Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
This thread is for discussing all things about China's rich, 5,000-year agricultural history. You can talk about modern Chinese industrial agriculture, terraced farms in Jiangxi, Chinese tea industry...if it grows out of the ancient ground of China, it's fair game.

DO NOT use racial or derogatory language in this thread. DO NOT discuss stupid poo poo about mods or why certain words are good or bad. DO NOT say "no why" because it's not funny at all anymore.

This shot shows a Chinese farmer using the tools of his trade. This farmer has never 不劳而获ed a day in his life!

A Chinese farmer harvesting potatoes, or as they are known in Mandarin: "earth beans." Notice the deep squat position, China's agricultural history is so rich that even modernized city-dwellers can hold this position for hours without feeling any discomfort.

Time to have a rest...

As part of the "farm to table" process, many different people are involved--not just farmers.

Women don't just hold up half of heaven! They hold up the farm's productivity!

Even the herding dog needs to have a rest. The farmer uses a modern technique to herd cattle.

Due to China's rapid development and ever-increasing urbanization, a scene like this is commonplace. It takes a lot of farmland to feed so many people.

Farming is ingrained into China's unfathomably vast and rich cultural history. Even the modern Windows XP user in a bustling city such as Shanghai or China's Taipei can be found playing games based on farming: Happy Farm, Plants vs. Zombies...the list goes on.

Further down the farm-to-table process, you have the night market. China's farms produce so much that markets have to stay open late into the night just to have time to sell all our their surplus! Here you can buy some watermelon seeds, which are a great snack for having a rest, or you could grow your own watermelon--which also are a great snack for having a rest.

Welcome you to the Chinese Teahouse, and the Gongfu tea ceremony. This is a special method of tea preparation that shows the great value of patience and tradition within Chinese culture. You'll pay more for tea leaves harvested by large-breasted women--and that's not sexist, it's just another culture. It's not an outsider's place to judge someone else's culture! Let's just observe and enjoy.

Chinese love tobacco--unless you're a woman, then it's slutty to smoke and you will be looked down on! Here is the older post-40's generation enjoying some piped tobacco. The younger generations prefer regular cigarettes, but all of this tobacco comes from--you guessed it!--Chinese farmers!

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
chinese gold farmers

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I am learning so much! Thank you for this informative, sensitive and knowledge-growing post.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
What a rich, accepting culture. Truly we can all aspire to their inscrutable ways.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

I am not a farmer so I cannot comment.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

JiveHonky posted:

chinese gold farmers

Between you and Angel Opportunity I think we have both sides of the coin. Although, on the one hand China has many land farmers, but on the other hand it also has many Computer farmers. This is not only in Gold farming but also in the server farming job.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

We should just roll all these threads into a 'pathetic, backwards foreign country.pdf' megathread where we go and poo poo on all the ignorant savages that populate non-american countries.

Russia? Sure? Ukraine, Great! China/SE Asia? You betcha! England, sure thing, hell let's throw in Mississippi just to be safe

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Russia? Sure? Ukraine, Great!
Why did you repeat yourself?

Why did you repeat yourself?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I'm very interested in learning about Chinese agriculture and improving my Mandarin as well. Is there a specific term for farmers in Mandarin?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Blistex posted:

I'm very interested in learning about Chinese agriculture and improving my Mandarin as well. Is there a specific term for farmers in Mandarin?

农民

The term is so ingrained into the language that many major banks are actually "agricultural" banks.

Aug 4, 2010

chinese gutter oil

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Farmer in Chinese is 耕田佬

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Thank the lord, I had to quit reading the last one because I was getting triggered by all the dog whistle/outright racism

also, :firstpost:

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Ceciltron posted:

I am learning so much! Thank you for this informative, sensitive and knowledge-growing post.

:same:

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

oh cool a chinese megathread.

we haven't had one of these in literally hours.

I sure hope some whitenoise fuckhead tells me what a dick I am for pointing this out!

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

yeah the old one had run its course

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
This thread is really growing on me

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

ScrotoTurboSperg posted:

did you know chinese farmers work very hard, sometimes all day?

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

ScrotoTurboSperg posted:

May this thread last for 5000 years of history!

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

GoatSeeGuy posted:

At the very least, 5000 posts of prosperity!

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I got post #8, I'm sorted for prosperity, thanks

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

GoatSeeGuy posted:

this thread is like the romance of the three kingdoms if the thematic cyclical nature of the centralization of imperial china were instead lovely thinly-veiled racist jokes.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

simplefish posted:

I got post #8, I'm sorted for prosperity, thanks

Grass mud horse you, buddy!

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

wan sui, chinese farmer thread

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pic...l?frame=2424441

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
Do Chinese farmers grow cannabis? How strong is Chinese cannabis? Does China have a large cannabis culture, or a long history of using cannabis? What musical and artistic traditions do the Chinese associate with cannabis? What are the most popular methods of ingesting cannabis in China?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
my landlord is an old chinese guy. he graduated highschool in 1966 at the top of his class. unfortunately for him that was the year Mao started the cultural revolution and closed all of the universities for a decade. he was send to a peasant farm to dig in the dirt, lol owned :china:

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
I want to start a Chinese farm. What kind of soil is best for Chinese?

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm the old Chinese guy smoking in the OP.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
China is boring and uninteresting. Let's talk about anime.

tie-dye my titties
Jun 14, 2014

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
China thread, good for gbs healthy!! Hope new China thread drink much cold water :)

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Zorodius posted:

Do Chinese farmers grow cannabis? How strong is Chinese cannabis? Does China have a large cannabis culture, or a long history of using cannabis? What musical and artistic traditions do the Chinese associate with cannabis? What are the most popular methods of ingesting cannabis in China?

Most Chinese don't smoke cannabis and think it's similar to heroin. There is almost no Chinese cannabis culture that isn't corrupted by Western cannabis culture. Usually only rabblerousers and malcontents will touch the stuff. The beetlenut is instead more suitable and can help your fertility.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I did beetle nut a few times while hanging out with Taiwanese friends. Never did come across one of the so called "king nuts".

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

chinese farmers got access to my wow account once after it had been inactive for some months. Joke's on them, blizzard let me know and let me keep all the progress. Thanks china.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

This guy owns I am self-entertained

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Do Chinese farmers prefer to irrigate their crops with cold or hot water? Is cold water acceptable for the healthy of the plant?

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Zorodius posted:

There's a pretty decent sativa landrace strain from Yunnan, but whether chinese farmers grow much of it I don't know. I only know about weed.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

*slams fist on table*

Choina! It's pronounced choina!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Sheep-Goats posted:

When people ask me "What was China like?!?" I tell them that it was like a goblin camp from The Lord of the Rings.

raton fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Chinese Farmers know how to let their hare down in the year of the Rabbit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pnQ6XbcxWw

• Locked thread