Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I was elated the other day because I finally reached ultra bronze in SF 5, on a 13 win streak that culminated in me defeating a silver league player.

I then promptly got my rear end kicked all the way down back to nearly bronze.

But then the next day I won five matches in a row.

I had fun doing all of this. Play games for fun imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

You know what rules? When you connect with an opponent it loads a savestate at the character select screen. It's obvious because the first second or so of the audio is cut off.

This wouldn't be a problem except that nine times out of ten you WILL fight on the Hong Kong stage in Super Turbo. I got lucky and got Jamaica one time, but other than that it's been Fei Long's stage every time, without fail.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I just got Soul Calibur 6 and I don't think I like it very much. When did SC become about flashy super moves and slow mo rock paper scissors showdowns? I feel like half of the match consists of watching someone's super move or getting into one of those clashes. Whatever happened to just regular rear end Soul Calibur?

Also what is going on with the depth of field effect in this game, I can barely see the backgrounds.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Wait, so could I just buy the very base SF V game that’s on sale right now for like $7, then the CE upgrade and I’d have everything?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

HerniaFlange posted:

I think buying the complete version is $30, so cheaper, but

Yeah but I don’t want to wait if I have to lol

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Reading the store description, it sounds like it only gives you the post Arcade Edition content, so I’d have to buy AE and then the upgrade.

Never mind then, I’ll just wait and get the $30 package.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Gutcruncher posted:

It says that it has the content from all previous SF5s, including the post-AE content.

You can’t even buy AE anymore.

Oh, okay! Let's do it then.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

FrostyPox posted:

Oof, Street Fighter V's story mode is so bad I almost think it's an active detriment to the game.

At least Zangief, R. Mika, and FANG are amazing

The game itself is a lot more fun than the internet led me to believe, for sure, though

Word. I think it’s a perfectly fun fight mans, now that you can get nearly all the content for cheap.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Neo Rasa posted:

Soul Calibur VI is very very good. :O

I need to try to get back into it. The RPS stuff turned me off of it pretty quick for the most part, but I bought season pass 2 anyway because I need to have a complete roster in my fightmans, so I may as well.

Didn’t they make some sort of change to that mechanic recently?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I'm really not a fight game pro or anything but I thought SF4 was fuckin' rad. It also more or less single handedly put into motion a fighting game renaissance.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

They've got everyone locked in and up to date with CE, so now would of course be the time to release new DLC

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Shinji2015 posted:

I don't have the Aftermath DLC yet, but after playing through a couple of the new xharacter towers, Fujin is absolutely going to be everywhere online in a few weeks.

Yeah after playing as him a short while, I was like okay this guy has tons of easy to pull off bullshit that he can do

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Hey, hey, get this:

Samurai slowdown

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Shenmue 3 owned. It’s a third Shenmue game, with all that entails. Fans got what they wanted, others need not apply.

The fighting sucks in 3 but everything else is pretty much spot on.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

DLC Inc posted:

absolutely zero reasons to ever play Shenmue when you can just play Yakuza/Judgment/etc

They’re pretty significantly different types of games.

Anyway in fighting game news, we’ll be getting SF V news on the 5th. I’m one of four people who like that game, some I’m excited for more characters.

Having displayed my love for both a Shenmue and SF V in the fighting game thread, I will now see myself out. Farewell.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Marin Karin posted:

i've never played shenmue, but i appreciate the steel balls required to make the third entry of your series after over a decade of waiting, and still being like, "i want this to be a 7 part story, and it's staying that way" and having no epilogue

This’ll sound weird, but as a fan, I’m glad he’s sticking to his original vision and not just rushing to end the story prematurely. I wanted Shenmue 3. I got it. I’m prepared to maybe or maybe not see the story continue from there.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I will buy and purchase a Tekken 7 Season 4 Pass and I didn’t even watch the video

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Debating picking up KoF 14 Ultimate while it’s on sale, with the caveat that I’ve only ever casually tooled around with the likes of 97, 98, 2002, 13 and enjoyed them without ever getting seriously into them.

What are the feelings on 14? Is it worth adding to my pile or should I just stick with the rotation of fightmans I’m already playing?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Oh my god give me the loving virtua fighter

Baby I’m coming home

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

That studio knows how to make a flashy and well produced fightmans with cool story and single player stuff, and Marvel is infinitely more interesting than DC properties, so hell, go for it.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

loving Virtua Fighter lives, let’s goooooo

My jam of all jams

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I’m glad of it

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Does this VF 5 have the character dress up stuff, this is important

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Gutcruncher posted:

Whatever time is least convenient for a working adult, that is the time it goes up

So real it hurts

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Hot drat

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

It’s cool that this launched with no functionality in place to simply play someone on your friend list, much less invite them to a room. It’s also cool that the DLC customization items are almost all just recolors of the existing outfits and not poo poo I can play dress up with.

I love VF with a passion but c’mon Sega. Help a brother out.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Seeing as both are on sale right now, is DOA 6 or King of Fighters 14 worth picking up? I’m not expecting to dive too deep into online, mostly thinking of solo and versus play. I know KoF 15 is on the way, would I be better off waiting for that one instead of grabbing 14?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Edmond Dantes posted:

DoA6's DLC situation is... Uhhhh

Yeah I nabbed the extra characters and that’s it. The season passes are insanity.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I did that VF survey. I didn’t do it to yell at them about netcode though. I mostly did it to tell them I thought this was a pretty okay release, that I’m glad it happened, and that I’d love to see more out of the franchise.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

FF 14 is fun and most importantly very accessible and you can make the majority of meaningful progress solo if you want to, which probably doesn’t hurt!

It does a lot right and managed to hook me, someone who is generally down on the MMO genre.

It is also not a fighting game.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

It’s fine if you want to be a super serious smash player or whatever but I’m in it for the chaos. Items all day every day. I always likened disabling items and tiered arenas in Smash to trying to get Gran Turismo out of Mario Kart. It just doesn’t sound fun and it’s not what I want out of it.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

well, SpongeBob did it, so now everyone who owns cartoon characters has to do it

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Yoooo more dress up items and BGM, I’m here for that.

Good to see this VF 5 still getting some kind of support.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Am I missing something or wasn’t the VF 5 Yakuza DLC supposed to add something in the realm of 650+ customization items?

Doesn’t feel like there’s too much more stuff there than before. Hell I recall the PS360 version having shitloads of options compared to this.

What’s the deal?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I think King of Fighters 98 and 2002 on Steam just received updates to allow for lobbies and spectating. This is cool news since the last time I tried to play with friends we were bummed to find that you could only match up one on one.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I seem to remember 30th plopping you into the same stage over and over again because of how it loads a state on the character screen every time you rematch. I don’t remember if or how this can be circumvented or if it applies to online play, but I remember it being a problem for local play.

Also yeah it’s super dead online.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Why yea I’d love to be fed more VF 5 DLC. Hope it packs more customization items and music like the last couple.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

kirbysuperstar posted:

What was the better of the PS2/Xbox era MKs?

Deception in terms of pure insane content and improvements from Deadly Alliance like tiered arenas with instant stage fatality ring outs and silly stuff like that. It was badass and silly in all the right ways.

I remember I was so hyped for it but only had a GameCube at the time of its announcement, I literally saved up and got myself a PS2 with the internet adapter and everything.

Fuckin’ worth it. I ate that poo poo up.

I mean I would never ever recommend anyone play those games as a serious fighting game, or even casually nowadays, but it was the best MK had been since the original trilogy for my money.

I remember Armageddon being such a huge loving letdown after that.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

morestuff posted:

Is MK11 Ultimate worth $15 for the single-player kontent? Never really kared for MK but kould use a distraktion

There is a metric fuckton of content between the story, krypt, and rotating towers of time. You could never touch online and have game to play for ages. It excels in flashy production values and single player content. If you want something to mindlessly enjoy you can’t do much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Been playing for a few hours today, man as soon as I reach 1000LP (super bronze) it's just a complete loving brick wall. I have literally never won any match as soon as I reach that point. They go from being total pushovers to 20-30 combo superstars as soon as I break 1000.

Don’t worry, you’re not alone. In the entire lifespan of SF V i also have been forever stuck never cracking past super bronze.