Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

So... I guess he's going to go back to competing?

I ask this because I genuinely do not know what Rosas actually did at Capcom besides making multiple PR blunders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

So I picked up Under Night Late on the Halloween Steam sale because I picked up the game when it first hit on PS3 and remembered liking it, but also don't remember why I stopped playing it.

Holy hell why is Yuzuriha so hard to play despite how I like her the best

And holy loving poo poo what is with this demon bird Hakumen looking motherfucker with noodle arms having full screen grabs

And what in the gently caress is with this dude with the full screen scythe attacks

But besides that, the soundtrack has some absolute bangers.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Okay, so who besides Seth Killian would fit the criteria of having deep connections with the FGC and esports, and have 6 to 8 years of PR experience?

Actually screw it, have FChamp apply

In Training posted:

Its weird that like 90% of the responses are people asking for dubs.

Nah, Central Fiction needs that dub.

Xrd not so much.

MechaX fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 2, 2017

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Yeah, this might be a bit of a (glorious) poo poo show. I'm imaging players trying to map punch buttons on the touch pad or swapping the start button to square or some poo poo.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

CRISPYBABY posted:

Speaking of handwarmers, one of the guys (Joey Fury?) in the Tekken tournament yesterday literally came onto stage wearing heavy winter gloves. I've yet to figure out if it was an inside joke or if the man takes the blood circulation to his hands very seriously.

I have always been curious on what the going rate is for carpal tunnel syndrome with a lot of long-time pro FG players, especially Smash and Tekken that require lots of hand motion in rapid succession.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Battle for the Stones was going to be an absolute poo poo show already, but with these adjustments on top of it?

Oh man I am not going to miss this for the world.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

With Azrael, my friend now has both of his boys in the game (with Ragna) and I still don't got poo poo to match.

The cosmos can at least take pity on me and give me Naoto (Persona Naoto, please god not BB Naoto)

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I would love to play Xrd more over CF personally, but currently IRL friends are on CF something fierce. The one I play with the most loves Es and that bitch is annoying as gently caress to deal with.

But I like playing as Nine, so my goal is to get good enough with her that I force my friends to quit and go back to Xrd.

Kagura is fun though, even though I hate charge characters

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

Would you honestly like advice? Because this is a very real thing people go through.

Noel Brown goes through poo poo like this, sure.

But starting a fist fight over losing a video game no matter how salty you are... I can see just not accepting the shake, but throwing hands? Not so much.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I haven't kept up with Melee since undergrad, but I have heard that the skill gap between a lot of brackets of Melee players is absolutely insane these days, which feeds into this kind of hero worship.

There is baggage to go around across all fields of the FGC, but Smash players do have a disproportionate number of people who love spiking their controllers after getting some salty losses. And I think one dude punched a hole in the wall of a public place? Man, save that poo poo for your own home

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

CRISPYBABY posted:

Play games with IAD's and learn them. They're good for you.

I ended up getting an arcade stick around the time Persona 4 Arena hit, and it was rough doing IADs. But after learning that a 9 input works a lot better for the jump, getting used to it got a lot easier.

Playing Nine in BB and Ky in GG is also getting me more accustomed of to Super jump and Jump Install stuff. Of course, it took me a few years to get comfortable doing a lot of this stuff without killing my hand.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

CRISPYBABY posted:

It's possible to do an IAD with an input other than 9 neutral 6? That sounds horrible.

9 neutral 66 is what I typically do now, but when I first got the stick, I was trying 8 on either side like a dummy. I hold the stick between my ring and middle fingers and going from 8 down to 6 always sucked more than just trying to do a diagonal.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I... didn't even know the game had wall jumps, but that was pretty sick. Comments are saying it's unblockable too?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

mango sentinel posted:

Danger Time Owns

My friend plays Leo and I always just want to put down the stick and forfeit if Danger Time comes up

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Top 10 Anime Fights

There is a certain sense of solidarity when, possibly without a single word, someone goes Dragon Install and you as the other player are like "gently caress, I'll go full dumb with you" and also Dragon Installs.

I have certainly never seen such with other fighters anyway (except maybe Tekken).

I am also playing BlazBlue with IRL friends and every moment I wish I was playing Rev2 instead, so go with Rev2.

MechaX fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 7, 2017

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

DoubleDonut posted:

now that's the video quality I want from a fighting game montage

Man I remember the days when people were passing around VHS tapes of matches.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

If Kilik is back, I am all in.

Loved playing as that dude, and then SCV happened

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Sade posted:

Hello everyone, Sade here from* Namco** with an exclusive† announcement‡: The first batch of guest characters for SOUL CALIBUR VI will be Son Goku (Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan), Baby Sidon from The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Champions' Ballad, and A Slime From Dragon Quest!

Like a Metal Slime or something, Healix, or just a generic Slime?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Romes128 posted:

sakura, blanka, sagat, cody, and another dude announced for sf5

hmmmm.

Don't forget about Female Ed.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

dragon enthusiast posted:

time for Dark_Price to start his comeback tour

The FGC of today isn't ready for Dark Prince.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I tried putting SFV into the disc tray and played about 4 matches, and couldn't wait to stop to play something else.

Don't be like me and sink 500 matches in a game that you just don't like all that much because it's the "popular one." Or in other words, don't Mike Ross yourself.

Endorph posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Kappa/comm...nes_discussion/

did this get posted yet

even if it did, lol

But that's two hours of Chris G!

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

I also bought it in the sale. Havent been online yet. Seems like you need to have good coordination with a teamate and i dont want to ruin any japanese teens day with my scrub play

It's okay, most of the NA players just run off and 1v1 people, so there's rarely teamwork!

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Zand posted:

its pretty neat how after battle of the stones all the pro players dropped the facade and are pretending like they were never shilling mvci

LI Joe got me the most.

He literally went from "yo this game is super hype, this is totally going to be my main game" to "man this game is pretty booty" even before battle of the stones.

He wasn't too hot on DBZ Fighters, which is fine, it's his opinion, but watch this dude be there day one acting like he wasn't taking poo poo on it before.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

MVC:I even hosed up the MCU angle, because people do like Gamora, but she comes out looking completely different than what everyone is used to in the GOTG movies.

"Oh, we wanted to make her more accurate to the comics."

The gently caress Capcom, you want to pull source accuracy now? (the real answer is that they probably just pulled one of her models from those Marvel mobile games)

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

anime was right posted:

lol they nerfed a bunch of bad characters because of course they would

At least Juri might be better now, maybe.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why would the characters being able to do throw after throw be a bad thing? Couldn't the opponent just tech out of the throw?

It created the problem where top players would rather just get thrown over and over than miss a tech due to the shimmy/jab, possibly get crush countered because they read it wrong, and then eat 70% of their life.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Pomp posted:

there's so many solutions to this that don't involve making bad throws even worse, such as making a good game with good baseline damage instead of having everything be like a slap on the wrist except crush counters

I definitely agree that there are definitely too many ways they could have done this. Based on that Ken video comparison floating around, now it just seems like you just comically slide two feet away but if everyone except probably the top 5-7 characters are going to have stubby everything, well..

mango sentinel posted:

Yeah, watching a tournament match where someone lands three to four throws in a row used to be galaxy brain yomi poo poo but it happened like one out of every three rounds at Capcom cup. The problem isn't throws being are good, it's that all the options against them suck poo poo. Capcom's solution: nerf throws in a cartoonishly artificial way.

I remember back when SFV first hit, people were blasting the poo poo out of Justin Wong due to eating three grabs in a row, and I get it; getting grabbed that many times in a row usually doesn't seem like something that ever really happens especially if you play at that kind of level. Fast forward to the past year, commentators are now like "I'd rather eat the throw than miss the tech and have this Urien/Balrog/etc run a train on me straight into Stun City, and then do it again."

Like, I know that SFV is usually better in my head than when I actually play it, but the S3 changes so far still are like "is... this really how you want this game to be played?" But eh, we'll see once more stuff trickles in.

... Or I could just play Under Night because learning Yuzuriha is kinda fun despite how I'm rear end with her. Hm.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

The correct answer by a long shot.

Right after that post, I booted up Under Night and played for a bit in Arcade and Training, learning how some of her stuff connects together, and was like "... you know, maybe I should give SFV a chance today." Went and downloaded the update for it and everything.

Played about 5 rounds as Cammy against some good opponents for my lower level, and then sat with the game running for about 2 minutes in pure silence. All I could think of was "... did I have fun with those matches? I... honestly cannot tell." Afterword, I just said gently caress it and booted Under Night back up.

BB Cross Tag needs to stop playing around and put in characters I actually give a drat about across these series

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Menat is pretty fun at least, but it's a shame she's not in a better game.

Though I'll say, I've started playing SFV again and have fun, weirdly enough.

I love Menat even though I will never actually muster the patience to practice with her.

Of course, Capcom definitely wants people to play her in the most unfun way possible given how they hosed over V-Trigger combo scaling (which is crazy because her KOF-esque combos are what makes her stand apart), and they really, really want to make her Orb-less attacks better and maybe her Orb attacks shittier.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

So I played my friend who plays Raven and this brings up a lot question I had on his pressure (assume I am Ky).

So say he knocks me down in the corner and he uses the Orb for oki and I’m blocking.

If he’s setting up that command grab what should I be doing? If he correctly guesses the diagonal grab, I’ll just get snatched if I jump. For the normal command grab, I’ll usually get snatched unless he fucks up the timing and I don’t know the matchup well enough to know if Ky has something faster or safer.

I want to try to learn how to deal with this situation at least before he starts learning IAD mixups

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

The only HnK character will be Toki, and I know they would charge $30 for him if they could (but in exchange, he's still just as broken as he was originally).

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I look forward to playing a team of Dad Buu, Kid Buu, and Mom Buu

When do we get Teenage Older Brother Buu

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

https://youtu.be/q2DdLudUoRA

Pack it up guys, Fighter Z is done.

Some of the comments are out of this world.

“You can only move 4 directions in 2d, therefore it has less gameplay depth than the 3d Games”

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I have spent my entire weekend playing Street Fighter V, and I think I have said more expletives in the past two days than I have for the entirety of 2017. And upon taking a break, I asked myself "Did you have fun?" and I replied "Not really, but I am angry for some reason."

I am become LowTierGod, the Destroyer of Controllers, Bearer of Salt.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Should I play FighterZ on PC or PS4

Majority of the community will likely be on PS4.

But if things go well, PC should still have a pretty sizable base for while (in other words, it's not probably not going to pull a Marvel Infinite and implode in less than a month).

Either one is fine. If you have friends picking it up, go with what they're going for.

MechaX fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 23, 2018

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Reiley posted:

Confirm dhard into lair lair dj mair dhair

When do we fast fall L-Cancel

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Xad posted:

excuse me I think you mean SHFFL

When playing Samus in Melee, I had to SHFFL into D-Smash into Sex Kick all the time

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Oh poo poo, my boy Killik is back!

What Soul Edge what the fu-

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

fadam posted:

I think my brain might be going through a smoothening. I'm having more fun with AE Abigail than I am with DBZF

Understandable for right now; I mean, would you rather play a frenetic team based game that might be one of the better anime fighting games in awhile

Or make an opponent feel perpetually shitless because of your 9 foot tall 500 pound man who likes to wear car tires who punches really, really, really hard in comparison to the opposition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I don't even watch RWBY and Blake and Yang seem pretty cool.