Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Setting up big chains in Puyo is mostly about setting up lots of little situations that can cascade. The easiest way to do this initially is to just match colors in blobs without actually clearing it. Then, when you start clearing all these collapse like a waveform into a giant chain almost naturally. You may not get more than a couple chains at first, but the more you play and practice you need to pay attention and notice what sort of patterns you need to create to set up these chains chain, and repeat those patterns into a bigger design.

Even at a really low skill level it can help to do things like stack up a bunch of non-matching color pillars on the left and right sides of the screen and then start matching colors and only getting clears when it's necessary to push against an opponent's clears. The point here again is when you do get clears chaining that you remember what the patterns look like that get you those chains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

mango sentinel posted:

That is a very unreliable way to try and build combos

Yeah, building a very flat pattern like that is very easy to get blocked by trash drops too.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I always really liked Dive Alert on the NGPC, but it's not exactly the sort of game that has a wide appeal. Especially given the fact that the vast majority of time you're looking at a giant radar display.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Becky.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Yomi and Battlecon are good, I also really like Flash Duel and Exceed is pretty good too.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

I own match of the millenium. Idk how pocket rumble is supposed to top that.

Maybe that's a little unfair given how good MotM is and Pocket Rumble being an indie title, even if the sprite design was straight ripped from the former. That being said I feel like Sirlin's Fantasy Strike has done a better job with giving players simple controls, yet still creating an interesting game to play. They're both fairly shallow though in terms of the greater Fighting Game milieu.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

pocket rumble also has ggpo netplay and a really robust training mode

!?

Maybe I should give it another try. I don't believe it had any real training mode last time I gave it a spin.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Is it because it's Bayo specifically or just because everyone is playing the same character?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Brother Entropy posted:

it's because bayo is kinda a horseshit character with insane recovery and consistent ways to kill really early in an opponent's stock, the latter especially makes her feel like she's playing by entirely different rules than the rest of smash 4's giant cast which can rankle people in a way that lots of shieks or lots of foxes wouldn't

That's a much more reasonable reason for people smash players to be unhappy than I expected.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Mr Cow posted:

i would like Alucard from sotn to be a guest character for soul calibur :)

I would like a full on Castlevania Judgement 2.

After we get Weaponlord 2

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I would hope they keep the trashy character designs at least. Except for Maria. The stage designs were all pretty great too. The camera would need to be fixed and I mean as long as we're wishing the fighting is just SC2?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Why do stages matter for being free? That's almost the literal definition of cosmetic.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Saint Freak posted:

SFV DLC stages include one that hides some character's fireballs or give a character a DLC-stage-only specific move.

Also one that apparently makes some people vomit, as if the regular game doesn't already do so.

Wait what!? That's-- that's not okay at all. (Though I'm guessing the DLC-stage-only specific move is something like a cage for Claw to grab onto?)

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

When my Vice game is on point.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

"The pointy end goes in the other man."

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Smoking Crow posted:

The MK9 story mode is really good and the only time I'd say a cinematic story mode in that fashion was good

I'm watching Super Couch Fighters do a playthrough of this currently and you're so, so very wrong. It's very bad, the voice acting is okay, but the voice direction and the lines themselves are abysmal and while the transitions from fights to story is actually well done, the animations otherwise are pretty terrible. And the story itself is-- pretty much standard Mortal Kombat fare, which is to say it's bad, but not necessarily that much worse than nearly any other fighting game story.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Arrest me. :colbert:

Also I think that the models look really bad, but that's not really an issue with the story mode and I'll cop to that being a stylistic choice that I just don't care for.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Yardbomb posted:

It's also why the MK movie is probably still the only good example of a vidya game turned into a movie.

The MK movie was good because they didn't try and change anything except Scorpion's spear and pretty much played everything straight and serious unlike pretty much every other video game movie adaptation at that point.

Street Fighter was a legit good comedy though.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Reiley posted:

MKX has legit good female fighting game char designs, many of them actually wear pants.

"Many" being-- Just Sonya Blade? And she does so while not wearing a shirt. All the others are Sindel, Jade/Kitara/Mileena and Sheeva who all have never even lived in the same dimension as pants.

EDIT: MKX, not 9. My apologies. The conversation was about 9 so I was still thinking about that.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Sonya Blade is weird because before they went 3D, she generally had a good design. She got pants, she wore a top and generally her story wasn't centered around Johnny Cage making bad passes at her constantly and the player switching between beating up Johnny Cage to prove she's a strong woman and then playing as Johnny Cage to white knight her against Kano.

In Training posted:

Everybody in UNIST and melty blood are just wearing hoodie + jeans or are dressed for school which may be a skirt which seems fine

Skirts are fine people wear skirts.

In Training posted:

Isn't she just a cop

She's wearing one of those tactical catsuits with the harnesses and pouches everywhere.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Endorph posted:

also yeah its weird that people focus on 'realism' when it comes to criticizing female character designs and not 'this character was clearly made to be sexy in a way that is too exaggerated to be appealing and doesnt fit her personality'

like rachel is an unrealistic design because good lord those platforms but shes a great design. morrigan's a good design because shes sexy but shes a freaking succubus. dizzy is kind of a bad design because the weird leather outfit doesnt really suit her.

I'm sorry if it came across that 'realism' was the goal, because you're absolutely right. There was the conversation earlier about how Mai from KoF is a pretty great character and she's got a ninja loincloth thing going on as well. One of the things I think MK really falls on it's face with is that out of the six characters that I've seen in MK9's story mode (7, maybe? Not sure if the bandage clone was specifically Mileena or not) three (four) of them are the exact same design. Even the male ninjas at this point all have unique design points to them that go beyond having darker skin / having her mouth (normally hidden) full of spiky teeth / the lighter skin one.

A lot of DoA characters are gross in the same way where they all share the same body model and face which is just creepy, but even in that game there's some good designs and costume choices.

Guilty Gear is pretty good all around. Samurai Showdown too is pretty good in general.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

All of the female MK costumes got way worse as the series went on because in MK1 through Ultimate a human had to be able to both wear the outfit and actually perform the poses and some of the moves. MKX was a massive improvement on that across the board.

This is a really good point. And I think it applies not just to the female costumes, too. Maybe it's nostalgia goggles talking, but I do think the BMX armor robots look better than their later designs. It also made them pretty visually distinctive as compared to generic robots in any other media.

chumbler posted:

I've always liked Arcueid's design, just a turtleneck sweater and long skirt.

It's a great design for sure.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Natural 20 posted:

I feel like Divekick for all its in jokes and hilarity missed the point of its own concept. The original version with two mirror characters with the exact same skillset was like Nidhogg in being a pure expression of a fighting game. When it moved to having lots of characters and weird skills I feel like it got away from that.

I agree. Divekick's release version was like Divekick 2. It's okay, but I really expected something without the in-jokes and gems and some of the more gimmicky characters. Though, on that last point I guess you can just not pick them, but that feels really close to No items, Fox Only, Final Destination.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

You watch sf the movie to feel bad that Raul Julia died and remember how awesome he was playing Gomez Adams

Feel good because he delivers an amazing performance even in something like Street Fighter: The Movie. It may not be very faithful to the canon of the games, but as a silly comedy action movie it owns bones. So many great lines, I remember thinking no video game movies got it right until Mortal Kombat, but as far as being movies go it's way more fun to watch Street Fighter or even Mario Brothers again.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

MOBAs also have the luxury of a ban only being a part of a team that's working together to play at the same time, and there's a lot of different roles that a person could play, so if you ban Player A's choice for a certain role, Player B could have a different character as their main for that role. So there's at least some thought that needs to go into what a team is going to ban from their opponents based on what they want to field and who they want to encounter.

None of this makes any sense to have in a 1v1 game.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I dunno. You wanna get good at a language you need to study and practice. Same thing with fightman games.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

chumbler posted:

There are usually like textbooks and classes and reference guides and practical experience in conversations that builds up slowly from a simple foundation for learning a language, and not just being thrown in a foreign country and being told you're on your own. Like there can definitely be disagreement over what constitutes a good tutorial, but this apparent aversion to having useful tutorials for new people is some gatekeepy poo poo that is real weird, to me.

I mean, I'm not going to argue the existence of terrible people in the FGC gatekeeping or there being a lot of people who are lovely in general to new players, but the resources are out there. I feel just like textbooks for language learning, there's YT tutorials out there that range from being great to being trash, and that sometimes what works for one person doesn't work for another. And with twitch the way it is, sometimes you can find someone who's grinding on whatever game you're interested and they or someone in their chat will take some time to explain some of the basics of the terminology if that's the barrier to getting started in using other material.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Does the Rival Schools evolution disk count?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

dragon enthusiast posted:

what's going to happen is you're going to get a new fightgame IP where the assumption of 10f of input lag is built into the design considerations for the game

Isn't that how Weaponlord was developed? With the expectation that people would play via dialup internet.

What I'm saying is bring back Weaponlord.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Brosnan posted:

Y'all should play Chaos Breaker

Looking this up, apparently I do.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Is the season pass on Steam or is it just a playstation thing?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Oh rip.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Reiley posted:

The time is right for a new Weaponlord, brought to you by Kickstarter.

Not an emptyquote.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

chumbler posted:

No. Steam sucks rear end and often won't have things listed until release.

I feel like this isn't on Steam's shoulders. Plenty of games do fine having a page before release. If I were to guess it's probably that the publisher has control of when the page is turned on for the public to see and that Arcsys hasn't done it-- hasn't realized it needs to be done-- or just in general doesn't have someone that knows/is in charge of it.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I'll stan for Flash Duel. I enjoy it way better than Yomi on the scale of fighting game-based card games, even if it's on the lighter side, like a Dragon Punch as opposed to a Battle CON

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

There was one a few years ago called something like-- Darkstalkers?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Captain Baal posted:

He's one of the least popular eternals (I think THE least popular) and also one of the goofier looking ones too when most people like Seofon, Threo, and Seox. I think Seofon being up as one they were considering but them going with Anre most likely because they wanted some Harvin representation also probably plays a factor. I don't think it's much of an issue and it's just some fans being pissy because the guy they don't care about got in, but whatever the season pass has mostly been humans/things that look like humans this season so it's not crazy they want to show off more of GBF's world this way since a lot of people who don't play actual GBF are experiencing Granblue through Versus.

Though I would have like Seofon as a fan of the character and Suwabe and ethereal swords, but there's nothing saying they won't add him later.

I don't think people would've complained about Song or Esser as well. Or the other two Harvin Eternals. As you said, he's probably the least popular of the group he's in.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Captain Baal posted:

I'm one of the lucky ones in that most of my favorite characters haven been put in the game so they could add whatever at this point and I'm good. Would like Lamretta and a few of my other favorites in though, but whatever it's a huge rear end cast some chars are bound to get left behind.

Oh yeah, there's definitely a host of characters I think would be really cool, especially lesser known ones that only exist in the R-SR sphere. Lamretta as an example is a great pick, I agree.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The bra. With sleeves, a collar and buttons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Spanish Manlove posted:

I think she looks cooler than in Xrd.

Agreed. Most of the Strive designs have been great. Leo and May especially. I think the only minor thing I don't like about I-No's new look is the little waist cape, but I'll cop to the fact that it gives her silhouette a much better "witch" look.