Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

night slime
May 14, 2014

CharlestonJew posted:

I'm glad the SNK Heroines game has the restraint to not make the girls' clothes fall off when they get KO'd

maybe king's will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

night slime
May 14, 2014
Is Deejay not in the SFA3 version in anniversary? loving stupid.

Also when I'm in training mode if I take too long (as in ten seconds) to pick a character it strips me of my autonomy and picks for me. Jesus.

night slime
May 14, 2014

BurningCourage posted:

Yes they did and it works well. Not that it boosted the playerbase any, though.

KOF 97 Global Match also has rollback code. Could play with guys in different countries pretty well. It seemed active enough for an old game on PS4 when I played it a month ago.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Hobojim posted:

KoFXIV has this online where there's three players per team and the order they play is randomly assigned. It's called party battle mode. How has nobody mentioned this, what the gently caress guys.

Yet another reason KoFXIV is the best fighting game made since 2008. As if it needed another reason.

I mean nobody PLAYS this mode unless you get six people interested on discord or something, but it's there. So is online training mode. So is lobbies with spectating, winner or loser stays on, long sets 1v1, recordable dummies and frame data in training mode, a huge cast, decent (delay-based though) netcode, fast paced gameplay with a big emphasis on winning neutral with big rewards if you do, etc. etc.

NA people played it for months on stream each Friday. Personally I think it might have been more successful if we could have gotten maybe like, a 3 player minimum for it with different possibilities like a 2v1 rotating. A 6 person commitment is a lot. Also it's probably bad that nobody could see how many people were in each lobby without manually going to it, lowering player interest for anything but main.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Hace posted:

Step 1: Old game gets rollback

Step 2: Everyone talks about how sick that is

Step 3: A few people try it out

Step 4: Everyone forgets about it and complains about how there's nothing to play

Dunno, 98 (it will probably be next) and 02 are fun classic games with huge rosters. I like Garou a lot but I could see it being less interesting to newcomers with 14 characters.

night slime
May 14, 2014
On PS4 I played 97 GM and Garou on wifi for a brief period after my LAN cable broke. Played mostly fine even with people from Mexico. I think the developers would probably want you to participate anyway for the data.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Aren't you supposed to use UC opener, into linker into finisher?

I always seem to be too far away to use the finisher, but I'm also probably using the wrong ones tbf considering I just started playing her last night lol

Do you happen to have an example bnb or UC string?

Maybe I need to think of it more as a mixup tool though

You usually use it to end with the grab in this version, I think. So fwd+LK, down+P, fwd+K, qcf+HP will work I think if you do it quick enough? The grab might whiff, it's been a while since I played 2K2 UM.

I kinda hope they release a PSN port of 2K2 UM. Dunno if netcode translates like that, though. It'd be funny for it to be the PS5's first fighting game.

night slime
May 14, 2014
Don''t know what the previous page is about but I always found it perplexing that Angel's skin color changes in KOF 14 depending on the color selection. I mean she's my favorite character but I'm wondering why her

night slime
May 14, 2014
Yeah I remember lighter colors over games. I think it's mostly jarring to me because she's the only one in 14 that has it. It doesn't like offend me, I'm just kinda amused with her as the pick

night slime
May 14, 2014

Victory Position posted:

Also, who the hell wants to play as the kidnapper after all of that poo poo? Kukri was sort of neat in XIV, but gently caress no after all of that. Yikes.

And if this is the roundabout way to get New Faces Team and Ash Crimson back for XV... what in the gently caress? Did it really be like this?

The resurrections happened in 14, not Heroines.

dragon enthusiast posted:

delay based netcode pauses the game until it receives inputs from the other player. rollback netcode runs the game at (or near) full speed and tries to predict what the other player does until it gets an input that is incorrect, then rolls back the game simulation to correct for it.

So rollback is like keeping a pool of possible moves/inputs for a player position and matching them with the actual ones? Sorry if dumb question, have been curious about it for a while now and your explanation is the first succinct one I've heard.

night slime
May 14, 2014
You can't cut back on contextless (??) You will regret this

night slime
May 14, 2014

euphemism posted:

https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1321805256703963138

this is a really cool thread about early capcom marvel games

https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1322367067798990848

Must be cool to fly out to apologize to some goober and see his whole company go bankrupt a few years later

night slime
May 14, 2014

Borrowed Ladder posted:

I just started really playing fighting games this year during the pandemic. I bought SFV when it went on sale and have slowly been reacclimating myself to the game. I played a ton of SNES SF up until Alpha then dipped for years. I have SF4 but never played much. In all the years i played i never played human opponents, only ever against the CPU. I actually played my first online matches today and it was actually pretty fun. I won a few ranked matches and even got someone to quit mid match. I'm not very good but i can at least throw a fireball or Dragon punch 8 times out of 10. I'm rear end at charge characters though.

Anyway i read this thread all the time, and most of the time i have no idea what you guys are taking about, but i know you don't like SFV. I've bought quite a few fighting games this summer and I'm wondering if i should put my time into a different one. I have Guilty gear ACR and Xrd, fighting Ex layer, MVC3, tekken 7, MK10. Didn't love MK. Guilty gear accent was interesting but there was A LOT going on at once and was tough to keep up. Same with MVC. Haven't tried tekken yet because of the huge download. I did play Virtua fighter 4 back in the day, that was really hard but i liked the "reality" of it, no magic.

If you're new and want to try something else outside of what you listed, there are a ton of SNK games for free if you use Amazon Prime and link it Twitch and don't mind a new game client. Just tried them the other day and was surprised at the actual amount. A few are barebones but most of them appear to be the same available on Steam/PS4. Edit: I guess this wasn't a recommendation request though. but I guess you should do what you want.

night slime fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 6, 2020

night slime
May 14, 2014
Car accidents kill people. Ryu's never killed anyone

night slime
May 14, 2014
SNK released rollback for KOF 97 in 2018 but it was sort of a pin drop here, I think because it was most popular in China. Rollback coming to Steam might be because the Tencent QQ Games service that had 97/98/02 with rollback has their contract ending with SNK this year, apparently.

night slime
May 14, 2014
XI with the characters they left out of it from 2003 would be sick and probably not going to happen...but it's badass to think about

night slime
May 14, 2014
I like the family resemblance of inflicting unintelligible DMCA threats to arbitrarily having to pee in the Amazon truck. Demon Overlord Bezos is smiling at his newly chaotic work structure

night slime
May 14, 2014
They should bring back yearly KOF releases with the sick oil money

night slime
May 14, 2014
Followup release by the charity said there was a plan for 51% acquisition: https://nichegamer.com/2020/11/26/crown-prince-of-saudi-arabia-becomes-largest-shareholder-of-snk-corporation/

quote:

The Crown Prince had made further shake-ups to Saudi Arabia’s traditions in the past. These include reducing the powers of the nation’s religious police, and establishing an entertainment authority that hosts comedy shows and wrestling.

What if he bought the forums :staredog:

night slime fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 27, 2020

night slime
May 14, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

It will be a staggered non crossplay release on ps4 and pc over a year later.
The netcode will be single match per lobby, delay based and it wont work right for a few weeks.

They seem to have spent a lot of time working on it without giving updates so I wonder if they could have reversed course and incorporated rollback, after seeing all the constant rollback requests and SS netcode complaints.

night slime
May 14, 2014
Guessing the "new console" is just some repurposed Neo Geo mini with a download store, hence the wifi icon.

I didn't play the new Samurai Shodown very much but the online lobby system and training mode were pretty bad, especially compared to 14. Even Heroines had decent training mode UI, it's weird for them to take steps backwards for no reason. On the plus side, they've been adding rollback to a bunch of old games and possibly KOF98 next, so on the retro side of things they're doing pretty well at least.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Draynar posted:

So are there any active PC fighters with good net code? I feel like FGC's straight up hate pc gamers and cross play and netcode for anyone who just wants good online play on PC. (I hope that LOL fighter is good since it will probably be PC only at first)

KOF 02UM gets matches.

night slime
May 14, 2014
super baby 2

night slime
May 14, 2014

Victory Position posted:

SNK keeps not putting Chizuru into their games because they would have to give her this. Just her walking along and twirling is enough to make her top-of-the-top tier in 98.

They better put her in 15. Sick of this no Chizuru poo poo

night slime
May 14, 2014

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The probably-bullshit-but-I-want-to-believe KOF15 "leak" had her back on a team with Najd and Shingo

It looks fake (can't imagine a breakup of Team Mexico and South America, also no new characters or returning dead ones outside CYS) but I could kinda see her on a team with Shingo and Goro if she's not the Sacred Treasures team.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Gutcruncher posted:

SNK are the ultimate internet pranksters

night slime
May 14, 2014

Extra Large Marge posted:

Maybe SNK holding off on the announcement today was a good idea

What did they know...

night slime
May 14, 2014
Guy in this thread who wanted him deplatformed wasn't loving around

night slime
May 14, 2014
2 leaked KOF 15 screenshots here and another below: https://www.ultimahora.es/noticias/...te-edition.html

Spoilered a pic on the off-chance someone might be waiting...it looks pretty good honestly. Guessing this is someone at SNK selectively leaking since the characters aren't really big surprises.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Gavok posted:

Leona is saluting, meaning Chang is confirmed.

I could be wrong but looking up that pic made me think they must be reusing models from 14 and touching them up, since the saluting hand looks so similar (and oddly enormous) to the 15 pic, which leads me to suspect the roster will be really big. They should make someone come back cruelly untouched up from 14, maybe Xanadu, as a tribute to CVS2 Morrigan.

night slime
May 14, 2014

The probably-bullshit-but-I-want-to-believe KOF15 "leak" had her back on a team with Najd and Shingo

https://old.reddit.com/r/kof/comments/iq7om1/the_king_of_fighters_15_information_to_be/ This leak seems kind of accurate and predicted a bunch of things, cel-shading, reuse of models, some anime guy being involved. Don't really know what to make of the system, will probably have to see it next week.

night slime
May 14, 2014

This leak is way cooler and more believable than the one I saw but even though they put him in a game before, Mizoguchi as DLC would be super weird

That list screams to me that they're making/planning some other game and want to shoehorn in DLC from them. Hell, good on them for reducing the workload, I'd like to have Rugal and Igniz but I guess they have to save some cool characters for 16.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Commissar Ken posted:

Or "functions". Trust those people the least.

I'm glad i'm not the only one that focused on that and only that. I want big dumb stage cameos again.

Michael Max was in the other stage bg

night slime
May 14, 2014

Smoking Crow posted:

i dont think fighting games will survive the pandemic

They're already playing tournaments in other non-psycho countries with masks. I forget who I saw, maybe CVS2.

night slime
May 14, 2014
The stage is pretty cool at least. The leak said there was a huge base roster and it has been uncannily accurate so far, so maybe they're just taking their time revealing stuff if it comes out this year.

night slime
May 14, 2014

BoosterDuck posted:

why couldn't capcpom give us eagle instead of falke ಥ_ಥ

Should have added Mahesh

night slime
May 14, 2014
Only thing I can think of to add to KOF 14 lobbies would be to add a display of how many people are in each mode, without having to actually click all the way through to it, since that just leads to people to defaulting to team match. Party mode (6 player mode) is pretty fun to experience but is usually dead without organization, could benefit from an idle queue waiting to reach 6 players while in training mode.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Gavok posted:

Odds are that Goro Daimon is out, then. He always seems to be Benimaru's team or bust throughout the series.

They said team order would differ greatly from XIV and they seem to be keeping to that, so I wouldn't be surprised if they try to subvert that and give him his own team. Was wondering if K'/Kyo and Leona/Mai might not team up since they're the only ones announced, the way Beni/Shunei got teamed up.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Yardbomb posted:

I'll give them pre-release and all that, but I noticed some weird shuddering a couple times in that trailer, usually when he'd take someone to the ground and everything would sorta skid or pop a few times real quick, looked weird.

Still looking forward to it though.

I think that's an intentional effect. I didn't really notice it in 14 until someone said they found it jarring.

Don't really care about the graphics, they're fine to me, but the most annoying part (admittedly trivial) is Iori's hands. They look like they're broken or something, a bunch of characters in 14 had this problem as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

night slime
May 14, 2014
KOF13 has English voices. I forget if they made it to the game or not but they're on youtube. Fake edit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcyPSnfqMug not good