Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!

mango sentinel posted:

Anyone have experience with this?
https://www.amazon.com/Neogeo-x-Arcade-Stick-Electronic-Games/dp/B0098F6PSY/

I'd be using it for MVS emulation more than actual fighters but I was curious to know how it felt.

Coming back to this, the Neo Geo X is what it is, but the controller is a reasonable facsimile of the real thing, especially if SNK won't make another one of their own.

I prefer it to any other controller for playing SNK games, and it even works with KOF 14 for PS4 if you go into legacy controller settings. Depending how you're emulating, you may have to use Joy2Key or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

mango sentinel posted:

Do you know if it works with the Switch since that's where the bulk of my ACA collection is?

Ugh, as far as I can tell it does not, and I have certainly tried. My ACA stuff is on the Switch too, and I greatly desire a solution for that. If anyone knows of any sort of hack, I'm all ears.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

Right? I might try seeing if I can set something up with a PS4 adapter or something, but I'm not hopeful.

It also doesn't work natively with KoF 13 on PC or anything ported by Code Mystics, but as I mentioned, Joy2Key gets around that.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

They were talking about his taunt being integrated into his gameplay. Could you imagine if it worked like Art of Fighting and he could drain his opponent's meter?

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I like that KOF roster list, but I don't believe it There aren't any brand new characters at all, which seems fishy, considering XIV had a lot. I guess XIII didn't have any either, but that had a rough development process.

It's sacrilege, but I'm kinda hoping for a playable Jeff

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

Gologle posted:

My respect for Terry just plummeted off a skyscraper, but after I grabbed onto its arm it just let go

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

Got a few more pictures of KOF XV here:

https://www.gematsu.com/gallery/the-king-of-fighters-xv/january-7-2021

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I'm just not a fan of the pygmies. It's pretty cringey every time that stage comes up.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

Ummmm..

https://twitter.com/SNKPofficial/status/1347356855215943681

That's like in 20 minutes.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

yo mamma a Horus posted:

who is you're favorite guilty gear champion??

Milia is my favorite toon, but I also like Zato-1, Potemkin, Kliff, and the rest of her wacky Toontown friends!

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

Third Hero Team member got announced, sort of:

https://twitter.com/SNKPofficial/status/1354611932506931201

Not 100% surprising, given his shirt and the way he tends to sneak onto the protagonist teams. I've seen two major rumored roster leaks, and this contradicts both of them.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

Some classy, Shakespearean actor as M. Bison. Like Patrick Stewart but younger. They can recognize camp when they see it and secretly want desperately to be big scene stealing hams, which the role of Bison would require.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

Smash was from the OST of Fatal Fury 2. This is either an arrangement from the AST, or a new version. I'll have to listen again more closely.

Congrats to Joe for joining Team Iori!

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

It's gotta be Axl, right?

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

DLC Inc posted:

Nagoriyuki and Baiken are right there

Yeah, but Axl's the time guy

I-No looks so cool

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

As someone who is bad at combos, I appreciate how easy it is to combo a Danretsuken into a Hisshou Buraiken.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

So you're saying Testament is a good starting character then?

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

istewart posted:

I'm still an FG newbie, but I have to say, out of all the vintage ones I've been playing, I love Garou the most. The inputs are really smooth, and sometimes I'm able to surprise myself. I wish they had included Terry's bomber jacket look in Smash Bros as an alt costume.

Is there any explanation as to why in most other regions of the world, the Brazilian karate practitioner is named Marco Rodriguez, but the US version calls him Khushnood Butt? It's like some bizarre mis-anglicization of the Indian name Bhatt. I just don't get it... did SNK USA decide there'd be viral marketing based on everybody telling their friends, "lol, in this one you can totally play as a guy named BUTT!"

I've never seen any explanation for his name change, but I'm guessing it was done to increase interest in the Pakistani market, as Neo Geo machines were generally more readily available than other fighting game cabinets in regions outside of the US and Japan. As for the spelling, SNK's localizations of the era can be very strange sometimes, but I don't think the idea was "lol butts". I had seen Bhatt anglicized as Butt once or twice prior to that, so I think they just didn't think it was weird at all.

They seem to be keeping up with the name scheme; He appears in KOF XIV in the Art of Fighting team ending, referred to as Khushnood, but I don't know if SNK has put a huge amount of thought into what name they should go with.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The two widely-held reasons for the change were that SNK USA thought the original name was too close to the MMA fighter Ricco Rodriguez, and that Khushnood Butt was taken from one of their business partners in Pakistan, similar to how Kim Kaphwan was named after a Korean associate.

This is probably more accurate info tbh

But yeah, Neo Geo games were generally popular in a lot of places around the world that other fighting games didn't have the reach for since the arcade machines were relatively cheap to swap out cartridges, especially for older games that dropped in price quickly. Also, since the platform was supported for a very long time, an old junky machine that's been sitting in the corner for ten years could conceivably get a brand new game for it.

Sesq fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 9, 2021

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

Old Faces

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

Yakuza 6 just got ported to PC

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

The music was her theme from AoF2, and the stage is also pretty similar to her AoF2 stage. I will cheerfully accept a big King-themed update.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

Endorph posted:

Kasumi was in the Women's Fighters Team ending in XIV mentioning that she wanted to get in on it next time, iirc, so maybe Kasumi/King/Mai?

King/Yuri/Kasumi for the AOF Women's team, Mai/Mary/Alice or Xiangfei or someone for FF Women's Team

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

K9999's not hard to salvage. Just recolor Nameless, keep the name, drop the goopy arm and other obvious references to Tetsuo, and you're good. A good makeover's all you need. Nothing's stopped SNK from putting 2001 and regular 2002 on the Switch either. I think it's just that he's not popular enough to bother.

I think there's going to be some sort of NESTS presence in XV, since it's implied they seem to be doing something in XIV. Dead characters are on the table, and NESTS seems to be in better shape right now than the Orochi crew, considering Orochi came out half-baked at the end of XIV. That said, I don't know what a NESTS team would look like since your options are Foxy, who I think is more loyal to Kula than NESTS, Angel, who's out of the organization, K9999, who's K9999, and a bunch of bosses. Maybe a new character or two like they did with Sylvie.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I'm real bad at combos, but I'm best at them in Marvel vs Capcom 3. It only requires a little practice to do a basic Light > Med > Hard > Launcher > a few random hits and maybe a special > super that works with a variety of characters.

I occasionally try SFV combo missions and always feel like a loser when I have to do HP > Cr LK > EX SRK and do a QCF move on the extremely rare occasion I can get the link to work.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I think this one's Vanessa. I'm assuming this is another member of Mary's team, and if she's not on the Women's Team, I don't really know what makes sense other than some configuration of Vanessa/Seth/Ramon. But then, maybe she is on the Women's Team and Yuri or Mai isn't.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

So we've got Mai, Yuri, Mary, and Luong, and no definitive confirmation of the Women's Team yet. Is Luong on Mary's team? If so, why? If one of those two is on the Women's Team, where would Mai or Yuri fit?

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

The contract with Capcom likely doesn't have an expiration date, and if so, Bamco would be fools to give it up. Card Fighters DS happened because SNK still had the rights to make one more crossover game from the original agreement, as I understand it.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

No Little Prince = No Buy

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Why are they specifying it as DOA6 as if that series ain't done and dusted as a fighting game franchise

Licensing a singular game is often cheaper and easier than a whole franchise, and DOA6 is going to have all the characters they want to include. When KOFAS did a Samurai Shodown collaboration, it was specifically for SS4.

It's my understanding that the KOF for Girls game licensed KOF 2002 and could only use characters who appeared in that one. It's still a lot of characters and almost all of the popular ones.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

This looks like longer hair to me so either Athena or Kula, but Athena would likely have some sort of outline of a hair band or something, so I'm going Kula for this one.

I note we still don't know the third member of the Women's Team, or even if there is one.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

Not the same Luke, apparently

https://twitter.com/takaNakayama/status/1422702189777096705

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

Luke confirmed for KOF15

https://twitter.com/SNKPofficial/status/1422739062163640320

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I was sure it was Antonov, but my expectations were shattered all the same.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

Assuming she's in, they should have done a trailer for her this week to keep people guessing as to what's going on with no team reveal at the end

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

Here's some KOF shots from the Gamescom presentation, including the character select screen

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1430585916708442115?s=19

Looks like 17 teams plus a boss. Some of the icons for unrevealed characters have a KOF symbol, but others have question marks. Dunno what's up with that.

Edit: trailer here https://youtu.be/_o7Ip64-Sio

Rollback netcode, hefty looking music player feature, and comes with an animated feature by Masami Obari

Sesq fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 25, 2021

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

We need more new villains like Necalli

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

This is 100% what I hoped they were going to do with K9999, if they were ever going to do anything. All he needed was new hair, more focus on fire abilities, new voice actor, and a change in the look of that one super and he's good to show up again. Nothing about Tetsuo was intrinsic to his character.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

From what I understand, the DLC teams have been datamined, too. It's my understanding that they're all non-canonical

MOTW Team: Rock, B. Jenet, Gato
Southtown Team: Geese, Billy, Yamazaki
Orochi Team: Orochi Chris, Orochi Yashiro, Orochi Shermie
Samurai Shodown Team: Nakoruru, Haohmaru, Darli Dagger

Doesn't look like we're getting Kim, sorry. Maybe there'll be more seasons down the line. There's also Omega Rugal as a DLC edit character or possibly an unlock. He's not the final boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

night slime posted:

It looks like there's also bosses that are codenamed ReVerse, Otoma=Raga, and Omega Rugal, as well as possibly 1 more DLC character they didn't list at all in between the numbered SamSho characters.

Yeah. Just as a sanity check though, this is all datamined info, so the pieces may fit differently than expected, or they're not what's really there at all. Maybe those bosses are one of the DLC teams.

I'm a little surprised they didn't cover their tracks a bit more, after that SamSho DLC datamine a while back. It probably wasn't a priority though in order to get the new demo out the door as the release nears.