Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I started playing Tekken 7 on the PC and, um, the Story Mode is nuts. Is there anything nice you get out of it? I really like playing dress-up on my characters. Also, what's the most efficient way to farm gold?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
So I got my friend into USF4 because we're not sure if SF5 would work on her aging laptop (does it have way steeper specs than USF4 on PC?). We have a lot of fun even with just keyboards, and we're looking to purchase sticks. We usually meet up to play as online is laggy--are the portable sticks decent? My friend said they're not very ergonomic as you need to rest your hands, but I'm worried that full-sized sticks would be too bulky to carry around. Any advice?

Also, for a budding (USF4) player, what references/video tutorials do you recommend? We're not looking to be super competitive, just have fun while knowing what we're doing.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

dhamster posted:

I would stay away from "mini" sized sticks. If you want something really compact you can play a on pad like a DS4 or a Hori FC, though you might need to install something like DS4windows to get it to work with US4. Some of the lower end sticks (Qanba Drone?) are compact without shrinking the form factor too much, though the PCB won't be that great and you'll eventually want to swap out the stock buttons/stick. IMO pretty much any stick is portable, my friend brings his Hori Fighting Edge to locals and that thing is massive.

Thanks. I'm looking at the Hori Hayabusa since that's the one readily available here.

I also installed Fightcade, but I need to port forward my laptop's ports 6000-6009 as UDP. I also read that I need to forward 7000 as TCP? I couldn't play with my friend last night, but I'll try again later.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Could someone explain to me what "gates" are for stick controllers?

I am buying one soon. How long does it usually take to get acclimated? I have been a keyboard player.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Broken Loose posted:

the physical shaft of the joystick hits little clickers inside the game controller box machine. the gate is a little plastic ring that prevents the joystick from moving too far while you do it. lovely american arcade machines use circle gates (and infect people with nostalgia for them) but if you use a circle gate you make it harder to do diagonals in exchange for the ability to ride the gate (put so much weight into the stick in such a way that you scrape up against the gate for the duration of the motion). riding the gate is a bad habit that makes you worse at every game because it slows you down in exchange for letting you be occasionally lazier.

most sticks come with square gates nowadays. square is ideal in addition to being easy to find.

Wait... I've been "riding the gate" for years in arcades, I always push the stick as far as it could go to do motions. Maybe that's why I suck, I've been doing it wrong the whole time!

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Romes128 posted:

It’s best not to.

When you start to feel where the stick clicks the switch (before you hit the gate) the motions comes out a lot smoother. Try doing a hadoken without hitting the gate. Feels good man.

I have a bad habit of holding back on the stick for as far as it would go when blocking. So you just have to get used to not hitting the gate at all times?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Real hurthling! posted:

For tekken and sc just play on controller

Is Tekken really better on controllers? What about motions like HCBs or moves like EWGFs?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I don't know much about the FGC, but my friend who works in esports told me (around 5 years back) that the FGC doesn't like dealing with esports people because of their grassroots mentality (they don't want to do those elaborate productions like in Korea where StarCraft is the de facto national sport), but we had an esports event last weekend and there was a Tekken 7 casuals tournament. So has the FGC gone full esports or is there still resistance from people? I do think that good players should be taken care of and be paid reasonably well, I guess (bold of me to assume that pro gamers in esports are treated well, but I digress).

Anyway... I'm pretty happy with my stick. (Hori RAP.N Hayabusa) I just find the buttons a little too low, just kind of resting my finger on them results in a press. This is normal, I guess?

Some issues I have so far:
- I am still pretty bad at doing motions from the right side
- I can do 360s pretty all right now, but 720s I kind of have to mash or buffer from a jump or recovery (which is bad in a real match)
- Had some difficulty with charge special moves, but I figured them out a bit (especially down-charges)... I have to put the stick into neutral before going to forward/up, which increased my consistency a lot.
- Still have to learn how not to ride the gate. For qcfs I could sort of do it, but my 360s have some bit of gate-riding... can that be worked on?
- Still have to practice hcfs/hcbs more

I'm having fun! My FG partner also got a stick (she bought the 8bitdo retro-looking one) so we're looking to meet up and play in the near future!

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Zand posted:

its a complicated relationship but there are definitely still people with esports money in their sights trying to exploit the fgc

heres an example of a failed push from capcom, with this video citing the "rich history" of marvel gaming (accidentally uploaded to twitter by the guy that made it a while back)
https://streamable.com/i5k4p

although mvci did fail, esports folks have managed to repackage the stuff about the old fgc that people really liked and sell it back to new generations of players. we've had tournaments that had pop-offs worked into the schedule, multiple fgc reality tv shows, and sponsored game selections at evo for years. the fgc used to be more about players but as the esports disease spreads, its obvious that the future for the fgc is a spectator instead of player focus.

the basic plan from capcom for example involves pumping money into the capcom pro tour as bait to get people to play SFV. Nether Realm Studios (the mk/injustice people) will usually pump money into prize pools for already established tournaments to create hype for their new releases and guarantee players to play their games (and therefore advertise them). this approach really sucks btw, it creates a bubble of interest around the games from manufactured hype and out of control prize pools for games that have low staying power on their own. when the bubble pops and the funding for prize pools dries up and the interest cant be drummed up anymore, a new game comes out and the cycle repeats. esports is really tiresome.

the "resistance" is around but people dont talk about it that much in any constructive way

I am not really an esports person myself, but from what I see most games were not made to be esports by design (I'm pretty sure SF2 did not ship with a streaming feature back then, dunno now though), but since it is a growing trend, publishers are trying to make money out of it by making their games esports-ready. It's kind of a paradigm shift to see games like Overwatch or DotA 2 to be made with strong competitive/esports support in mind. You make a good point about spectator-focused vs player-focused though.

So if the big corporations succeed in controlling the FGC, then events will be focused on their newest stuff, because they want to sell those games which may or may not be what the players want? (i.e. SFV vs 3S/Super Turbo)

It's quite a lot to think about for me. I like old games but I'm not sure if I'll want to watch Melee or MvC2 20 years from now, but I'm not stopping people who want to organize a tournament on those games. OTOH it is quite tiresome for players (and spectators) to hop on the next big thing, if you don't like the new game system of Tekken 8/9/10 then sucks to be you.

Lily Catts fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 19, 2018

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
So our office held an Injustice 2 tournament and me, despite having zero knowledge of the game, made it to the finals using Superman. Like the first match I was paired against Green Arrow who kept zoning me out with arrows but then I wised up and found out that he was incapable of escaping the sweep punch.

I guess it was kinda fun, and I *might* actually pick it up? What do I need to know about it? Any beginner-friendly characters?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I kinda like some of the design decisions they did in V after 4 (simplified controls, V-skills/triggers), but it's not as good as I'd like it to be, and the competition is really tough? Oh yeah the input lag and bad netcode though.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
So I got 2nd place at the Injustice 2 company tournament, in which I lost to the guy who put me into the losers' bracket, and I crawled back up to win one set out of two, only to lose 2-1 in the final set. (bear with me as this was my very first tournament) That was fun! I learned from my earlier loss from him (we used the same characters throughout) so it was a big back and forth during the finals. I'll probably get the game once it goes on sale.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Broken Loose posted:

MK11 is going to cannibalize the entire community for that game. Good luck finding a match come April.

I have poo poo internet and only play people offline so it doesn't matter!

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Put Vira in the game you cowards

Also Katapillar & Vira. All the Viras.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

ROFL Octopus posted:

Characters constantly shouting crazy indecipherable gibberish is unironically the best part of mortal kombat

Why is this a thing? I'm bewildered by it.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
How do you guys practice your combos (specifically, Tekken juggles)? I read that I should break it down, but what if I'm having difficulty with the middle part? My idea is to first start with connecting the launcher a few times, then the follow-up, adding more and more moves until I could complete it.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

yo mamma a Horus posted:

lol i dont know what your middle part is, but try to just go from launch to the middle part

if you can't, you'll just have to drill the whole thing up to that

well basically there's this Katarina BnB juggle that has a HAR 1 extender and it's a little challenging for me, so I'm sticking with plain d/f+1s until I get better, but I can do the d+2~ HAR 4 ender now. I guess I just have to get better fundamentals before I even try learning combos that I could rarely setup.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

OneDeadman posted:

For middle parts unless there’s a special animation for hitting a blocking opponent, the best way to drill in muscle memory is to just focus on pressing the sequence that is tripping you up just outside a combo and once that’s more consistent then do it in the combo.

Thanks!

Just got a Switch, thinking about getting a fighting game, DBFZ or BBTag might be the best choice right now, since I dislike playing SF with four face buttons (the Way of the Hadou mode in USF2 might be good for a few laughs, though). I wish they'd release a Tekken game there (the last one was for the Wii U, right?).

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Just curious, but what is the most loved MK game to have come out so far?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Interesting, a Filipino player placed 2nd in Tekken 7 EVO? I've not seen any competitive Tekken but that's pretty sweet.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Why is Melee so popular? I have really no idea. Are the game mechanics so perfect that people insist on playing it? Is it even fun to play or watch?

People are dunking on Melee on Twitter because of its fanbase and the fans are like, "never have I been in such an open and welcoming community so you don't know what you're talking about" and I'm ???

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Melee fans like other melee fans and hate everyone else in most cases OP.

Insanely toxic to every other part of the smash community and historically awful to people at events chasing off brawl players and gate keeping like no tomorrow. If you play any other smash (sometimes even 64) you'd get made fun of and told you're not a "real smash player". EVO in particular has been bad for the last few years with people showing up just to scream TR4SH at Smash 4 players and boo and hiss at them in person and in chat while chanting WHERE'S MELEE and GET OFF THE STAGE during gameplay of 4.

Melee is a fun game but it's the absolute worst part of the community and there's a reason why Salem and a few other players wanted to completely disown it.

Yeah that sounded right about it.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
What's the friendliest airdasher/anime fighter to get into? I have a bunch of them that I never really play (the first BlazBlue, GGXX and Xrd, Melty Blood).

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Is there a tentative list of Granblues so far? I'd like to see Vira, she could have Katalina's moveset but modified or something. Or Vaseraga who is cool and good.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I bought SCVI last weekend and it's less than 20 GB, while Tekken 7 is like 77 GB. What. That's with the season 1 pass too.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

In Training posted:

It's all the FMVs you can watch from the Tekken vault

Holy poo poo, those should be downloadable by demand instead

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Does anyone own third party pads? I'm currently using DS4 for Tekken but I feel like upgrading. The Razer Raion looks good but what about the Hori/Dobe offerings?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Is it valid to get a smaller fightstick because yours is too big and heavy for regular use? I'm looking at the smaller Hori sticks (not the mini, just the RAP series) because my Hayabusa Pro.N needs to be carried around in its original box (which thankfully has a handle, but I stick out like a sore thumb in the crowd).

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
As long as it can fit stably on my lap, it should be fine. The Hayabusa can be used as a murder weapon (and I'm shocked to learn that higher-end sticks are even heavier).

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The guy he's talking about was not only a Virtua Fighter guy but also the original Tekken guy, and then the Tobal/Ergheiz/Bouncer guy.

God I got reminded of Ehrgeiz and it's a game I wish I had played, it sounded like the coolest thing ever

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Lmao MvC Infinite is on sale

Did that game ever have any redeeming features

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I played it in an office tourney and it had some one-button autocombos and Zero but idk it felt very soulless

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Countblanc posted:

the devs for Battle for the Grid just announced a Bored Ape tie-in game they're making. absolutely epic way to torpedo that good will lol

Looks like they're owned by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animoca_Brands, which is heavily focused on crypto anyway.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
how does running 144 khz affect Tekken frame data?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Gavok posted:

Didn't that movie get a sequel that was even worse?

I only saw the first one and was curious as to what the second was like, and just reading the wikipedia plot summary makes it sound so much worse

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Counterpoint: Shang Tsung creeping on Sonya for the entire film was very uncomfortable to watch

The way they dealt with Goro was so good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I liked MK4 because I played it on a lovely PC and it was all I could play aside from like, VF2 (which was of course the superior game but MK had gore)