Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
I mean he's not Axl Mid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

Would you or anybody else be against a "Mystery Tournament"? In which we randomly pick a fightcade game "out of a hat"? Stuff like Marvel 1, Cyberbots, Vampire Savior, Jojo, Third Strike, Waku Waku 7, Breakers Revenge, Windjammers, XMen: COTA, Puzzle Fighter, Marvel Super Heroes, Last Blade, Marvel vs Street Fighter, Garou, King of Fighters 95, etc.

sounds pretty tight imo

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Jmcrofts posted:

I kinda wish I had watched that match live instead of having to watch the archive later, but IIRC i was blackout drunk on Malort at the time. The VOD was entertaining regardless.

8 pgs behind but why would you drink that

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Jmcrofts posted:

Punishment for losing FT3s. I lost a lot of sets that night.

the bitter taste of defeat

dhamster fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Oct 12, 2016

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

lol that is a dumb system

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I mean why would a fighting game penalize a player for doing something over and over again? Shouldn't there be some kind of counterplay if the other guy is doing something predictable?

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

SectumSempra posted:

how about in 2017 capcom just releases sf6 and everytime someone asks about sf5 they just say "what?"

They should just keep releasing new entries in the series faster and faster with fewer resources put into development each time, until a singularity is reached and street fighter infinity is just a still image of Ryu thinking really hard about punching someone

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Medullah posted:

Follow the Microsoft Model, release Street Fighter 10. Rename Street Fighter V to Street Fighter Vista.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcLxnXsd18A

dhamster fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 9, 2016

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Having the best sprite for a Darkstalkers characters is like having the best quality version of a Chumbawamba song.

Yeah that's technically cool I guess, but who could give a poo poo.

There is some super old internet meme cover of tubthumping about bombing Saddam Hussein

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Super dumb, general question coming up, just to see if I have this straight: if someone does a jump-in in a 2D fighter, is the tradeoff usually that the move is [more plus on block/a better combo starter/hits high] in exchange for vulnerability to anti-airs? As a follow up, do divekicks tend to be useful because they change the [angle/timing] of approach to make anti-airs miss, or do they often have some other benefit as well?

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Jmcrofts posted:

You've pretty much got it. Dive kicks have a few other advantages as well, like how they can be used to punish throw techs and that they can let you punish fireballs in some situations where normal jumps would get AA'ed.

Thanks crofts. Another follow up: what is the typical way to stuff a divekick? Meeting it in the air?

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Lol that guy's smugness is incredible

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

That rock ballad at the end of =sign= arcade mode is a guilty pleasure of mine

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Reiley posted:

My favorite trait in a fighting game is movement. I love Jon Talbain because he moves really good, I love boosting around in Blodia and I haven't entirely figured it out yet but I really like Rera's wolf-riding movement in SamSho. The first game I put serious competitive effort into was TF2 and I was a Soldier, and Smash Pikachu is probably one of the most highly-mobile fighting characters I've ever played. I don't think going back and trying ST again would scratch the mobility itch, unless I pick up Vega I suppose.

ST Claw is god tier iirc

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

divekick more like divedick.. gottem

e: divekick would have been a bit better if I could do a YOLO gem arcade play through without sitting through Fraud Detection every time I start a round.

dhamster fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 29, 2016

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/09/28/little-guilty-gear-lie-got-big-japanese-government-worker-dust-off/

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

They should call it "animal cruelty" because you can punch a dog

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

This may be a really loving obvious thing to point out, but I got a great pointer today re: sloppy dp inputs

I know that the DP input is literally 623 and not 6236 or whatever, but with an input buffer it's easy to get away with something the former if there's not an overlapping special... or if you're playing sf4 or sf5 and you can hit any forward direction, any down direction and any forward direction and a DP will come out.

dhamster fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 10, 2016

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

"If you don't know what plinking, kara cancels, option selects, charge partitioning, FADCs, or crouch techs are, you don't have to. Instead you can focus on the fundamentals of fighting games: distancing, timing, zoning, setups, reads, and strategy."

dhamster fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 12, 2016

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Yomi is ok. I tried playing it recently and there were some weird new characters though. I remember there was some dominatrix character who can take control of your next move if they knock you down, or something.

e: I remembered it wrong. The mind control thing was an ace and doing a knockdown would let her recycle cards. Maybe not OP but was pretty annoying.

dhamster fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 12, 2016

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

There's a FG in the works but you have to give Sirloin something like $25 every month to play the alpha test

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Every time I played Yomi I manhandled with the fire archer that had some really really good recursion on her damage cards. And got mangled by the rock grappler guy because huge damage single hits are pretty good in a game where spacing doesn't happen go figure.

It's pretty fun though, there's an iOS version that played fine.

Actually been working on a mock-up of a fighting board game with spacing. No guarantees if it'll be any good but I probably share some printable PDFs here when I'm done

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

You see, the difference is that Yomi is a mystical word from the Orient, home of the best fighting game players (it's in their DNA). Now if you'll excuse me it's time for me to eat a "taco," the Mexican word for a corn or wheat tortilla folded or rolled around a filling such as beef, cheese and/or vegetables.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Countblanc posted:

I do wish Yomi had a better model for "person who wants to spam the same thing and force you to deal with it" that fighting games can have. Battlecon has the same issue, but sorta different with how the recycling system works. You can play as Vendetta and spam the same normal since he recycles his on use, Grave can recycle blocked hadous, and Jaina can just sorta do whatever I don't play that character, but otherwise it doesn't come up. I think if someone wanted to more closely emulate fighting games in board game form they'd want some sort of way to play moves indefinitely (and then make it so that isn't really optimal if your opponent knows how to respond to it).

That's actually kind of a design goal for a thing I'm working on now that I alluded to a page or two back... basically a board game where players pick a "movement" card and a "button" card at the same time, and aren't artificially limited in what attacks they can throw out on a given turn. Attacks and throws need to be in range to connect, and the idea is to incorporate stuff like oki and frame advantage in a simple way. On the surface it looks a bit like BattleCON (picking two simultaneous cards, linear board) but I think it'll probably play a bit differently. If anyone's interested in trying it on tabletop sim or something sometime, feel free to shoot me a PM. Can't guarantee that it won't be terrible.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Blind guy plays MKX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzRO4YoRjqM

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Smoking Crow posted:

Why aren't arcades dead in Japan

people walk around more, carry around more pocket change, etc

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I watched some footage of KI and it looks pretty fun. The guy was good enough that he was hitting breakers and counter breakers consistently, so the in-game announcer was screaming his head off.

Also the game has battletoads in it apparently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xzwafCJ28I

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Hey earlier in this thread (or another FG thread) I remember people were talking about an older FG where staredowns were especially scary--someone could basically just stand there and scare the hell out of the opponent. Was that samsho?

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I like holding a backward direction to defend

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I like Xrd because it's one of the only FGs I've played where I have fun if I'm winning or not (usually the latter). I like the combination of chain combos, bursts, good throws and neat movement options.

When I was in middle-high schol I played stuff like SoulCalibur on Dreamcast and Melee for GameCube; SC because the graphics were incredible at the time and it was fun to press buttons, Melee because I had a friend who would come over and play it with me on a regular basis. He stopped wanting to play when I started learning to use Dr. Mario's cape to ruin Ganondorf's recovery.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

ZWZ posted:

Has anyone played Sirlin's fantasy strike and want to give their thoughts on it? (not a joke)

I've played a build from a few months ago and it's alright. Matches are played first to four rounds. Characters have something like 2 normals on the ground and 1 in the air, 2 ground specials, 2 air specials and a super. There is no dashing or high/low blocking, and characters have something like 5-8 discrete hit points (I guess like pocket rumble?). Most attacks and some supers seem to do one point of damage, but I think you can combo stuff to do more damage. Blocking something causes one of your hit points to flash for awhile, and if you get hit during that time you lose the flashing health. Some stuff seems to chip out flashing health on block.

Grave has a fireball, an air tatsu and a shoryuken (his ground super). Jaina also has a fireball and a shoryuken special, but she damages herself when she uses the latter. I think Rook had Potemkin's Hammerfall and a more damaging throw. Geiger has a sonic boom on a cooldown (a wobbly gear throw) and a flash kick. Super meter charges over time, and I think also when you do stuff. The graphics were bad, but they seemed to be placeholders. If the game is going to look like their new promotional screenshots, that would be a big improvement over what it used to look like.

Personally I'm not a big fan of the limited selection of normals and the discrete damage system, but there are some good things about it.

Overall it reminds me a bit of Rising Thunder, from what I've played of that. Previously you could only play FS by backing his patreon at the $25 tier, which seemed a stupid amount of money to pay, monthly, to playtest an unfinished game. Now it's playable at the $5 level, which seems less dumb.

dhamster fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 28, 2016

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?term=%22arc%20system%20works%22&category1=998

I posted this in the airdashers thread, but the Arcsys catalog is on sale on Steam right now. Xrd -SIGN- is $15, +R is $5.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

http://steamcommunity.com/id/breadblade/

This is my steam profile, in case anyone wants to kick the poo poo out of me in Xrd sometime

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

It exists but you'll take something like 30% extra damage when you're using it

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Jmcrofts posted:

Pretty good deal for 50 cents

dunno what happened to youtube revenue these days. I got a recent 110,000 view spike to one of my videos recently and they estimated my earnings at $65. I think it used to be something like a buck or two per thousand views. Maybe it's just all the people using adblock

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Saoshyant posted:

There was a blind guy who played/plays MK 9/10, no idea if he also plays KI. Maybe there's even more than one blind guy in the FGC, that would be amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzRO4YoRjqM

This blind guy plays MKX using projectiles and interactables as a sort of sonar

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

yeah, you mirror match him and then laugh in his face like a jackass, as seen at EVO that one time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDhIKxfgJPM

That was actually a different blind MK player!

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

gonna need a CD for that burn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Dumb and really general question coming up about 2D fighting games: do crouching attacks tend to have any general properties compared to standing attacks besides sometimes hitting low? Such as better recovery, etc.