Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Just the main character's sprite, as far as I can tell; they even own up to it in the FAQ. They've got everything budgeted out pretty well it seems; a large chunk of the funds are indeed going towards their own hitstun effects and SFX. I just don't know if they're going to get anywhere close to their goal, seeing as how this is about as indie as you can get. Also, don't like how deep they threw GGPO integration into the stretch goals; rollback netcode is fast becoming the standard for a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Guess we're still doing this, huh?

Skullgirls
ST
Uhhhhhhh KOF 98 I guess; maybe Melty, but I've only just started learning that.

Actually you could probably replace 98 with any game featuring Terry. I really like Terry. Melty would be a top tier game if it had Terry.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

anothergod posted:

Is anyone here going to check out Combo Breaker next weekend? This is the first time I'm going to a big video game tournament, and I'm kinda excited and unsure of what to expect. I'm not competing, but we applied to show our game at their indie cade, so I'll be there aaalll weekend. Any tips/tricks/etc to have fun and/or just be **cool** would be appreciated.

Come to the Skullgirls Salty Suite; I'll be the guy getting planted six feet under by everyone (literally, if they're playing Squigly :v:).

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

You also don't have to worry about HEAT activation in Full Moon; it happens automatically when your meter tops out. E in Full Moon just does a meter charge.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

Wait I thought SFV also used that driver and just really sucked at implementing it

That is correct, as did MKX at first. Don't know what Naughty Dog has to do with anything.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

Did Lupe Fiasco actually compete in the Street Fighter V tournament? I know he was at Combo Breaker, but not sure if he participated.

From what I heard, he only got there on Saturday, so couldn't participate in the tourney. Cool that he stuck around though.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

has there ever been a good fighting game

Breakers Revenge.

Which just so happens to be winning in the tourney poll :smug:

(I voted for VSav :sigh:)

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

That was, in fact, this year's Combo Breaker.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Not in the slightest, but we're in the middle of finalizing a very contentious last balance patch, so maybe wait a month or two before jumping on, unless you're cool with having to relearn a couple characters after the patch drops.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

FanaticalMilk posted:

Also, I remember when Melty Blood on Steam first came out the CCCaster guy tweeted about implementing his netcode into the Steam version. Has any more news or even a potential timeframe come out about the update?

No news or timeframe, other than that it's still gonna happen.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

As a SG player, I can confirm this as truth. What you may not know, however, is that each and every member of the SGC is also Canadian. It's why we have a reputation as being such a welcoming community. Yes, I am including the Japanese in this.

TLDR: Please play Skullgirls please.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Yeah, arcade uses a totally unique engine that FBA doesn't emulate. A pity, guess I'll have to keep pushing it at local events if I want to play it with people :v:

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

It's fairly different, from what I understand of UNIEL (full disclamer: haven't played UNIEL yet, have spent some time in MB). Melty tends to have more of a focus on air footsies in general compared to UNIEL, where the only character to have full control of air movement ala Melty, is in fact the girl who came directly from Melty.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Shiki Dan posted:

Skullgirls is great in so many other aspects that sometimes I REALLY wish its gameplay was much better.

Nah, its gameplay is wonderful for what it's designed to do. It's just that what it's designed to do only appeals to that subset of the FGC that really really loves resetting people every other hit. If you don't like that type of gameplay, then yeah, it's just not for you. That's still a valid reason to dislike the game. Certainly more valid than the weirdos who keep screaming about SG being an SJW paradise or something for removing like 2-3 frames of panty shots like a million years ago, or whatever the "artist" formerly known as Cabbagepots' beef with the game was.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

ADTerminal posted:

In terms of a stick that has all the options for training mode, you probably want a TES+ or a Hori RAP4, both of those have touchpad support, but I'm unsure about the TES+ having certain buttons like L3 and R3, which I know the Hori RAP4 has.

I have a TES+; can confirm that it has L3 and R3 buttons. (I had to send my first one back to Mad Catz, in fact, because the L3 button on the board was borked and permanently stuck on. Replacement's been perfect so far).

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

I'm in. Also, sup Wheeling dude; I'm right on the border of Arlington Heights, Wheeling and Prospect Heights.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

From what I can tell by what's legible, it seems to be the controls for some sort of drawing program

Yeah, Taito used that to make the sprite artwork on their games back in the early 90's, from what I understand.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

No video, but I dug up this article with more screenshots after a bit of searching:

http://videogamesdensetsu.tumblr.com/post/160230210495/when-graphic-designers-from-taito-snk-and-other

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Reminds me of the cheap-o PS2 stick I have that I modded with scotch tape after an attempt to unscrew the bottom caused the screw holes to disintegrate.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

In Fightcade related news, you can now download the new Fightcade if you made your account back in 2014: https://twitter.com/fightcade/status/923843619618017280

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Attacks in the air in VSav are chain-able on hit or block, just like on the ground. VSav/VHunt 2 changes this to a link system. That’s really all there is to it.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Excuse me, but I think you'll find that Mike referred to it as +R' on his blog, thank you very much :colbert:

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

It's plenty good as long as it's implemented properly (sup SF5), though I'd probably grab the PS3/4 Fighting Board anyways, just to be safe rather than sorry. But yeah, if you don't want to shell out the money for the board, the legacy drivers should work without any problems.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Countblanc posted:

is Thems Fightin Herds out yet

It’s puttering along in closed beta still. Apparently it’s slow going adding in the animations, as the last time I checked they still had a bunch of placeholder animations in for various characters (I think it’s like 70-80% complete at this point). Gameplay looks like it’ll be alright, though.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Personally, I'm just waiting on Arika to finally push Tetris the Grandmaster 4 out the door (gently caress you tetris company, give Arika the license already).

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Last Blade 2 got a Steam port a couple days ago: http://store.steampowered.com/app/702110/THE_LAST_BLADE_2/

It's been ported by CodeMasters, not DotEmu, so it should be a pretty decent port all told! No word on how netplay is, outside of "functional."

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

I was going to go to CB, but my new puppy got an ankle splinter, so I have to keep an eye on him :( (At least I was only spectating and not, you know, actually signing up for one of the brackets, but I’m still bummed a bit)

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Poniard posted:

The TES+ is alright but a lot of the ones shipping out recently have PCB issues. I bought one on sale but it wouldn't work on PS4. I like the case though.

Yeah, I like my TES+ a lot, but I had to ship it out for a replacement due to a sticky L3 button that turned out to be a faulty PCB. I got it back a few days before the bankruptcy announcement from MadCatz. Buying one new and in box would be a crapshoot; I'd look for a used one with no confirmed defects if I were going for one at all.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

DoubleDonut posted:

the best yearly tournament to watch is the Vampire Savior tournament at Combo Breaker imo

:emptyquote:

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

General Morden posted:

aren't you the sg dude who views that game as like masterclass fg design

because i truly believe that fg is a chore to play once you actually get good at it

He's not, and even if he was, I'll also step up to bat for SG and defend it. Like yeah, if you don't like resets, you aren't going to like SG, because it's totally reset city, but the thing about getting good in SG is that you'll start to see the resets coming, and can react accordingly. Like, you can pull off some really dirty poo poo in that game, but generally you'll always have an option to get out of the mix.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

General Morden posted:

5 paragraph long explanation of undizzy mechanic

Hits after a certain point in a combo grant undizzy. If undizzy gets high enough, you can burst out of an opponent's combo. Sometimes people will make a combo that will trigger a burst intentionally, so that they can punish afterwards and reset the combo.

There, I've described everything important about undizzy in less than a paragraph. Just say you don't like the game or Mike Z or whatever, nobody cares.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the resets aren't even the problem, that part's actually fun

the problem is there's a lot of poo poo you can do in SG that is way too safe for how advantageous it is. there are characters (and teams) that are high risk / high reward but they're the exception rather than the norm

This is a fair point, yeah. It doesn't bug me too much, but that's just a personal thing on my part.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Pomp posted:

UNIST is cool and every character feels good

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Dias posted:

If Daigo is actually serious about playing hitbox - and Daigo is secretly one of the biggest complainers in the FGC - , it's gonna be interesting seeing what happens.

Reminder that Daigo quit VSav and went back to playing Hunter because he thought Q-Bee was bullshit.