Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
Daigo is coming to OHN14.

:hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
I really need to start playing KI again. Those sets were rad.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
Killer Instinct Owns

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

teagone posted:

Also, maybe the Switch couldn't run SF4 or they couldn't port it.
The loving 3ds can run it

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Real hurthling! posted:

Mashing unbound buttons on wakeup is my only power move
Tokido did this against me and not gonna lie I wasn't even mad when he hit walk up throw on his own wakeup

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
FEXL is pretty loving fun, you guys

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's Puyo Puyo Tetris, same as it shall always be

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
Samsho loving owns hard

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

HerniaFlange posted:

I'd have to think he'd be on the no-fly list because he can shoot fire from his hands.
not in sf5 he can't

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Sarchasm posted:

I guess SF3 / SF5 Ryu is technically lightning? Maybe he could sit in the emergency row and tell everyone he's the defibrillator.
In SF3 and SF5 his fireball is so bad it's technically classified as a soft toy

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

sharrrk posted:

i'm stuck with a bad habit of always trying to take my turn or even steal turns anytime i get the opportunity. anybody have any tips on trying to break that habit? i primarily play tekken and whenever i try to just play defensive, the moment my opponent starts really pressuring me i get flustered and want to start mashing down jab to get them to stop, and its not usually until the match is over that i can remind myself to not do that literally every single time.
Play Samsho, because you're -95 on everything because you missed and you're now going to eat a 75% punish, have a nice day

Is Samsho a Saturday game at Evo btw? If so I guess I'll just skip Sunday finals entirely.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

The Kins posted:

MK's probably on Sunday because they want to show some DLC trailer.
Boon's been teasing basically all of the DLC characters so I wouldn't be surprised if they all hit at EVO.

And I guess they need to give SF5 some time to show off Super SF5 or just piss on the ashes and announce SF6 already.

Tekken's the only one I can't really work out what The Thing will be, but maybe the fact that it's last means that they won't have anything?

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

was sfvt or mvci worse
SFxT post-patch is unironically really good and I wish they'd port it to current-gen tbh

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Shinji2015 posted:

Oh, no doubt. I've never been an Infi fan (even before him being an abusive PoS came out), but he's pretty good.

His Genjuro's style comes off as high risk, high reward. Several players had his number for a second, but he was able to turn it around.
Kazunoko made a lot of uncharacteristic mistakes. Off the top of my head:

- He went for WFT off close 5B a lot but he'd often hit it too early meaning the WFT would whiff (since Genjuro was airborne)
- He would almost NEVER guard Genjuro's sword after disarms and kept jumping out. Not even sure what he was trying to achieve by doing it but more often than not Infiltration would just 2P AA and pick up where he left off
- He tried to hit air to air Cs all set and almost never hit with it. Most of the time Infiltration would just DP him or duck under. Then he'd panic and try to run in throw but would misjudge the distance

The last one was actually what cost him the final round. He was super solid all through top 8 but just got weirdly sloppy in the last.

I do think Infil got a little looser come top 8 though since Reynald mopped him up in pools afaik

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Gutcruncher posted:

The samsho UI just keeps getting shittier. DLC characters are in their own tab that must be flipped to with R1/L1. This is a character select screen that opts to give each player their own character select screen rather than having them share, meaning there COULD have been space if they felt like it.

The game is bomb and I know the character select isn’t some game breaker but would it kill them to have someone who has any idea what they’re doing on UX design?
That is super lovely.

On the other hand it'll deter people from picking Rimururu which IMO is a net positive.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I skipped SFV entirely. Why do people hate it?
super reductive and i'm sure someone who actually likes sf5 will rebut this but:

- basically every relevant character is focused on grappling and/or rushdown, with basically no love for people who enjoy playing zoners or footsies characters
- the only footsies tool that matters in sf5 is "the shimmy"
- proximity normals are gone which means less tools overall
- every character that matters has a button that links on hit or leaves you +2 on block, so you just keep doing that button into a combo, or until you're out of range
- those buttons are invariably super stubby so it leads to a bunch of really ugly infighting
- your only real reward for a knockdown is a throw/hit mixup and most people just elect to take the throw, which is awful to watch
- button priority + crush counters means that hail mary heavy normals at range work more than they should
- no invincible reversals without meter since s2
- jab aa was a thing for most characters for way too long, and given how good close pressure is (and how relatively bad knockdowns are) jab aa into a cross under 50-50 was the best mixup in sf5 for like half its lifespan
- combo routes are extremely linear and the flashier stuff from 3S/4 is pretty much gone
- outside of the trash tier, characters have been routinely nerfed with every revision since beta
- it's stressful to play for all the wrong reasons and atrocious to watch with basically no hype moments
- ken's face

i will never understand how a guilty gear player could be the battle director of literally the most bland fighting game i've ever played but here we are i guess!

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

exquisite tea posted:

Maybe they should make a character who covers themselves in honey, and they’re all like “haha I’m sooo sticky what are you gonna do about it” you know as like a joke haha.
I'm not enjoying this reimagining of Hakan

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
Beating a dead horse somewhat but still relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G451d4cXHM0

Momochi ragged on the lack of proximity normals and how the SF5 neutral game sucks pretty much right after this thread started talking about it.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Broken Loose posted:

I'll die on this hill. What are the upsides of proximity normals that offsets not having complete control over which button you get? Assume that my opponent is just as good at spacing as I am.
The way normals work in SF5 means that at any given range you only have 1-2 usable normals at any given time. I assume that's intentional because apparently SF5 players are big babies that can't count past 5, but boooooooy does it lead to a boring neutral game.

Up close? Use the +5 on hit +2 on block attack (probably stMP) since it links to itself and creates baby's first frametrap. At range? Throw the quick poke for harassment (stMK) or the crush counter bait (stHP/HK) since priority will likely crush any whiff punish attempt that isn't also a heavy. Rinse and repeat for basically every character.

Bonchan got bodied by three moves in total in the first round of Evo grand finals, which is just insane.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
Samsho 1.11 patch notes: https://www.snk-corp.co.jp/us/games/samuraishodown/news/ss_patch_1.11_eng.pdf

Basically unless you're a Yoshitora player or someone who needed Genjuro to be busted to care about the game you should be really happy. System changes and most character changes are A++ IMO.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
Uhhhhhh so the Power Rangers game is actually pretty cool and good?

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
Play Samsho

https://twitter.com/krispykaiser/status/1230111446140252161

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
It's legitimately the easiest one to get good at. Low execution barriers for most characters, footsies heavy, and not that many matchups to learn. Some characters like Basara or Hanzo are more technical, but they're the minority.

I only get to play once or twice a week or so and I'm more than good enough to place every local.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Endorph posted:

The thing is in the clip you can actually hear him pause in the windup. If it was super rapidfire bullshitting I could get it but you can practically hear him realizing its a bad idea right there lol.

That said if he apologizes and donates to good causes I don't think he should be unpersoned or anything
Everyone talks big about Skullgirls having rollback but someone probably should have patched out Mike Z's delay-based netcode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
So Granblue's pretty fun!