Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
If you're going to try the free titty fighter, one of the DLC fighters is free until the 30th. I think it's like the Skullgirls stuff where if you get it while it's free you keep it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

fadam posted:

My dad always said a lovely game is still more fun than a game that doesn't exist.
Is a lovely dad better than a dad that doesn't exist?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

NRS fixed the gross faces on supergirl and wonderwoman in injustice 2's latest demonstration build lol

fadam posted:

Still looks pretty fugly imo, but that might just be the Unreal engine.
It's NRS. They made improvements to Cassie's face in MKX after her reveal as well. NRS just kinda can't ladyface properly without taking a mulligan or two.

punk rebel ecks posted:

They should go back to doing pre-rendered sprites.
They tried a good few years ago, with digitized actors like the old days.

https://twitter.com/noobde/status/662840629832122369

There were... issues, and they went back to the old art and the project became the pretty bad Arcade Kollection or whatever it was.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

What happened to Kinu Nishimura?

Captain Baal posted:

She did promo art from MVC3 and was never seen again

anime was right posted:

well they need someone to make instruction manuals after neo_g left...
She left Capcom at some point (I don't know when exactly) and went freelance. She most recently worked on Code of Princess and Culdcept Revolt.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

whats fightcade teasing? new systems?
An offline tournament being held in Spain in late May.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Just wait until Ultra Street Fighter II arrives on the Switch and propels portable fighting games into the public consciousness
Didn't the 3DS port of vanilla SF4 sell really, really well?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

mycot posted:

It was like one of the only games for the system for half a year.
I found sales numbers as of December 2016:

Vanilla SF4: 3.4 million
SSF4: 1.9 million
SFXT: 1.8 million
SFV: 1.5 million
SF4 3DS: 1.2 million
SSF4AE: 1.1 million
USF4: 1 million

Apparently SF4 3DS sold 100,000 copies between June and September 2014, which is kind of bizarre considering it was several years old and way outdated by that point.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

dhamster posted:

how's the netcode on the Steam marvel?
From what I'm hearing it's pretty much the same as the old versions.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Who did the Marvel port? QLOC?
It's not mentioned on their website, so probably not.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
If you didn't care enough to make a Japanese eShop account, the Arcade Archives versions of KOF98, Waku Waku 7 and World Heroes Perfect are now on the US Switch eShop for eight bucks each.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

nickmeister posted:

I keep hearing about the newest Tekken (subtitle). Is it out on consoles? Will it ever come? Any word on when? Thanks!
June 2nd worldwide on consoles and Steam.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Does anyone here use a PS4 stick on their PC? I use Jays2Kings' DS4Windows to use a DS4 and rebind buttons for specific games, and if I get a stick I'd like to use the same configs to avoid rebinding my buttons every time I swap between pad and stick.

(This is mostly for like, MAME and poo poo, but I figured you guys would know about this kind of stuff...)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
It's been interesting to see opinion change on KI over time. Who would have thought that all it would take was SFV SFV-ing all over the place?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Harada removed Roger Jr. from western Tekken 7 because of that one Youtube video of that guy and the dog and MvCI lets you "land combos in the high 20 hits range with just two buttons". Chaos reigns.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

FYI TeamSpooky has a stream up of a Balls 3D tournament at ComboBreaker
They had Dong Dong Never Die on a little earlier!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Tekken 7 has apparently had the best launch of any fighting game on Steam, reaching a peak of 18,329 simultaneous players. For reference, SFV peaked at 13,807, and MKX at 13,649.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dias posted:

This is probably 10 months away from launch and it looks more finished than a game supposed to come out in 3.
It's by the same team as Xrd, isn't it? Those guys have heaps of experience working with their customized Unreal and crazy animation style from doing one and a bit games with it, so things have probably gone pretty smoothly. MvCI is the same core engine (Unreal 4) as SFV, but I'm not sure if there's any staff crossover between the two. Considering the sheer amount of triage SFV's needed post-release, I'd be surprised.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Zand posted:

the type of bad that capcom has been lately seems deliberate. maybe someone from a rival game company is deep undercover in capcom hq sabotaging their fgs
"They'll never think to look for me in the manual-writing division!"

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
KOF14 is now on Steam. 20% off, DLC is available at launch.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/KillerInstinct/status/876205714070319104

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Official trailer for That One Game Arikia Is Doing, with info on platforms and two new characters, including an old friend...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gulVi0NDVnU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I remember reading a magazine article decades ago talking about how Quake was originally supposed to be a first-person fighting game so that sounds right
From 1990:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I feel like the Event Mode or whatever they called it in Mortal Kombat 9 did some interesting and fun stuff about teaching the player mechanics. The ones that stick out in my memory are missions that strip away all player interaction except one or two moves, effectively making the player practice those move inputs to complete some task or other (usually fending off zombies). I think there were also ones where you had to just keep away from an AI player and not get hit for 10 seconds or so.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dracula Factory posted:

There's a new NES controller-looking fightstick if you wanna get serious on switch for some reason.
Here's the deets. Supports Switch, PC (with both DirectInput and XInput modes), Mac and smartphones/tablets (as well as NES and SNES with some additional dongles), built for modding so that Sanwa parts can be swapped in without soldering or whatever, $80.

It has a wireless bluetooth mode as well as a USB one, so input lag's gonna be a big question until folks can get their hands on it...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The Dave posted:

They probably are going to have the whole cast by release. I hope the game is good and sells a shitload to send a message to Capcom but it'll probably be pretty niche.
Arika apparently fully expect to lose money on EX, but they're still going ahead because they really want to make a fighting game again. Hopefully they end up defying their own expectations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Most of them aren't very memorable
ahem

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
It seems to just be showing the game's price, since they're bundled in, you can't buy them seperately from the game, and Capcom are either bad at Steam or trying to artificially inflate the "YOU SAVE $### (##%)" thing at the bottom of the bundle page.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
KI is now on Steam. It's $40 and includes all three seasons.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

When are they finally going to start having Mario Party tournaments? FGC is so exclusionary to different kinds of fighting games, geez.
They'll have to elbow the Yoshi's Cookie community out of the way first.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
It also has a release date: January 26th.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
A PC port of Injustice 2 has been announced. It's being done by QLOC, so it'll likely be a lot better than the MKX one. No release date yet, but an open beta will start on Steam on the 25th (TOMORROW) so we can find out about the port quality for ourselves.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/FightCade/status/927543537591312384

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

mango sentinel posted:

They replaced Roshi's VA after he died
I don't think it's a common thing, though. I know they're still recycling Igor's Persona 3 & 4 dialogue and leaving any "new" dialogue silent and undubbed in the JP versions.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ryoga posted:

I want to say it was some version of Mortal Kombat 3 where the title screen teased Smoke as a character before being unlocked eventually, followed by Ultimate 3 having other characters like Sub Zero, Mileena, and Ermac.
These were unlocked via "Ultimate Kombat Kodes" entered on a special player-accessible screen, with the codes leaked out over time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm36ywRq_fI

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Gutter Owl posted:

Every fighting game on steam makes me sad for buying a mac. Backed the wrong horse. :negative:
Macs can dual-boot into Windows if you can get a hold of a spare license. It's not as convenient as a native port, and your hardware won't be as good as a dedicated gaming PC (especially if it's a laptop) but you should be able to run a decent amount of this stuff.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Reiley posted:

What a life to live, to be both Gomez Addams and a man who posed for videogame sprites.
I'm pretty sure I remember hearing that Bison's sprites were of Raul's stunt double since, you know, the whole cancer thing.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Bushmaori posted:

Can someone explain to me why UE4 is getting so popular for fighting games? It would make sense that it would be cheaper than developing a new engine from scratch, but what other advantages does it bring?
Aside from being well-proven as everyone else has said, Epic has a dedicated documentation and support office in Japan, so there's no timezone or language barriers.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Reiley posted:

I thought Xrd was Unreal 3, which is why it loads so fast compared to all the UE4 games. Also: Tifa should be in Tekken.
Xrd was based on Unreal 3, yes, since it was cheaper at the time (UE4 had just launched), supported all the platforms they were targeting, and was easy for both programmers and artists to work with.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

raocow posted:

wait it's 'arika' ? I've been reading it akira all this time, oh nooo
The company is Arika, because it's the founder Akira's name backwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Has there ever been a decent attempt at making a two "lane" fighting game? In the same way some 2D brawlers used to work but in a fighting game.
I'm just curious if that's something that could ever work in a good fighting game.
The earlier Fatal Fury games had a "plane" system where you could step in or out of the background (which sometimes had hazards that you could knock your foes into). In FF3 they changed this to the three-plane "Oversway System", and in Garou they removed it entirely.