Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Lemon-Lime posted:

http://gematsu.com/2016/04/koihime-enbu-coming-west-pc-via-steam-may

Time to get the bad anime fighting games along with the good ones.

Koihime is a solid footsies-based fighter, so I'm pleased it's getting a domestic release of some kind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Buhbuhj posted:

Did anyone get Koihime Enbu and is the netcode poo poo?

I got it. I actually managed to get five ranked matches in, all against the same guy, doing a nearby region search with 2+ connection (I guess 3 is the highest, and I'm east coast US). I'm not sure just how far away they were, but all the matches except the last one played pretty smoothly. The last one only had several seconds near the beginning where the lag was noticeable, then things settled down. If you're not familiar with how Koihime handles lag, it's the same as on PS3/4. There's no warping or bad input delay, it's more like everything slows down. Get enough lag and it's like the match is played in slow motion, which is pretty funny because then you can react to everything in time. Anyway, I went 3-2 in those five close matches, he knew what he was doing.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

As a head's up for anybody looking on the Mizuumi wiki for Koihime info, the information there is accurate for the original Koihime, but Koihime Enbu is an updated version. The pages for the new characters don't have any information, and some of the information for the old characters is no longer accurate, more for some characters than others.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

AH3 is actually relatively balanced, decent tourney variety and you could still be competitive with a bottom-tier if you're good enough (though admittedly unlikely to win big tournaments). It's also really fun and fast-paced when you're used to the various systems. Really hope somebody is working on an AH4.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

I'm looking for a PS4 stick, and I also want to try using the Seimitsu LS-32-1 in this stick. My PS3 stick uses Sanwa, which is good, but by the descriptions I'm thinking I would like a Seimitsu better. But, I can't find any pre-built sticks like from Madcatz or whatever which come with Seimitsus by default. I see that Qanba now has a fairly inexpensive PS4 stick now called the Drone, how easy/hard are Qanbas to mod?

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Yeah, Koihime has solid footsies, is pretty fun, and sometimes you can do long, very damaging combos if you get a fatal counter (which tends to happen less the better you and your opponent are at the game).

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Soul Calibur (any): Sophitia
Tekken 7: Lili
Virtua Fighter 5: Aoi
Arcana Heart 3: Nazuna
Aquapazza: Karulau
Nitroplus: Sonico
Street Fighter (any): Ken
KoF XIV: Clark/Love Heart/Mui Mui
KoF XIII: Clark/Benimaru/Maxima
Koihime Enbu: Ryofu
Melty Blood: C.W.Len
GG: Dizzy
UNIEL: Nanase

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Very happy to see my main, Sophie, back.

I liked the concept of supers in SC5 way more than the implementation, mainly due to very uneven balancing. I'm looking forward to seeing the new systems, but I really want some of the old ideas to return and maybe upgrade them to work with newer stuff. Like, here's my general wishlist off the top of my head:

- Bring back moving/cancelable soul charging, but have it be a way to build meter for EX moves if you charge at least halfway
- More guard-cancelable moves/stances in general
- More ways to pressure (i.e. safe or positive moves on block)
- EX moves (and supers IF they're actually balanced better) have better properties and cost meter
- Guard impacts go back to SC2 style, but you can choose to do the SC5 version by spending a full bar of meter
- Step-guarding like in SC3 comes back (I know people love SC2's version, but getting into high-level play it boosted turtling too much since the guard could become active basically instantly, and not enough of the cast had strong-enough options to effectively discourage it)
- Step (and movement in general) SC or SC2 style, I'd be fine w/ either
- No just impacts, unless it's strictly to help build meter

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

I could see that complaint for Melty, based on the various Shikis, Akihas and Lens. Way less so for Nitroplus and honestly most other anime or airdash fighters, at least that I'm familiar with.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Even somebody like Frank West is a witch if they can use the magic series.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

WarEternal posted:

That's not even remotely true. If you view it that way, as a casual person, it immediately occurs to you "why the gently caress am I watching this at all?". A person who doesn't understand a single mechanic or something like spacing would just look and say "wow, people pressing buttons, I can do that, who gives a gently caress".

Yeah. I remember an interview I had many years ago for a minor scholarship to a state university. One question was about my general interests, and one of the interviewers was puzzled that I said one of my interests was fighting games at more than a casual level. She was aware of fighting games at a very basic level, and she couldn't understand why something that was just random button-mashing (as she put it) would be interesting for more than a few minutes. I almost started to talk about how that wasn't correct at all and random button-mashing wouldn't let one person (Justin Wong at the time) win tourneys so consistently, etc... But the general vibe she was giving off at the time and a somewhat dismissive follow-up remark told me she really wasn't interested in having her viewpoint challenged on the topic, so I just shrugged and moved on to talking about other, more academic interests.

One person isn't a representative sample of the general public, but I've met a good number of other people outside the FGC with that sort of view in the years since. Generally with sports like football, people tend to understand and respect the physical athleticism shown off, even if they don't see the skill or understand the rules. You don't need to understand the sport to be impressed by a huge 300 lb defender tackling the guy with the ball so hard the ball and his helmet go flying.

Marin Karin posted:

Apparently SoulCalibur 6 will give meter to a player with a 2-round deficit... I don't really think that's a great idea?

That sounds like the same thing SC5 did. It did not seem like a huge deal to me, but I don't know enough about how meter usage will play out in SC6 to say if it will have the same effect or not.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

sharrrk posted:

Do you think zoro would have stances to change how many swords he's wielding

He should.

More importantly, he should be able to spend all his meter to prevent a ring-out, because he actually got lost while falling off and found his way back onto the stage.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

dromer posted:

People mess around much more in casual matches, which means that there's a lot of slop that you can get away with.

At tournaments you get a much better barometer of what you're doing wrong because everyone brings their A-game so every deficiency in your playstyle will be exploited. This makes it a lot easier to get an accurate assessment of what you're doing wrong and how you can improve.

This isn't necessarily true. Some top players play their best regardless, but others will mess around with secondaries or try out gimmicks (yes, during a major tournament) if they know you're a newbie or just not that good. That's because they know they can lose a match but can still win the set by switching to serious play if you prove you're worth their time by winning a match. This is speaking from experience, one example being where I was the newbie and the guy's friends in the audience yelled at him to stop messing around with his secondary after I beat him the first match. And if you're not good enough to win a match, you don't get to see the good stuff. You can still learn from losing to their less serious play, it takes a disciplined mindset to do that when you know the other guy is not taking you seriously. Then there's top players who might start off seriously in a set, but switch to secondaries and experimenting after a few matches of destroying you, which I've also seen. Not everybody is fortunate enough to live near players who are both really good and also helpful in learning.

I also know that, back before you could easily look up videos of matches on YouTube or Twitch, I had a very difficult time learning from getting destroyed just because I didn't remember all the details of what was going on. It's much easier to learn nowadays just because of easy access to match videos, so you can review them at your leisure.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Real hurthling! posted:

Its supposed to have good foosties iirc

It has very good footsies, yes. It plays much closer to something like ST/3S in terms of neutral, and has no air dashes, despite being anime.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Nice hot takes, and it's actually good.

Solid, fundamental footsies with some fireballs making up the majority of neutral is how it's similar to ST and 3S. Not that difficult.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

I don't want a guest character repeat in SC, but maybe they could bring in Rugal similar to how Tekken brought in Geese.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Don't toy with my emotions like that.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

RoadCrewWorker posted:

According to streamers it actually came out an hour early, and apparently it's literally just ranked matchmaking as the only menu option. People have to look up move-lists on half finished wikis.

The SCVI trial today was originally announced as a network test, so I'm not all that surprised to hear it's limited to just the functionality which would test network performance. And that does match up with the description in the Playstation store, which lists ranked online as the only mode. Not including move-lists is a bit disappointing, though in general it's not hard to figure a good portion of that out through basic trial-and-error, especially if you've had almost any prior experience w/ the series.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

P-Mack posted:

Koihime Enbu Ryorai has been scientifically tested to have the best netcode. Make of that what you will.

You're probably thinking of the test for best (i.e. lowest) measured input delay for recent fighting games, which did have Koihime ranked first. I haven't heard of a netcode test involving Koihime.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Guilty Gear XX Accent Core values

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Merilan posted:

I kind of want Melissabelle (who fights with her hair) because if anyone intimately knows how to handle hair-fighting, it's the guys who've done Millia Rage for years

But there's honestly so many characters with cool fighting styles in Granblue, both orthodox and unorthodox

I want to see a giant meteor crash into the stage only for Ghandagoza to punch the opponent through the meteor and out of the stratosphere for a Destroyed finish, that's my only real non-negotiable demand.

Anthuria would be cool to see how they'd do evade-heavy dance combat. If they wanted to do a puppet character, Orchid is right there. I also want to see some sort of Zodiacs team-based character.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

I thought the feel was ok during this latest Beta round. Neutral feels like an unusual mix of Koihime (or maybe SFV for a less obscure comparison) and BlazBlue (minus the air dashing), and it'll probably be somewhat more dynamic once people start using universal evade options. The actual network performance part seemed fine to me once the match started, though there were some variable and kinda long wait times when getting matches connected.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Can I pick Haohmaru and one-shot somebody w/ counterhit stand heavy slash? If not this needs to be a day 1 patch. :colbert:

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Why do I suddenly feel personally attacked?

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

I don't like RE either, but it's usually not too hard to work around (whether by baiting it or by doing RE-safe moves). However, the thankfully rare ability to cancel RE into some other evasion or move (only a few characters have this) is obnoxious and poor balance IMO. I think having meter is fine, but I'd much happier if it was only used for soul charging and supers didn't exist (or at least were much more punishable on block/whiff, like automatic CH state or something).

I think part of the lower numbers for it is the slow DLC pace, and another part is the overwhelming success of T7 taking more attention than usual away from SC6 as the 3D game of choice.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Azwel: Has to be noticeably nerfed twice
Also Azwel: Still just barely misses winning Evo

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

In Training posted:

Lol but world tendency in a FG would be sick...

Not as sick as being about to level-up in a ranked match, when all of a sudden "You have been invaded by dark spirit FluffyDestroyerOfWorlds".

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

It's unfortunate that most people here pass on Koihime because of some plot background or the character designs (which I also don't understand, IMO they're no worse than Laura, Chloe, most of the DoA roster depending on costume, etc...), because it's one of the most solid and fun 2D footsies-style fighters I've ever played. I'm fortunate to have strong local comp for it, though.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

In Training posted:

I don't mean from some sexualization angle or w/e I just mean the character art is ugly as sin.

That's fair, and I can understand people not liking that art. That just wasn't the first reason I thought of since the first comment was about being embarrassed if the girlfriend walks in, but maybe I misinterpreted.

Design-wise, I'll take Tekken over SFV any day.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Big Scary Owl posted:

Wtf I like the ost :(

Amusingly, my local comp in Koihime hates the art but LOVES the OST, while I think the OST has a few great tracks but mostly is just kinda there.

Also, Ryofu (Koihime Lu Bu) has the most satisfying 5C since Haohmaru.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Soul Calibur VI.

Going to pick up Granblue Fantasy VS when it comes out.