Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
The biggest difference is that you're going to get blown up a lot harder and consistantly in Tekken for whiffing moves. Pressing buttons just to fill space requires much better information because Tekken tends to have longer recovery from attacks that, while generally carrying more blockstun, makes it easier to spot and get a real punish on reaction when you just miss. Spacing in Tekken is much more about movement and tapping folks at the length of your limbs then putting hitboxes into where you think your opponent is going to try and go like SF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Endorph posted:

bo3 card games dont take *that* long if both players know what their cards do and what their usual plays are, but hearthstone is insistent on super long unskippable animations so even onesided stomp matches take like 8 minutes

Look up Four Horsemen for M:tG

Normally I concede to combo decks once they establish a combo but before Four Hoursemen got basically soft-banned due to delay of game rule changes I’d force the Four Horsemen player to resolve their combo because there’s a non-zero chance they can’t do it once in a fifty minute match.

e: Also gently caress anybody who actually brought Four Horsemen to play a match. They deserve whatever they get.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 19, 2018

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Star Man posted:

Is the Hitbox just one of the dumbest things I have ever seen or am I just a loving pleb?

Hitbox is just a different way of doing control. It’s precision at the cost of a steep cleaning curves to get down some severely unintuitive motions unless you were one of those poverty children who learned Street Fighter playing emulators with keyboard. A great Hitbox player has the cleanest goddamn inputs and can have some of the smoothest tech around.

There’s a couple games where access to opposite directions at the same time can do some weird tech no other control method can access (the biggest example I can think of is Smash Melee, which otherwise seems like one of the games that legit loses things going to the all-digital Hitbox buttons) but normally Hitbox is Arcade Stick is Gamepad- whatever floats your boat and connects.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

I don't follow SFV streams much, but I just realized I haven't seen Rainbow Mika since like Evo 2016. I'm going to imagine they nerfed her bad enough to become the new Hakan.

Mika’s still fine.She just doesn’t steal games out of anywhere anymore because lolMika 60% off a punish and a wake up mixup and is probably the character who is most effected by momentum- a Mika who starts losing a match has a much harder time bringing it back around, even if a Mika in the lead can be difficult to wrest it back from.

Basically she got some of her really stupid poo poo from season 1 toned down and people wandered off because she stopped giving out free wins off random connects.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I don't think this was ever a genuine price experiment, I think they're simply forcing the game out before it's ready, maybe to capitalise off Evo or whatever, and this is their solution to doling out the content post-release.

It was a dropped ball of colossal proportions. To be fair, a lot of people are going to poo poo on it anyways because it's a copy-pasta game but this still probably could have been a thing if we got the pricing announcement when we were told half the roster was going to be DLC. Frankly, a $70 price point would make BBCTB the cheapest tier one complete fighting game barring Tekken 7 in the last three years.

THAT SAID, $50 for the starting roster is a colossal rip off, and holy poo poo the weeks between the announcement of the roster split and the pricing model has poisoned the absolute gently caress out of this well. When I thought it looked like ArkSys wanted to outdo MvC:I with this game, I didn't assume that included killing the gently caress out of the game before it ever got off the ground.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
A reminder that at one time, the strongest character in Tekken was not the guys with the devil blood or the mythical magic monsters, but the American Punchman who was just a cool dude who was really, really good at punching mans.

... Paul Phoenix has lived a hard life since then.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
To be fair, some of the problems is that most FG commentators are awful at giving actual commentary. I tried to tune into Team Spooky’s DBFZ stream about two weeks ago to try and see what the game looked like competitively but after five minutes of screaming about Tyra Banks, the salsa preferences of Goku Negro, and the commentators intoning inspirational messages to Gohan in Android 16’s voice and never once talking about the actual match on screen for all three matches of a set, I muted the channel and tried to work it out for myself.

I mean, this isn’t a new issue with the FGC- everyone wants to be the new Yipes. Except Yipes was a color commentator doing commentary for an already informed and invested audience. The rarity is a James Chen or Ultradavid who’s actually trying to explain what’s happening and why, without getting drowned out by some overachieving color guy screaming community memes.

MOBAs are also resistant to visual and audio commentary but at least they’ve taken many, many steps to try. Say what you want about Riot’s LCS presentations, but they have put a lot of time and effort to making that poo poo followable for a casual watcher and packing as much information as possible where it needs to be

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Poniard posted:

hit me with a 3d airdasher

So, Dissidia?

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I've never played Tekken but this exact logic was applied to FPS games and it was loving awful and continues to work to that genre's detriment to this day, so I'm gonna go with no.

You could say that. You could also say that the simplification of FPS movement unlocked the genre for the masses and kicked off the FPS Renaissance while the last bastion of rocket jumps and glitch movement continues to fade into irrelevance as every other game that attempts to force it to be a thing fails to gain any traction. I'm a little sad that the days of flying around the map as explosion-powered speed buggies is gone, but I'm not going to begrudge the genre losing the absurd skill floor that was not just rocket jumping, but rocket jumping, switching weapons, aiming, landing a rail gun/shock rifle combo shot, switching back to rockets before landing, and rocket jumping again immediately because a still space marine was a dead space marine.

That said, removing KBD from Tekken would be stupid, if just because the game's lateral movement would be awful without it. There'd be no spacing, just a vacuum pulling two players into melee range with neither having the tools to really escape it to regain positioning without getting kicked in the gut for trying it. They'd need to really empower standard backdashes to make removing it viable and I don't think you want to see a Tekken where just normal backdashes have the ability to trump many mid or high attacks.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Kongming posted:

It depends on the game, personally. I can handle being beaten mercilessly in Guilty Gear and Under Night, but losing badly in DBFZ feels incredibly lovely and just makes me mad. Which is why I don't really play DBFZ anymore despite the fact I was incredibly hype for it.

That’s because being on the losing end of a round feels like poo poo in DBfZ with how weak the game’s defensive options are. The game is basically right now about who catches the other first and understands what sequence of buttons to push to keep them blocking or make them pay. Anyone caught on the defensive w/out the meter to vanish basically has to wait their turn, make some god-tier deflects and not get read trying to make them, or suffer.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Yeah, Naoto's probably fine. She might be a problem as a second/anchor character where she can scrub out two bad combos to kill a man once the four meters are built (or one combo if your assist is still up) but that also means you're not using those meters on your point character so *shrug* Given the general pace and damage of BBTAG, I'm honestly not sure she'll even be good unless someone can find something else with her as well because her traps are easily dealt with and her gun stuff is really, really unsafe in neutral against anyone with projectile immune properties on anything.

I mean, Hakumen's in the same patch and he might just be as hard a counter to Naoto as one could possibly imagine.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
It seems like SCVI is gonna be a retelling/reimagining of at least the first two SCs so Talim’s probably fine.

I would’ve be surprised if SCVI ran through more then that. An alternate history version of SC I-IV would be cool. Plus that’d let Hilde and Dampierre sneak in.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I mean, the development cycle crunch sucks but that doesn't mean I gotta pay Bamco for putting these people through it. Rewarding Bandai Namco for putting people through lovely conditions for a passion project is probably the wrong kind of message, doubly so if the game's actually not good and the business practices around it are poo poo.

I'm not sure what side of dumpster fire SCVI is gonna wind up on. It looks sick as hell, but so did SCIII before release and that game was a hot mess. Maybe it's that the last three SC games have been not so great, or maybe it's seeing the overblown goofy style and gameplay elements that started seeping into the later entries start showing back up after it's impressive reveal (did we really ditch why-are-you-in-my-weapoin-fighter Algol just to pick up wizard-as-gently caress Zhang Jiao in his place? I mean, why?) or maybe it's just that I've been enjoying Tekken and Cross Tag now and having Smash show up two months later and not really feeling the need for another game in the void, but I haven't really been feeling the hype for this one.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Fighting games have never had a particularly good business model, with minor updates being repackaged as full price games since the genre’s inception until day 1 DLC and incomplete shells of games being sold because they can patch it later now. So it’s hard to get ‘mad’ per se. The closest we’ve gotten to getting it right is Killer Instinct and (to a lesser extent)DoA5:FR.

I mean, besides Smash Bros. giving away everything and only doing DLC stuff so far we’ll after the game is finished. But nobody’s actually gonna do THAT so I’ll settle for KI’s model.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

In Training posted:

There are some people who say that MVCI is their favorite one and it's probably a better game than DBFZ so I respect the hustle

This- this is me. Mechanically, at least, MvC:I is the best Marvel game by a country mile and I will choke out anyone on their loving salty pringles who try to claim otherwise. It just feels like the final realization of the 2v2 team idea that first got dabbled in with MvC1 and it’s various mechanics instead of just being a tag fighter. A lot of the characters feel good to play, the gems feel real good (at least now that the Reality Stone is back somewhat in line with the others) and the newcomers like Jedah, X, Winter Soldier, Ultron, Sigma, and Monster Hunter are some of the slickest additions to the series in terms of at the very least gameplay.

(Also, I have words about how bad it feels to actually play DBFZ when both players have enough grasp of the mechanics to know how to basically make 15+ second blockstrings most of the cast can’t escape without meter or deflect timing you’re not going to get via netplay, but that’s not this discussion)

That said, I can admit that pretty much everything else about MvC:I is terrible horseshit - the character choices besides the newcomers, the aesthetics, the weird emphasis on the lovely story mode- and it’s probably dying the death it deserves. But I’m still happy to play the drat game when the chance arises.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

darealkooky posted:

they removed assists because the developers thought casual players couldn't understand picking one of three options and balanced the game in a way that specifically only fucks over morrigan because too many people watching streams complained it was boring watching her throw soul fists

oh, and because of the insane way combo scaling works every character does the same damage and has the same corner carry and the same meter build off any combo and doing something more complicated gets you 0.01% more reward than doing abcd launcher abcd knockdown abcd launcher abcd knockdown

Fair cop about the scaling. I like how it makes MvCI more reset heavy along with the tag changes but if you’re coming for big combos big damage you get only half of that and it kicks in too hard too fast. My preferences are not everyone’s preferences.

The assist thing is because they did a whole new thing using Tags. I dunno what the ‘too complex’ thing is because MvCI tagging is way more complex then MvC2/3- era assists. Morrigan was a loser in the shift but there are others like Ultron who have taken up the oppressive zoning mantle.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I’m a fan of the classics.

Guile 4/6+MK

Lean-in/fade away sobats for life.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Soul Calibur is a series that has gotten worse with every new installment so at this point SC6 is poo poo until proven otherwise.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 28, 2018

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
3S is weird in that it takes a scrub-tier revelation to crack it’s highest level of infinite bullshit tho.

“Parries are cool. Sometimes I’ll just tap forward and see if I get them.”

“Huh, I see. I’ll use parries to catch people when they do big stuff I can see and catch.”

“Hmm, my opponent isn’t doing big flashy poo poo raw anymore, but these block strings they’re doing look the same. Maybe...”

“You know, I can’t seem to catch a real read anymore, but I never seem to get punished for going for parries...”

“I’m overthinking it. Imma just randomly tap forward or down sometimes in neutral and in the off chance my opponent throws something into it, I’ll blow them up for 40%.”

And then parries became the enemy.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I mean, I can understand targeting a competitive fanbase. But, I mean... come on devs, why are you targeting Melee's competitive fanbase?

They've refused to move on to an alternative game for seventeen years now. Why do you think you're the guys who are going to create the silver bullet that would finally convince them to? Because you created a mod for an existing game that made it kinda play like the game they want so it started becoming popular as a novelty? I don't get it. That seems like throwing a lot of effort and money and time at a group of players who've made an identity for themselves refusing any real substitutes for what they want.

Like, good try when it comes to the game itself, Icons is better then it's getting even if it's still probably like a third tier platform fighter. But holy poo poo, you went for like the last audience that's going to move on to a new game unless it springs out fully-formed into perfection and you were never, ever going to get them.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 6, 2018

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
The newcomers in XIV are a mixed bag of good and terrible. You get some great stuff like the Special Invitation team, Antoniov, Xanadu (even if he's garbage unplayable as a character, dear lord I tried.) and the new parts of Team Korea. And then you get the new Hero/China team who are probably the worst designs ever stuck into KoF (and I'm not forgetting Bao, K9999, or Hinako when I say that) and Team Another World, Verse, or Alice (who's like KoF's fifth run at that character archetype and second or third run at that exact character)

And then there's Team Brazil. I... really don't know what to think of Team Brazil. Like, I look at them and my mouth just forms a straight line, but then I pick up a controller and enjoy all three of them from a gameplay perspective. I just don't like looking at any of their designs.

Hein too, but maybe that's because he's a pretty boring take on Battle Butler so far outside his Climax (which is done better in Guilty Gear.) Maybe the next game will flesh out both his movelist and his character a bit.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Shiki Dan posted:

I guess he was originally supposed to be Oswald's replacement but then they brought back Oswald anyway so...

That was pretty much my exact thought like maybe an hour after trying out Hein. “Yeah, I guess this dude could be ok down the line but I’d rather have just gotten Oswald to fill the dapper man role.” And the we did get Oswald and my team finally stopped cycling around it’s third slot as I gleefully chucked cards at fools.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

In Training posted:

There was also the story about how the earthquake totally disrupted the planned support cycle and they put all their existing work into the Ultimate bundle and had to move on. But I've never known where that came from so I'm just furthering the cycle of half spoken truths

It's much more likely considering what was going on at the time that Capcom had to put Ultimate out in that timeframe because the end of 2011 is likely when Capcom lost the Marvel licence- Disney was aggressively not renewing even sales licences for any Marvel properties at the time, which is why existing games like MvC2 PS3/X360 started vanishing, in order to start developing Marvel-themed titles in-house.

That said, even if Capcom explained that, which they probably legally couldn't, that still wouldn't mollify a playbase who's $60 purchase was obsoleted in ten months, even if UMvC3 was priced to move. It probably should have been pushed as an update like the later versions of SF4 were (and this might be the reason why SF4 Arcade Edition and Ultra were downloadable updates) but hindsight and time constraints and the earthquake and possibly even licencing agreements all might have gotten tangled in.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I wouldn't expect too many surprises this year at Evo- there's too many staples/new editions of staples right now. SFV, SC6, T7, Smash Ultimate, and MK11 are all pretty free guesses. DBZF is probably still gonna be there after being so goddamn huge last year unless the game has completely capitulated by now. The last two will probably go to some combination of BBTag, Melee, DoA6, and Guilty Gear, in order of how likely I think each of those will be chosen (barring DoA6 blowing up like woah at release for some reason, at which point it'd probably lock the 7th slot) Stage is likely the first five above unless DBZF somehow gets another massive turnout despite half the playerbase claiming it's a dead game walking for the last six months.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I used to have a 27" version of that bad boy and only retired it when I moved up in the world to 1440p 144fps. It currently sits at a friend's place, king among displays at it's new home even ten years after it's purchase date. It was what I played SF4 and Blazblue and Smash Brothers on until like 2017 and my only disappointment with it is that the speaker on it is kinda meh but I had everything plugged into a headphone receiver so it was all gravy.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Barudak posted:

I would like a 5v5 fighting game where each team is a sentai robot with all five players having to do inputs to win the match.

I'm not sure the world is ready for QWOP Fighters

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

In Training posted:

Well there's only one good SF game in like 35 releases so i think that's understandable

Not every Street Fighter can be Alpha 3, aye.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
BB Tag's probably got the most obvious reason- they just launched their 'Season 2,' including even an additional new series, ln like March.T here's either going to be a reveal of another round of characters or a sequel, one of the two. It's pretty clear ASW got this slot long, long ago and nothing was going to budge it out- not SamSho surprising everyone with it's attendance numbers, not UNIST becoming the darling of the scene- this slot was bought and paid for long before the announcement of the Evo Roster to advertise.

MK11 also probably got shoved in for a chance to roll some DLC character footage. It's also a brand new game from one of the sponsors of the event, and the only reason I figured it might not have been on there before is content advisory.

SF5 being the penultimate game and Tekken being the finale make sense- Capcom probably wanted the more 'prime' timeslot when it comes to Twitch and arena views (being the final game last year hurt it heavily on both, from what I understand) while Tekken's the game that's had the biggest and most colorful stories come from it's competitive scene in the last year of all nine games, so giving it the final bow gives all of Sunday to build up whatever 'plot arc' comes out of Saturday night. I wouldn't be surprised if Evo was the launching grounds for Seasons 4 and 3 respectively, either.

Smash is there because lol did you see those attendance numbers? Even if they don't show a thing at Evo (and they might not- DQ Hero will be out and Banjo will still be months away by Evo's end) they're there because it's pretty clear SmashU is this year's actual big event.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Yeah, from Soul Calibur 4 on, I'm pretty sure Soul Calibur hasn't gotten away with poo poo for being as thirsty as it is. A long-running joke at this point is that staying within proximity of the Soul Edge offers untold power, an insatiable thirst for souls, and a complimentary boob job. Ivy and Sophitia's breasts are bigger then their heads yet their tops aren't made of enough material to create a bonnet, forget a shirt.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Isn't it the DoA volleyball game that has cemented its horniness factor for the wider public

Edit: I see this was mentioned earlier, I wish SCVI didn't have the clothing destruction mechanic and maybe DoA is unfairly tarred these days, I heard they toned things down with the latest one

I mean, the first game was released in the states with a magazine ad campaign focusing on the three sizes of it's girls and it's copious jiggle physics. DoA started horny and then began walking it back starting with 4- although never so much that it shed the identity. SC's kinda always been baseline horny (Ivy was in SC1, after all, and Taki's bodysuit always clung tight) but didn't really start getting DoA-levels about it until 4 introduced the clothing destruction and really amplified the 'appeal' the designs of most of the female characters.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I... like most of the V newcomers? I mean, I’ll take F.A.N.G., Laura, or Rashid over any of the 4’s first four newcomers any day. Some of the others are... less good later (Ed’s a fun idea but I hate everything about his look and play style, ditto Falke) but we’ve still also gotten some good stuff like Menat, Zeku, and Kolin and... well I like big dumb Abagail anyways. I even like most of the updates like mayor Cody and college-age ghetto job Sakura.

Nothing stacks up to Juri or Hakan, but those were some A-tier designs that outclass most of the other SF cast.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 1, 2019

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/bandai-namco-games-byob/

Namco build-a-bundle, 3 to 5 games.

Tekken 7 (& the season pass), SC6 and DBFZ are all there, plus some arena brawlers or whatever (I had no idea they brought the Saint Seiya one to Steam)

I did not realize how much Bandai-Namco stuff I already had between personal interests like Tekken and other Humble Bundles until I tried to build a three-item bundle without touching Naruto/Sword Art Online nonsense and wound up at Ni No Kuni 2, Ridge Racer Unbound, and then... Impact Winter, a game I’m aggressively disinterested in once I saw the trailer. So now I turn for suggestions.

Is there anything among that list that’s a good bet for even people uninvested in a series like Pirate Warriors 3 was? Just a good ol’ time regardless of the skin it’s wearing.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Keep working on it. I made the opposite transition a couple years ago when I got tired of taking my stick everywhere, and if I jump into a game without warming up on pad I still sometimes try to jam special moves too jerky and fast for a game to properly register the inputs because I'm used to having to do the bigger motions of a stick. At least I've dropped the problem of constantly getting a pad to register QCF/QCB motions when I go from crouching to walking forward/stand blocking.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Hobojim posted:

Real question: Did anybody even want an all stars 2? I remember when the first one came out and people tried it for a week and then went back to smash because it sucked rear end. Didn't it have something stupid like You can only kill with a super?

I dunno, my group had some fun with it for a couple months, then got another after the DLC hit. The Supers-to-Kill mechanic was pretty unbalanced in 1v1 competitive (it basically separated the cast into characters who could combo their lv 1 reliably and those who needed to either really work for it or just couldn’t) but it holds it’s own as a fun goofy party game, and getting two good players playing good characters could lead to some fun stuff in teams.

They also at least leaned into their gimmick- there was a lot in the game built around the super meter mechanic and it made for some interesting gameplay like, say, trying to keep someone off their level 3 in an FFA by using ways to deplete their super meter. The game was better then what it got, even if it still kinda set itself up for failure. I’m down for them to take a second stab.

E: Also, the netplay worked better then it ever did in any Smash game, including Ultimate, so there’s that.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 9, 2019

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I'm happy we're getting a new game from where Rev2 left off. It'd be a horrible tease to end Rev2 on Sol and That Man finally moving to resolve their grudge just to cut to reboot.

Not to mention, y'know, losing the opportunity of finally getting That Man as a playable character.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

chumbler posted:

I guess Ram wasn't that popular compared to Elphelt? It's a shame because I think she's the coolest of the Xrd original characters in concept.

Both were really popular as characters in terms of design and story.

It’s just that gameplay-wise, Ram is one of the hardest characters to play well and gets much harder against opponents who know at least the basics of how to play around the refractory period of placed swords, while Elphelt is one of the easier characters to pick up and learn (if a little weird from a traditional fighting game mindset) while also being a top 3 character in every version of Xrd. So you see a lot of one and not so much of the other.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Dracula Factory posted:

I'm not educated enough in the field but DoA looks like it has plastic people and Tekken has flesh and blood people and I'm not sure how they pulled it off.

The main difference is that DoA is more interested in the flawless features of their cast, so they have a lot more smooth, unblemished features (even the men) then the Tekken characters) on top of generally brighter, harsher lighting on most DoA stages, giving everything a kind of unnatural smoothness and softness.

That said, female Tekken characters are absolutely not immune to this either- just-released Zafina is a prime example herself, as are the Xiayou and Lili (although I suspect it's almost intentional in the latter's case).

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I mean, this argument stops holding water the second people stop using just PS4/Xbox One pads. The moment people are buying and bringing third-party controllers that aren’t the system default they’re spending resources they could be investing in a Hitbox. They could have chosen to get a Hitbox but didn’t because reasons. You don’t punish the guy with the Hitbox because other people want to buy what they feel is an advantage, just not that one.

Also, there’s the accessibility issue where there’s a real advantage to players who have various impediments using a Hitbox over an Arcade Stick or Pad. I’m not going to say those can’t be overcome, but not everyone who wants to learn how to play fighting games is as badass or devoted as BrolyLegs.

Say what you want about the Smash community (and gently caress those guys) but at least they got ahead of this problem ages ago by having most tournaments only allow GameCube pads since early in the Smash 4 era.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

HerniaFlange posted:

V Special rules and has the giant cannibal demon that takes up half the screen and sounds like Homer Simpson in it. I still need to look up how the Shadow Haomaru guy works though.

Rasetsumaru is all about two thing.

Rage.

And shoulder checking everyone to oblivion.

Rasetsu's rage builds the fastest and his WFT is absurdly fast and comboable, so you want to be looking to land it at every chance, especially because without a weapon 623C is basically unpunishable. Which is great because it cancels from drat near anything and is itself a combo starter/extender. Getting disarmed in SSVS is bad in any scenario, but it's pretty much an assured round loss against a good Rasetsu unless you know the matchup really well since you are basically gonna eat shoulder meat until you die choking on it.

Outside of this obvious snowball scenario, he's an ok poker/zoner but he struggles to deal with the opponent's pressure if he isn't on point. He's kinda feast or famine but that quick-building rage and sheer threat he represents both in rage and once your disarmed means you can't count him out until he's dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

HerniaFlange posted:

He does, but the self-damage move and the fireball that doesn't do any damage always made me decide to come back to him later. I guess that time is now.

The self-damage move is slow and bad. The tornado seems bad, and then you learn that it causes juggle state and you have shoulder charge to convert it into damage from basically anywhere. It's real drawback is that it's startup is S-L-O-W so you mostly want to use it from a very long distance or if the opponent full commits to defensive posture (since Rasetsu recovers quickly after throwing it, it's not the worst way to force the opponent to let you into 5B range without bumrushing/outpoking you.) Despite looking like Haoh's tornado, you can't use it remotely anything like that.