Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«27 »
Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Baal posted:

KoF02 UM is a fun game with one of my favorite FG characters in it. I recommend playing some of the old rear end Fatal Fury games too even if they're p old, it's always fun to see GEESE's origins.

I'd also recommend Maximum Impact because of how loving stupid it is, but that's not one I'd recommend for anything other than Schadenfreude. Ikari Warriors, Art of Fighting, basically if an old game has characters from later KoF games in it then I'd say play it to at least get familiar with character origins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xOGdVBUGOA

play any snk game on fightcade

not kizuna encounter, that game is loving trash

live picture from fightcade. these people are waiting to play with you!

Zand fucked around with this message at Apr 15, 2016 around 19:02

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

https://cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4/pmof.mp4

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3j7rvNfvTU

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Baal posted:

melty blood is on steam

missing stages and modes and you can't use the caster with it and the new netcode is worse than the caster

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Lemon-Lime posted:

I caved and bought it earlier today after I saw ArcSys had already put out a couple of patches to address stability issues. They're a good publisher on PC.

good at everything except communicating if they will release xrd

edit: they were even upfront on the steam discussion forum regarding battle fantasia and the concept that they are "holding other games hostage"

but they dont talk about xrd

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Dias posted:

Hah, apparently Namco got Akuma in Tekken by allowing Capcom to use their patented training mode stuff, no cash money involved.

(link in portuguese: http://games.tecmundo.com.br/notici...nada_822995.htm)
id think that having a good training mode would just be an extension of some sort of developer tool. the fact that they couldnt do this without help speaks volumes

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why are there so many visuals novels that turn into fighting games? The two genres couldn't be more different and you would think that would echo with the player base of the genres.

anime

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Hobojim posted:

I heard that a lot and just thought Lee got really excited when he Bill Cosby'd somebody in a match. Good to know it's universal.

I'm also trying out Garou Mark of the Wolf, that's a bit more complicated than Karnov's Revenge. Not a ton of info out there, but I THINK I have some very basics down with Gato for now, plus some combo that does like 90% damage in the corner. I thought it would play more like KoF, but turns out I'm pretty wrong on that front. Fightcade is fun.

what do you mean not a ton of info?

heres some info:

that game loving sucks

also this:
http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Garou:_Mark_of_the_Wolves

there actually is a plethora of info out there for practically every game if you know where to look. srk wiki has poo poo for most of the games that get played on fightcade. between this and youtube you now have enough information to learn for yourself why garou is a monster piece of poo poo.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Hobojim posted:

I looked at the SRK wiki. The general mechanics are outlined pretty well but there's not a ton of info beyond very basic combos for most of the characters (except for Rock Howard for some reason? I guess he's popular despite everybody saying he's awful.)

Like, I was trying to figure out some stuff with Gato but even with youtube there's like two matches where he's being played. I'm sure info is out there, I didn't look that hard, but it's jarring going from newer popular games to fightcade things.

I also didn't realize the game sucked, I have two friends who insist it's the best fighting game ever aside from 3rd strike which I hate. I'm open to suggestions, though.

the game is only fun because it sucks. free guard cancels and an instant block that heals you are great fun if you aren't an awful player, especially if there is a skill disparity. thats not a reason to not play it by any means... most of the most fun games are loving atrocious once you explore them enough. playing garou well against people that think its good is a great feeling. most pages on the wiki have a cancel chart and the game is pretty easy to explore the feint cancels and stuff in. there are some really neat tool assisted vids for garou as well that are worth checking out to see some of the potential for different stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6YaNpANVpc

if you want to play the busted poo poo, just pick kevin

edit: wowwww thats the worst one in that tas series for sure. the other ones are way cooler :|

Zand fucked around with this message at Apr 24, 2016 around 04:43

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Hobojim posted:

Thanks for the tips, I'll give it some more time tomorrow.

I really only started playing fighting games beyond a casual level late last year, so I'm trying to expand my horizons somewhat considering the only non-SF game I know how to play is KoFXIII. I've played the older Steam KoF games somewhat as well. Glancing at the numbers on fightcade at the moment, aside from KoF 98 and 02 it looks like most people play 3rd strike (in which I have no interest), Marvel vs. Capcom (which I kind of hated) and Vampire Saviour. I think I'll try VSav next.

Any hidden gems that I should be checking out? There's also a bunch of people on JoJo's, maybe I'll give that a shot too. I don't particularly care about the number of people playing, I'm just using popularity as a measure of quality which I realize isn't the best idea.

using popularity isnt the best idea but its the easiest way to find varied skill levels of players. thats the real trouble with fightcade, when you're bad at any game and if it only has a few people in the room they might be gods. like in the vsav room theres a total of like 10 people that even play and to get to their level its going to take a LOT of grinding. finding bad players like yourself outside of fightcade, like in IRC rooms and in this thread or others and grinding out matches with them can help catch up.

as far as games worth messing around in on fightcade, I personally mess around in quite a few games.

breakers revenge is really fun but its filled with rear end in a top hat players and also you will lose a lot.
xmen cota has like randomly 1 person in the room and its loving BattousaiCV and you will only lose and never win.
karnovs has only killers also...
marvel super heroes is the same...
cyberbots is a cool game with like 2 players... and they are way better than you
xmen vs sf has a medium-sized and varied player pool but its mostly killers..
kof98 and 2k2 are cool because they have a lot of middle-of-the-road players in both rooms from all over the world.
3s has a high variation in skill levels but if you're starting now you're going to be really behind. there are people in there that even I can beat so you probably have a chance.
ST is extremely unforgiving (its in the list as Super Street Fighter II X Grand Master Challenge btw). there are tons of bad players but even people just running gimmicks in this game can be very frustrating.
SFA3 is a horrible game much like garou but its fun for a laugh. lots of good players in the room but mostly mediocre kaillera caliber stars
SFA2 is a decent enough game but the emulation in this current version of FBA sucks so bad. it may be possible to have fun in this game!
jojos... good loving luck. cool game but http://wiki.standcrash.com/index.php?title=Main_Page hit the books if you want to win

oh, and puzzle fighter is on there. i'm trying to play but the people in there are too good.

Fighting randoms on fightcade is fun sometimes but especially when you're just getting started, having battle buddies you can depend on is where its at.

Oh, and IMO the best way to get good at fighting games in general is to play as many games as possible. there does exist a general skillset for playing fighters that can be difficult to develop if you only play a few (especially newer) games

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Dias posted:

Well, Madscientist seems to be working directly with Arcsys to implement rollback, but it's still on its early stages - they're not sure if it's gonna be a new implementation, if they're just gonna license CCCaster, etc. The good thing is that Melty is already dead, so that which is dead may eternal lie and poo poo.

Japanese game devs taking advice from a westerner and likely being in charge of implementation sounds shaky to me

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

dangerdoom volvo posted:

i bought melty blood because thats what i do but i dont know poo poo about it, theres some guy in there called NRVNQSR CHAOS so thatscool i guess and like 10 different combinations of maids and cat maids and robot maids

that game is very fun. i have only played as full moon seifuku ahika tohno personally. she seems really bad but she can press 2A like crazy.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNJMCZvzM2E

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Baal posted:

The SVC sprites look bad

they remind me of donkey kong country

Luigi Thirty posted:

I want to replace the white buttons in my TE2+ with red ones. Which model Sanwa button do I need for this thing and where should I order from?

OSBF 30

can get on amazon ebay or focusattack

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Chinook posted:

I'm doing the challenge trials in SF5 and I can't finish some of the 4 move combos. I'm chaining them together in good time, but the last move keeps getting blocked. What do I need to do differently?

faster

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm having a ROM related problem with fightcade. Can I talk about it here?

yeah.. it can be difficult to properly rip the roms legally from your arcade boards but plenty of people here play on fightcade so you know there are lots of knowledge people here

Zand fucked around with this message at Apr 26, 2016 around 18:23

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

interrodactyl posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/dnastyx

please add me to play super turbo or other cool games on fightcade or just find me on #goonsgarden

i like
magical drop 3
alpha 2
neo turf masters
vampier savier the lord of vampier

mostly i play st poorly and i will play some hyper fighting once the new fightcade comes out

fight me puzzle fighter though

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

attackmole posted:

Yeah I was eyeing the ultimate version just for training mode but figured I would still hit it up on fight cade.

Any ways thanks for the recs

set emulator mode to AES and go ham in trainer mode. make sure you change it back to MVS when you're done

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

What do you guys think of the post '09 fighting games?

Do you feel that they hold up to those from the classic age of the '90s and early 2000s?

no

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Chev posted:

It's not free, you're just not paying for it. Get the difference?

lol if you don't have a script set up to delete and redownload the roms every 23 hrs and 59 minutes so you can play without legal consequence

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

In Training posted:

I've been using my hori RAP4 for probably a year and a half at this point and I think I'm gonna swap out the stick for something that's a little less loose. Idk if it's from use or being too hard on the stick but now when I let go of it to snap back to neutral it will usually hit the opposite input, which is no good! I cracked open the case and tightened the spring screw and that seems to have helped but I'm still gonna swap it. Any recommendations on good parts?

it fits sanwa and seimetsu sticks and those are your best bet, they both have different feels to them though. i don't know which one is closer to the hayabusa stick that the rap4 uses but i think that its trying to be basically the standard sanwa jlf https://www.focusattack.com/sanwa-jlf-tp-8yt-joystick/

the seimetsu ls-32 is pretty good for anime games if you play those

fadam posted:

Apparently the place near me wasn't going to let people use sticks until everyone told them that was stupid.

this sounds like the old anime con tournaments where only stock controllers/no button binds were allowed and they did wierd stuff like single elimination. fg players used to go to cons just to win anime tournies for free but then too many people started doing that...

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

In Training posted:

Thanks! I do primarily play anime games, any reason why you recommend the seimetsu for that? Seems like the major difference is that the seimetsu is stiffer, which I might prefer.

you dont have the move the stick as far to get it to hit the switches basically. people call this the throw of the stick, so if you see people online saying that its what they're talking about. so stuff like air dashes and direction double taps can be much easier. it's also stiffer yeah. and you can always get aftermarket hard springs that are easy to install if you want even more. there are other seimetsus but i think people only use like the ls-56 for playing shmups or something. the ls-32 is great for anime games and iirc was the standard for guilty gear cabs.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

In Training posted:

This seimetsu stick is loving tight and exactly what I wanted. Thank you for the rec Zand.

yw

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Pomp posted:

zand isn't a thread curiosity, zand is our fate

play good games, reject bad games. every og player I talk to basically agrees that sf5 is hot garbage and the new bloods are a joke. fgs are over and like any dead media the only thing worth consuming are the classics. play COTA

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

fight me in msh

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

when can we purchase and download marvel 2 again.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

This is what happens when Capcom has free reigns to do whatever they want to a game's visuals:

Compare this to the original stage:

Do we really want Capcom to make a stylistic Street Fighter game?

i think hdremix looks like poo poo but i don't get your point

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

That's my point. Modern Capcom may not be able to make a legitimately good looking fighting game. SF2 looked good, but HDR looked like poo poo.

thats because udon did it...

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Baal posted:

I'm not wasting my time proving you say dumb poo poo a lot, dude.

lol if this is a problem everyone in this thread is in serious trouble

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

guts is cool and part of a dynamic and interesting game and helps to differentiate characters in a way that other games do not. it's neat..

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

General Morden posted:

fart
piss
poo poo

me im zand

xvsf, cota, reload

mvc2 is somewhere in there

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

AnonSpore posted:

Reload was a shitpile where half the characters were incomplete and the other half made drat sure you knew it

yea but i love it regardless... i would have listed vanilla AC instead but id rather play against #R slayer than AC pote

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

how come all these people say they like these games but nobody ever tries to matchmake.... someone fight me on fightcade in xmen COTA right now im going in to the room.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

or MSH or xvsf.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

FanaticalMilk posted:

They should've made this the last year of Ultra Street Fighter IV for the CPT. This game needed more than 4 extra months worth of work.

this game should have just been put into the trash and remade. maybe selling less than sfxt will convince them to try making a good game instead of a baby game next time

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

inthesto posted:

IIRC throw range in Vampire Savior is incredibly short

short range one button throws are ok in fast offense heavy games imo

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Sade posted:

Most likely it means they will make no games, other than monster hunter.

good. maybe people will play good fgs instead after that

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

anothergod posted:

Is anyone here going to check out Combo Breaker next weekend? This is the first time I'm going to a big video game tournament, and I'm kinda excited and unsure of what to expect. I'm not competing, but we applied to show our game at their indie cade, so I'll be there aaalll weekend. Any tips/tricks/etc to have fun and/or just be **cool** would be appreciated.

whats your indie game? is it a fighting game?

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

anothergod posted:

Yes. It's Zelda x Street Fighter. We're showing off the multiplayer version. Right now there's 1 arena, but we're hoping to have another 2 by Memorial Day Weekend.

https://interdimensional.itch.io/super-combat-jr-ii

That's the itch.io page. There's a trailer and some gameplay vids. Check it out. We're in it for the long haul, so check it out.

which part is street fighter? is there an interaction with blocks/attacks/throws and movement across an asymmetrical cast that creates a dynamic game experience centered around the concept of controlling space on a 2d playfield?

edit: im really curious because i cant tell whats happening in here so i need some context

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Dias posted:

i think that was a thing called a joke, zand

idk anything about funny poo poo or humour

«27 »