Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
As a weirdo that loves everything about fighting games but only plays single-player due to being an absolute zero in execution/reflexes, Fantasy Strike should be the game for me but it doesn’t grab me at all. If i am to be mercilessly beat i prefer it being in something that looks and feels good instead of the derivative blandness that Fantasy Strike seems to go for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
I will buy almost every fighting game available in whatever system i have at the moment (right now that means pc only) and i'm completely poo poo at all of them. ´
One thing that devs don't realize is that people like me don't want a simplified game, i don't want games with less options, with 2 moves per character and with only a couple of playstyles. The guilty gear series is my favourite and all the insanity it allows in gameplay terms is a big part of why.
That said simplified inputs would be a bless, if, and only if, the gameplay is exactly the same. I understand that sometimes motions are used as a balancing mechanism but i'm sure there is some workaround ( granblue cooldowns may partially accomplish this?).´
I don't mind losing by missing a input, or even not being able to do optimal, flashy combos, but gating basic necessities for the game behind execution requirements (tekken movement i'm looking at you) feels awful.´
I respect the people who think execution is at the core of fighting games, and even agree partially , but it is a serious turn-off for most people i try to teach.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015

Endorph posted:

My favorite plot point in the entirety of Guilty Gear is that Dr. Paradigm is a wizard that's also an aquatic reptile. So in Guilty Gear 2 he travels around using a floating bubble that he conjured with magic to be full of water.

Inbetween 2 and Xrd, Sin goes up to him and goes

"So you're a hyper powerful wizard, right?"
"Yes."
"And you can't breathe air, so you go around in a bubble."
"Yeah."
"So why don't you just use magic to make yourself breathe air?"
"That's stupid, it wouldn't possibly work, watch..."

and then Paradigm tries it and it works instantly and he realizes he's wasted the last three hundred years of his life being basically wheelchair bound when he didn't have to be.

:allears:

guilty gear is love

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
Are the Snk versions in GOG the ones with good online?

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
Niche communities are as prone to commodification as big ones, that’s the reality in capitalist hellscape. Ever since I heard of the fgc there have been obnoxious personalities vying for a place in the spotlight, the difference now it’s for money instead of merch or access to e3. Singling out sonic fox feels a little out of place when he is just riding that wave. At least as far as I know he seems to be an allright person and doesn’t prop up hateful people like some.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015

dragon enthusiast posted:

have you ever heard sonicfox do any kind of public speaking irl

I don’t really follow personal streams nor do I have twitter so my primary source these days on the fgc is actually this thread!! By what I read most people seemed to like him, has he been somewhat controversial these days?

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015

You're not the only one with those worries, i struggle with similar ones many times.
I agree with everything you said, i was just a bit confused as to why he was being spoken of, when most of my (second-hand) impressions where positive.

dragon enthusiast posted:

well no what i mean is that sonicfox has kind of mythologized themselves as a brash loud mouthed furry fighting game player who blows up chuds online

and then you see that off camera dominique mclean is actually dorky and shy and soft spoken

does it mean that they dont believe in lgbtq / progressive rthetoric irl? of course not. but you need to realize where the person ends and the brand begins. like stephen colbert the character and stephen colbert the person

Oh of course you're right, it's a problem with the way most people engage non-critically with everything.
As i said above my point was more that i was surprised to hear the name mentioned as somewhat problematic when those personalities always existed in the fgc, and often in less benign form, but i can see how people can be affected by that kind of media content.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
I would really prefer a capcom vs allstars and a separate marvel game. For good or ill the vs series comes with a lot of expectations, specially gameplay related and capcom could do as they please with their own ips away from the nightmare that must be post-mcu-disney marvel and (this is me being naive) a new marvel game built from the groundup could design it’s characters without having them conform to the vs mold.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
Quality notwithstanding, I don’t think MvC2 or older games belong in a discussion about current ways of balancing games. They are from an era where access the new tech was being friends with the top guy at the arcade, and there was no way of readily addressing even game-breaking bugs.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015

brian posted:

but those are all the good games

As someone who mostly plays games in a loving toaster i agree!!!

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
I don't understand how people complained about KoF 14 visuals when SF 5 is worse in every way, KoF graphics may be basic but i like the artstyle and it doesn't make me want to vomit like sf 5 unholy mess of colours.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
I really dislike american/western claims of pioneerism about everything, and the erasure of history that often is integral to them, but it's easy to see how a more direct and accessible work, unabashedly displaying it's themes and reveling in them, could be taken as significant, instead of something that relies on personal interpretation and creative input from specific communities.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
Oh I was talking more about karate champ and it’s ilk vs sf2 than about claims made by marketing teams and overconfident creators!!

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
Visually i like most of the new characters in Xrd, only Sin is somewhat meh to me.
Ram is a special case as i both dislike her base uniform and gameplay, but somewhere between the story mode and her animations i grew to like her and now i'm really happy with her being in Strive.
I hope Strive has gameplay analogues for Bedman and Jack-O, but wouldn't mind to see any of them return.

Kefahuchi_son!!! fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 12, 2020

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015

Endorph posted:

sexualized male designs are often very different from sexualized female designs, there are usually a wider variety of male designs, however there are also a lot of male characters in games like blazblue and granblue that are explicitly designed to pander to women and are successful at that but due to the dominance of straight male voices these are incredibly hard for people to identify or even realize exist, however the power dynamics of pandering to women via male characters are very different from pandering to men via female characters, however some people misattribute sexual female character designs in general to pandering to men when in reality those sorts of designs can also be a power fantasy for women, however 'its empowering' is also a very lame excuse a lot of designers use for titty designs, however titty designs arent inherently bad if they're presented as such honestly and without trying to make weird justifications for it, however it becomes a problem if every female character design is like that, however this doesnt mean that no female character designs should be like that, however we're very far from that being a thing that's remotely likely to happen, however every person is going to have their own individual opinions on what designs are 'good' and 'bad,' however that doesnt mean nobody's allowed to criticize anything, however marie rose's dashing normals are overpowered

think that covers everything

I love how Endorph post was the perfect answer to this argument and 100 posts later here we are again.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
That Kamasi Washington song deserved better...

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015

KoF XIV has my favourite roster of all (2002um and 11 are next). The dlc were all on point ( just missed shingo) and the base roster was already great for me ( ironically the weakest link by far is the final boss).

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015

wologar posted:

Meitenkun is their worst recent design.

I beg to differ, sleepy pillow-throwing boy is cool actually.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

They should put in that potato who rides a dog and waves a gun around. Or the Gyaru Mom and Daughter. Or the Little Red Riding hood and Werewolf tag team.

Gran Blue has a lot of good goofy characters.

Found him. His name's Skull:

This little guy is great, him being in the game would make me so happy, along with the drunk nun and chopstick samurai sensei.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015

Jack Trades posted:

Flashback owns.

Correct!!

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
Tangentially to the esport/moba discussion, i suffer from pretty severe performance and social anxiety, and one result of that is only ever playing win/lose based multiplayer games if they are 1vs1, i just can't stand the thought of being the weak link in a team, and the reproach that might follow. I also don't really mind losing if it involves doing something i think it's fun.
I expect my case to be an oulier but nonetheless i think people give too much importance to the team aspect of mobas as factor in their popularity, in comparison to fighting games.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
I think all games should have a Wi-Fi indicator but people are being seriously so obtuse regarding the constraints different contexts have. No, it does not matter if I spent whatever in something, there are a million valid reasons to not being able or wanting to afford the next thing.
It’s ok to point out the problems with wifi or to organize tournaments that ban it, but treating people interested in an already niche hobby as undesirables sounds to me as a self-defeating crusade.
And yeah i think some people are really bordering on the gatekeeping myth people have about the fgc.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
Sure, but many posts translate as “if you can’t meet my high standards you don’t have the right to play as me”. Now, I know people here aren’t talking in those terms and only want to have a good experience, but to people reading it comes across as confrontational and dismissive of everyone unable to meetings your expectations/ hardware requirements ( even if those are fair, also with people using wifi more and more the fgc needs tools to mitigate the wireless connection problem without constantly bashing people for trying to play with the means that they have. Universal indicator would be a good start, and separate player pools ( even if for certain regions/games those would very limiting).

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The only reason to call it "gatekeeping" is to smuggle in the idea that it's wrong. Nobody would blink if you objected to or were unwelcoming towards cheaters, or people who are consistently rude or unsporting. Playing fighting games on wi-fi is always the latter and in the context of a tournament that explicitly bans wi-fi it's also the former.

I distinctly said that tournament rules should be as the organizer allows, no wi-fi rule is perfectly fine, but saying wi-fi can’t be used to play fighting by games is gatekeeping, yes.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015

exquisite tea posted:

People talk a lot about toxicity in the fighting game community but what is being done about the players who are literally toxic?

I’m not one of those people, that’s why i refered to it as a myth. But the wi-fi question is the first where I encountered level-headed people making assumptions and almost insulting people for circumstances that are sometimes beyond their control.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015

IronicDongz posted:

first off, that's a completely reasonable take in a multiplayer game in the first place. you're not obligated to play with anyone else that wants to play with you

secondly, having an ethernet connection isn't a high standard

To you maybe, you don’t know about other people, nor should you make that assumption.
I said that I would like separate player pools, how’s that detractin from someone’s experiences?

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015

flatluigi posted:

something can both be beyond your control and also detrimental to the point where people don't want to and shouldn't have to play with you

It’s ok not wanting to play with people, it’s not ok to not wanting them to play at all, when people say wi-fi only people shouldn’t play, specially nowadays when more and more games require a internet connection just to play.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015

flatluigi posted:

can someone dig up some old videos of people playing people on wifi/with terrible connections as a point of reference before the third or fourth person rotates in to insist playing fightgames on a tethered phone or w/e is fine

i cleaned all the 'dumb stuff in fgs' channels off my youtube subscriptions forever ago but i do know there were some ridiculous examples out there

My point its not that is good or that you should play them, it’s that it’s the only option for a lot of people, and people will know by themselves if it’s a good experience for them or not.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
I’m not saying they’re persecuted, but the way some people talk is weirdly reminiscent of the people who insist you should have an x chair or y headphones or you can’t play a game.
I
I’ve been saying users should be able to see and decline the conectiion and different matchmaking pools would be the perfect solutio.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015

IronicDongz posted:

some people seem to sincerely not notice the difference when a game is lagging, or when there's a lot of input delay. kind of like how my cousin didn't believe me that CoD has autoaim and was just sort of befuddled when I tried to show him examples of it working ingame

Precisely and those people can have fun with a game and in their own terms, as long as that doesn’t detract from others enjoyment.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
I hope it's true, although i don't particularly like the nrs style fighters, i said before both marvel and vs series should be it's own separate thing.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015

DLC Inc posted:

Count me in as someone who doesnt want the majority of the new KOF14 characters back; Luong was one of the only ones I wanted back and I'm sure others felt the same. Team Brazil had some fun ideas but they weren't that great to play and Gang-il doesn't have a very interesting design or moveset.

No way, Verse aside most of the new blood is very interesting, and i hope they aren't afraid of using them again, particularly the weirdest ones like Xanadu, Sylvie and Kukri.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015

Mian and Sylvie pls

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
So many new posts, sure there’s new and exciting things in fighting games right?

Endorph posted:

frankly having to read 'there is no ethical consumption under capitalism' in every thread on these forums for the past 5 years is worse than the time i got sexually assaulted

I think there are better ways to phrase whatever you wanted.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015

Saoshyant posted:

Yeah, the KOFXV beta. Did you miss it or something?

Judging by the conversation most people here did.
Sadly I only have a pc so I’m stuck waiting for full release.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015

Arzachel posted:

- KOFXV actually looks pretty good when the models aren't super zoomed in for trailers and apparently plays good!
- Riot released some more info about Project L, it's a 2v2 tag game (eww) with a cool art style and people who actually give a poo poo on the technical side!
- DNF/DFO Duel got another trailer showing 5 whole seconds of gameplay with their version of RC and what looks like Blitz Shield.

Thanks!!

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015

Jack Trades posted:

Tekken 7 is easily the most popular fighting game among casual crowd and that game is obtuse as gently caress.

Tekken is popular, by my anedotal observations, because, a) it’s “realistic” and like actual martial arts and thus not for children like all those cartoon games, and b) you can mash with every character and cool poo poo comes out.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It would also be nice to see entirely genuinely new fighting games and not endless sequels and adaptations from existing media.

But those might bring new mechanics or styles of play and we can’t have that in our “Olympic sport” tier games. Look at all the gnashing about KI, just because it dared to be different in some ways.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015

Endorph posted:

i dont think this is a thing. people are pretty open to new mechanics. like homing dash in arcana heart or grd in under night are both unique but pretty well liked.

It was an exaggeration of course, but still, opinions like “ggxrd jack-o is not a real fighting game character” are not uncommon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the creative stagnation isn't a product of the games being taken seriously as a mode of competition, that's missing the forest for the trees. the cultural and economic pressures that create endless sequels and the ones that make every sequel a bland, back-to-basics, "what if we made that game all the old heads loved, but less of it?" mess aren't opposed to each other, it's the exact same loving force and the exact same problem

people who actually like fighting games have all kinds of wacky ideas and personal biases, which becomes incredibly obvious on the rare occasion they get creative freedom as designers and get to make the game they want to play

I was not alluding to the competitive nature of fighting games as motive of stagnation, i think it’s second-nature to the genre and integral to it’s appeal, but to the responses many “competitive-oriented” players have when they encounter something that changes somewhat how the game is played.
I agree with everything you said, but also think there are some sacred cows that we take for granted that can and should be looked, without compromising what makes the genre, executional difficulty being one example.