Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nogic
Jul 6, 2002

Pomp posted:

Riot had (has?) exclusivity agreements that prevented events (e.g. dreamhack) from hosting similar games.

They also more recently attempted to ban teams with LoL teams from having teams for other mobas.

esports is loving garbage.

Kind of sounds like it's just Riot that is garbage

My favorite fighting games are CvS2, TTT2, and War Gods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nogic
Jul 6, 2002
So it's senko no Ronde?

nogic
Jul 6, 2002
The Tekken thing is good, but I would still really like to just have frame data in-game in Tekken 7.

nogic
Jul 6, 2002
How Is The Netcode ?

(besides the comedy "nonexistent" answer)

nogic
Jul 6, 2002
It means an attack that will hit an opponent the exact instant they get up off the ground. Typically in a 2D fighter, when a character is getting up from a knockdown, they become vulnerable at the same time (same frame) that they gain the ability to act again. So if you hit them meaty, they can only beat your attack with an invincible reversal (e.g. dragon punch or super). Those moves are almost always very risky and/or hard to do, so hitting your opponent meaty is the best way to attack them when they get up from a knockdown.

nogic
Jul 6, 2002
Calling it a "season pass" implies there will be more stuff released later. Then again, it also implies there will be multiple seasons, and we all know how that usually ends up.

nogic
Jul 6, 2002

That's awesome, it's like a tournament for the tag team counters from Project Justice.

nogic
Jul 6, 2002
I can't see it being just dead. Tekken is a huge series, and the game won't be awful. There should be plenty of people around here at least to play with on PC.

nogic
Jul 6, 2002

Lessail posted:

It's not a question of sell well, it's a question of if it'll beat MvCI to show Capcom the error of their ways (they'll never see it no matter what so it's kinda pointless)

Their takeaway will be, why bother, fighting games don't make money, let's not make them anymore.

nogic
Jul 6, 2002

Cis Lord posted:

Have you guys been following any of this PR talk about MxC? Like, the thing that's being pushed is every character will be viable and players will be able to have a unique style with them. Why is this being promoted as a feature and not a standard that's expected out of a fighting game?

Those were common/popular complaints about SFV.

nogic
Jul 6, 2002
What? The whole reason movement works in Tekken is that you're not locked in to anything.

nogic
Jul 6, 2002
My favorite fight game button is Yamazaki's far HK in CvS2, from max range.

nogic
Jul 6, 2002
You can block by holding back in doa. The block button isn't even called block.

nogic
Jul 6, 2002

RoadCrewWorker posted:

So, uh, is every move in T7 inherently stance based? Aside from the obvious thing that running completely changes the buttons, It took me a full day to figure out that "df2" aka "3B" is completely different when executed as "B while holding 3" vs "tap 3+B at the same frame from neutral", because they're different moves when executed from a standing vs a crouching state. And the notation even has an explicit "while standing" qualifier but nobody ever seems to bother using it consistently. Also there's the weird overload of "down", where holding it is ducking, but tapping it is a sidestep. Does the game give you a few frames of crouch state before transitioning into the sidestep state once it receives the KEY_UP event? And then switch into the side-walking state once it receives another press afterwards? 8 has a similar behavior, but tapping 9 is always a hop, except tapping 7 is neither a jump or a sidestep, and jumping backwards needs a hold.

This isn't me complaining, more wondering if long time players actually think that stuff is intuitive? Because none of the "beginner" or "essentials" tutorials even bothered to mention any of it, and that poo poo's genuinely more arcane than 95% of the stuff i've seen people mock Dota for, or the myriad of systems ASW piles on in their games. And that's not even going into the high/low crush vs moving hitboxes distinction or "special mids".

1) In Tekken, "while standing" actually means "while rising from a crouch", not "while you are standing around". It's like this because the WR abbreviation is used for "while running", so WS is while standing.

2) So all characters have three basic stances: standing, crouching, and while standing (i.e. rising from a crouch). It's important to learn the WS moves for your character, because one of them will be a quick hitting mid, and another will be a launcher, and you need to know those as punishes, but also so that you don't do the wrong one at the wrong time.

3) You basically have the down inputs correct. Inputting down, neutral quickly will get you a sidestep, but just holding down will get you a crouch. If you hold straight down (2), the game doesn't consider you crouching for 6 (I think) frames, so you won't get the crouch state before your sidestep. However if you hit down/back (1), you will be able to block low instantly. You just don't gain the actual crouch state instantly.

nogic
Jul 6, 2002
I think DOA games actually don't have a command jump. There are plenty of attacks that involve jumping/flipping/etc., but I don't think it's possible to just jump.

nogic
Jul 6, 2002
How about unicle dash R?

nogic
Jul 6, 2002
Summon Suffering doesn't seem like a pentagram, at least not after the first part. Those other inputs someone posted above for the witch girl from Arcana Heart are way better pentagrams.

nogic
Jul 6, 2002
All fighting games are anime fighters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nogic
Jul 6, 2002
It should be said that UNI has the easiest inputs possible for a fighting game, without having "simple" inputs. No double fireballs, supers are just qcf+C or whatever, you don't even have to press two buttons like in Marvel, etc. The hardest motion in the game is like, a half circle.