Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

loving amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
melty comes out on Steam tomorrow and I've been trying to re-learn junk but man this game is mechanically dense

it's still a ton of fun though, I'm thrilled it's finally getting a convenient PC release with hopefully good netcode.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Zand posted:

missing stages and modes

The gently caress?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Melty Steam is getting rollback integration.

https://twitter.com/MadscientistCC/status/723293799405989889

loving goddamn

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

interrodactyl posted:

watch any f-vakiha match with GO1 and you'll see why the character is stupid good: http://www.meltydb.com/resultall.php?1c=VAkiha&1m=Full&tdb=cl

besides having a billion traps and good ways to convert into really advantageous situations all around, she's a loving tank

her guts rating is super loving good for some reason

I'm like 90% certain you mean just regular Tohno Akiha, because VAkiha's health is among the lowest in the game, while just Akiha has one of the best in the game.

F-Akiha is pretty good, but I dunno about "stupid good". Quite good, but you can do dumber in Melty.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

brian posted:

yeah because i'm that shallow to like something terrible because oh poo poo did you see those parries bruv

but DID you see them parries bruv

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Melty Blood
Gleam Of Force
UNIEL

i like french bread games

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Most of those can be explained in like, a few words.

like don't get me wrong they all have retarded names and it all looks very intimidating but it's not actually all that complicated.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

anothergod posted:

I mean, fucker played it on the worst graphic settings and was like, "LOL MSPaint Art guyzzz" - like if you want to treat that like "real criticism" that's your choice.

wow you're kind of an rear end in a top hat

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

mycot posted:

If you're insistent on talking with Goons about your game you can try the game dev thread where jokes are basically banned, but I can't imagine them being that much gentler than this one.

he already posted in there where his game got mostly passed over like a fart in the wind

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

anime was right posted:

the coolest part of this stage is instead of white dust all the jump/dash effects are red too

it actually varies depending on what part of the stage they're standing on. That's some drat good attention to detail.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Jmcrofts posted:

Here why don't you see for yourself

https://youtu.be/yheodCDvt3I

I can get down with that music out of the gate, but the game looks like it could be some fun. Thanks for sharing.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Saoshyant posted:

For when you think poverty couldn't get worse.

the game's actually legit quite fun and good but christ is it anime poverty as all gently caress

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Countblanc posted:

It's by French Bread right? It looks like RBO which is a sick game so it's probably badass

Yeah, it's a French Bread game but it's pretty legit good. It's got parries so brian should obviously love it, it's got a variety of completely ridiculous and initially incomprehensible system mechanics which is how you know it's a french bread game, poo poo like "light attacks cannot kill and will make a combo unable to kill unless you are in In-Fight Mode but still only heavies can actually KO." and I'm gonna be honest I still know what the essential differences are between In-Fighter, Out Boxer and Old Style are but it's fun, it's fast, you can play mindgames and you probably won't play another fighter quite like it

the biggest actual problem the game has besides being mechanically dense and hard to read at a glance is that the way the game handles Guts is completely loving retarded. On the one hand, it means matches are never over until they are actually over, which is tense and cool, but on the other, it reeks of bullshit when you land three or four good combos to slam your opponent down to one health and they land one good clean counter-hit and literally 100-0 you because it scales damage according to your health when the combo started and being on low health makes you do more damage so anyone on the magic pixel can straight up 100-0 the other guy off a clean hit but only if the other guy is on 100, if they're at like, 40 or something, the combo probably won't quite do it. Figure that poo poo out.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

dragon enthusiast posted:

Apparently a bunch of TypeX/Nesica stuff got dumped/emulated recently, wonder how they bypassed all the security stuff

Yeah, seriously, got even a link to something talking about this because I cannot find anything about it with google-fu.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

i have played indie games made years ago that had proper support for DirectInput and XInput with no issues, Capcom really has gently caress all excuse on that one.

and so does every other oval office in this industry that considers only supporting XInput acceptable. gently caress you all and the horse you rode in on.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Endorph posted:

tag your favorite combo in that vid, mine's len throwing the enemy out of satsuki's super, then back into it, then back out of it

they're all kind of amazing and stylish but I think my favourite is the Miyako/Akiha one where they just bounce the fucker back and forth across the screen like they're playing tennis and then corner to to corner airthrow the guy

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Zand posted:

? really? sfxt at least is good for a laugh and had fun things like chain combo and cancelable sweeps and tag team fighting. sfv has all the bad parts of sfxt made into a new game

yeah nah I really don't think this is worth going to bat for man, SFxT is really really really poo poo

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

e: wrong thread

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Sep 23, 2016

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

rate my tier list

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

maybe nidhogg 2 will actually be priced appropriate and it won't cost like, double what Divekick was asking for a shallower game with worse netcode.

basically gently caress nidhogg is what i'm sayin

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Given that the nidhogg fencer is in Divekick you might as well just play Divekick at this point.

please play divekick with me it's been so long

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Lemon-Lime posted:

Oh, poo poo, they're reopening? I thought they were gone for good.

I had no idea they even closed despite the fact I live like 20 minutes away from the place.

the hell happened

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

jesus christ I just looked up where the Heart Of Gaming is going to be and lol how the hell did he get a place like that? That's pretty great. I'll probably stop by and say hi at some point, I went to the Heart Of Gaming in north acton often enough.

Spuckuk posted:

OTOH up in the northwest UK we have Arcade club, which is 150+ machines, all on freeplay, at £10 for a day pass.

It's the absolute nuts, though I'd love to take a trip down to Violent city sometime, looks fantastic from the pictures.

I went there once and it was ok. Lot of the machines were partially defective, and patrons did utterly retarded poo poo like pump infinite credits into games like Simpsons Arcade and then walk away from the machine leaving a game in progress with 80 something lives that would need to be exhausted to start again, but I still had fun for the day I went. I dunno if I'd go as a regular thing if I was local like I am with HoG though.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Spuckuk posted:

How long ago did you go? They got a bigger place this year (twice the size), and run FG specific events with Manchester Battle Arena on the regular now.

Might've been late last year when I was living in Preston for university stuff. Was kind of a loving journey to get there.

and yeah there were a few broken machines, like the SoulCalibur cabinet (which is super awesome to have) had a completely dead button and that's depressing because I wanted to play fightmans with the group I went with, but they were pretty light on fighting games in general? They had SoulCalibur with the dead button, EX which is fun for a lark but not a great game and some Street Fighter 5 on the ps4s in the back but that was it, really.

i ended up playing point blank 1 and 2 for like three hours because point blank is loving rad but some of the other lightgun games I tried to play with friends, one of the guns was miscalibrated which made it hard to play together.

e; oh yeah they also had an Indy 500 machine I think that was TOTALLY hosed let me go find the picture I took of that because seriously what the gently caress

e2: Found it on my twitter, also gave me an exact date of when I went. May 15th this year.

they also had an OutRun special edition that just entirely didn't work at all

The only fighting game I actually played with friends at the place was loving Karate Champ which my friend amazingly actually had some sort of idea how to play and I didn't so I got loving rused hardcore and lost a lot and it's like seriously of all the games to have some idea how to play

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 18, 2016

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

anothergod posted:

tldr; Does anyone have links to very technical aspects of fighting games like stun?

You're describing hitstun, and the answer is scenario 3 for like every fighting game ever. I'm surprised to even see someone put that to words.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Saoshyant posted:

Also, the LoL fighting game won't ever be big. I am no expert but I'm fairly sure the biggest reason MOBAs are huge is that you never have to realize that you are bad -- it's someone else on your team, that guy over there in fact, gonna call him human being, that will show them. A fighting game would destroy this misconception so hard those people won't even try it.

I used to believe this argument until Hearthstone came along and buggered up the idea that masses of people won't take to 1v1 games because it would cause them to realise they're poo poo.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Zand posted:

it wasnt my fault i lost that guy spent thousands on card packs and won all the coin flips and the matchup etc

bads gonna bad, but Hearthstone still lacks a team to blame which has long been the crux of the argument that a fighting game can't be popular because bads would have nothing to blame. They will find something to blame regardless, even in a fighting game.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Zand posted:

I didn't know you can do this. how do i block YouTube from suggesting max to me

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/video-blocker/jknkjnpcbbgcbdbaampbjlhkcghmgfhk?hl=en

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Casuals aren't buying or still playing SF5 because the matchmaking sucks, the economy sucks, the roster's weird and there's no meaningful single-player content aside from the story mode that I assume must suck because noone ever talks about it.

When they say MVC will be more casual I assume they'll add more single-player or metagame systems.that they can overload with microtransactions.

I watched the story as a YouTube compilation with friends on a voice call and we laughed at it. This is probably the ideal way to experience the story because it removes the obscenely obnoxious loading time from the equation and you can all laugh at the ridiculous nonsensical events happening before you.

Story's not great, random bullshit happens, people fight, it's got some amusing moments in it but otherwise it's a lot of nothing

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

!Klams posted:

Mobas. Well, sort of. It was a big problem in league of legends for a while that one of the optional spells any character could take was 'flash' that just blinked you some distance in any direction, because it's such a strong ability that it was mandatory for every character and the meta warped sound it. They nerfed it and the game was better for it.

either the game changed significantly over the past few months or something because last I checked Flash was still basically completely mandatory due to being an incredibly strong global movement option.

e; just checked the patch notes and the last time Flash was changed was ages ago and it was mandatory before that change and it's still mandatory after

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

General Morden posted:

they're considered joke chars by many and have never been particularly good or used competitively at all

also a lot of people who play tekken want it to be serious i guess!

man if that's what tekken players think a joke character is they are in for a rude awakening in other games

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

FanaticalMilk posted:

Michael Murray said that Kuma's outfit is his Tekken Force outfit. I know nothing about Tekken so maybe it's from a previous game's Tekken Force mode, but I took it to mean the upcoming game will have a Tekken Force mode in which certain people have a unique costume.

It likely refers to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCMGjuN6p4c&t=1592s

e; wait no that's just his normal outfit in that game isn't it?? Christ I don't know I didn't like Tekken 4 and therefore didn't play much of it. All I know is Tekken 3's tekken force didn't have any unique outfits to it either

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 12, 2016

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkzK_0cJdenPdW9Ak3UpiHSfmt2gIjbHj

I feel as though this thread will appreciate this content. I also don't know how to link playlists on this loving forum because it tries to auto-parse the URL, fucks it up and pastes a blank URL instead.

e: apparently editing the post fixed the link automatically without breaking it so go idiot power I guess

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Zand posted:

regarding japans direction on SF speed, capcom tried to revert a lot of speedy stuff from HF with Super SF2 and everyone hated it. ST was a last ditch effort after capcom basically destroyed the arcade scene they had built up with the release of SSF2. luckily even though ST had a bunch of pro-newbie mechanics like throw softens it still got a big following

Man calling throw softening a "pro newbie" mechanic feels so weird in light of the fact I haven't played a fighting game in forever without outright throw teching.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Fenn the Fool! posted:

The game has been improving steadily for the past several months, the graphics in particular look way better than they used to (RIP Jaina's derp dragon). Every time the new build comes out my buddies and I sink 5 or 6 hours into it. Game is good, and you can check it out for :5bux:.

I actually think Sirlin has pretty good game design chops even if he's derivative as hell, I'll look out for it when it's a finished game.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Eddy owns and he owns harder because he upsets people by existing.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

anime was right posted:

hot take: the 3rd strike online ost is actually really good (excluding jazzy nyc, which was shot on fifth avenue)

this take is tepid

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Broken Loose posted:

Rutibex has been shitposting all over the board game thread for years now, and the only thing I can tell you is that he wholeheartedly believes in and matches his retarded online persona irl.

I didn't want to be the guy to bring up the bad board game opinions but yeah, he's probably not a troll lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Night Blade posted:

Oh man I'm struggling with Leo's suggested combo 1 and she's supposed to be piss easy.

Maybe I'm not cut out for modern fighting games.

lol if you think anyone gets it right on the first go

it's whether or not you keep going until you can do it that determines if one is cut out for it