Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Yeah it's a misconception that $6000 will unlock everything in MK11. You also need to log in every 8 hours as the store rotates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

because skinnerbox is the thing people want instead of loot crates. Hard to say skinner box with a straight face when people love their in-game achievements and exp bars so much.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

My understanding is the skinner box conditions behavior by rewarding it (ie, rewards for grinding, dailies)

Loot boxes are just p2 get stuff

Randomness being the most addictive reward mechanism I think is not necessarily tied to the structure of a skinner box.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 26, 2019

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

mycot posted:

Almost every video game is a skinnerbox on some fundamental level but it's okay because we're all rats.
exactly

Although a fighting game vs other players in an arcade is probably the least skinner boxy one out there (this genre is not thriving btw)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I am quite bad at it. For some reason I find the timings really weird, the way you often have to chain your combos before you actually hit (is this a yuzuriha problem? it makes aerial combos so difficult for me). I didnt have this issue with Xrd for whatever reason and I was only doing basic BnBs in both games so idk.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Tales of Woe posted:

yuzu and seth are kind of outliers in terms of combo difficulty in unist, most of the cast are way easier.
Yeah... I'd heard that going in but I was green enough to not really know what that meant, I'd thought it had more to do with more narrow routes/lack of dp/dying in the corner than the timings being weird.

I never liked zoning characters but there's no way I'm giving up Yuzu's QCF now. Way too fun.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 2, 2019

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I had a lot of trouble figuring out dash attacks, but you have to hold down forwards while pressing the button. So you'd 6, then 6 again then B while you're holding 6, instead of tapping 6 twice then B. I'm relieved to hear this is a little abnormal because I was confused about it for way too long.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Elephunk posted:

There's a really annoying bug where it only works right in Windows 10 once per boot or wakeup from sleep. If you close the program and relaunch the stick inputs freak out and spam. So you have to sleep mode + wake up every time
That doesnt happen to me fwiw

That does not mean it's not a real problem impacting a lot of people, just wanted to make it clear to anyone who does not own it that they might not have this issue.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

imo, UNCLEAR or UNCLER.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Pick your favorite teen and battle it out in uncler.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

guilty gear reddit should have a discord with character-specific guides/videos pinned.

GG's a great game but a lot of people switched to UNI (even though the games arent all that similar), sadly i do not believe there is another place on these forums that GG discussion is occurring in.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Pomp posted:

Xrd is old enough now that you can just ask questions and someone here has been playing the character for years and will have answers
If there is a resident Answer expert I'll be impressed.

dragon enthusiast posted:

is Xrd even getting another version in the near future
No one knows but all the fake leaks were talking about a new iteration so that's what most people expect (it's also been a while since rev2). GG doesnt seem to actually make money so the timelines are really sketchy which fueled the UNI migration a bit.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Fantasy Strike might be the game for you!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

it's great that uni has the population to support ranked queue but playing against a random player with a random character and random connection strength for 50 seconds at a time probably isnt doing much to make me improve. I was totally put off by how GG was all player lobbies at first but they're probably just correct.

That said people seem to not buy games without it so keep it coming.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 17, 2019

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The context is that their method of implementing it is possibly irritating for that audience as the FG inputs get an advantage.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Seeing training mode and combos as just part of the game (it is the actual single player content of fighting games) instead of busywork was definitely a weird perspective shift for me.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

My understanding is it's not broken. It handles SOCD cleaning differently from others though, for him simultaneous left/right inputs count the second button pressed instead of canceling each other out. Even on a normal hitbox up+down=up. There isnt actually anything busted about daigo's setup beyond being a standard cheatbox.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Casually there are a ton of reasons to prefer using it but tournaments banning it is very reasonable.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

drjuggalo posted:

isnt being able to switch cardinal directions in a single frame what a SOCD even is? Simultaneous Opposite Cardinal Direction or am I way too high? i dont think hitboxes can even do the instant forward backward stuff
SOCD cleaning is when the controller is made to not send left and right inputs simultaneously. SOCD is a meme at this point because it hasn't been an issue for like a decade, games clean those simultaneous inputs on their own. Somewhat dishonest people who don't like hitboxes bring it up because it's hard proof of actual hax, somewhat dishonest people who do like hitboxes bring it up because it's not an actual problem and is a nice distraction from the real problem people have with the device, and totally honest people bring it up because it's come up so much in other hitbox discussions and is a weird term.

Single frame switching is possible with hitbox because you can release one finger the same frame you press with your other finger, and sticks can't do it because they have to move physical distance to go from left to right. Confusing the issue further, Daigo's was setup so that you didn't have to release the first finger at all giving it perfect consistency.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 25, 2019

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I'm surprised they made the super a half circle motion. Double quarter circle is way easier to do.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

if I give the obvious answer of tekken will you say it doesnt count?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Virgil has one of the most beautiful movesets ever in DMC3. Putting a virgil skin on a chunky derpy rear end SF5 character just shows the shortcomings of the game.

If anyone wants to actually play a virgilesque character i would recommend yuzuriha in UNIST.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HerniaFlange posted:

Oh, right. PS4 it is then. Or finally build a decent PC and wait.
Is there a known specific reason for the Switch's bad online? Is it still bad with an Ethernet->USB adapter while it's docked? It really stops the Switch from being the unquestionable go-to for 2D/non-AAA games it should have been, in my opinion.
The switch doesnt come with a controller, is less popular, and you cant play any of the most popular fighting games on it... I think there's more to it than the switch playerbase's allergy to ethernet cables.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

those people are not actually interested in playing samsho

they just want to think of themselves as people who play cool snk games (why? who knows)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Ok, more charitably maybe they don't want to pay the hundreds of games of blood sacrifice that it takes to win even a little at small playerbase games. but eh.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 6, 2019

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Going to the gym, too.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Tbf playing an FG with two joycons sounds miserable as well.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

schoolgirls

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Imo the cruelest part was nobody buying Rev2.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

darealkooky posted:

going through your points in order...

1: you look up whatever is the optimal build order for the "type" of hero you're using (carry, jungler, ect ect) and do it, making slight adjustments for what stat your hero favors. 2/3: are determined by what hero you play because very very few heroes in modern mobas are able to do more than one role well and the players are so toxic you'll get shouted down for experimenting anyway 4: is largely determined by what kind of hero you're using and generally involves following your flowchart for 30 something minutes and if you or anyone on your team makes a mistake before then (someone gets killed because they pushed too close to a tower, for example) then the inertia is such that you've often lost the game right there unless the other side makes an equal or greater mistake. also mobas have generally bled out a lot of the more subtle mechanics from dota/wc3 over the years like denying or miss chance for shooting up a hill leaving them not a lot more to fall back on besides "don't get caught with your pants down"

pro moba matches are just everyone doing their task for a while and then when everyone is properly equipped and farmed there's a game of cat and mouse and then whoever messes up first causes a snowball effect and its over
I'll grant you that this is an accurate description of Heroes of the Storm, specifically, but probably not other ones.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I'm really pessimistic on it (that was the first GG footage ever I've not enjoyed watching). Xrd sold really bad tho so I'm not mad about it or anything.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

that menacing walter white gif!!!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Xrd's not really more complicated than UNIST to get into (and imo GRD is more intimidating than Xrd's systems)... Xrd actually was supposed to be the more newcomer friendly version of GG, people just didn't seem to take to it for whatever reason.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 6, 2019

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

They made the good fighting game and it didnt make money and they made the mediocre character pass fighting game and it made a ton of money. They have every reason to do character passes and no reason not to given that even the players who claim to be upset/disappointed buy this stuff anyways.

(everything on that list besides character pass has no value)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

You're underestimating just how much GBF players value that free gold bar.

(also bbtag owns)
didnt mean to slander bbtag, I'd meant dbfz.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I have a lot of respect for transitioning Dr Baldhead into Faust between GG and X. Most successful character turnaround I've ever seen.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It looks like riaju is kind of in between. It's like a normie with a perfect life.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

was the Xrd netcode really bad? It played ok for me. I get rollback is better.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Fightstick will always be legal and no one will ever hate you for using it, these games were all designed for them so you'll have a good experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Nazzadan posted:

This is probably way too broad and general of a question, but as someone who's only FG is Tekken, what 2d game would you recommend I get into on the side? I'm open to pretty much any air dasher/anime fighter. The only FG I'm not really interested in at all is SF, I've played enough of 5 to know I don't like it.
I think UNI and BBTAG are the most alive non-SFV 2D fighting games at the moment. A new UNI (Under Night In Birth) is being released in February if you're a PS4/Switch player, PC release is probably six months later.

BBTAG is probably the most opposite game from Tekken imaginable. UNI is also nothing like Tekken. Not sure if you're looking for something similar or different.