Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
My guess is that the fifth character is a mystery because they're legitimately not sure who it's going to be yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The simple fact of balancing games is that until you get it out in people's hands it's impossible to fully predict all the ways your systems can be interacted with or ignored. There's a vast difference between having a small team of testers versus having the general public poke and prod and see what degenerate poo poo they can do.

Some devs are better than others about it, but nobody is intentionally setting out to make characters bad or overpowered (with a couple of exceptions). It's just stuff like designing a character to be good at x and bad at y, and then it turns out being good at x is all you need in the game so being bad at y is totally irrelevant. It works on paper, and maybe it works in test games, but not in the reality of a competitive scene.

And also the fact that testers can be ignored or that changes can be deemed too expensive or time consuming to make except in a patch down the road.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 10, 2020

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think my favorite "whoops we accidentally hosed up and made a character too good" thing in recent memory is DBZ Broly in DBFZ.

Broly was clearly designed to be a grappler and advertised as such. Multiple command grabs? Check. Armor moves? Check. Armored dash move that lets you try and get in? Check. Wonky damage outside of the corner? Well, okay, not really a common grappler trait but whatever. I imagine he was tested with "big grapple man" in mind and when released that's what he was considered to be. Nothing more.

Instead, what people discovered over time is that ASW accidentally also gave Broly the best zoning tool in the game. His basic, regular-rear end spammable ki blast is fast, huge, beats out other ki blasts, and can be angled up or down to just trap your opponent in a never-ending stream of bullshit. With the major weakness of a grappler totally nullified, Broly is now one of the top tierest characters in DBFZ. Armor that was supposed to be his primary defensive tool is now just another piece of an absurd pressure game. Hell, his dash is now pretty much exclusively used for defense because who needs a way to get in?

At that point, I don't know what you even do balance-wise. You've accidentally created this weird grapplezoner abomination, and you can't really kill the ki blast without killing what people like about the character.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 10, 2020

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I like that we've hit the point where we're rewriting history and saying nobody liked SF4 at all

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Giving the goat wall cling is perfect

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Draxion posted:

Actually hold on are we talking about terrordrome: rise of the boogeymen, or terrordrome: reign of the legends, which appears to be brand new.

The new one looks ROUGH

Yeah it looks rough but it still plays good as it turns out

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gologle posted:

Gootecks noooooo pull up pull up

there is no "pulling up" he's been this way for years, he only just started getting louder about it

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

https://twitter.com/carbonbae/status/1297678758028161024

I want to scream and never stop

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Master Roshi is out on DBFZ and looks wild. It's weird that Kefla might be the only "normal" playing character in this season.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
They made the right choice. KoF XIV is a good game.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

MechaX posted:

I am watching vids of Max going through MvC:I's story mode for his second time;

So let me get this straight, Ryu probably can't drive and can't even use a computer, but he's out here with Bruce Banner studying dimensional anomalies?

He explicitly says he's there as a bodyguard why does everyone miss this

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

MechaX posted:

Unless he mentions this later, he... definitely does not lead off with just being a bodyguard when Black Panther (and the Monster Hunter too) are interrogating him

I definitely remember somebody saying he was a bodyguard because I got frustrated with that during a stream because everyone was going "RYU'S A SCIENTIST??" over the line that addresses it but gently caress if I'm going to rewatch the MvCI story mode to figure out exactly when

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

MechaX posted:

You.. you know I can just take your word for it that someone else mentions it at some point, you don't have to rewatch MvCI's story mode for this (even if this story mode looks unintentionally hilarious)

Look I'm not used to being taken for my word on this forum

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Xand_Man posted:

Wait back the gently caress up

Was Ryu a bodyguard for Bruce loving Banner

look if you need science done it's better to try and put a danger shield in front of bruce so you don't end up with the opposite of science getting done

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Saoshyant posted:

Whatever even happen to that Kill la Kill game?

What happened is that it's an anime arena fighter

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I like that That Man was set up as the main antagonist for years and it turns out he's not even evil Sol just hates his loving guts

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The tweet says that Virtua Fighter will be "restarted"

Whatever that means!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The wording is very neutral, it doesn't necessarily imply a reboot or whatever.

Yeah it's vague enough to mean basically anything.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Y'all need to temper your expectations like a lot

The fact that nothing in this announcement says they're making a new game means I would not expect a new game

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Endorph posted:

could be bringing version b out of being a yakuza minigame. selling that for 15-20 bucks on psn and steam would be relatively easy.

It's gotta be this, right? Sega doesn't even have anyone who can make a fighting game at the moment (though I guess that doesn't preclude them farming the license out)

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
is this why the shoulder check is the only move ryo learns in shenmue 3?

twice?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm 100% positive if it was VF6 they'd just say "hey it's VF6" instead of doing this weird VIRTUA FIGHTER X ESPORTS non-announcement

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Do you have to be an idiot to post on Eventhubs or does posting on Eventhubs make you stupid? The eternal question...

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Okay you can't just boo fighting game players because they're from China come on

They're not somehow villains because they come from a country with an oppressive government

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Isn't Jubei just a mercenary demon hunter?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gavok posted:

One of the things that always sold it to me was when he randomly goes, "Where is everybody?" in his rant. Like he lost his train of thought and lost track of when and where he was in that moment.

now I just want to watch first blood again

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Brought To You By posted:

The dog doesn't really do anything resembling a puppet attack, but seeing someone with an attached spirit reminds me that Zappa still isn't back in the game.

Zappa doesn't have ghosts anymore! Stop wishing bad things on Zappa!!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Brought To You By posted:

Isn't he tapped into the supernatural still? I never touched Xrd but I'm vaguely aware he still has some stuff going on with him. Also, I would glady wish for Zappa's life to be ruined by possession again if it would make him playable.

He's only tapped into it in the sense that spending years learning poo poo to cure his ghostitis makes him a walking repository of knowledge on the supernatural, so now we works on occult R&D for Ky's country.

Looking it up it seems to be vague whether or not the ghosts still exist, but he doesn't get possessed anymore.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Saoshyant posted:

I'm pretty sure it was an american saturday morning cartoon.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah they nailed this whole interactive lobby thing the first time and have just kind of made it gradually worse each game until now we have this fuckin habbo hotel-rear end bullshit

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Endorph posted:

https://twitter.com/IGNJapan/status/1316973378293669888

yeah the new phantom breaker looks way better just going off the fact that this clip seems like the game is actually fairly fast this time

I had no idea there was a fighting game with steins gate characters

Incredible

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The thing that always gets me about SNK Heroines is not that it's a fanservicey fighting game, that's whatever. There's plenty of those games that are fine to good to even great.

What gets me is that SNK Heroines' whole deal is the characters are actively uncomfortable about it. It's like a weird extra exploitative layer slathered over the whole game that really, really did not to be there.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

In Training posted:

Also the design is terrible and the game is extremely boring, could of at least had the decency of making a fun pile of crap.

Oh yeah just being a bad game didn't help either

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Endorph posted:

it extra doesnt make sense since mai is actively into dressing up like that and flirting.

theres some okay jokes but iunno why they made it weird instead of just having fun with it.

Ah see but if you put cat ears on her suddenly it's totally different!!

I think they still "had fun" with it but, like, a type of fun where you never want to meet the person who's into it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Smoking Crow posted:

https://twitter.com/ACPR_Network/status/1322006142524928000?s=20

Player matches are crossplay but ranked is not

KI is like one of 3 games where ranked matters

not sure concurrent steam users are going to be a meaningful metric for a japanese company that largely does its business on consoles

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

American McGay posted:

Think of Aris what you will

I try not to, mainly.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Victory Position posted:

This kind of cynical thinking filled me with a great dread and then a deadness.

this is what they really think about when they think about character inclusions in fighting games these days, aren't they?

Maybe Tekken but definitely not all fighting games

Hell two of DBFZ's worst characters were DLC, and even after a bunch of buffs one of them is still pretty bad.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Thankfully Donald Duck on a crashing plane screaming "WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE! I'VE WASTED MY LIFE!" is still canon

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Jiro posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TwitchEsports/status/1328850505691508737

From the FGC tourney thread.

IT'S MAHVEL BAYBEEEEEEEEEEE.

Hooray for lightning loops and internet disconnects.

they're running something that'll make the online suck less apparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Endorph posted:

https://twitter.com/TheBigHouseSSB/status/1329521081577857036

the world is finally safe from a romhack of a game released in 2001 that has never been rereleased on any modern console

nintendo back on their bullshit

again proving that the Shut The gently caress Up method is the only way to make a fangame in 2020