Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

lamentable dustman posted:

A couple months after NRS said MKXL was not coming to PC and we were being abandoned they are releasing MKXL on PC. There is free beta weekend if anyone want to try it out.

Downloading it now but I'm sure it is poo poo

I'm super curious to know what they're going to charge existing owners for it. Because it better be pretty dang cheap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

Zand posted:

sfxt was better than sf5 lol

Nah, not even close.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

Momentary Life or bust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBUWLMbuTgo

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

Is it just me or does everyone in Fantasy Strike look like they're trying to move through molasses? Like, I'm nominally okay with a slower-than-Marvel pace, but holy poo poo everything just draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaags. The throw whiff and windup on this DP super in particular

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

loving finally.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/520440/

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

MvC3 is going to be on PSN later today I guess. Neat.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

Harlock posted:

They can put them in it, but they don't want to help advertise for the other film studios. Fantastic Four and X-Men have kind of taken a back seat over the last couple of years.

They've been doing more with the X-Men in the past few months, so I wouldn't give up all hope on them yet.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

Gavok posted:

Basically, what happened was back in the 90's, Marvel decided to make a quick buck by selling the movie rights to all their properties.

To add on to this, Marvel was going bankrupt at the time and very much needed the quick buck. They were no where near capable of making these movies themselves, which is why the sold the rights and why the deals are so lovely.

http://screencrush.com/marvel-bankruptcy-billions/

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/ApologyMan_/status/805133454102839296

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

Overwatch is a good game, but it's not really a great shooter. It's much more focused on positioning, timing, and ability usage than it is shooting mechanics. It doesn't scratch the same itch as something like Titanfall if you're looking to play a more traditional FPS.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

Dias posted:

They're completely different games, it's almost like comparing Smash to SFV.

Yeah, this is exactly what I was trying to explain (but poorly). Overwatch is a fun game that I enjoy playing, but it emphasizes very different things than CS/Quake/whatever.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

Pomp posted:

i know nothing about titanfall 2 except what i know about titanfall 1 aka cod with robots but unless it's the second coming of quake 3 i'm lolling at this post

There's a free weekend going on right now, you should probably give it a shot. It's real drat good.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Is there a thread for anime fighters

Are there any out where I can actually get a game online or do I just have to pick one and dragoon my friends into it

There's a general thread for airdashers, which is basically the same thing:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3793219&pagenumber=14#lastpost

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

attackmole posted:

I bought the deluxe Revelator PC edition even though that one didn't give me the already owning Sign discount cause I wanted the DLC chars, the colours, and money was burning a hole in my Paypal account. I'm a bit of a sucker, but I'll be damned if the whole package doesn't feel nice.

If you had waited like, another hour you would have gotten the Sign discount on the deluxe edition. It just took them a bit to get the store working right.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

attackmole posted:

Ehh, really? I think that was just the original 10% launch discount they were having issues with, not the 'complete the collection' one. It is kinda silly that it only let's you 'complete the collection' with the deluxe edition if you've got the deluxe Sign (which I don't), but I don't think it's an unintended issue.

I like these games enough that I'm willing to be ArcSys's bitch. For now.

You can get 19% off if you own any version of Xrd and buy in the first week:

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

beergod posted:

Since you all love fighting games but hate sfv, what games are you actually playing consistently in tyool 2017? Skullgirls and divekick?

Revelator is real good.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

giogadi posted:

Has a release date been set for Tekken 7 already? I thought it hadn't, but the amazon store page lists it as coming on 3/31:

http://a.co/f7fEpS0

That's almost certainly a filler date for Q1'2017. Amazon loves to do this kind of thing, I wouldn't put any stock into it.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

In hopefully less controversial news than octogates, I finally found a battop that I like.

https://arcadeshock.com/collections/balltops/products/sanwa-denshi-lb-30n-cw-clear-bat-top

I've tried like two others, but they were both a lot heavier (the metal Sanwa one in particular was super heavy) and felt so bad. This one is lighter plastic, though still obviously heavier than any ball top, and feels great. My hand doesn't feel as cramped and I'm able to be more precise/ride the gate less with it, which probably makes me a weirdo, but hey, battop supremacy!

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

Is Rev2 good/shaping up to be good?

There has been exactly one loketest, so I don't know if there's really any kind of verdict yet.

But it has Baiken, so yes.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

Dias posted:

Smash 4 is the Sunday game instead of SSBM. If you know the Melee community...

edit: write-in vote for Melty Blood, friends. We can do it.

(i think it got like 6 bucks last vote, hehe)

What's the full list of Sunday games? Anyone know?

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

Pomp posted:

SFV, BB, Vote, Smash 4, Tekken 7

It's weird to me BB made it to Sunday over Rev2. I didn't think that many people were still playing BB but I guess I'm comparing anime to anime so who knows

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

Also, you don't really need a huge population for a 1v1 game. Like, I'd always welcome more ofc but 350 at peak isn't as dire for Xrd as it is for like, Evolve or Battleborn.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

Slayer won Anime Ascension like, a month ago, if you want further proof. Also, the grand finals is a hell of a loving set:

http://shoryuken.com/2017/02/20/daymendous-slayer-squares-up-with-kidvipers-johnny-in-epic-anime-ascension-guilty-gear-grand-finals/

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

Zand posted:

wait what? is that the new one

Yeah, it's the most up to date Blazblue (for now, ofc)

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

same, I wonder if Slayer got any updates and is now higher than A tier (which is poo poo tier in GGRev)

This has to be the dumbest take on tiers I've seen in a long rear end time.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

Zinkraptor posted:

Good list. I think Hazama/Terumi deserve a mention, but that miiiiiiiiiight be pushing rule 2 a bit? I think they become fully separate entities in one of the later games? Blazblue's story is bullshit. I'm pretty sure they're the same dude at first, at least.

Also I forgot cyber-akuma was a thing and I'm glad you reminded me.

Hazama/Terumi shared a body, IIRC. Hakumen and Jin are the same person, with Hakumen being from an alternate future or some poo poo. BlazBlue has a dumb story.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

Elephunk posted:

Apparently there was a deleted Chris G tweet about how black women can't play fighting games or something? Anybody got the screencap?

/drama

https://twitter.com/queenpizzatiti/status/873316190604623880

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

Countblanc posted:

I mean it makes some sense - you want to listen to people who have some amount of pedigree with what you're trying to learn about. like who should i believe, random poster on SA who hates everything i like, or the guy with multiple tournament wins under his belt saying it's good? people aren't good consumers in general (because we aren't taught to be and there's multi-billion dollar industries ensuring that we learn all the wrong lessons) so something as weird as game design is just gonna make it worse

There's a mantra in Game Design that's super relevant here: Players are really good at identifying problems and really really bad at coming up with solutions.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

M. Bison (ST, 4, 5), Baiken (+R/Xrd), Asuka (T7), Sin, Hakumen. Like a dozen characters in smash and whatever other games.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

Korean battops work better for Tekken but idk of any place that sells them default with a stick

https://arcadeshock.com/products/sanwa-denshi-lb-30n-cw-clear-bat-top

Works with basically any stick, $6. Has served me very well

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

are the animations still ripped straight out of sf

No, they stole a ton from Guilty Gear as well.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

Countblanc posted:

does it even have lobbies or the ability to play against specific people yet

It's supposed to have the latter with this release, at least.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

Barudak posted:

If you want to learn to do commentary watch Tony Romo. He is best in the business at being affable, predictive, and knowing when to shut up and let things unfold.

The closest I've found to this is the few times Justin Wong ends up doing commentary. It's so loving good.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I appreciate the advice and recommendations! Yes, this would be my first stick. Unfortunately the sale at Newegg doesn't do much to offset shipping since I am outside the US, but that does look really attractive.

I was looking at the silent JLF-TPRG-8AYT-SK which I can get for about 5000 yen. My main concern was just trying to be polite by looking for something slightly quieter since I would mostly be playing at night.

There's a pretty noticeable difference between the 8AYT and the 8BYT, just fyi, and a lot of the reviews mention this most recent revision as a big upgrade.
http://shoryuken.com/2017/08/25/shoryuken-review-sanwa-denshi-jlf-silent-joystick-3rd-generation/

I also just picked one up myself! It feels remarkably similar to my previous JLF, but you don't have the clicking of gates. It's not 100% silent, but it's definitely a lot quieter. My wife certainly appreciates the difference, so I'm a big fan.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

teh_Broseph posted:

ABCP
D

Cause what else is the pinky gonna do

ABP
DC

If throw is gonna be two buttons, those buttons are going to be on different rows if my dumb street fighter brain is going to remember.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

In Training posted:

Yang is a SFV character and seems kind of completely pointless. She's the only one that sticks out to me.

Yukiko seems to have some real issues and not much to make her a better option than the other zoners

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

Q: Will the goon discord be a good place to go for matches of T7 while I get back into it or will I be left shouting requests for games into the void?

Lotta goons playing Tekken on there.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/Lord_Jeyu/status/1111012698282774534

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/krispykaiser/status/1135345970437214208?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

Chaotic Flame posted:

Phone posting but seeing info that they reduced the input lag in SamSho and it will be in a day 1 patch.

https://twitter.com/WydD/status/1140665092205424640?s=19

More details, for reference. They cut it in half down to 4f