Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Trykt posted:

Killer Instinct is a pretty good game with a super great pc port that's one of the best games at making itself transparent (good tutorial, frame data and hitbox viewer baked in, etc.) out right now. It also has the gold standard in fighting game netcode in my opinion and the pc version supports crossplay with xbone, meaning it comes with a decent sized community already going strong. Just saying, y'all should play it!

How good a pc does it require?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

So here's another KOFXIV leak. Note that this is COMPLETELY unconfirmed and not necessarily from the same leaker as the first roster leak.

The King of Fighters XIV
Downloadable content
Japan (Shingo)
Art of Fighting (Takuma)
Fatal Fury (Blue Mary)
South America (MMA fighter of Brazil)
Official invitation (shapeshifter Fighter (Ash, Yashiro and Krizalid))
Another one of the world's (Lee)
K '(Whip)
Ikari (Heidern)
Yagami (Eiji)
Mexico (Vanessa)
Kim (Jhun)
South of town (Yamazaki)
Psycho Soldier (Bao)
Women Fighters (Kazumi)
Villain (Raiden)
China (Jin Chonrei)

"Lee is Mui Mui Friend from Dragon Gal Pachinko

Shipshifter Fighter have 3 transformations, representing Orochi (Yashiro), Nests (Krizalid) and "from the Past" (Ash)"

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Lupe apparently just sat on a casual station in training mode and wouldn't play anyone when someone came up to ask him to play.

Combo Breaker was a great major, except for sf5 finals being pretty boring. I got 5th in UNIEL and had my passion for the game reignited. I'm gonna grind MELTY and xrd this summer and go to ceotaku in the fall.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

god i love uniel. also, i've been playing melty on steam. if anyone wants to play, we should, cause melty is the best.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

I have heard the ps3 version has a lot of slowdown compared to the ps4 version.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

I think Raven is pretty easy too. Maybe his neutral is a little more complicated but his combos are easy and his moves are rather straightforward.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Actually all fighting games are bad

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Electromax posted:

I remember when I first started following Evo in like 2002 (and ordering DVDs through the mail to watch weeks later :negative:) there was concern at tournaments about programmable button macros and even whether to let people bind stuff like PPP/KKK to its own button. At least the latter seems more commonly accepted now.

That's because it became a common feature of the home version of games. Hard to ban something when the publisher encourages it.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

I'll beat everyone in this thread in Uniel.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

All the ABA talk reminded me how sad I am that she'll never be in xrd :melter:

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Vote 4 sam sho 5 spesh

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

I play arrow girl

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Garnavis posted:

Does anyone know why every fighting game cabinet I encounter in the wild has circle gates? I never got to play real machines back when they were new, so I don't know: are all of these circle gates replacements or is that how they originally were?

(talking specifically about Capcom games and Neo Geo units)

circle gates are the american style

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

I got it. Sp is fantastic. Yet to have a good mp match though

Apparently, the netcode for regular MP modes is bugged, but in Party Vs mode, it is incredibly smooth. Time will tell i guess.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

This thread is a dark pit

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

I can recommend the brooks universal pcb - they release firmware updates usually in under 24 hours, it has worked great for me

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Zand posted:

when people compare games to sfiv they are usually comparing to ultra, and when people compare games to marvel 3 they are comparing it to umvc3, and for sf2, ST. why default to comparing to the worst version?

no way is ultra the worst version of sfiv or ST the worst version of sf2. maybe not the best, but not the worst.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

dhamster posted:

That rock ballad at the end of =sign= arcade mode is a guilty pleasure of mine

LILLY! YOUVE NOT CHANGED A BEET

burger time fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 24, 2016

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Anyone going to CEOtaku this weekend? I entered KOF, UNIEL, Xrd, Melty, and Nitroplus. PM me if you want to play casuals in any of those games (I'm pretty focused on the first two though).

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Serenade posted:

Is this being streamed? Always want more of that uniel to watch

It will be! At least top 8. Keep an eye out on ehubs and shoryuken for schedule

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Sirlin is a much better board/card game designer than a fighting game designer. But, and this is HEINOUS, his games costs exorbitant amounts of money and are consistently made outdated when he releases a new "patched" version 1-2 years later.

Yomi v1 cost $100 and is now obsolete. The same thing happened with Puzzle Strike... TWICE.

There are sometimes upgrade packs available, but they don't update EVERYTHING (The puzzle strike one doesn't contain rules changes or adjustments to the cost of some chips). So, you end up with many different versions of the same game, and having to buy the whole, overpriced game again just to have the newest, better, fixed version.

Patching might be ok in video games, but in board games, it's a loving scam.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Yomi is a fun game but it really doesn't feel like a fighting game to me, and I think BattleCON actually gets a lot closer. I think this is because of how each game creates uncertainty. To me, a lot of the uncertainty in Yomi isn't "Are they going to attack, throw, or block/dodge?" it's "What do they have in their hand?" For the same reason that "random mashing" (playing your cards randomly) can't be distinguished from high-level play, to get an advantage in the RPS game in Yomi, you need to start understanding what options your opponent has available to them - what's in their hand.

In a fighting game, at a higher level, there's very little uncertainty about what options an opponent has available to them. There can be some uncertainty about an opponents ability to execute, but a knowledgable player who knows the characters should be able to form a complete list of options which an opponent could use. BattleCON works this way as well - You know every card in the opponents hand, you know what they're capable of, etc.

The decision making of BattleCON feels more like "What is my opponent going to do, how can I avoid it / armor it / hit them first?" Rather than "Does my opponent have his Jack in hand? He's played two... and he played throw last turn, so maybe he thinks I think he has it..." I think that decision making is fun, but to me, it's closer to the decision-making of Magic: the Gathering or Poker, games where you're trying to determine what cards an opponent has in hand based on their play.

This isn't arguing BattleCON is more fun than Yomi, or better than Yomi - just that the process of decision-making in the game feels much closer to a fighting game in BattleCON than in Yomi.

e: This is probably why my favorite Yomi character is Persephone - I feel like it's a game about information and hand management/control.

e2: Maybe another way of putting it is that BattleCON feels like there's actually neutral?

burger time fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 13, 2016

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

anime was right posted:

if those two are real we're missing:
testament
zappa
bridget
aba

and we have all the mainline xx characters that aren't clones

E: I'm dumb.

But HOS and roboky aren't clones. Way more distinct.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

We spent a lot of car rides to tournaments playing Puyo Puyo Tetris matches on vita adhoc.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Under Night In-Birth Exe Late Ex Plus Whatever the Hell That Game is Called is on sale on Steam right now. Does anyone know if this mofo's worth 20 bucks?

its really good, great mechanics, probably my fave fg. but it has little single player outside of arcade and training, and its dying. There's still a decent tournament scene for a poverty anime game, but if the new version doesn't come out, it's gonna keep shrinking.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

NuclearPotato posted:

It's fairly different, from what I understand of UNIEL (full disclamer: haven't played UNIEL yet, have spent some time in MB). Melty tends to have more of a focus on air footsies in general compared to UNIEL, where the only character to have full control of air movement ala Melty, is in fact the girl who came directly from Melty.

This is right except that eltnum doesn't have different air movement from any other character.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Anyone going to NEC this weekend? Let me know if you wanna play some UNIEL or KOF.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

my friend is in your guilty gear pool and hes real afraid.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Big e tournaments are terribly run but NEC is a blast. Its a shame they cancelled Gears this year, nothing like getting drunk and watching the gears players scream at each other at the top of their lungs.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

No old characters apparently.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

Wish i had one.

Is the new version of it supposed to come out eventually?

hahahahahahahahaha

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

skit herre posted:

I ordered the above fight stick mini just because it is prime available, if it sucks I'll just send it back and get the fighting commander from japan.

Apart from being tiny, what will be the differences to a quality fight stick to look out for. sorry for my dumb questions.

bad buttons, bad lever, hth.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Chaos Code is fun but pretty bad. make sure you pick top tier.

Also, there's this guy Tenryo who runs the discord server for it who's completely nuts.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

I have the Sanwa mx buttons from paradise arcade shop and I love em. I use Cherry mx Green switches.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

I just moved to Los Angeles and I'm looking for people to play fighting games with. I play KOF, GG, and Uniel, but I'll mess around with whatever really. Anyone got leads on FGC meet ups besides WNF, or want to play sometime?

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

In Training posted:

Everybody post your mains

Kazumi, Millia, Makoto, Yuri/Kula/Athena, Karin, Muramasa

Rufus - sf4
Mika - sf5
izanami - BBCF
Merkava - Uniel
Antonov/Sylvie/Maxima/Mai - kof14
Saiki, Hwa, Shen - kofxiii
kazumi - t7
raven - rev2

I like villains. And divekicks/changing air momentum - almost all my characters can do that.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

14 is a good and fun game, but it's weird - it's really easy to get competent at if you're decent at fighting games but if you're kinda bad it's so difficult for some reason. More so than sf games or anime. "I have to learn THREE characters!?"

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

I played dbzf and the unnamed Arika game. Dbzf is really fun but might be super kusoge. Arika game is really weird. It has sfxt style gems. I had a gem that gave me infinite super armor and one that gave me a burst. It was fun but I played Garuda who was kinda blanka-y.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

I think Cells grab move is unblockable. The built in grab (dragon rush) is REALLY weak, it seemed like you could tech it really late. But, there were a lot of unblockable moves. Not sure of all the properties.
Homing dash was very strong. My friend got 2nd in one of the tournaments, mostly abusing homing.

The gems in the Arika game, they had 5 or 6 "decks" you could pick from at character select. Each had 5 Gems in them. But it also said that was just to demonstrate the system, so... I don't think they know yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Yea people were recording matches on phones. I would keep an eye on YouTube for the next couple of days.