Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Bloodstorm just make me think of Bonestorm.

The Simpsons has a history of being surprisingly on point with video game parodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That video gave me the idea of a Cats fighting game and now I'm not going to be able to forget it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I did wonder if you could combine fighting game and rhythm game mechanics. And yes, I'm aware of Bust a Groove.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

In theory it could be a good idea for a women's league to build a larger talent pool and establish best practices to encourage more women into the wider scene, but if they can't even get rid of the open sexual predators then sheesh.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mandatory facecam interrupted by birb

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Give it a year or two and it'll be quaint to play any fighting game where the cast isn't quadrupeds.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Live Free posted:

people who have put years into the game still lose all the time,they just lose to different people than beginners. you absolutely should not be afraid to lose and should focus on enjoying yourself

Like any competitive game, the hump to get over is to accept that you're going to lose til you start winning.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

At a wild guess I'm pretty sure that's at least 95% bikini skins.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

HerniaFlange posted:

Goku's JP voice always weirds me out because he sounds like an angry teenager shouting. His US voice sounds like Jaleel White's Sonic on steroids and now that I've made that comparison it's actually more disturbing than the JP voice.

Not sure if you're aware but the silly thing with Goku is that he's still voiced by the same woman who voiced him back when he was like 8 years old in Dragon Ball, and she's a granny now.

It could be worse; Goku and Chi-Chi's accents in Japanese are specifically meant to be rural bumpkin ones, since Goku was raised on a mountain in bumfuck nowhere and Chi-Chi as an isolated princess. A proper adaptation would have them sounding like Cletus and Brandine.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That's a neat costume, but you're kidding yourself if you think it's making Ivy less sexualised. And then there's the game where every character is completely naked!

Also, Vegeta is literal royalty, he probably should have a fancy British accent.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I gotta ask cause it's been bothering me...

Why is MK11's story like that?

MK9 you know it's dumb time bullshit made to erase all the lovely post MK3 stories that basically no one liked or cared about and build a clean slate to do something new. MK10 has this cast of largely new characters or old ones shown in new lights that tells an effective if simple plot that seemed to be largely well liked. Lots of cool new antagonists/bad guys who are genuine threats and a glow up for the returning ones and ended with a genuinely interesting status quo (Aggro Raiden threatening invasion to Lord of the Netherrealm Liu Kang). Why did they do dumb timnebullshit reboot again?

What was the point?

They caught it off DC in the crossover

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The thing with sex creeps is that it's never, ever just the one time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

In my experience the people getting prudish over tits in video games seem MORE likely to be sex creeps. Also given the majority of accusations are of Smash Bros players...

Reminded of that KoF poll where Mai is the more popular character with women by a massive degree while all the japanese male fans apparently prefer the demure schoolgirls. I'm not sure if female Terry was counted, though.

And Mortal Kombat is anime as all holy hell, it's just also GI Joe and heavy metal album covers. Also it has shirtless costumes for most of the dudes now.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The whole aesthetic down to the over the top cheesy gore is from martial arts movies, (and MK was originally gonna star Jean-Claude Van Damme, who was reworked into Johnny Cage) which anime also takes copious influence from, so it may be kinda coincidental but I wouldn't reckon there isn't plenty of crossover of MK fans and action anime fans, so it's pretty academic really.

And yeah, Fatalities should be bloody anime and 80s action movie poo poo, slasher movies at worst. (see why Robocop, Terminator and Jason fit in so well) I think MK really suffered with the 00s/10s 'everything has to be serious and gritty and brown' lost decade for games, 11 seemed like a breath of fresh air stylistically as the game's allowed to be fun again. (but clearly still some edgy hangover)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Endorph posted:

I like clayfighters because they were hobocop, part man, part cop, all hobo, as a character, but this was deemed too offebsive by their higherups.

It's time for a Disco Elysium crossover!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Commissar Ken posted:

Everyone who comes to KoF from SF goes through that transition of "But these are just guys in regular street clothes???" to "But these are just guys in regular street clothes!!!"

The secret is SNK dudes were always cooler.

*looks wistfully at a picture of Duck King*

Terry in Smash is already a big contrast from the fighting dudes with combining supernatural powers with a street brawling style and appropriate gear. Amusingly he's often seen in fanart as buddies with Ness and Red who have similar fashion sense.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

punk rebel ecks posted:

I had the same reaction.

I remember initially enjoying the show as a kid, but being disappointed that episodes didn't have continuity like say Digimon.

It did, though? Not to the same stakes but New Century is a fairly tight series with clear arcs.

2020 is the year of quadruped fighting games

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

IIRC the Monster Hunter character was basically snuck in behind the MH devs' backs because they were really opposed to having a generic MH protagonist in a game.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Video games always seem to be in a cycle where the top dog of the generation gets cocky and screws everything up with lazy overindulgent messes that their competitors take advantage of, then has to come crawling back a generation later having tried to fix their poo poo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Jacqui seems to be massively improved in MK11. It figures that the innovative thing is to have kids actually have good relationships with their parents.

Also, Scorpion being stoked about having a family again is adorable.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Gologle posted:

If I remember correctly, Sakura is an actual martial arts genius, which is why she attracted Karin's annoying attention. She learned how to do a Hadouken from seeing Ryu do it once.

EDIT: Friendly reminder that Dan is also a martial arts master, its just that Dan is the Paul of Street Fighter and so never gets any respect

Gutcruncher posted:

I think of him more like Mr Satan. He’s actually crazy powerful compared to most martial artists, it’s just that he hangs around the tiny micro-percent that are superhuman freaks and aliens.

Thing is with Dan is that he is superhuman- he can shoot fire from his hands! When he cameos in other games he's actually pretty good. And he explicitly practices the same style as Ken, Ryu and Sakura.

The problem is that mainly he's bad at martial arts. He was literally trained wrong, on purpose, as a joke, because his mentor realised he was motivated by anger and so told him his training was complete when it really, really wasn't. Which also causes his unwarranted arrogance, since he thinks he's a master on Ken and Ryu's level and doesn't understand he has a long way to go. And I think Sakura at least basically humours him because he taught her the basics and she considers him a genuine and supportive friend.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Iterative releases like Street Fighter got made sense in the arcade format but nowhere else, and probably shoulda been a warning sign that they didn't realise that until well into the HD era.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

AndyElusive posted:

Geras is just a function, what you do with him in game is what makes him boring or not.

He's kinda this in universe too

Though I just realised he controls sand because hourglass. Also that in the game that doesn't have any of the much derided MK robots playable afaik, instead there's an immortal golem and literally the Terminator

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

MechaX posted:

But then Guile and Bison had to team up to fight Akuma when they crash landed on his evil island

Bison was even nice to Guile for a bit

I can absolutely picture that, in Bison's inimitable bombastic style.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Wasn't the movie quite literally a GI Joe movie that lost the license and retrofitted itself as SF?

I do remember reading as much. Which makes things extra weird given Mortal Kombat apparently began life as a Jean-Claude Van Damme game, but he didn't like the idea of being able to lose in the game or something, so it got reworked and they turned him into Johnny Cage. (explains a lot, doesn't it?)

Gutcruncher posted:

I mean looking JUST at SF2 itself and ignoring promotional materials and stuff showing the mascot character Ryu, it’s natural to assume Guile and Chun Li would be the main characters.

Ryu is “Karate Guy” and Guile is “Revenge on Final Boss Guy”

I think it might be something with how fighting games work; they don't really necessarily have or need a single set protagonist, especially since any 'story' mode would get dull pretty quick if you have to use the same character the whole time, so they can spread 'protagonist' traits and duties across various characters, and emphasise whoever the fans latch onto. Nintendo might actually be onto something about how they just said every ARMS character is the protagonist.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Lemon-Lime posted:

The SF2 plot has more than one protagonist. Guile and Chun-Li are the ones with a direct, vested interest in taking down Bison for personal and professional reasons, and Ryu is both Bison's and Akuma's target. Everyone else is just sort of a hanger-on, Ken included.

This also conveniently means your protagonists are American, Chinese and Japanese.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Incineroar is basically Tiger Mask as a Pokemon.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Their game is going to perfectly coincide with demands for FGC reform, so all their annoying money-fueled esports garbage is going to be conflated with cleaning up the scene or whatever and they're going to be able to do whatever they want and force everyone else to follow suit, even if and when their game turns out to be bad.

Riot having any credibility in establishing a less toxic community is pretty laffo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

mango sentinel posted:

Warner Bros/DC comics imploding is the actual issue

I also haven't heard anything about that either. DC comics is on life support like Marvel, has been for decades.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kinda surprising you don't get more villain guest stars in games. Mortal Kombat is the big exception here, though most of those are from horror franchises where they're also effectively the protagonists. The Joker being the main exception there. Also I suppose there's Bowser (and DK) in Skylanders?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Why does every explanatory video that gets linked be about 5x longer than it has to be and wastes so much of that time on misunderstanding irrelevant details

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

exquisite tea posted:

Some people truly enjoy the thrill of a closely fought battle, but if from now until the end of my video game career all anybody did was just sit there and let me beat on them all the way to a perfect 3000-0 record, I wouldn't care! I'll learn the game if I have to, but really I JUST WANNA WIN!!

P sure this is a Twilight Zone episode

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Not-Slenderman seems to have a bit of an XCOM Thin Man in there.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Anime mecha work surprisingly well in fighting games, it seems.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Goku should cameo in a DC fighting game. And return the favour with Superman in FighterZ.

Actually might work out interestingly, picturing Superman as something of a zoner, heat vision and ice breath and all.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm pretty sure fighting games have always been on the more intensive side with sprite animation. The thing is that, on top of all the reasons listed above, the short version is that simple sprites like in an 8 or 16 bit platformer are a lot easier to make than those for a fighting game where characters are expected to look more realistically proportioned and take up much more of the screen.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Endorph posted:

Honestly if they were upfront about it itd be pretty funny to see who was willing to pay to have their mascot fight ryu

Probably have someone from Raid Shadow Legends. And, I dunno, Spock.

Reminds me how if it's too early to make a new Mario Kart for the Switch, Nintendo could just make a new F-Zero instead. If you've got multiple franchises in the same genre, and dormant ones that fans are clamouring for that you still bring up in crossovers, you've got every excuse to bring back a franchise to do something different with it rather than wear out a tentpole that people are getting sick of.

I suppose there is the thing where fans can get mad if you bring back a beloved franchise to use for experiments, like the Nuts and Bolts thing- they assume, because they're usually correct, that it basically means the franchise they love is gone because if the spin-off sells well then it's going to mean more games like the spinoff and not like the original, and if it doesn't sell than the franchise is going in the vault forever.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 8, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Barudak posted:

Ken vs A Guy Wearing Louis Vuitton

Lightning?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Barudak posted:

That is a woman and she is no longer their spokesmodel.

I also have to obfuscate the brand because I think Im gonna unironically propose this to Capcom now that I know theyve had dev issues again and I have to meet with them for other proposals.

Helmut Kruger

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Azran posted:

Johnny Cage is the most wholesome dad ever, don't you dare diss him.

Now Sonya, on the other hand... (Having Sonia refer to Reagan in MK11 was the weirdest thing ever)

Johnny Cage is the one who brings up Reagan, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbbfMFChSzE&t=926s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I feel like it'd be more interesting and creative to adjust character movesets to suit the tone of the game they're in.

Smash Bros does interesting things there, though its format has more leeway. Reminded that Terry's only fully original move (and even then it's apparently similar to another KoF character's move) is his up-aerial, which Sakurai admits is because his original movesets don't have an appropriate move for that.