Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I did beetle nut a few times while hanging out with Taiwanese friends. Never did come across one of the so called "king nuts".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

sincx posted:

Heh, did you get mod approval first? Because you may be tempting fate otherwise.

How much yuan does mod approval cost?

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I blame Ai Weiwei.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Can I still call white people gringos?

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

sincx posted:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/273231452/Flying-Upside-Down-pdf#scribd

and

http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/foreign/89413-working-pilot-china.html

Basically don't fly Chinese airlines. And a lot of Asian carriers (i.e. Asiana, Japan Airlines, Korean Air, China Airlines [different from Air China], not to mention the likes of Lion Air and other Southeast Asian LCCs) are lovely due to Confucianism not being conductive to good Crew Resource Management (strict hierarchy, underlings are taught to never question superiors, corruption, etc etc. Just read the PDF).

Pay extra for US carriers. If you have to fly within China, stick with Air China if at all possible because as the successor to CAAC, they have had the most exposure to and experience with international safety standards.

I've flown JAL, China Airlines, and Korean Air in addition to United and American and the Asian carriers were always better. You're spouting a bunch of fear mongering moronic nonsense.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I'm going to Vietnam in November. Any tips?

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Speak French and be a dick to everyone you meet, the Vietnamese love this

I speak no french and my mandarin is poo poo after years of non use. I mean more like how do I suss out a good banh mi vendor?

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

je1 healthcare posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure what made the Russia/eastern europe mockery threads any more acceptable.

White people deserve it.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Check out this three year old standing up to the Chengguan :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hNe29Z4s2w

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Blistex posted:

Yes, China is pretty much paying Han people to out-gently caress the Tibetans. They also try and keep Tibetan employment artificially low so that people are less likely to have children. It's basically long-term genocide.

Is it about anything other than water?

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

isme posted:

I know it's a common theme in this thread to talk about "5000 years of Chinese History", but I always cringe at the phrase. There is no evidence Chinese history is 5000 years old, little to no evidence it is 4000 years old, but safe to say that it is more than 3000 years old.

It is the same bullshit that sometimes Koreans claim that Korean history is at least 7000 years old because one of their god king ruled for 3000 years and they extended their influences all the way to Sumerian culture.

Lol.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

HoAssHo posted:

I was not able to find the gassed thread - the last one - does anyone have a link? I was always interested in checking it out but never got around to it and it sounds like I missed some good poo poo.

It wasn't gassed it was just closed. The one before that was goldmined.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

isme posted:

I know every one in this thread are obviously doing this mockingly. I am more referring when I hear Chinese unironically using this phrase as a fact, hence the cringe.

If you're in china and that is making you cringe you need to leave immediately before you kill yourself.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Poor gwailo, you have it so hard. Please inform us about your struggles.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Haier posted:

My struggle is a self-loathing asian goon who passive-aggressively whines about every post I make. It really cricks my britches!

Gringos do cry a lot.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

LentThem posted:

Still on my Japan vacation and it's been really interesting to see that people who are culturally japanese have extreme self awareness almost to the point of crippling them socially, yet culturally chinese people where I live are the opposite and have no self awareness at all.

While visiting temples in Kyoto I stopped near a famous touristy bridge to take some photos. Nearby was a group of maybe 15 people resting on the shore speaking mandarin. One older guy in his 40s kept picking up pebbles off the ground and lazily throwing them at the birds 1-2 meters away with a small smile on his face.

If you're in Kyoto you need to go to the Inari Shrine. It's baller as hell.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
That is one ridiculously beautiful city. And then you can go to Nara and play with a bunch of deer.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Red Blossom tea company is pretty great if you're in the US. Tad expensive but they are pros.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Blistex posted:

When someone does this to you, I ask them to (literally) point out one invention in sight that they are using in the modern world that was a solely Chinese invention.

<cue them scanning the inside of the shopping mall/city street>

:china: "There. . . bamboo" (growing in a planter).
:v: "no, that's a plant that has not been modified by humans."
:china: "Uhhh. . . <points to car, then lowers hand> uhhh . . . <goes to reach for cell phone, then leaves it in their pocket> "Medicine".
:v: "Every culture had medicine"
:china: ". . . calendar?"
:v: "many cultures had calendars"
:china: "compass?"
:v: "show me your compass"

Sounds like you're a pedantic nerd that doesn't know how to interact with people.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

what the oldest actually contiguous country today? France is pretty old, about 1200 years or so in roughly is current state (unless you want to cut it off with the end of the monarchy). England is about 1000 years old. Turkey is 900 years old if the ottomans count. i guess Vatican city can get grandfathered in as the continuation of the roman government? though it hasn't been independent for the entire time, that would make it about 3000 years old

Nerd.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Woah, now I kind of want a job on the mainland.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

I live in an area with a ton of Chinese students/grad students and these threads have helped immensely for me to understand and interact with them in a way that was utterly alien just a year ago.

Wow, you must be a complete idiot then. Read a drat book.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I think it's pretty amusing how many of you idots take Chinese propaganda meant for internal consumption at face value with no hint of irony.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
English: 40% old french, 40% old German, 10 percent latin and 10 percent greek; but no please go on about language purity.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

AllanGordon posted:

lol even this goes over your head

go back to bitching about haier getting puss

I wasn't bitching, I was laughing. It's the same embarrassing story I watched unravel before my very eyes multiple times over. Like watching Mr. Bean but in real life.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Haier posted:

I just reported everyone in this thread directly to Lowtax because this is the most racist thread in GBS. Omg u guys.

Why are white people so defensive when they get called racist just for jingoistically disparaging another race?

Falun Bong Refugee fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 23, 2016

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Ceciltron posted:

The sauce is very oily. Most Chinese food is very shiny and oily. Unless it's steamed, in which case it will just look sweaty.

It's cornstarch. Read the wok this way thread in GWS for other "how the gently caress do they get it to taste so good?" tips.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Ceciltron posted:

Right. I'm gonna be a pedant though, and say that in the Northeast, at least where I lived, Potato Starch was the thickener of choice.

I often wonder what they did before corn and potatoes? Did their food suck? I guess they had taro and taro with pork belly is like the best poo poo so they were ok.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Fojar38 posted:

i cannot speak for everyone else in this thread but for me, after having "When China Rules the World after its Unstoppable Rise" shoved down my throat for a decade i figured that china should be able to handle the kind of criticism that would normally be directed at an influential great power and it is a source of endless amusement to me that there is so many hurt feelings and pearl clutching when the kind of making GBS threads-on that the usa and europe have to deal with constantly is directed at china

When china rules the world was really shoved down your throat for a decade? What state school did you go to where you think anyone will believe that poo poo? You know you're not talking to china on this forum right? That's a country. You can't talk to it dummy.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Fojar38 posted:

did you not read like any news story since 2005 that mentioned china

Yeah but I'm not a complete loving idiot so I don't take everything I read at it's word because I developed critical thinking skills as a child.

Hey guys, global warming is not real! Fox news told me so!

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Fojar38 posted:

wow you sure are smart

You're setting the bar pretty low.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Mercury_Storm posted:

Try working at or working with people who read the Wall Street Journal or (insert popular financial/political rag here) and then saying you didn't hear about how we'll all be speaking Japanese/Chinese soon, paying homage to the emperor, etc. etc.

You can only name one financial publication off the top of your head(a lovely one) and you expect me to believe you work with those types of people?

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
You guys are just so transparent and its nice to start the day off with something easy.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Fojar38 posted:

like you have no loving idea how many people have been swindled by the "china rising" narrative

People swindled?In finance! That's unheard of! You might be the first person to ever come to this revelation.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

akulanization posted:

you coulda fooled me.

Woah, burn.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Tupperwarez posted:

BREAKING: Local man recruited into Department of Foreign Affairs, Southeast Asia division.

Dude made officer in the Chengguan later that day.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Killjoy posted:

I mean the best serial killers are the ones that don't get caught. Factor in an apathetic or outright incompetent police force and the problems become loving invisible. Russia had an issue under communism where serial killers obviously could only be a symptom of the bourgeois, and thus only a problem Americans could have (and there is at least one case of a serial killer who evaded capture for so long due to this). Heck even in America, people can point to a perceived lack of black serial killers when the truth of the matter is that our cops plain just ignore murder patterns when it comes to minorities - The Grim Sleeper is an as off yet non-convicted killer who was able to evade capture for years because cops plain just didn't care about the black women he was offing.

And China is well China so draw your own conclusions.

Do you know how to use paragraphs to separate ideas?

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Groovelord Neato posted:

nobody answered my question: how does chinese handle the scientific names of organisms?

With Chinese words. I hope that's helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Blacktoll posted:

I skipped a ton of pages only to end up with people still asking about Chinese lingusitics.

What the gently caress. We need a car on fire or some chemical plant explosions in China.

These gringos need to feel superior somehow in the downtime.

• Locked thread