Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Reiley posted:

Did they reveal Jam for Guilty Gear Strive?
no. As a jam player i'm not optimistic...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It would be a shame if Leo didnt make it. I see Leo and Elphelt as the most likely Xrders to get in.

Imo Venom, Jam, Ram, Answer (lol), Jack-O (mega lol), Raven, Bedman, and Kum are the chars in Rev2 who are least likely.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HerniaFlange posted:

Just. Why do they have 2 separate keypads, 1 hitbox button set AND a joystick? And what's the extra button by the hitbox up button? The only way I can wrap my mind around this is that it's meant either for playing retro games on DOSBox as well as fighters or for a couple different people who like different setups to be able to use.
Even the same person can prefer different setups at different times. If that thing was for sale when I was buying I would have gotten it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

BBTAG has some success tbf. They actually redesigned their game appropriately to be casually fun (it's way too anime to get any bigger in the west tho)

It's a totally different animal though.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

What I've seen recently is one of the players looks a little faded, like brighter and more washed out.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

FrostyPox posted:

My very good and 100% correct objective opinions

Anime bad but Granblue good
Lowain and Charlotta good
Djeeta summons Bahamut and she seems very good for running at your opponent and screaming while beating the poo poo out of them, so Djeeta good
Add that lady who throws rice cakes at people from the post above and I will main her even if I despise playing her because I want to throw rice cakes at people
How did people who don't like anime get into Granblue pre-GBVS? Like what is the appeal?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

But Ivy is Soul Calibur's mascot...

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It depends on the controller and personal preference and the specific game. I think d-pad is generally preferred but I can't stand the XBox 360's d-pad, if it works for you no problem.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 22, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The visual style for blitzkampf is too incoherent to the rest of the game with their heavy gradients.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMUQ5hLif7U

clip with blitztank:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvTW_a8TKtQ

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I had no idea ram was that popular. Whenever I'd watch joniosan I would never see Ram.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I really didn't like her Xrd outfit so I at least prefer it to that one. Idk why they keep widening her hips tho.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It reads like a parody written in 2005. How does someone as always online as Mike Z allow himself to write those words????

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I do think Mortal Kombat is like... the opposite of anime. Like anti-anime in some kind of distilled form.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

If you watch Mortal Kombat and think "this is anime" I can't convince you otherwise. It's too many things, it's like it comes from a different world. MK features adults in a totally non-anime way, the narratives aren't entirely about hidden powers manifesting themselves, there's so much about it that makes it not anime but none of it is conclusive so I don't think I can convince anyone who believes the opposite. I'd have to start smaller and look at why something smaller and individual isn't anime and contrast it with a GGX cutscene but maybe another time.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 7, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Nobody ships or cosplays as MK characters. It's in a different ideological universe and I wish I liked MK enough to actually dedicate the brain cells towards figuring it out.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

There's lots of stuff in the world that isn't anime and there are a lot of advantages to not being anime. For example, not being social suicide.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Star wars is reasonably anime and is certainly more anime than mortal kombat.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Jeffrey actually participated in a high stakes 1 on 1 street fighter challenge six years back on these forums. Sadly the video is lost forever.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Is this video a reasonable depiction of Shenmue?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7SVY9CyBBc

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

But what about the joy of losing eight times in a row, getting a win and then leaving the lobby?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

Of all the gaming genres, MOBAs are the one I just do not get. They seem to demand perfect understanding of the mechanics, not to mention optimal strategies, right out of the gate. At least with fighting games you can still gently caress around to some degree and have a good time.
A lot of the fun of mobas is games are so long and complicated and there's so much game knowledge that you will rapidly improve during your first ~300 hours of play. Doing lots of reading outside of the game is actually productive as well so it just becomes this huge thing to research and learn about. And they're so popular and there's so much matchmaking that even when you're bad you'll still win sometimes and thanks to items winning feels really decisive and is a big rush.

It's a massive time sink but you can spend such a long time feeling like you're getting dramatically better at the game, because you are, and there's enough variation that you generally don't find yourself losing to the same thing over and over.

MOBA games are also long and you don't have to be super focused for most of it which is a huge part of the appeal. Whereas FGs every split second matters the entire time which is just an exhausting proposition for a lot of people. The really popular genres these days (BRs and MOBAs) tend to have downtime/low-focus activities baked in.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 31, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Leo is a good add. His reverse stance looks way less oppressive/intimidating than the Xrd version (his swords look tiny) which is a bit of a loss, but still a good choice overall.

new dude, impossible to tell how he will play.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Aug 1, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I imagine the 3 character system is Fantasy Strike trying to flex the fact that there aren't as many mechanical demands to get up and running with multiple characters (idk how true this actually is). In anything even slightly more sophisticated it's pretty hopeless.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Isnt ken historically the shotakan that specced the heaviest into dragon punch?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Sure.. but like... Blanka?

Why not someone cool like Fei Long, he wasn't in SFV. Or Boxer is a mainstay, or claw maybe? Edit: actually I could take or leave Claw, but I'd still prefer him to blanka
Did you miss FeiLongate a week or two back?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

fadam posted:

I have no idea how either of those two mechanics work, and I normally hate armchair game design talk, but I think if you have a mechanic that lets you get value off of safely negating an opponent's fireball, REGARDLESS of how much you juice the zoner, you're going to have a game where zoners aren't good. I feel like Remy's moveset in a game with no parry would result in a very good character, whereas in 3s he's kind of bad.
It works out in uni but uni zoners are ridiculous.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

fadam posted:

I barely know anything about UNI, but I thought parrying in that game was tied to the momentum meter thing. Or can you parry on demand whenever you want?
You can use a special block that increases your grid meter (which is good) but punishes you extra if you get hit or thrown while doing it. But there's no way SFV will have zoners like uni, it would be crazy.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Is there a switch sides button or do I have to reboot the training? Also is there a way to make the classic control scheme stick on a character or will I have to select it every time?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Ty all - I thought I did set the character specific but I'll double check it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Weird Pumpkin posted:

One thing that bugged me was doing it in the battle settings didn't change it for training mode. To get it to default to classic there the only thing I could figure out what actually swapping it in the options menu and not just the battle settings

But the game has a serious menu problem so I couldn't tell you exactly where I found the setting :v:
This is probably my exact problem! I'll keep digging ty.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Switch pro's D Pad is ABOMINABLE. avoid.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Jinh posted:

Reminder that if modern continues not seeing any top level play, Capcom is 100% going to buff it. They have never indicated that modern is a stepping stone to classic or that they intend it to be truly worse than classic.
I doubt this. Toxx yourself.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

They're essentially Hydra from the marvel universe, and the main character is a frozen in time captain america-ish figure who stops them.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I mean sure it could. 3D was revolutionary in cutting down how long it takes to animate every frame. AI could do a lot of work animating those stupid 4 hour movies they ship with every GG game.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Can the fighting game market really bear an actually good street fighter?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Melee... not accessible?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Melee is the hardest fighting to compete in by a country mile.
That does not mean the game is not turbo casual friendly. Same with LoL which is incredibly easy for anyone of any skill level to pick up and feel like they're playing (this was the entire appeal of mobas).

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Starcraft is completely inaccessible. A tiny fraction of players actually played the game, and there's an enormous mechanical hurdle to even achieving 50% of the economy of a good player (and you arent actually playing the game if your opponent has 2x your economy, there is absolutely nothing to learn). It's a textbook definition of inaccessible where there's an incredibly steep mechanical subgame before any of your other decisions even matter, and remember SC1 was ten years before youtube.

Instead everyone played UMS which were extremely accessible and hilarious.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 12, 2023

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's really hard to generalize and there's so much design-wise going on under the hood. Like difficult links/combos in SF are a great place to put mechanical difficulty because it's not really basic functionality it's a subgame that's played after you've earned a hit, and it turns into a risk/reward thing that also gives players steady mechanical progress day after day. In MOBAs last hits are a skill check but their difficulty is what keeps laning feeling dynamic and splits your focus in a way that keeps the game exciting.

On the opposite generous reversal buffers are a good place to ease up on mechanical difficulty because it's kind of basic functionality, it's more binary tban something like damage scaling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

mycot posted:

Wasn't the undoing of Heroes of the Storm that it came out during the time period when Blizzard was fixated on eSports and nobody was interested in HOTS eSports?
HotS is a very complicated case. There were so many decisions made beyond shared XP/no income/no last hits and for some reason people only focus on that part. Trying to fix the game across nine playable maps simultaneously is unbelievably difficult for any team let alone the HotS team that no one wanted to be a part of.