Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Baal posted:

It's a really lovely fighting game, but I have playing it because of how bad it is. Idk why this one in particular sets off my enjoyment of it so much over other really bad FGs, but there's something about it that just makes it easy to gently caress around and do poo poo and that's fun to me.

this is how I feel about Primal Rage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
funny how skullgirls shares a mechanic with loving primal rage of all games

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Garou has KHUSHNOOD BUTT

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

A.o.D. posted:

man, can you imagine a deathmatch version of devil daggers?

I ask because I cant.

Two-player limit, both on their own level (with a little PIP window showing the other guy's screen). Killing an enemy spawns it on your opponent's level; first one to die loses the round, best 2 of 3.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I love how we're now living in a bizarro world where Western devs poo poo on PC and Japanese devs embrace it thoroughly

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

attackmole posted:

tell arcsys this please

...i mean apparently they've already been told? we have pretty much every GG except the very first PS1 game and Revelator on Steam, and I assume Revelator's happening since Xrd and Sign came out, and we also have like every blazblue on PC (even if Calamity Trigger was Windows Store exclusive for a while)

e: and SNKP has been going ham on PC stuff and Capcom's been... er... the least embarrassing on PC I guess? the SF4 ports are really good at any rate

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Big Scary Owl posted:

Wish 3D fighting games had a feature where you could bookmark characters' moves in something like a favorite list. That and the ability to save/bookmark your own combos and juggles. I think it would be a pretty cool feature to have, especially for Tekken.

I'm pretty sure MKX has the bookmarking thing, at the very least.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

anothergod posted:

Ya kids who wanna believe that fighting games are about finding "answers" to "questions" keep believing in that, tho. It's real cute.

Think a little more abstractly. We're not saying that in the sense that, say, LA Noire is about finding answers to questions; moreso, it's about learning to deal with every possible situation. For example, say you're maining Guile in ST. Vega/Claw is a really bad matchup for him, so you have to also know how to specifically counterplay against that character in addition to mastering Guile's moveset and combos. In that sense, you have to find an answer to "how am I going to counterplay against *insert move here*," and the way to do that is to keep throwing yourself at it over and over again until you figure it out.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

inthesto posted:

Lime cucumber is the only flavor of gatorade worth drinking, the rest of it is garbage

and the rift between KoF players and the rest of the FGC grows ever wider

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
someone money match me in ballz 3D

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the arcade where I live has two fighting games... SF2 Champion Edition and the original Virtua Fighter

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
oh, yeah, they also have SamSho 2 on a NeoGeo cabinet but someone's always playing Metal Slug 2 or Aero Fighters on it

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Holy poo poo I thought this would never happen.

Real hurthling! posted:

lol buy MKX again pc gamers

I really doubt this is how they're gonna do it, PS4/XB1 owners didn't have to rebuy MKX outright for the XL stuff.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gutcruncher posted:

Yeah but they also didnt get totally shafted from second 1.

I genuinely can't think of any reason they'd make people buy it again unless they're having to re-port it from scratch. It's not like they can't still nickel-and-dime people with the new DLC characters.

e: if it's not Netherrealm doing it in-house, yeah, it'll probably be hosed, though.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

lamentable dustman posted:

A couple months after NRS said MKXL was not coming to PC and we were being abandoned they are releasing MKXL on PC. There is free beta weekend if anyone want to try it out.

Downloading it now but I'm sure it is poo poo

I installed it, had a very lovely experience with MKX vanilla on PC (paid full price and it ran like poo poo lmao), but MKXL instantly seems way better.

CaptCommy posted:

I'm super curious to know what they're going to charge existing owners for it. Because it better be pretty dang cheap

I have a feeling Kombat Pack 2 is all existing owners will have to pay for. They'd have to be loving insane not to at least give existing owners a functioning version of the content they bought without making them pay $60 again.

e: I'm running the benchmark and sweet merciful gently caress, I have rock-solid 60FPS in 1080p on medium settings. On the old MKX port, I could only get about 30fps, tops, cranking the settings down as low as they could go. :stare: Thank you loving based NRS.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Smash is a fighting game. it's a platform fighter, which is a subgenre of fighting games distinct from the typical 1v1 Street Fighter/MK/Tekken type stuff, but that doesn't make it "not a fighting game." Overwatch is a significantly different game than Quake 3 CPMA without a ton of player overlap, but I don't see anyone calling either of those "not an FPS."

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
like, if the main goal of a video game is to just beat the tar out of your opponent(s) until you're the last one standing, it's a fighting game. the specific mechanics might put it in a weird subgenre of fighting games, but they don't make it an entirely different genre.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Endorph posted:

my favorite fighting game, fire emblem

if there were a multiplayer FE where each player controlled one character and battles were self-contained rounds rather than being part of a story mode, I would totally consider it a fighting game. it would be, like Smash, in a weird subgenre that it would likely have all to itself, but it would still be a fighting game.

chivalry: medieval warfare was actually the oddball example I was going to use, but you kinda beat me to it with your Brutal Own

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Garnavis posted:

This analogy doesn't work very well because FPS is a pretty obvious and well-defined genre (if it's in first-person perspective and you shoot people, it's an FPS). The fighting game genre is much harder to define and you can't really go on the name alone.

Whatever you want to call it, Smash belongs to a different genre than Street Fighter.

well, if it's not a fighting game, what is it? the key differences between Smash and Street Fighter are simpler movesets, complex stage designs that actually affect the gameplay rather than being purely cosmetic, and having more options than 1v1; the "knocking opponents off the stage" mechanic could also be taken as a difference, but you can actually turn that off and play stamina mode instead, which uses a more traditional health system. those all make it a different experience than Street Fighter, but not to an extent that I would consider it a different genre.

Mintergalactic posted:

if we can ever actually arrive at a definitive answer of if smash is a fighting game would it actually change anything

well the autistic "SMASH NO FIGHTAN GAEM" bleating that comes up every time anyone mentions Smash would stop and that would be cool

Endorph posted:

that exists

Endorph posted:

well, you usually wind up controlling 5-10 characters, but still, you control 3 characters in marvel and stuff so idk why that'd disqualify it

well, in Marvel you only have one out at a time, even if there's 3 on your team. still, though, yeah, I'd probably consider that a fighting game, if a very, very unconventional one. (I'd also appreciate a link because that sounds rad as gently caress)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

AnonSpore posted:

My favorite fighting game, Doom

I mean you could totally bludgeon Doom into the category if you wanted to (I know 1v1 fist duels are a thing people have done), though I think the emphasis being on ranged combat and not melee is what disqualifies it. like, Chivalry has archers, but they're there to support the 3 melee classes, not the main mechanic in the game.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

actually it would be cool if we discussed fighting games in the fighting game thread, instead of noted non-fighting games such as smash, as per the OP

you can do this without being a massive loving sperglord though. the Smash conversations only dominate the thread because people incessantly bitch about them instead of being the change they'd like to see in the world, and talking about games they like.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Reiley posted:

One of the points from that Ultrachen episode I can agree with is Smash is not a part of the FGC, it has different community leaders and different traditions and it comes from a different place than the arcade scene, but in the bigger picture of competitive games the two are more similar than any other two scenes and that common ground can be beneficial to both sides. Smash is a fighting game, but it's not a part of the FGC, I think is how it was suggested.

this is where I'd probably land. the community is definitely a totally separate thing from the FGC, even if the game is in the broad genre. but if that's where we're drawing the line for discussion in this thread, maybe this should be a FGC thread and not a general fighting game one

Endorph posted:

It's in Fire Emblem Fates as an actual feature (though you import your characters from the main campaign so that's a bit weighted,) and there's two online things for it, fire emblem tactics online, which has a persistent metagame thing where you have to level up your units and buy weapons for them to use in battles, and femp,, which has you spending a limited amount of resources on leveling up units and equipping them before every battle. I think FEMP is the best fire emblem multiplayer thing, even if it is still fairly janky.

goddamn I need a 3DS

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

dragon enthusiast posted:

there is already an fgc thread

then how about we not sperg the gently caress out in this thread namaste harambe

Reiley posted:

Do wrestling games count as fighting games? Does Fight For New York count as a wrestling game? That was a good drat game.

yes and yes imo

(would unironically like to see FFNY at EVO)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

bad metaphors posted:

I'm more interested in your definition of "sperg" than your definition of "fighting games."

in this case, it's getting wildly loving angry whenever someone brings up a game you don't like

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

He said he wants to make an ultra-stoic Samsho with MK levels of gore

didn't this happen a few years back? I could have sworn I at least saw videos of an ultra-serious and p gory SamSho on 360/PS3

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Zand posted:

yes, yes it actually absolutely is

SFV is one of the most egregiously bad fighters in a long time. other than the complete absence of any fun in the game, it also has failed to deliver on simple things like implementing directinput support for PC, which they said they were working on over a year ago during beta. please do not buy this game and give capcom the idea that they have done a good thing (they havent)

basically, what fereydun said

wait, why do you need directinput? aren't the vast majority of sticks and pads nowadays XInput?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Zand posted:

ps3 and ps4 are the fg consoles, and they use direct input. even the shittiest japanese doujin fighters support directinput. the stick i use most is directinput. also they said this was a known issue back in beta 2 like a year ago and said they would add it in.

the official branded SFV controllers had to be patched so that SFV PC would support them. yes, the controllers were patched before the game.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

i have played indie games made years ago that had proper support for DirectInput and XInput with no issues, Capcom really has gently caress all excuse on that one.

and so does every other oval office in this industry that considers only supporting XInput acceptable. gently caress you all and the horse you rode in on.

i am not denying that it is really goddamn stupid of them to not support it

i'm just a little surprised it actually affects anyone. my understanding was that DS4Windows was the main way to use a ps3/4 controller with windows, and that that emulated an xinput pad. if I'm wrong though, fair enough, I just use a 360 pad with everything (which is probably part of why I am very bad at fighters :v:) so I don't tend to pay attention to other stuff

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Reiley posted:

I was going to make a big fuss over this but I looked it up and you're right, this was the box for what I had as a kid:

I guess I have a reason to try Turbo now since I actually haven't ever played it before.

Turbo is basically just Super, but with super moves, Akuma, and faster gameplay, iirc.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Does it have titty

n, umineko has animes that actually wear clothes in it

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

anime was right posted:

i looked at the gameplay page and theres a separate parry button and 6 normals and another button

lol

idk if it's made for pad that works

weak/medium kick and weak/medium punch on face buttons, heavy normals on triggers/L2 and R2, parry and other thing on bumpers/L1 and R1

seems basically like how SF4 controls but with a parry button and another thing instead of PPP/KKK, and if there's commands for the parry and the other gimmick it'll still be fine on stick

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Endorph posted:

Yeah, he can literally destroy the concept of something. There's a cool scene where Roa gets the eyes and is all like 'hey bitch we got the same power muahaha' and shiki's all 'hey, you only see the lines on living things, right?' and roa's like 'yeah, of course' and then shiki stabs the floor and the building they're in collapses on top of them

also this scene loving rules and thank you for reminding me of it

that, the Shiki vs. Nrvnqsr fight, and the ending of Heaven's Feel in Fate/stay night are why I will defend Nasu to the death as a writer. dude can write a hell of a loving fight scene, even if they tend to be strung together with weird nonsense

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Taito announced the successor to their Nesica arcade hardware, Nesica x Live 2: it'll be released next year sometime and it'll feature online play between different game centers, similar to Tekken 7. The companies that have pledged support include Arc System Works, Square-Enix, French Bread (Melty Blood, Under Night, Dengeki Bunko), G.rev (Senko no Ronde), FK Digital (Chaos Code) and Examu (Arcana Heart, Nitroplus), and they've also confirmed that KOF14 will be a launch title for the new hardware.

I get the impression no filthy gaijin arcades are gonna get this? I know the original Nesica x Live online thing didn't work in America, period, even if you imported a cab.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

FanaticalMilk posted:

There's not a chance in the world. At best Round 1 will get a version of the cabinet that has no netplay or ability to update 2 years after the fact.

I seriously don't get why these arcade systems are specifically locked to Japan. Do they straight-up just not want gaijin money, in the manner of some of the weirder doujin devs?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

wet your whistlers mother posted:

This thread is aware that arcades are basically dead in america and the best for fighting games you find is random Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection Cabs at movie theaters, right?

it's sort of circular logic to use that as the justification for not releasing arcade stuff in America, though. even outside of the few specialized arcades that still exist, movie theaters and places like Dave & Buster's, Main Event, etc are constantly swapping out their poo poo for the New Hotness, and it'd be pretty cool to see that New Hotness be made by a company other than loving Raw Thrills for once, or maybe be an actual substantial game and not a giant Doodle Jump machine (I'm not kidding, that's honest-to-God a thing).

the stuff about needing a whole new infrastructure that Taito just doesn't wanna gently caress with makes sense, though.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ROFL Octopus posted:

Are there any Houston goons? I don't know the inner city all that well so the only arcade I can think of is Dave & Busters

there's Game Preserve up in The Woodlands (where I live :smithicide:) but they're not very fighter-focused

e: don't get me wrong it's a fun as loving hell place if you have nostalgia for US arcades from the mid-late 90s or earlier, but iirc the only fighters they have are SamSho 2 on a 4-slot MVS that people are usually playing Metal Slug on, Street Fighter 2: CE, and Virtua Fighter 1

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 19, 2016

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

In Training posted:

Metal Slug is sick though so that's not a total loss

not at all, like i said place is rad, it's just not exactly a FGC hub

expect a lot of pinball dads and early-20s hipsters

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

is this dude an actual source or is he just some random twitter man

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Brosnan posted:

A real dope character?

like 30 characters that ran the gamut between "real dope" and "literally just a Prince pun"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Broken Loose posted:

The best way to make a fighting game that will appeal to casuals is to make a fighting game featuring characters from a property from the 80's or 90's. You could have perfect gameplay, but nobody will buy a game whose cast doesn't have Funko Pop statues already for purchase.

I know you're being sarcastic but MvC2 p much proves you right

it's an unbalanced heap of bullshit that's basically pointless to try to learn to seriously play (because there's like four characters out of the entire cast who are esports-viable and the most broken of them, Cable, is dirt loving simple to learn), and yet it's also one of the most popular and well-liked fighters of all time among casuals because something like half the cast is ultra-iconic and recognizable and the other half, while less recognizable (Spiral? really Capcom?) is still really loving baller-looking