Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAus6r3JY2c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

AnonSpore posted:

It is possible to play the game with only five buttons bound, you know.

Does the default layout still put P under K

I will never get over that poo poo

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

interrodactyl posted:

I bet you play box instead of neogeo layout for kof

And for Last Blade 2 I use

ABC
D

:negative:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRWLKT0RH0s

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
A lot of goons in this thread are down on it, but I'll still plug Last Blade 2 as a really good game. Once you get over the power vs speed mode hump (and really it's mostly just links vs chain combo mode), the game is fairly simple but still has a lot going on in it.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
http://playthirdstrike.com/

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why are there so many visuals novels that turn into fighting games? The two genres couldn't be more different and you would think that would echo with the player base of the genres.

People who play visual novels tend to have no taste in anything, so you can just churn the IP into any genre you want and they'll eat it up

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
ST is a game I recommend because 1. it's so simple it's very easy to see what you're doing wrong, 2. there's not many mechanics going on, so it focuses on the bare fundamentals that apply to every game, and 3. it's old as dirt so there's a god drat encyclopedia of information out there

If you're losing to gimmicks or brutal options selects (and since it's ST there's a lot of them), there's a way to deal with it and somebody's written about it.

I mean, I'm pretty drat bad at the game, but I'm always learning something.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Garnavis posted:

What I'm wondering is why I see so many people playing Championship Edition on FightCade. I get the impression people hold Hyper Fighting in high regard, but what makes CE worth playing today?

CE is the dumb broken version of SF2. For all the stupid poo poo you hear about CE Bison, he's not even the best character in the game.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

brian posted:

IMO 3S is the natural evolution of ST and yall too bad to get it

I like both ST and 3S and I am bad at both but come on this couldn't be any further from the truth and you know it

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
BTW I would be pretty glad to see my favorite B-listers Heidern, Kasumi, and Whip in KoF14

I suppose I'll have to live with the death of the USA Sports Team

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Joe Higashi and King are the muay thai staples of KoF. KoF13 had Hwa Jai but he's not coming back apparently.

Karate representation has the entire AoF team but most notably Ryo and Takuma. They both literally take on the title of "Mr. Karate" at separate points.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

NecroMonster posted:

there are a lot of loving chracters i'm having a lot of trouble keeping this stuff straight

It's easier if you know the franchises that KoF borrows from: Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, Ikari Warriors, Psycho Soldiers, and some buttfuck sports games that nobody remembers. That nets you like 90% of the roster pre-99, and then after that you have to start straight up memorizing the weird designs that SNK started farting out (though a giant cyborg Canadian with a laser cannon in his chest is pretty good)

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

FanaticalMilk posted:

Really? Which games, Leona doesn't count!

I think Fiona was only in Maximum Impact 2, and then Marco was in Neo Geo Battle Colliseum?

Ralf and Clark were in one of the Metal Slug games but that's crossing over the other way around

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Sengoku 3 was legitimately a slick as hell beat em up

The other two games sucked rear end though

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I money matched a guy in SvC Chaos as a joke once, and it turned out he knew how to play the game

He won by frame trapping me with farts the entire time

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Zand posted:

this sounds like the old anime con tournaments where only stock controllers/no button binds were allowed and they did wierd stuff like single elimination. fg players used to go to cons just to win anime tournies for free but then too many people started doing that...

This reminds me of my first tournament back in 2006, at an anime convention where they wouldn't let me use a pad with six face buttons (but they did let a guy rebind all his poo poo so he had one button throws???). It was also one game, single elim, but the game was 3 out of 5, "tournament rules" as the organizer said.

I lost because I missed a HP x EX dash punch because shoulder buttons are a pain in the dick

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
The best part of MUGEN is its community and how people on youtube brag that they made a character that can beat Violent Ken in AI vs AI battles

The best best part is the Sean who beat Violent Ken because the guy who made him accidentally flagged his parry as a move that can be canceled into, so you see the startup frames for a really lovely Sean move and then he immediately parries and then begins to do another move and parries again and it repeats like six times in a row

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Saoshyant posted:

Gonna assume it's this one since it's the first result on youtube and looks the part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I88DC7PWfgk

That moment at the end is like a hilarious knockoff of the Daigo parry.

Yep, this is the one

If you look closely, Sean parries regardless of what state he's in. Doing a move? Parry. Whiffed a throw? Parry. Recovering from super? Parry.

If only mugen could always be this glorious

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

General Morden posted:

MUGEN was a relic from the early 2000s

it was a mess but it was kind of a cool mess because you could create the ultimate dream match of poo poo like homer simpson vs drunken ryu and that poo poo owned even though most characters were completely broken

it was more or less a fun novelty at the time

MUGEN also had a strong tendency to appeal to grown men who wore Naruto headbands at anime conventions, though I think actual Naruto fighting games coming out in the US supplanted that

When I was in college, I met multiple dudes who said "mugen is my poo poo" without a trace of irony

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

attackmole posted:

mixes KoF sounds with HNK soundtrack, not canon.

Actually, the voices are almost entirely from CvS2

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
IIRC, both COTA and MSH have really, really weird hitstop and I don't like it at all

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Super Turbo, Marvel 2, and Alpha 2

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

HMS Boromir posted:

That's probably why it failed, but on a more personal level, a bunch of my friends who were totally up for League of Legends or whatever, whom I did my best to convince of how good it was, really didn't want to play it. They were contrarian teenagers so I never really got an explanation out of them but something about that game just made people not want to play it. The League of Legends monetization stuff wasn't even in the game at the time, I don't think, and I don't remember having that hard a time finding matches. Fuckers just didn't want to play a good-rear end game with me.

You also have to remember that BLC actually has pretty high skill demands, which is the exact opposite of what most people want when they play a MOBA

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Yeah, in retrospect, getting acquired by a bigger company was probably the endgame of Rising Thunder anyway

And I know there's been murmurs of Riot doing something fighting game related for a long time now, so it all plays out perfectly

Though I dunno if Tencent would appreciate competing with themselves

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghzBQn6QI6s

It's kind of sad just how sick the SFxT trailers were and how wet a fart the actual game was

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Pomp posted:

has there ever been a good 2d fg with bad throws

IIRC throw range in Vampire Savior is incredibly short

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

C. Everett Koop posted:

You know what game has a lot of throws?

Def Jam: Fight For New York.

It is also the best fighting game.

Henry Rollins being a playable character is strong evidence in support of this claim

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Pomp posted:

are all his win quotes about the violence of capitalism and also not judging people by their surface

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
On top of business as usual, Sagat's c.hp had a monstrous hitbox

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Hobojim posted:

If anybody wants to beat me up in Last Blade 2 I'm trying to learn it, just put time into it for the first time yesterday. I'm on Fightcade right now.

Go ahead and add me on steam. It's been a while since I've played the game at all, but the basics are fairly simple.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/inthesto

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

In Training posted:

In my limited experience it seems like everybody has a meter less combo that does 35 to 50% which is cool. Everything is dangerous

LB2 is just a high damage game across the board, to the point where combo damage has to be hardcapped at something like 75%

Does the PS4 release support PS3 sticks? I assume the answer is no, but I can always hope.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
The KoF series has been notable for its music for a long time, and I think SNK will be perfectly okay with rereleasing soundtracks until the end of time

As for the artbook, well the game does have a lot of characters

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

In Training posted:

Tried my PS4 stick in PS3 compatibility and dug my old PS3 stick out of the closet, neither worked.

That's what I expected. I guess I'll just be sticking to Fightcade for a while.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

interrodactyl posted:

how does this compare to twinkle star sprites?

I was going post this, literally verbatim

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
So it's inverse Windjammers

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Real hurthling! posted:

Its just a rom of the neogeo game. Also it plays amazingly smooth even cross country.

The story you tell is the rumor about street fighter 5 lol

Rumor?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Mortal Kombat is the sound of slapping a dead fish against another dead fish

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Has FChamp ever actually done anything morally reprehensible? I know he's a loudmouth and a hothead, but as far as I know he's never committed animal cruelty, battery, or armed assault.

(really you should all be referencing Dark Prince when it comes to the moral pits of the FGC)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
KoF14 is PS4 exclusive at the moment, right?