Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Under Night In-Birth Exe Late Ex Plus Whatever the Hell That Game is Called is on sale on Steam right now. Does anyone know if this mofo's worth 20 bucks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

I'd play a lot of SFV if Q was added and good.

Same. I love that trenchcoat-clad metal man.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

To those who recommended Under Night- thank you! This game is extremely my poo poo, and I look forward to spending many hours in the lab experimenting with it.

How does Melty Blood compare to it? I've watched some pro matches in the past but I've never really come to an opinion on it.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Can anyone explain what the hell "meaty" means in a fighting game context? I've been seeing it pop up everywhere as of late. Does it just mean something that's safe and has a lot of options?

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Just in case anyone thinks this dumb screenshot is true;

Ant-Man is a rip from Marvel Heroes using his civil war costume

Rashid is obviously ripped from SFV.

What a lot of work for such a dumb forgery. Plus it's got, what, a lifespan of a day before the actual Marvel announcement (if it is happening)? At least the person who made the lovely-looking 4 image jumped on the bandwagon quickly enough to get some mileage out of it.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Looked like Akuma was doing some very light... air combos? Maybe Capcom's trying to do new stuff for next season, make this game more fun?

Also, MvCI has already done right by me via the inclusion of Mega Man Muthafuckin' X. So far, I'm a happy monkey.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

xmen, so zero

Actually, recently in Squirrel Girl there was a story beat about how she's not technically a mutant- probably to make it easier for her to appear in multimedia stuff like this.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite could end up being a divisive game. Although the Versus series is often seen as a chaotic display of flashes and super moves, it has a surprisingly consistent core. Three-versus-three battles, assists, and a six-button layout have defined the series and for almost two decades have held the attention of a hardcore group of fans. Speaking with representatives from both Marvel and Capcom, the first two of those three core tenants are gone in Infinite, and they wouldn’t confirm the third.

Infinite’s fights are fought two-on-two and without call-in assist attacks, which might make some series fans a bit skeptical. But the move didn’t occur without a lot of consideration. The team at Capcom considered the decision for a long time before settling on two-versus-two for the sake of accessibility. Although frantic combat is core to the series, Director of Production at Capcom Mike Evans wants more casual fans to be able to jump in without being overwhelmed; in Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, each player had to choose three characters from an enormous roster, then choose one of three assists for those characters. In Infinite, you’ll only have to select two characters and one Infinity Stone.

That trade comes with its upsides, even for more seasoned players. For one, you can now instantly swap in characters at any time. You can do this mid-combo, similar to Marvel Vs. Capcom 3’s aerial TAC combos but faster, and available on the ground as well. Capcom hasn’t nailed down specifics about how often players will be able to swap characters this way, but mentioned the goal is to give combos the freeform feel and endless permutations the series is known for. Having two characters makes this system far more manageable, since players will know for sure which character they’ll be swapping into during their combo, instead of having to memorize their team order.

To expand the number of options further, Capcom has removed the old “X-factor” mechanic from Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 and replaced it with six Infinity Stones. This not only hints at some of the potential plot points in the game (since the six stones are a nod to the Infinity Gauntlet), but acts as a way to customize your two-person team. The two Infinity Stones we were shown had "power" and "time" abilities. Power seems to increase the potency of each attack, while Time acted as a way to increase mobility and combo potential. Each stone will grant one ability that can be activated at any time, and one stronger ability will be more rare (again, the team has yet to work out the specifics of how they will limit this ability). When I brought up Street Fighter V’s V-System as a potential reference point for Infinity Stones, they instead pointed me toward Capcom Vs. SNK 2’s Groove System.

Part of the reason for this new system is an attempt to even the playing field. In the Marvel Vs. Capcom competitive scene, you tend to see a core roster of characters that recur, and many other characters that are left by the wayside. In the game’s early life, some characters were chosen purely for their assist abilities, acting less like actual characters and more like tools. Capcom’s goal with Infinity Stones is for them to work like those throwaway assist characters, making up for the deficiencies of a particular team, enhancing its strong points, and acting a sort of comeback enabler. A Marvel Vs. Capcom game with a balanced roster still sounds like a tall order, but Infinity Stones will hopefully make that task easier.

When I asked them whether the simplified approach to team building also meant fewer buttons to use, Capcom wouldn’t confirm anything. Instead, they told me that they’re hoping to make the game as comfortable to play on a controller as it is on an arcade stick, so newer fans don't feel like they need to purchase the latter to compete.

The last big question for a Marvel Vs. Capcom game is the roster, but Capcom told me at the start of our meeting they wouldn’t be revealing anyone other than the four characters shown in the gameplay trailer shown off at the end of tonight’s Capcom Cup finals (Ryu, Mega Man X, Captain Marvel, and Iron Man). However, they did offer a few details about their direction.

When I asked them about the rumor that the game’s roster would not include as many (or any) characters from the X-Men or Fantastic Four series due film rights issues (the current film series for those franchises are owned by Fox and not Marvel Studios) and would instead favor characters already in the Marvel cinematic universe, Creative Director of Marvel Entertainment Bill Roseman didn’t tense up the way PR folks tend to when you ask them a difficult question. While Marvel wants to take a forward-thinking stance with the characters they include in the game, he wants to make sure fans of all of Marvel properties, including X-Men, were happy. “That heritage is not lost,” he told me. Not the straight answer I was looking for, but it left me hopeful about my chances of Berserker Barraging people as Wolverine next year.

Roseman and Executive Producer at Marvel Games Mike Jones also emphasized that they’re looking at this project the way they have all of their recent projects in games, film, and television (Jones brought up Insomniac’s upcoming Spider-Man game and their current run of well-regarded series on Netflix as a reference point). They want to make sure Infinite’s use of the Marvel license is well-earned, and mentioned the game will have a more expansive, cinematic story mode this time around. “We want to make sure this game is dripping with Marvel,” said Roseman.

I wasn’t able to get my hands on the game itself so I can't speak to how all of the new ideas in Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite come together. That said, the big picture of Infinite sounds like a huge shift for the series. Reducing the character count and removing assists sounds like it could cut down on the flashy, ridiculous fun that has made the series so popular. But while it may not be the comfort food fans are looking for, I prefer that a series known for chaos go for broke when it comes to making changes, rather than play it safe.

This is great info! Thanks for bringing it to us.

Also, Jesus you guys are cynical. I mean, I know Capcom's got a pretty bad standing at this point, but this is like, day one reveal; there are still a lot of unknowns about the game. For the moment, I'm happy to just revel in the fact that there's going to be a new Marvel Vs Capcom, and it looks cool :D

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Zand posted:

ah, yes, spoken like someone who doesnt play fighting games at all (or is terrible at them)

I should have realized that conveying mild excitement over a trailer would reveal what a scrub I am.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

I'm still losing it at the team saying "We want more variety, MvC2 and MvC3 didn't have nearly enough variety" and then looking to loving CvS2 of all games for inspiration.

Man, I would be okay with the lack of variety in character selection if MvCI can move away from the year long touch-of-death combos that plagued every high level MVC3 match. Also, I would be forever content not to have to see anything like ChrisG's Morridoom shenanigans ever again. It's Mahvel, not Ikaruga.

Baba Yaga Fanboy fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Dec 4, 2016

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

i remember hating watching morridoom at first but it turns out that was just barely scratching the surface on how goddamn boring umvc3 could be to watch

That's a good way of putting it. I was, perhaps inelegantly, trying to say that I hope MvCI is arranged in a way that emphasizes both players getting to move and fight more continuously, rather than one player lightning looping until the end of time or morridooming their opponent while they sit in the corner and cower.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

FANG still has probably my favorite theme of V, I love the hell out of that sound. That and the weird sleeves aside I like his design a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvOm2m-1wfw

Same; one of the good things about SFV is that you can customize the menu music. I've got it set to FANG radio- all FANG all the time.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Holy poo poo I can't believe Goichi pulled that off.

This man's expression speaks for all of us.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Glenn appears just in time for Negan to beat him to death with the bat; his eye flies towards the other player and hits them for 75% damage

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Madmarker posted:

Speaking of Big Band this is the best end to any fight possible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3xb_ovaN7I&t=4168s

(If time code doesn't work, skip to the 1hr 8min mark.)

Yo, if we're talking rad Big Band moments let's recall this beaut:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd6yg-5lSKY

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Captain Baal posted:

Ragna calling Bullet Butt Floss was a good insult, he had a lot of good shittalking thank god they brought his english va back in bbtag

Yeah, the english VA cast going all-in on the kookiness of everything was half the fun of those games. I ditched BB when they ditched the english voices.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Medullah posted:

Young me just always assumed Guile was the main character because he was American and had history with the final boss. Why would it be a Japanese dude??? Young me was dumb.

To be fair, in Street Fighter: The Movie, Guile was totally The Guy, so that could have had an effect on you somewhere along the line.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Why play SKULL GIRLS when you can play ARM JOE? We've got:

-Les Miserables!
-Robo-Valjean
-Regular Valjean!
-So much more!!

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

same

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

MechaX posted:

Huh, looks like the GranBlue season pass is $35 which is... more than the first one I think with the same amount of characters + no stages? I guess you could use/resell one of the things included for the mobile game but, uh... that’s... kinda pricey

Also, has anyone ever seen Granblue on any kind of sale? I've had my eye on it on PS4 but have yet to ever see a discount, which sucks because I'd like to play the game but I'm sure as hell not investing $120+ bucks into it

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Futurama X Guilty Gear when?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5BtM6qmfhE

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Capcom vs. Square might work. They've got a ton of interesting IPs to work with- Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Hitman, Tomb Raider, Just Cause, and Deus Ex just to name a few.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

Is the Blazblue collection of games worth buying or should I just buy the latest game?

I feel like Central Fiction really suffers from not having an english dub, both because of the assload of voice acting that went into the visual novel aspects of it and the cast is pretty drat good

Patrick Seitz is especially good as Ragna the BloodEdgelord Who Is Actually Pretty Chill While Also Hilariously Harried By The Insanity Around Him

chumbler posted:

I won't hear anyone talking poo poo about my friend Ragna T. Bloodedge.

:hmmyes:

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

5 NEW CHARACTERS! a ~34% increase in roster size. Holy loving poo poo. You cannot stop a Showstopper.

Rad! Looking forward to seeing what else comes along as Skullgirls crawls back from the grave

Also, someone in this thread put it perfectly when that clip first surfaced: that the Big Band player took the time to learn that exact song for that exact situation meant that fight was over before it ever began

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

Mortal Kombat 11 is on sale on the Humble Store right now. I was thinking about buying it now that I've got the arcade stick, but it looks to just be the standalone game, with none of the DLC. Should I wait until the DLC is on sale?

At this point the whole kit n kaboodle goes on sale so frequently, and there are so many cool DLC folks to play as, I'd suggest waiting to grab it all at once

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Overbite posted:

No, the single player in those is still a fighting game. I’m talking if like the single player was something different like some third person action game or an rpg but the multiplayer mode is a fighting game. I realize this would entail making two different games but if they are gonna start charging 70$ a game I expect more game. And some potato salad.

Look at this ill-informed plebe who hasn't tasted the sweet nectar of Ehrgeiz and its extensive dungeon crawler mode

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Elvis_Maximus posted:

This but unironically

I think Garou is the loudest fighting game I've played, every single effect is turned up to 11, it's bonkers

Garou came out in that weird era where it was very en vogue for menu sounds to be absolutely bananas-town in fighting games. Ehrgeiz, Guilty Gear, so many others have those crazy-loud menu noises.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TQl4sam2GY

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

canoshiz posted:

Did we already forget about Smash Ken vs SF5 Ken

Yes, because to acknowledge Smash Ken vs SF5 Ken acknowledges the existence of SF5 Ken

And no one wants to do that

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Sorry if this has been asked before, but there's a whole boatload of SNK fighting games on sale on the PSN right now. Anyone have any recommendations for some must-haves amongst the bunch?

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Gonna spike Batley's rear end offa Eureka's Castle

Bitch about Binya-Binya being OP

Grind Doug into the dirt where he belongs

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

I hope all the Nickelodeon fighters have fatalities.

And after each fatality a big bucket of bright green slime pours over the corpse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjMJkT0uBhY

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Give us Geisha Leopaldon you cowards

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Gologle posted:

The guy they got to voice act the new Power Ranger does a pretty good impression of the original actor's voice.

Pretty sure that's him- Johnny Yong Bosch went on from Power Rangers to have a hell of a voice acting career. Dude's been in a ton of video games and anime. Hell, the reason they have Adam beating up on red quantum ranger is because JYB is the voice of Nero from Devil May Cry, and red quantum ranger's voice actor is Vergil.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Endorph posted:

Theyre finally dubbing it

I'd fuckin love that. BB's english cast owns

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I'd give mortal kombat a try if it wasn't for the horrific fatality stuff

Yeah, I seriously do not enjoy 99% of them anymore. The old ones were cartoony violence that, while sometimes yucky, didn't churn the stomach the way the modern poo poo does. Knowing that a bunch of artists and programmers were also traumatized in making them makes it even worse.

I do like playing Pretty Kombat Princess Dressup, tho

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

im happy voice actors are getting work

Same. Even if the game is bad I'm glad to see the voice actors getting proper respect

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Gavok posted:

Chicken Boo should be the Kirby of Multiversus.

Why would a regular, very normal, everyday guy be the Kirby of Multiversus???

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Lots of fighting games on sale atm. I'm thinking of checking out one of the old King of Fighters I've never played- any recommendation between '02 Unlimited, 97 Global, or 98 UM? I'm not looking to play this online that much, I mostly just want a bunch of different characters to mess around with.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Electromax posted:

I actually learned a tiny bit about GG lore for the first time this weekend after playing it for 20 years.
https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1488278373264617479?t=cqyFOrbx1LbwtejqNmcdPQ&s=19

Wow. Baiken sure has changed since GG1

Also Electromax I really appreciate the work you put into video game cartography. I always take the time to look through your work anytime I see it pop up in a thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

No I've been following them, I just am unaware of what Rising Thunder was like.

It's also the source of this amazing rage clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBxp3I9vKlU