Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

In Training posted:

I thought blade arcus huffed farts.

I don't think anyone in the US has played the game enough to form an opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

How can KI be anime when only one of the European characters has blonde hair and he's an actual viking, and there's another actual viking that doesn't have blonde hair? Furthermore, only one character has blue hair, and that's the werewolf. Also, only one character speaks japanese and she's a vengeful ghost from feudal Japan and she isn't even cute or childlike or have a huge rack?

Seriously though, KI is all about horror movies, Ray Harryhausen, Universal Monsters, 20th century Fox sci fi flicks, etc.

Because the true essence of anime is that anime can be anything to anyone. If you will it to be anime, it is.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Night Blade posted:

As it turns out, the Wii U gamepad is a dogshit fighting game controller, but Tekken Tag 2 Wii U is a ton of fun with all of its extra bullshit modes. Unfortunately, the shitheads at gamestop gave me a scratched disk, so it stutters during loading and menus.

Does a PS4 to WiiU adapter even exist? Does the WiiU have any decent fightpads that aren't for smash?

Mad Catz put out Wii U fightsticks when TTT2 first released.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Brosnan posted:

I wonder if T7 doesn't have capos bc it's part of the initiative to be friendlier to new players.

I know nothing about Tekken other than I have fun mindlessly playing it and watch streams whenever Markman/Aris are commentating, but isn't Lucky Chloe supposed to be a pseudo-capo or am I way off the mark?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Endorph posted:

Ocelot: This is the greatest fighting game ever made - Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator.

Typical Smash Player: What's the point of a fighting game, if you can't edgeguard?

Look here pal, everyone knows that edgeguarding, omni-directional blocking, and analog movement are tenets of fighting game genre.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I get the impression no filthy gaijin arcades are gonna get this? I know the original Nesica x Live online thing didn't work in America, period, even if you imported a cab.

There's not a chance in the world. At best Round 1 will get a version of the cabinet that has no netplay or ability to update 2 years after the fact.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I seriously don't get why these arcade systems are specifically locked to Japan. Do they straight-up just not want gaijin money, in the manner of some of the weirder doujin devs?

Because modern arcade cabinets are based around an internet infrastructure America is not capable of. When you play versus people on most Nesica cabinets you're not actually playing the person sitting next/across from you. You're connecting via the internet and playing a netplay game, it's just the latency is so good in Japan, the difference is negligible if you aren't looking for it. Arcades in America carrying Nesica cabinets is basically the equivalent of someone playing Phantasy Star Online 2 with a fan translation, it's not intended, but the developers aren't gonna stop you from throwing money at them. Lastly, there is not enough of an arcade scene in America to justify Taito setting up a US branch, create servers, and run support for said servers. Much like PSO2, the numbers just don't add up.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

Why aren't arcades dead in Japan

I think a lot of it has to do with the types of games that are in arcades are more popular in Japan. Fighting games and shooters have always been bigger over there. Likewise, the ways in which those genres have progressed over the years lends itself more to Japan. Look at all the waifus in the latest Dodonpachi release (I know this isn't exactly a huge game), and the fact that Blazblue far eclipsed the popularity of Street Fighter IV in Japanese arcades. The stuff coming out of Japan went down the otaku Rabbit hole and moved further and further away from stuff that has a global appeal. Lastly, Japanese arcades moved to a format of machines where the game the machine was playing could be swapped out for another one, see the Neo Geo MVS/CPS2 as well as modern stuff like Nesica x Live, whereas US arcades stuck with the one machine/one game format that arcades started with (the exception being the Neo Geo MVS). Also, arcades in America got a really bad stigma of being a place where gangbangers/drug dealers hung out, whereas the Japanese view these places as a bar/place you can go to after work or school, and not somewhere a parent wants to keep their kid from going. I'm sure there are plenty of other reasons, but those are the ones that jump out at me.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

bhsman posted:

Happy to hear about SFV getting some arcade presence, but I'm kinda shocked KOF14 didn't already.

They have an exclusivity deal with Sony, so they may not have wanted to hurt that relationship by announcing the arcade release at the exact same time. Or it could be the internal team wanted an arcade version but the Chinese publisher (who I imagine are the ones that secured the Sony deal) made the developers put priority on the PS4 version first and the arcade version was secondary. Also, given the size of the team it was probably easier for them to focus on bug testing/updating a single version, and then porting that final product to arcade, rather than having to do all the work simultaneously on two different versions that are running on different hardware.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

his game is poo poo

Were any of the SNK Atomiswave games any good? I remember King of Fighters Neowave looking like complete garbage in the few screens I saw.

FanaticalMilk fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 21, 2016

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Xand_Man posted:

So I played about 10m of Blade Arcus; why does it belong in the airdasher thread? It's Anime as gently caress but it's otherwise a pretty chill footsies fighter.

Because of the aesthetic and the fact that most of the known players that play these games are associated with the anime/airdasher scene. As far as the gameplay goes, both Blade Arcus and Koihime Enbu have much more in common with SF/KOF/SamSho than they do Guilty Gear.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

In Training posted:

Don't forget that Tekken 7 will be PSVR compatible

Have they detailed what that's gonna be. Because Summer Lesson w/ Akuma would be pretty dope.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

sounds good as long as dimps isn't doing it.

You'd hope, given how sucessful UMVC3 was with no after-launch support, that they'd bring back Eighting and whoever at Capcom worked on it. But knowing Capcom, they'll gently caress it up somehow.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Captain Baal posted:

As long as they get Eighting and Niitsuma again then the game will either be good or be bad and fun

Do you think the powers that be at Capcom are capable of the rational and thoughtful decision-making required to come to this conclusion.

Keep in mind, this is the same company whose CEO had to make a public statement saying, "We will strive to release finished games in the future".

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

anime was right posted:

rf2 is pretty fun, so either dimps isnt that bad of a company, the talent left, they got lucky, or capcom whipped them into making shittier design choices

I don't have a source for my quotes, but I remember someone at Capcom in the runup to the release of SFV saying that Capcom's internal team had more involvement with SFV than they did with SFIV. So my guess is that Dimps is alright, and a lot of lovely design decisions came from Capcom. But again, this all pretty much baseless speculation.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

Necalli's priest of Huitzilopotchli costume should be his default look

Agreed. Honestly the thing that sucks most about him and most of the lovely-looking characters is the godawful physics or lack thereof on any piece of hair/fabric that doesn't have scripted animations. Like if Necallis' hair had actual animation and wasn't just a loving Havok Physics engine demo dumped on someone's head I think the whole dreadlock thing would look a lot better.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

On the other hand you can't deny that SFV would be a vastly improved game if everyone ragdolled when they got KO'd

Imagine if you could continue comboing a lovely ragdoll body after the round ends. It's Marvel combined with Dark Souls, the best of both worlds!

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

So how many times do I have to fill this out to get a new Virtual On? Or to get VOOT ported to PS4?

I doubt it'll happen so long as Gundam Vs. is a thing.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I already do, I just have a special soft spot in my heart for Virtual On :negative: (Not that I'm not excited for the new Versus though.)

Also I want a dual stick controller I don't have to pay 600 dollars to import or have custom made. :downs:

I own two of the Virtual On 360 sticks that Hori put out (the second versions made for Virtual-On Force). If you're interested send me a PM with an offer.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Countblanc posted:

in terms of who owns rights to what, what are the odds of mvc4 getting a PC release?

Probably pretty drat high, most Disney property games come out on Steam and I can't think of any recent Capcom release that hasn't come out on Steam as well.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

dragon enthusiast posted:

Capcom Cup is hosted at PSX so the distinction is moot

Something I didn't realize until reading the Capcom post about Christmas DLC is that the first day of Capcom Cup is actually being hosted at the Esports Arena that WNF takes place at. Then the Top 8 is being hosted at PSX the following day.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

The announcement is at the PSX keynote on Saturday apparently.

Iron Galaxy is streaming MvC3 in about 5 hours.

Unless a bunch of people are making stuff up then marvel 4 seems like a certainty.

It's fun to think about Iron Galaxy giving UMvC3 the same treatment they did with 3rd strike and ST; a fresh port with GGPO.

I don't think Iron Galaxy ever ported ST, though I could be misremembering. I think it was just 3rd Strike, Darkstalkers, Final Fight, and MvC Origins.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Tekken probably is just too much work for anyone who's not already in.

I have a feeling Justin will invest time into Tekken once the home version is released if only because he has a decent background in the game from previous iterations.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Zand posted:

that's for old version but I think she's still godlike

Is the steam version the same as the update that was recently announced at the Japanese tournament or is it something in between the PS4 version and that recently announced one?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Brosnan posted:

My impression is that it'll have a full MKX-style story mode that's done in-engine and jumps in and out of fights, etc.

But probably also a lot of other poo poo.

Michael Murray said that Kuma's outfit is his Tekken Force outfit. I know nothing about Tekken so maybe it's from a previous game's Tekken Force mode, but I took it to mean the upcoming game will have a Tekken Force mode in which certain people have a unique costume.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Zand posted:

I had no idea there was such a thread I only read fg threads

edit I can't find the thread please link

Here you go Zand: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3796452

Now answer my question about Nitroplus:

FanaticalMilk posted:

Is the steam version the same as the update that was recently announced at the Japanese tournament or is it something in between the PS4 version and that recently announced one?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Spuckuk posted:

It's bad Virtua Fighter with titties.

Still better than SFV by a margin

Is that really true, I've heard that DOA 5 is a marked step above the previous games and a pretty good 3d fighter if you don't go into it looking for a VF/Tekken substitute.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Zand posted:

ssf2 speeds apparently.. lol capcom

Capcom Japan still can't own up to two decade old mistakes.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Goku/Vegita/Gohan do seem to have a fair bit of overlap on moves but I'm assuming they are intended to be that way. Guessing once you really get into it, their differences will be much more obvious.

I can't find the tweet, but I believe someone at Arcsys said all of the characters they've shown so far have a very "orthodox" style, i.e. none of the characters with crazy mechanics/move lists have been shown yet.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

In Training posted:

mostly every FG specific website I've seen kinda blows but I check them every friday to see if a game I like is being played in some far off country

To be fair, they don't even do a good job of that. SRK didn't have anything about the Red Bull Proving Grounds until after it finished. Also, it seems like more and more I see events cause of people that I follow on twitch that are never mentioned on any of the main sites. As far as a website that is good for promoting events and weeklies, there's basically nothing outside of Twitter.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Guillermus posted:

There's a good sale right now on PSN and I got my eyes on two games:

I've played pretty much every KoF until XIII on PC (I own all Steam releases), is KoF XIV a good game for someone that is pretty much casual? Casual in like playing history mode and playing local co-op with friends. Is 19.99€ a good price or should I just keep playing older KoF games (I own 98 on my 360 too!).

I liked a lot GG Xrd Sign on PC aswell, and I heard that Rev is a step up and is 12.99€. I'm a newbie when it comes to GG games but I played with friends and everyone loved how ridiculous it is.

Also, there are two BlazBlue (a series I never tried) on sale, Central Fiction for 19.99€ and Chronophantasma Extend for 7.99€.

If I had to choose one (because I'm getting GG Xrd Rev for sure!), wich one should I get from KoF XIV (a series I know) or a BlazBlue one?

I don't know which one to reccomend, and you probably already know this, but both GG Xrd Rev 2 and KOF XIV are available on Steam. Not sure if they are on sale during the Steam Summer Sale or not though.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

I started playing asuras wrath and am dumbfounded how capcom managed to make a decent template for a fighting game story mode but failed to put it in a fight game in favor of the hot trash cutscenes in sfv and mahvel

It's because Capcom didn't make Asura's Wrath, CyberConnect2, the guys behind the Naruto games did.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Morrowind is to Two Worlds, what Killer Instinct is to this.

But seriously, I don't want to look it up to spoil the truth, but this looks like the janky European PC RPG developers made a fighting game.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Fayk posted:

I'm a bit late but just wanted to say while new players who wanna 'git gud' in fighters WILL need to put in the effort (if the game is easier, it's easier for others, so whoever put in more effort may well destroy you), but Sirlin knows his (intended) audience. It's just a poor choice for him to expect people to go look up terms in a dictionary. But that's why I'll continue to lament how the genre is poo poo at teaching.

Adding to that the fact that the jargon can differ by subgenres and there are so many terms across all fighting games that it's very easy to make tutorials and guides super overwhelming.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Which channel will run Dragon Ball finals?

Cartoon Network

It'll be MCed by the Toonami dude.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

My crazy theory is the reason why there isnt a name yet is because the last reveal trailer will have Ryu, Ken, Guile and Sakura and it will be revealed as Street Fighter EX4

I think they've come out and said the name is finalized but are still in the process of securing rights to the name in Japan, everywhere outside of Japan, they are already covered.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Ixiggle posted:

They are unique characters. Everyone is gonna have to get over that you're gonna be able to pick 3 gokus in this game, and that its Good.

It wouldn't be a DBZ game if you couldn't pick multiple versions of the same character.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

Are lol characters unique looking and interesting or are they bland as hell like dota characters so you have to buy a hat?

DOTA is known for it's character design in comparison to LOL.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

CharlestonJew posted:

it shows you how little of a poo poo Capcom gave about the game when they didn't put in Jack Baker

The fact that Chris looks nothing like he does in the upcoming RE7 DLC and Spencer is still the same design from the Grin-made Bionic Commando are really the most egregious examples of laziness. Like they were so focused on regurgitating the models and animations from 3 they couldn't even update the design of their own characters to either something new or something that falls in line with their current look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

DLC Inc posted:

lol I need to find that article about the made-up terms Smash players use now. "Guessies" was incredible.

Was it an article or was it like everything else nowadays, a random amalgamation of Tweets that are impossible to dig up 2 weeks after the fact.