Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
hey i'm several pages late but this world is too cruel and hurtful for HnK, the greatest fighting game ever made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/JWonggg/status/722574017396285441

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

dragon enthusiast posted:

Amazon probably still has wwe brawl sticks in new/like new condition for dirt cheap, if you want a starter stick get one of those and a sanwa lever instead

it's an expensive collectors item now

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is there a modern successor to the Melty Blood games or at least a sister series of it? I always assumed that UNIEL was that game.

It sort of is and it's good

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The daisy chain is for the ground connection, otherwise they'd need 10 extra terminals for grounding your buttons.

Other than that watch a video tutorial. I'm on mobile so I can't go find one.

Pomp fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 21, 2016

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
jojo's is a hard loving game that's why my entire gameplan is dashing poke buffered into red bind

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Saoshyant posted:

That's two times people have mentioned that ST in fightcade is frustrating. I thought it was still the game novices were encouraged to pick up to learn the fundamentals so I imagined the population would be disparate between veterans and newcomers. Guess not?

ST damage, hitboxes and generally being a filthy game mean you get brutally murdered in 5 seconds for any hole in your fundamentals if you're playing a vet who knows all the filthy poo poo

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

brian posted:

IMO 3S is the natural evolution of ST and yall too bad to get it

it turned FGs from rock paper scissor to rock paper scissor AWESOMEPARRY

pls play it and make your own decisions and stop giving up when it gets hard as it gets a lot better the better you get imo

once i got good enough at it that antiairing became a parry centered abstract concept (this takes like one day of applied effort at the game) i never touched it again because tbh "punish dude who's jumping in on you" shouldn't be something multiple yomi levels also i hate divekicks

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Having tournament and stream experience is good, but the constant stream bo3 casuals is the real draw of tournaments IMO. Please do not leave once you're out of the bracket.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Brosnan posted:

I have done 0-100% unlocks at least 3-4 times on DC MvC2 thanks to VMUs being the dumbest loving idea ever.

Vmus were rad as poo poo to a kid

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sarchasm posted:

I just noticed that I have a spare lever, spare PCB, and a bunch of spare buttons, so I've decided to build a spare stick. I know I could just punch some holes in a shoebox and be good to go, but what's my best bet for buying a semi-respectable case for all this?

marvelous customs make a sturdy plexi case that i see a few locals using, and arts hobbies has a cheaper one but idk how sturdy it is.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

attackmole posted:

Yeah nerd poo poo romance, woo.

What are typical tournament prices? I know that's hard to characterize, but I was eyeing this Toryuken thing in Toronto as a baby's first tourney and it seems expensive to me. 65 bucks for the venue + 10 (canada money) for the tournaments is a bit steep for me to go 0-2 to. I guess maybe I'm just being a miser because I'm thinking of it as "show up, enter, play, w/e" instead of hanging around and watching the high level stuff as a social activity for two days, but ehhhhh I'm not sold.

I guess it's a part of the Capcom pro tour and the EG guys will be there so it's a higher end, but still, eh.

a major tournament is gonna run you 50 bucks + 5-15 per game, minimum. Unless you're actually good enough to stand a chance at winning you aren't actually going for the tournament though, you're going for hour after hour of offline casuals.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also in my experience there's an anime suite at like every tournament where you can get drunk and play anime and snk games after hours

edit:i guess there's salty suites too but I don't play street fighter or marvel so i couldn't tell you how drunk they are

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
what's the smallest possible button i can buy that still has quick disconnect connectors on it

edit: i feel sorry for the sacramento TO, dude loving loves anime but look at all anyone will play

Pomp fucked around with this message at 13:45 on May 4, 2016

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
fighting games turned me into a grognard and i hate it

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
zand isn't a thread curiosity, zand is our fate

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i wanna shove sf4's potato man models and mvc3s unreadable horseshit into the face of every capcom player who says 14 looks bad

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
are you gonna tell the barely dressed big titty woman she's wrong about anything

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Night Blade posted:

There's a mandate that all fighting games now must both look and sound like poo poo.

arcsys is the hero we really don't deserve

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

NecroMonster posted:

Well they could, but Xrd sort of relies on having something like five or six sets of vertex co-ordinates for each model (so effectively five to six models for each model), a poo poo ton of model swaps (each model swap also needs multiple sets of vertex co-ordinates), and a custom vertex animation for basically every keyframe of animation, along with the armature animations, and oh yeah the armatures have on the order of 400-600 bones.

The only real advantage of what Arksys are doing is that it looks really really good and relies on very very very few resolution dependent resources.

An Xrd characters animations (the model(s) + the rig + the animations) take longer to complete than a blazblue character (which are done virtually the same way kof 13 sprites were done, only with much smaller character color pallets)

No company is going to do what Arksys did with Xrd, because it requires complete and total insanity.

Ono is an insane weirdo why doesn't sfv have that much love and care

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Marvel 3 is piece of poo poo but it's the kind of massive turd that you proudly boast about to your friends

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Broken Loose posted:

Intended effect: To artificially make matches tenser, like how MvC3 has the last 5% of the life bar hidden behind the center part of the UI.
Actual effect: Because chip damage isn't scaled, to encourage players to be more aggressive as life bars get lower.

Guts is absolutely a poo poo system and I think any form of weird abstraction hidden from the player is a loving poison on a game (see also: Hitstun decay). The only good game with Guts is MvC2.

okay

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Broken Loose posted:

Guilty Gear which I loving hate

Luceid posted:

what the gently caress

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
your posts are exhausting

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Broken Loose posted:

I hate the fact that stun is accumulated in situations other than counter-hits, as all it's good for at that point is allowing way too much damage, but it's still possible to make a lovely mechanic shittier by implementing it in a bad way.

what the gently caress is this

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

- It had virtually zero marketing
- The League of Legends-style monetization and grinding drove off new players
- Matchmaking was split into literally six or seven mutually exclusive queues + custom games, dividing the already tiny playerbase so you could never find a game
- You weren't allowed to join the main queue with two friends, you had to create a team, a team could only consist of exactly the same three players and you couldn't have more than two or three teams (I forget the exact number) without paying money to buy more

It didn't help that Riot Games did their best to strangle it in the loving crib.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Do you mean Funcom? Or do you mean Riot was sabotaging someone else's game because that sounds awful but hilarious, and I would like to know more.

Riot had (has?) exclusivity agreements that prevented events (e.g. dreamhack) from hosting similar games.

They also more recently attempted to ban teams with LoL teams from having teams for other mobas.

esports is loving garbage.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

why is the throw range so loving smaaaaaalllllllll

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
has there ever been a good 2d fg with bad throws

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Real hurthling! posted:

Also nearly every character has a fast running forward dash to throw out of.

excuse me, you have to do a very time consuming FD brake first!

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i need to play more tekken probably

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

inthesto posted:

Henry Rollins being a playable character is strong evidence in support of this claim

are all his win quotes about the violence of capitalism and also not judging people by their surface

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

interrodactyl posted:

What happens when woshige fights you and then you have to buy 800 copies of sf5

woshige gets promoted for doubling sales

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mintergalactic posted:

I bought Koihime and played it for 2 hours or so, it's a lot of fun and surprisingly easy to pick up. Is there a primer for system mechanics or character overviews or anything around?

mizuumi and failing that tweet hellabrett

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
the visuals are at least and pleasant and readable as mortal kombat x

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Flinger posted:

I wish this aesthetic would've stayed in the 00's

i hope it never leaves

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress marvel

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

arcade layout with P and K swapped, with a macro of your choice bound to second kick :troll:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Zato's rear end is a good waifu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

oh hey Injustice 2 is gonna be announced at e3

woo can't wait to play a janky game that gets balance patches too much