Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Wasn’t that a smash 4 tournament or something? And people were harassing him because he only beat someone “better” because the tournament allowed items or something. It was really stupid and lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

What’s wrong with Nicalis again?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Interesting, thanks. I googled about it a bit and apparently there was also some shady stuff going on where they ripped off some cave story fan translations/mods and put it in the full game, which sucks. I always thought there had to be something weird going on with how much they kept rereleasing the same game over and over.

Not gonna lie though despite all that I still kinda wanna buy this game

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Zand posted:

switch pro controller is absolute trash even on non fgs. you have to disassemble it to fix it... the wired hori pad is probably better

Could you expand on this or link me to something about it? Haven’t heard anything bad about them before.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Is it bad that after finally playing cross tag battle that I really want to get under night now? Not even because I’m interested in the gameplay per-se, because I just want to know what the gently caress kind of game produces characters like these?

Like, I’ve just never been this curious about a game before. Even if I hadn’t gotten into fighting games with p4a, I don’t think this game would have made me that much more interested in the series. The characters are cool and all, but everything feels pretty normal. Same with blazblue, I feel like even if I didn’t already know about it I would probably write it off as something cool that might be interesting to play sometime.

But under night gives me a powerful curiosity I’ve never gotten before. Hyde looks normal at first but his animations are just different enough from my expectations that he gives off a completely different vibe than I initially expected. Orie (who my phone won’t stop autocorrecting to Oreo) is apparently a persona character??? Carmine has the personality I’d expect someone who looks like as much of an edgelord like Gordeau to have, who seems like a real chill dude???? How the gently caress is Waldstein such an absolute unit????????

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 2, 2018

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Tales of Woe posted:

Blake is theoretically good but her combos are pretty hard in a game where everyone else's are piss easy

I really want to like Blake but I don’t understand why the j.B 5.B link is so incredibly weird and difficult to do consistently. Then I tried out Chie and effortlessly got 5.5k for mashing my face into the controller

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Chie is really weird because if bbtag Chie was in persona she would be super nuts. Bbtag Chie does way more damage, has access to meteors without having to worry about awakening, and oh yeah can reverse beat from 5b into 5a like what the gently caress

Except none of that means poo poo in this game because there are characters with options beyond “throw themselves into you”

E: https://twitter.com/cythrin/status/1019807742033317888?s=21

This was day 1 Chie for me and I thought I was gonna be hot poo poo until my friend kindly corrected me with some hakumen/gordeau and I went from “how in the world is Chie not top tier in this game” to understanding why real quick

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is FFXV worth playing if I enjoyed Persona 5 and Xenoblade 2?

I didn’t play xenoblade 2 but like all good and cool people I enjoyed persona so I’m gonna go with a solid “maybe”

Ffxv is not what I’d call an amazing game and I can’t even call it great without several huge caveats but the one thing it does really well is nail the “group of bros hanging out” dynamic like persona 5 has. Even better than persona 5 does imo. There’s a lot of rough spots but when I finally beat the game 70 hours in I didn’t regret my time spent at all. The royal edition has the dlc from the base game and fixes some obnoxious plot holes and stuff

If you ever play it I recommend the way I did it which is to get a chocobo as soon as you get access to them and just do a lap around the world while exploring and doing side quests. Do all the side quests when they come up each new chapter unless they sound really obnoxious and by the time you get bored of doing so the game will put you on a fast track to the end

E: also look up ffxv weapon tutorials on youtube, the combat system isn’t great but there’s a bit more depth than there appears at first

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

In Training posted:

Labrys, Aigis, Vatista...who's the other robot girl? Is Nu a robot girl or just a girl in a mech suit, I'll confess I'm ignorant when it comes to BlazBlue lore

*drags big rear end encyclopedia from other room, cracks knuckles*

Well you see in timeline A,

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

So I got UNIST and after getting through like 30 or so of the 180ish (:wtc:) tutorials a few of my friends peer pressured me into a lobby. After seeing a match between two people who kind of knew what they were doing I managed to overcome my suspicions that the game and excessive amount of systems weren’t actually real and it wasn’t an elaborate troll my friends were playing on me and get through a bunch of tutorials and man this game is really nice. Pressing buttons in this game feels so drat good.

I feel like I have to unlearn a ton of habits to properly play this game though. My fighting game experience is basically persona > a tiny bit of blazblue > dbfz > cross tag, so the concept of normals progression not just being being a > b > c is going to get some taking used to. Are there any vids on general stuff I should know about or should I just keep experimenting on my own and doing the tutorials before seeking out character discords or whatever?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Thanks for the unist advice. This game is a lot deeper than I’m used to but not in a bad way. I feel like if I had seen this game when I first got into fighting games I probably would have bounced off it hard like I did with skullgirls way back when, but now that I can appreciate the mechanics I’m loving this poo poo.

E: not that skullgirls is bad or anything, it was the first real fighting game I ever bought and wanted to be serious about but I remember showing it to a friend who showed me p4a in response and I ended up loving it too much to ever go back

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

https://twitter.com/hookganggod/status/1047747673024073728?s=21

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I'm fine losing repeatedly offline because it's all usually in good fun but if I go on a big losing streak online I have to take a step back and stop playing for a bit. I just get more and more frustrated and start playing worse which just leads to more losses. Making myself switch games while I get over it or go mess around in training mode really helps.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Roses are red
violets are blue
I don't care for furries,
but Sonicfox? Cool.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

This granblue game is the quickest I think I've ever gone from cautious hype to near indifference

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I really wanted to get into soul calibur 6 but I also started a new job recently and every time I think about putting the disc in my PS4 I end up playing something I already know instead

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I never played the patch since it never made its way over here but I can't help but wonder what exactly they thought was going to happen when they buffed shadow characters like that. I thought they were supposed to be poo poo on purpose because otherwise this ends up happening

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I fell to blue square in bbtag and it's loving wild down here. I didn't think this was actually a thing people did but it really feels like people try to fight me specifically for an easy win and get incredibly loving mad when it turns out I actually know what I'm doing.

Like I've only been down here like a month or two but the amount of DCs I get from yellow/orange squares when I'm beating them has easily tripled. People leave the station after a single match, sometimes even if they were the ones who won the round. Every other person I fight does incredibly unsafe poo poo expecting me to not know how to deal with it and I have to beat once or twice to make them actually take things seriously. One person literally lag switched me.

This kind of owns. gently caress pink square, blue is where the magic happens.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

In Training posted:

That's funny because the way squares work is that fighting a color that isn't yours doesn't matter. A Pink losing to a blue does nothing, and a blue winning against a pink does nothing. You only rank up and down within your own color tier.

People seem to really just want to beat up on low square dudes to make themselves feel good, it looks like. I'm also willing to bet some of it is people mad they're losing to Chie of all characters.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I just realized, with Videl in dbfz season 2 you'll now be able to make a team with 18/Videl/Ginyu and have a total of nine different characters on your team at the same time :eyepop:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Apparently it's not quite that clear?

https://twitter.com/notrevenant/status/1118340836310360065

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

They gave Chie a loving gun

I wanted slightly more reward for hitting people outside of the corner with her but holy poo poo

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Why is everything in granblue so weirdly safe? The pushback on block combined with the low movespeed makes it weirdly difficult to punish things outside of like, whiffed supers. It felt like there was no reason to ever not use a special at the end of a blockstring because it deals chip and moves you out of easily punishable range for most characters.

Also grabbing felt weird and I can't really articulate why. You can't really use it to punish someone after blocking because the range is too small and they get pushed back, but trying to use it in a scramble I kept getting hit out of it for some reason. I had more luck literally running up full screen and grabbing.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Honestly considering the state the game was left in for nearly a year the numbers for bbtag don't seem that terrible.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

As someone getting back into fighting games proper with dbfz I didn't have a lot of the problems I saw people here complain about initially at least, but for me it was more that arcsys started removing literally every cool thing I was having fun with. A21's 2m being a fun button to make people check their approach? Sorry, cut the range in half and make 3m scale twice as hard.

Oh well, I still have cool double super stuff, right? Doing a super and keeping the combo going afterwards was the absolute coolest thing to me as a babby fg player but nah, that went too.

Well okay, all that stuff might be gone but at least I still have cool stolen move loops with A21 if the other person has the right team and I can actually get my steals in and my horoscope reads "great fortune" and the day of the month is divisible by 3. Whoops nope that poo poo's gone too.

Someone made a post in the dbfz thread that was like "at what point do you stop beating your head against a wall and realize the direction this game is going isn't for you" and I figured that made a lot of sense so I went to bbtag and never looked back

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

DMCV is kind of an interesting case because everyone pretty much agrees it’s incredible but it seems to have actually turned the super hardcore fans off. A lot of the stuff that was possible at super high end combo video territory is basically gone and it apparently feels really bad to play if you’re the kind of person who spent thousands of hours in dmc 4 over the past decade. Capcom's response has basically been dead silence so a lot of the high level players seem to be dipping.

I kinda feel for them but also I’m literally never going to use most of the stuff they care about so it’s not a huge loss to me. Game still looks and plays great to me.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Both are extremely good but UNIST takes a bit of getting used to before it makes sense and anyone remotely competent at “playing UNIST” will murder you because there’s a lot of poo poo in the game that will seem extremely bullshit until you understand the system.

You’ll also get extremely murdered in bbtag by somebody playing properly but you’ll at least see the train that hit you. Cross combo stuff can get complex but you can also just do a basic string into dhc and delete the majority of anyone's health bar so

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Lemon-Lime posted:

Not really? The only thing it does that's really different is the GRD system and you can just do the handful of super short tutorials that explain that (or watch a video on it, I'm sure someone has one up).

I’m pretty sure when people say that it takes some time to figure out they mostly mean understanding just how important vorpal is and therefore how important winning and managing the grd cycle becomes.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I got Tekken 7 a couple months ago when it was super cheap on PS4 and the lack of any kind of tutorial completely turned me off. It looks really fun to play but I'm the kind of player that likes to have a general understanding of what I'm doing before I play against people.

I did find a playlist on youtube that helped explain things a bit but I just kind of...never got back to it.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

https://game.mirai-media.net/blazblue-ctb-specialedition/

So with the new bbtag update they're adding a new mechanic where if the timer hits 80 seconds everyone's meter automatically starts filling.

Seeing gcyoshi time people out with yosuke/hazama must have really rubbed someone down there the wrong way

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I was labbing once and discovered that for Chie because of the way the combo scaling works you actually do less damage if you use 5AA to hitconfirm into her bnb vs 5A or 5AAA

A autocombos are awful

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Hell yeah my boy Adachi made it in! :woop:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=628W18b3QgU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N4-150OFvA

I saw something about melty grand finals at ceo being really good but stumbled across this while looking for it. Did melty people also get mad at this or is getting mad at people playing their game in random places a new thing

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Boogalo posted:

Eightarc having a qanba sale. Drones for $60, Obsidian for $160. Free shipping in the us. If you're just starting out, drone plus a sanwa JLF lever for another $25 is probably the best kit you can assemble for under $100

https://www.eightarc.com/

edit: er obsidian $160. gently caress. phone posting.

I've never gotten a stick before but I've been interested for a while, based on what I'm seeing people post about the obsidian here would I be crazy to jump on this sale before it ends for it?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

or by opening their ~s e c r e t   w e e d   c o m p a r t m e n t~ midmatch

Wait hold that's the stick I ordered from a few pages ago, what's this about a secret weed compartment

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

chumbler posted:

I generally fall into a pattern of getting fixated on landing some particular thing, which isn't really a game plan, or just trying to react to what they're doing, which between latency, flat guess mixups, and my old man reactions doesn't work too well. Running a consistent plan is definitely something I need to work on.

I suck at reacting most of the time and like to drink while I play which probably doesn't help at all so instead of reacting I just make educated guesses about what I think they might do and it usually works out. I'll gently caress up teching gold throws in unist but I'll be damned if I'm gonna get hit by some incredibly telegraphed overhead again. It also helps me open people up myself, trying to think of ways to get in that they aren't looking for.

Alternatively, you don't have to block their mix if you never give them a turn in the first place

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I only got to watch a bit of the melty pools and unist top 16 but god drat climax was incredible.

Buy a loving shirt

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

https://twitter.com/Yoshi_OnoChin/status/1191854662028103681?s=09

10 more years of SFV, huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I'm glad people are finally realizing how stupid good Chie is because I felt like a crazy person for the last year seeing everyone put her in like bottom 3 even pre patch