Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Lemon-Lime posted:

I sure hope the gear that straight up modifies the mechanics in Injustice 2 is disabled for multiplayer.

Of course that will be turned off with an option in player matches, ranked will be all items all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Big Scary Owl posted:

Wish 3D fighting games had a feature where you could bookmark characters' moves in something like a favorite list. That and the ability to save/bookmark your own combos and juggles. I think it would be a pretty cool feature to have, especially for Tekken.

pretty sure Dead or Alive has had this for a few games now. Soul Calibur has also had a move list that had a section that was pretty much "These are your best/most important poo poo, memorize these first".

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

FoxStrats posted:

Nintendo has been on a downward spiral since about late 2007. They realize that appending onto once-original-and-fresh franchises with trivially different installments isn't working, so they're attempting to woo their 90's fans with retro poo poo like rear end-backwards fight-sticks, if I can even call them that.

Nintendo was once great, but they refused - and still refuse - to compete in the arms race that other studios are waging on them, so they're losing a massive amount of fans; by assuming that their legacy would carry them, they've effectively granted the marketing department precedence to save some of the patrons Nintendo has left.

If that doesn't convince you, no other studio would come up with something this awkward and un-usable besides a titan on its last legs trying to come up with something new like they used to back in the 90s/early 2000s.

I normally don't buy into the fad of endlessly quoting posts, but holy poo poo.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

KoF 99 had the best soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU8oVZpWk-8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PddekUUb00g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygl2U-hnrbQ

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

DoA has had some awesome sounds too.

I don't even play the character but helena's doa 2 theme always gets me pumped.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdNaHxTUx6Y

Ryu's Alt theme from 5 is his dynasty warriors theme but it is still godlike.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jaIUlz-wNU

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Instant kills were always a go to against less experienced sol and aba players since they suffer a short stun period after their respective super modes end. Basically a guaranteed win off a well timed knockdown/burst/dead angle. Though any sol player worth a drat won't get caught with dragon install and aba players should know better than to let their meter drain all the way at all.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

AnonSpore posted:

In the older ggs ik activation times and startup/hitboxes were way less uniform than they are now so hardly any characters could realistically go for an ik even on an Aba with no burst who was out of blood

loving lol at anyone who ever got caught by Chipp's IK

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

As of the last few updates of DOA even the male characters clothing explodes now. It is now an equal opportunity fanservice game.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Zand posted:

aren't there bizarre changes even if you pick ACism?

A-Groove has air activation for CC mode
P-Groove has the ability to cancel specials into supers
S-Groove has a slightly faster charge rate
Certain lower ranked characters got damage buffs
Certain high ranked characters got damage nerfs
No roll canceling

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Saoshyant posted:

Wait, does that mean it's the superior version of CvS2?? This is the first I've heard of this. I thought everyone had dismissed the Gamecube port.

the presence of roll canceling makes it almost a completely different game, though I would have to say the xbox was the best version just for being the only non japanese version with online play.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Reiley posted:

It was the only way I could get my fightstick to work with joy2key assigned to the correct keyboard keys, GC-ism seemed like it was trying to read a gamecube controller specifically but AC-ism made the stick work perfectly. I don't know much more of a difference between the two beyond that.

GC/EO ism is pretty much impossible to play properly outside of spamming certain specials due to how your specials/supers are all tied to right analog movements and normals are all tied to how hard you press the triggers. Also you have a really small guard crush meter.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Endorph posted:

10: alpha 2
9: kof '98
8: guilty gear xx
7: sonic the fighters
6: capcom vs snk 2

that's all i got

I am extremely upset that Jojo is not on that list.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

I have played a lot of bad fighting games in my time, but nothing has yet to beat Phantom Breaker in it's pure distilled badness.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

mycot posted:

How come nobody ever brings up Chaos Code.

Chaos Code has redeeming features like Chef Bravo, a crazy robot with Getter Beams and Tomahawks, and Bodypillow Ryu.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

if there were a multiplayer FE where each player controlled one character and battles were self-contained rounds rather than being part of a story mode, I would totally consider it a fighting game. it would be, like Smash, in a weird subgenre that it would likely have all to itself, but it would still be a fighting game.

chivalry: medieval warfare was actually the oddball example I was going to use, but you kinda beat me to it with your Brutal Own

ehh, close enough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P3xFa8NfUQ

edit: said game also has virgil sword loops and zero lightning loops.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

OMK is cool and fun, because it has a dedicated "Objection" button.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Reiley's posts are better than the majority of people in this thread, myself included.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Reiley posted:

There has been some confusion as to how the Defense aspect of Smash works, so today I think I will post a bit about that, to help someone who might find themselves watching a tournament better understand what's going on in a match.

As everyone knows the shield in Smash is direction-agnostic, there's no high/low and there's no front/back way around it, when you hold Shield a bubble pops up and you're protected from all sides. To balance this, a shield is both a resource and a commitment, leaving you vulnerable to grabs or shield damage if someone conditions you to shield at the wrong moment. Shields aren't indefinite, they have health which is visually indicated by the size of the shield sphere around you, slowly shrinking the longer you hold shield for. When a shield is hit it takes damage and gets even smaller, and if a shield reaches its minimum threshold it pops, putting a character in a Stun state familiar to any Street Fighter player. Some moves do more or less shield damage than others- Little Mac has a two-hit combo that can break shields guaranteed, for example. When the shield gets smaller it doesn't cover the whole character, and "shield pokes" can happen, where an attack hits a shielding character in a part of their hurtbox that isn't protected and causes them to take damage as normal. Attacking a shield also causes shieldstun, which forces the character to stay locked in their shield for a set amount of time- moves with the Electric property cause 150% shieldstun and hitstun duration, making stronger electric attacks fairly safe (magic attacks often have the electric property to them, as well as Ness and Lucas's PSI attacks).

Activating the shield is a commitment, as mentioned above. When you tap the Shield button you're locked into shielding for a minimum 11 frames, and when you let go of shield you have 7 frames of recovery where you're vulnerable before you can act. The first 3 frames of a shield are called a "powershield" and they work like a Just Defense feature in other fighters, where if you tap shield just as an attack hits you suffer no shieldstun and no shield-drop recovery frames, so you can powershield an attack and counter immediately. The 7 frames of shield drop recovery are important because they limit what a character's out-of-shield options are against an attacker, since holding shield and pressing attack will give you a Grab, not a normal, which is itself a pretty good OoS option. Since shields are jump-cancelable you can replace your character's shield-drop recovery frames with your character's pre-jump jumpsquat frames, which can vary between 4 and 7 frames depending on who you play- and add those to the startup frames of your aerials to determine what is the best punish against a shielded attack. You also can't change direction while you're locked in your shield or when you jump from the ground, so a crossup by an attacker can make them safer from any front-facing attacks for a minimum of seven frames.

There are times when a shield cannot be activated. The initial startup of a character's dash can be jump-cancelled but you cannot shield during these frames, meaning if you dash in from too close you can't immediately stop an attack. If you press shield too early when jumping in you'll airdodge into the ground and incur what is known as "landing lag", or recovery frames for hitting the ground while a move is still active. You can buffer holding the shield button inside another move, however, so if you land on the ground in a neutral state while holding shield you will begin shielding on the first possible frame. This makes jump-ins risky, since committing to any action in the air too close to the ground will make you vulnerable when you land, and if your jump-in aerial hits a shield in the wrong window you're open to a big punish. Some move have Autocancel frames, meaning if you land during these specific windows of a move's animation you will cancel immediately to neutral, so timing your attacks can avoid landing lag- this is relevant to shield pressure but is a bigger topic for another day.

Shields aren't the only defensive option you have. There is a feature called "intangibility" which means a hurtbox on a character can't be interacted with by any hitbox, some characters have intangibility on some of their limbs during some of their attacks (this is especially true of heavyweights like Bowser, whose long arms can't be grabbed or hit mid-attack). Spotdodging, airdodging, forward and back rolls grant a character brief intangibility at the cost of a small amount of startup and a bit of recovery frames. If you read a grab and spotdodge the grab will whiff and you'll be in position to counterattack, or you can roll forward through an attack or airdodge out of a gap in a combo. Conversely, a spotdodge will not outlast the active frames on a multi-hit attack, a roll can be punished since only the first half of its total frames are intangible and an airdodge can be baited and read to land a kill off of. Rolls and dodges are very powerful tools but they can be exploited if you use them carelessly.

That's the basics of how defense works in Smash 4. Have a nice week, everyone.

please don't ever stop.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Endorph posted:

if there's a mvc4, darth vader should be in it

Marvel vs Namco

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Saoshyant posted:

Oh for christ's sake. Why would they do that?

KoF14, now with cowboy alt costume dlc for all male characters.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Countblanc posted:

the best part of Rufus is how all of his win quotes are like 5 lines long rambling about his girlfriend

bedmanwinquotes.flv

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Flinger posted:

Tekken did the fat blonde martial arts american better

replace all the street fighters with tekkens.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Holding out for tekken 7 switch edition, with exclusive ball mode.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Brosnan posted:

FWIW Tekken has hella pad warriors since it was a classic Playstation exclusive for so long. T5 arcade cabs actually had PS2 controller ports so you could bring your Dual Shock from home.

At the arcade I used to work at we had this one guy who would bring a ps2 fight stick and a fold up beach chair so he could chill while kicking rear end.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Digging up DLC chat again just to mention that one of those poverty Touhou fighters (Genso Rondo) actually releases all their DLC characters for free use in Training and vs modes, if you really like the character you can buy their stage, BGM, and story mode for like $3.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

English Axl is best Axl.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Sounds like you need to play the king of anime-based fighting games on the PSX with flight modes - Gundam Battle Assault 2

Yo GBA2 was some pretty awesome stuff. Though our group did need to make a gentleman's agreement not to use any of the top row boss characters. It had a bunch of cool sub systems in it like the I-field/dodge mechanics(sidestepping attacks vs super armoring though them), Beam properties(all beams count as projectiles even if it's part of a melee attack), and funnels.(delayable stored fireballs that can be used any time even if you are mid attack animation or even in knockdown).

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

NRS are the only devs I know that have successfully made a fighting game with stiffer movement controls than tekken. Tekken is still good though, I would just rather movement be smoother like soul calibur/virtua fighter.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Smoking Crow posted:

My heart says Sagat, my brain says Idolm@ster

Harada needs to represent his idol waifu Iori

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

all character select music should be the real bout fatal fury theme.

also the ougon character select theme cause if my opponent is taking too long I start singing along.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

giogadi posted:

Is slayer that much weaker than in previous games, so much so that he feels like a different character? Because even if he's bottom tier in xrd a good slayer still makes me want to quit playing fighting games

Slayer no longer kills you meterless with a single counterhit, this apparently makes him a bad character.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

poe meater posted:

Are they gonna announce any more characters for Tekken

There are apparently 2 more dlc guest characters from other series that they have yet to announce.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Brosnan posted:

Is that where you pick Mega Man and press fierce a lot?

no, it's when you pick cable and press fierce a lot.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

SeANMcBAY posted:

I'll only forgive that roster if the "Monster Hunter" is one of those cool cat dudes.

Kirin armor set lady, calling it now.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

attackmole posted:

Most normal people think comics are dumb, but the unfortunate truth is that they're far dumber than even that.

Marvel is anime

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

With any luck Arcana Heart will steal the box gem idea and all will be right in the world.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Endorph posted:

that will also be by arcsys

Isn't that just BlazBlue? Pretty sure they got RWBY inspired colors in the game already.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Endorph posted:

blazblue released in 2009
the first episode of rwby was released in 2013

just a joke about how similar the two series settings are.
Also this

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

The name Icon just reminds me of the death of Def Jam fighting games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Commissar Ken posted:

I'm late to this but the correct answer is KOF98...

...but I love KOF99 more.

99 has the best soundtrack, roster, & stages.

it's just too bad it plays like rear end.