly organize and talk stuff through FB nowadays it seems. Often times yeah you just have to dig through your regions/states FB groups and see if anyone is close by to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Broken Loose posted:

Virtual On: pick a character from a varied cast, attempt to deplete your opponent's hp to 0 using normal/special/super attacks unique to your character, matches are divided into individually timed rounds, 1v1, features meter management, has the same gamestate progression as street fighter
Smsah: pick a character from a half-varied and half-cloned cast, attempt to shove your opponent offscreen multiple times over 8 minutes of ill-defined round, timer only leads to sudden death mechanic that plays completely different from a normal round and then has random bombs rain to the field, features heavy rng elements that must be disabled to play competitively, isn't even intended to be played 1v1

8 (which itself is being generous in this count) out of 52 characters is "half"?

And even if Sakurai doesn't like 1v1 play, the game was definitely balanced with 1v1 play later on. The patches that followed tournaments and 1v1 play definitely showed that even if they left some characters in the dust (RIP Jigglypuff).

In Training posted:

They don't play sudden death in smash competitive, I believe they just go to a 1 stock match or something.

They usually base it off of Percentage leads, and in cases where percentages are tied they would go to a 1 stock match.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Mintergalactic posted:

So blazblue isn't rear end anymore, but is skullgirls still straight booty

It stopped being bad after SDE/early PC days ever since it became SG Encore.

dangerdoom volvo posted:

in my day you had to relearn every character every week and also the entire game

This is what it must feel like to play an NRS game.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

The best character in that game is the Japanese girl

Sounds pretty anime to me

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Paperhouse posted:

Question for peope playing fighting games online, is there anything you can suggest to stabilise my ping so that it doesn't spike as much and cause lag/slowdown? I'm trying to play melty blood online but most of the time I play the bastards say it's too laggy and disconnect. It feels okay to me personally but I guess they take it very seriously and now nobody will fight me :( I'm plugged in to the router and when I ping 8.8.8.8 I get pretty consistent ms of about 16-21, but occasional spikes much higher which I think is causing the problem. This happens regardless of whether or not anyone else is using the network at the same time. Any ideas on what I can try to fix it?

Not being an internet connection expert here, but from my experience, probably not? The only things that you can really control I think in terms of the connection are:

1. Playing on wired connection (avoid playing on wireless/wifi if possible)
2. Make sure all programs aren't downloading anything if you set them up that way. I don't have windows 10 but I have a friend who said that threw him off at first (with automatic updates)?
3. Know who you're playing or their connection. Ping doesn't tell you how exactly stable a connection will actually be, so if you know someone else plays on wifi or is in an area with unstable internet, you have to take that into account.
4. Just actually get better internet from a different provider, which may or may not be available in your area or price range or etc.

Outside of these, I haven't seen anyone try/offer other solutions that have seemed very effective, so idk anything myself. I'm also assuming that this is with your computer running the game well (idk Melty but I'm told it can run on potato machines?), where computer performance can sometimes affect connection as well.

Are you playing people from different regions? It's kind of expected that playing out-of-region players will get more problems than normal; maybe it's that and you should stick to folks in your same region?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
It seems like the PS4 port loads a lot of things a lot faster, and doesn't have certain slowdowns. No hard evidence about input lag, but apparently Dual Kevin said "it feels the same as the 360 version to me", so I have some more hope for the PS4 version to be the new standard. No legacy controller support sucks though, can only hope Capcom might fix it later down the road but I doubt it.

Zand posted:

why is this still a thing? someone call keits

Keits made some tweets that made it seem like he didn't know what was up with the port, so I guess Iron Galaxy didn't do it. Makes me worried that the chances of putting in Legacy Controller support is even lower than it already was.

https://twitter.com/TheKeits/status/805195633116192768

Ventana fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 4, 2016

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Brosnan posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about?

He's talking about this http://compete.kotaku.com/smash-pros-tournament-victory-speech-calls-out-nintendo-1795814824

Basically, Hungrybox said 1. Smash scene is trying to get into Esports so we'd really like some support Nintendo, and 2. thanking all the people who went 0-2 and still show support of the game for being the lifeblood of the scene

Smash N' Splash is a pretty good name for a major btw

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Are they just not gonna have any guilty gear characters in there? Why not?

Real hurthling! posted:

arcsys like 2ish years ago was like "hmm lets put out a good xtekken and a good marvel in the same year" and capcom was like "lets turn marvel into xtekken with no regard for quality"

I think saying mvci has been in development for 2 years is being too generous

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Endorph posted:

because theyd have to make new sprites for them that would only get used in this game. their old sprites would look super out of date next to the bb/p4a/uniel ones. if theyre going to make new sprites anyway they might as well reach out to a new demo that might not play FGs much instead of just piling on more arcsys fanboyism.

that said it wouldn't surprise me if like, sol is a bonus character or something

Captain Baal posted:

Because they don't have more modern 2D GG sprites, but that prob won't stop them from using them if they want GG chars tbh

Does that mean the rbwy character's sprites are from some different game? I just assumed they were making new sprites there. If it's all reused sprites then that would make sense

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

anime was right posted:

they're adding new sprites to the new ip that doesnt play arcsys fighting games already

Endorph posted:

you lowprofiled that reading comprehension hombre

When I read that bit I thought it was like a joke or something. For the point about the audience, I still think it's weird to go this way, but hey if there's a chance that the new audience is down for fighting games then it's all good.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Wanderer posted:

Combofiend may want to make a game that has some competitive legs, but it's like everyone else involved is just trying to put this thing on retail shelves in time for the MCU to conquer the box office in May 2018.

Isn't this the reasoning behind why UMVC3 came out so soon after vanilla mvc3, which then turned off a bunch of people very quickly?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Shadow225 posted:

Could the homogeneous game plans complaint be applied to say, USF4? I thought homogeneous game plans were a feature of fighting games since characters have distinct play styles.

This is a tricky point to talk about, because in general it can be difficult to see the different nuances if you're not experienced with fighting games.

USF4 had a mix between characters/playstyles that were homogeneous or varied, but for the most it leaned towards good variation. You can take a quick look at different Guiles between NuckleDu and Dieminion, or different Zangiefs between Itabashi and Snake Eyes. I could just go down the character list for SF4 and for most of them I could tell you at least 2 relatively high level players with different styles for that character. There are certainly characters that ended up mostly homogeneous, either due to low amount of play (Dan, Honda) or just due to their design (Fei Long and Elena) but overall there's a bunch of variation.

I watched a lot of SF5 in it's first year, and I could not tell you many differences between the Ken/Chun/Karin players, among others. I haven't watched much SF5 since last CPT, but from the sound of things that I hear it doesn't sound that much better now.

Characters are designed with intended playstyles for sure, but what lets other playstyles emerge is the amount of good options those characters have. SF4 has a lot of problems in it's own right, but a bunch of characters still had a bunch of good options that let the players pick and choose how to play within that character. SF5 simplified designs (read up on all the reasons other posters above said) end up reducing the amount of good things to do, which ends up with more homogeneity

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

anime was right posted:

having a puppet character in an assist game seems weird af to me

It was fun in Skullgirls though that character is a bit more simple than other puppet characters I think

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The main thing is that Fortune has very little in terms of pre-combo setup. The head's either between you and the enemy, behind the enemy, or behind you. The first is dangerous, the second safe but hard to leverage, and the third is what you want most of the time.

You do want to eventually learn head -> headless transition combos but they're super easy compared to some of the other stuff you have to learn to really play Fortune well so w/e.

I don't know if you know this, but there was a change so that the head can walk now, which makes a lot of setup stuff easier now that you can be precise. And I never learned a headless transition combo, and I do alright with her still. It's probably preferred but there's nothing wrong with just finding the right spot in neutral to head toss because of how good it normally is.

Having the head between you and the opponent can be really good actually. It will take damage, but in getting hit it can interrupt the opponent hitting you directly, leaving the body free to punish the opponent. It's also a great asset if you are close enough to hit the head. Hitting the head turns it into a lingering hitbox that's very difficult for a bunch of characters to deal with and nets you a safer approach, and you can jump cancel your launcher (even on block I think) if you hit the head which is extremely useful in many ways.

That said, I think she's more simple than other puppet characters only in that the range of the head is pretty small and that she gets benefits even without manipulating the head itself. So she's a puppet character who doesn't really need to do much puppet stuff, and that's before counting Head-On fortune stuff.

Ventana fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 20, 2017

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Even if the initial version of DBZ fighterz was bad due to being rushed, I'm a lot more confident that Arcsys would spend the time to fix it either in a patch or a revision version like how most of the GG/BB revisions only seem to get better.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Real hurthling! posted:

Different moves dont seem to cancel into each other and combos are mostly one button auto combos?

You can't juggle into a super, or at least every time i try it and make contact with the falling opponent it does not hit. Counter attacking does let you follow up with super but its weird not being able to tack it onto a combo?

Assists take a really long time to charge

Yes, there are simple auto combo strings if you aren't using any assists or anything. You have more options between the 2 buttons for slightly longer/more varied combos, but what combos into and from what depends on the character I think.

You can totally combo into supers...? I don't know if it's character dependent (never touched the demo characters), but certainly there are multiple characters that can properly combo into supers. It probably is just the fact that you don't have a proper training mode in the demo that you can't find something as easily.

Certain assists take longer to charge than others, and in between rounds you can switch to the other assist that will probably be fully charged. And there's 3 characters who can charge the Support Gauge faster with their Low Stances, and then there's Braixen who charges the support gauge faster when she does her Sunny Day powerup (which is part of why she's so good). Usually you'll only see 1 assist call per round, maybe 2 if it's a long round or a character that can charge the Support Gauge, so don't think of it like a Marvel assist.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

AnonSpore posted:

I'll only accept that was cool if he's also got a Christmas jingle of some sort ready for comboing all three chars

I think Mike Z took out the only way to get this scenario (comboing 3 characters) out of the game since it wasn't intentional. But we can still remember the good times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkQ8QMI7SYw

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
For local play, stats are optional, but for online play you can't turn them off (at least you couldn't on Wii U, I can't get switch version for a while and I don't expect it to change).

Fwiw, the stats don't seem to matter too much aside from the assist cooldown one. You can see the differences here. And while there is a noticeable difference in the assists, overall they're still too slow I think for them to be a huge deal. It's disappointing and not ideal, but not really a game changer from local play and won't change how important actual skill is to winning.

I'll cross post it in the pokken thread too

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Shiki Dan posted:

I dunno, seems like a pretty clear-cut explanation to me, bruh.

It's there, but tbh it is kinda dumb that that information is located in "Vsav 2 changes", which is not where I'd go to in order to find specific mechanic explanations. You'd think it'd be in something like esoterics or the tutorial. Some of the other information could also be moved around too (like the tick throw stuff, and imo the character changes could be added to the character specific pages).

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Chev posted:

Yeah, they've always been pretty clear that SG2 would be SG plus a bunch more characters and story mode and I can see how that wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.

Mike Z already said about a year ago that SG2 would probably change certain things around, like having Marvel-esque superjump heights and ceiling, lowering the undizzy 120-160 (I forget the number exactly, around half of the current, would shorten most combos to ground-air-ground super instead of ground-air-ground-air ground super, usually around 1k less midscreen damage), and changing around character chains so that less characters have long ground chain sequences. He wanted to try these changes for SG1 near the end, but they were so different and there was already a built base for SG1's style so he held them off for later.

If these changes were in SG2, and even assuming they would be more carefully balanced than tossing it willy-nilly into SG1 designs, then the changes would be massive to neutral, damage output (mostly from corner combos), and reset potential (less opportunities + removing some later ones entirely).

I don't think it's gonna change goon opinions much, since some goons have a weird fixation on the smaller innocuous things in the game, but it certainly will not feel the same as SG1 imo. Or at least, Mike has shown a willingness to experiment with these ideas that could change it.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Linear Zoetrope posted:

Out of wonder, has any team/tag fighter ever tried anything similar to pick/ban draft rules? E.G. players take turns picking characters with, say, an option to ban a certain character after a certain point? I don't think it's better, I'm just kind of curious if any game or tournament has tried it, because it could create a different way to play the game that's novel and interesting even if not as rawly competitive (forces higher level play with more than your small core team, allows players to play to the meta outside of simply picking characters, etc).

UFGT/Combo breaker has done several variations of stuff like this, and I think one of them did allow for some explicit bans but it's hard to remember them all

It's always fun for like 10 minutes but it's not really as fun as you'd think. It's more fun seeing someone like iheartjustice actually use Phoenix Wright and beat top players than it is to see those same top players mess around with different characters for it's own sake.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Dias posted:

The MVCI community is very salty because Mr. Wizard said "there's not enough people playing". I mean, they have a point since the game does get okay numbers compared to games that didn't even come out, but I think it's been getting quite weak stream numbers, especially for something supposed to be the #2 game around.

I mean, it's obviously a bullshit reason when Evo passed up Uniel when it came out for persona 4 arena ultimax, despite uniel showing very good numbers and persona having lovely numbers even after the Evo announcement

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Is $40 really an "accessible" price point?

Depends on the market they are targeting, but I've definitely seem several games get more sales than normal due to being released at lower than normal full price.

Endorph posted:

They've literally said from the start that they wanted the game to have a low base price and then cheap DLC
The first announcement of the size of the DLC roster did not "literally" include this info about the pricing stuff clearly, it doesn't look like it covered it at all unless I'm getting a phrase wrong. The pricing plan was revealed 11 days later in famitsu. If it was somewhere in the original press release, blame siliconera for leaving it out, or if they said it earlier, you they absolutely repeat it when people see specifically that half of their roster is DLC.

So no, it's not that people weren't listening, it's cause ASW botched their press releases.

edit: the closest early indication they said about pricing was "we wanted to build the game around gamepads for people who couldn't afford sticks", but lol if you think we're supposed to interpret DLC plans from that

VVVVVV Dude

Endorph posted:

They've literally said from the start that they wanted the game to have a low base price and then cheap DLC so that casual players could buy the characters they wanted and wind up with less than price and so pros could buy everything and not get gouged, people just weren't listening. They've made some of the DLC free in response but I don't think it was ever going to be more than 70 for the game + everything.

Ventana fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Feb 15, 2018

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Mr. Locke posted:

To be fair, a lot of people are going to poo poo on it anyways because it's a copy-pasta game

Isn't Mvc2 basically a giant copy pasta game?

Fwiw, I don't really care about how much of the game is reused content, as long as the base mechanics are good enough and the character variety is good. Which on that note, bbtag doesn't seem outright terrible, but nothing has been exciting.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
I don't agree at all that TFH is low damage unless you play Paprika (1/4th of the health bar for an average not long combo). Hell, someone already found a (difficult?) Oleander corner combo that does almost 1/2 health bar damage.

I'm gonna assume what people mean is that it's a long combo based system, where damage needs longer combos that are probably longer than BlazBlue combos (haven't checked). I get why some goons wouldn't like it and it's a fair opinion to have, but I would not call that low damage.

anime was right posted:

again, i dont think what that person said is correct (but i could be wrong), if so, the very advanced broken poo poo is any varation of B into Cs into qcfC with arizona over and over again whidh seems like a very glaring oversight since it just puts them into floor slide/roll/w/e over and over and over again and isnt contingent on gravity at all!

so either the team is very incompetent at finding relaly basic infinites or the game has ips

Been trying this and I don't think you have it right at all? Doing normal rekkas in the corner, you only get 2 of them before gravity scaling kicks in and pulls them to the ground faster, letting them tech out. You can get an extra string if you use EX rekka, but you can only get 1 of those + uses a resource + why do this combo because it looks like it does less than average damage and nets you nothing.

Also the opponent tehcing out (when they flash blue) is a good thing for them, since they can tech (inplace, forwards, or backwards), or choose not to where they'll get a different benefit.

The gravity scaling is a lot more obvious if you try other combos, especially ones with rejumps. It usually just forces opponents to the ground once you get too far in a combo (NOTE: not precisely what it does, this is the sparknotes version)

Ventana fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 25, 2018

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I did the loop he's talking about myself and you can do it about 4 times before they fall out but also it doesn't work in a real match anyway since roll state is techable just there isn't an option for the AI to tech it in training mode and the game otherwise doesn't display what's a "true" combo in any form like other games

1. Okay, tell me what the loop is so I can do it myself then? It's hard to verify a thing that you don't know what it is

2. You should be able to set the training mode dummy to tech in the options in training mode? It's near the bottom of the training options, but there's a ground tech and air tech option

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

i would

poo poo's low damage fam

Pretty sure that's less than 900 damage dude, so even for paprika or Tianhuo (who others told me also does lovely damage?) that's pretty low even by the game's standards. This doesn't really say much other than maybe it was a bad combo. If you're complaining about the length for the poo poo damage then idk what to tell you; sometimes more hits doesn't necessarily always mean more damage, that's true in a bunch of fgs.

Which basically is my point in that post. It's a game about doing long combos to do anything half-way decent. And a game where most every neutral tool you have is trying to get into some sort of long combo hit confirm. It'll look like low damage when you don't know anything, then you'll play a velvet who'll do a midscreen combo that does 2/5ths of your health. I'm pretty sure a character who can almost 2-touch me isn't what I'd call low damage, unless you play divekick or something.

It being a game that's fill of slow/long combos isn't something I'd really argue against, fyi.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Anyways the truth is that a fighting game as new player friendly as e.g. Overwatch or League of Legends or whatever does not exist, will probably never exist

Waiting on Rising Thunder to save FGs

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
I mean if the port is actually good then I'll buy it.

It's just confusing cause like

"Hey Arcsys, can you give +R ggpo? Or at least port it to PS4?"

"Okay fine guys, we'll port it to switch"

If switch money gives arcsys money to invest in either of those then that'd be cool

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Ryoga posted:

Ban Faust and Zappa from guilty gear

Unironically would enjoy gg more if this was done

RoadCrewWorker posted:

How the gently caress do you enter/watch a tournament intentionally designed to include significant elements of chance and then complain about that chance coming in to play?

I wish I could say, "clearly they had reading problems back then."

But sadly, people not reading clearly laid out rules continues to be a problem even in tyool 2018 with the FGC.

It was either that or just plain arrogance, which I'd also assume would be believable given how weird the melee community has and continues to be about top players. Smash 4 was better about this I think.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
It's not actually about their randomness either, I'm just not a fan of their designs and how they play generally. They're also not my top 2 for most annoying for the record

I don't play Xrd so I got nothing for Jack-o and Raven, but I don't mind Chipp/Milia. Eddie/Zato is definitely up there for annoying though, yes.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Elephunk posted:

Aren't the 100% combos only possible on low stun characters like Akuma and Remy?

nah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM498WZBXlM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh6xmRFxo54&t=223s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlJrcxwOQDE&t=239s

Untaunted Q but there's also something for that. There's probably one for Hugo but too lazy to go digging

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Zand posted:

if anyone has any good links/tweets about match fixing or other recent examples please post

I know this is entirely the opposite example of match fixing, but I wanted to ask everyone what they thought about Combo Breaker's 3-people-out-of-pools system? This is a year old so maybe I missed discussions about it, but it seems like a really cool idea, and afaik other majors don't really do this. Is this something you guys think other tournaments should pick up?

Zand posted:

can we talk about the match fixing/bracket rigging at stunfest?

nsfw, r/kappa https://www.reddit.com/r/Kappa/comments/8lkbtm/some_interesting_bts_of_the_stunfest_fiasco/

To talk about this though, I'm still just baffled at the Capcom premier event offer. Either we pay you $5k to have control of our game at the event, or you have to pay us more than $5k to run things your way. It's kinda utterly ridiculous imo.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Jmcrofts posted:

Evo does this now and yes, it is good.

Oh that's good to hear, yeah that's neat

dragon enthusiast posted:

I don't think the general concept is that ridiculous; Capcom gets to run their own production to make the glorified ad that is the CPT run more consistently. Apparently that consistency is worth $12k? Meanwhile the event gives up its ability to run its own production in exchange for the publicity of a CPT Premier event.

I get the premise behind it, which makes sense to me, but it's the discrepency between the money that I thought seemed like a lot. I will admit though that this is sorta going into tournament costs discussion which most of us don't have behind-the-scenes numbers for a lot of this, so maybe it's more normal than it sounds and isn't as big of a deal.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Same

but in general it's still true, lots of people on console wonder why their online sucks, and then get confused when asked if they are wired or wireless

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

inthesto posted:

So after bebop said his online for SF 30th Anniversary Collection was okay, I thought I'd give it a spin

Guess what? The game won't loving read diagonal inputs from my stick. Turns out ST is really hard when you can't block low and are locked to neutral jump!

Capcom always manages to exceed expectations somehow

Yeah I saw someone else have this problem. I guess it's an issue for the PC version?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Neufc-LgZAM

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Pikachu isn't really that bad of a character in Melee. 9th best character as far as the tier list go and sits at an okay tier where they have a bunch of tools that are kinda like some top tier characters, a couple of tools that are even better, but still things that the top tier characters have. It's the characters in the tier below that where you start to question if they should be switching or not (even though Amsa does amazing work with Yoshi pretty much all by himself).

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Ptarmigans posted:

It should be noted that Axe is pretty much the entire reason that Pikachu moved up to that spot in the tier list.

Very true too, I will admit that I am sorta biased to thinking Pikachu is better than people think to half explain Axe (who of course is also amazing), where as Amsa is pushing a rock up a mountain with all the work he's doing for Yoshi.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Saint Freak posted:

I took a film appreciation elective in college and the professor told us before 2001 he didn't blame us if we skipped it because 'it's terrible unless you're on drugs'.

2001 is pretty great even when not on drugs so not sure I'd trust a film professor like that. It's just long, is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Reiley posted:

New Smash has throw techs and dashup ground normals now.

Having real throw techs sounds awesome and I hope it plays out well. Though, in traditional smash player fashion, there's been a couple of people calling throw techs "Grab Clashes".

Reiley posted:

In fact, there seems to be more stuff than ever for us to work with. They included a toggle for stage hazards which opens many, many stages up to being tournament legal. A big problem Smash WiiU has is very few actually serviceable stages so famine has become a feast. The scene definitely has its work cut out for it narrowing down a pick/ban list for stages.

It's also neat that the battlefield option for each stage is there like the FD version. It's better for battlefield since little variations in the battlefield layout, I imagine, would be more accepted than a lot of the variations from the FD stages where some of those were just outright poor. But yeah, stage hazards is a big deal here which I hope will work out for the best.

Ryoga posted:

hell, even having a time limit would have done wonders too. I'm sure there is some asinine reason they don't use that too.

frameset posted:

and also the ruleset is stock instead of timer.

Melee and all the games after Melee give an option to put a timer with Stock matches. Competitive rulesets have used this for a long time.