Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I'm inviting all of you to watch an 80s action or horror flick tonight and eat your preferred junk food.

were trailers better when they just repeated the director and title several times?? n

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckvDo2JHB7o

quote:

Escape from New York
R 1981 ‧ Fantasy/Fantasy ‧ 1h 39m

In 1997, a major war between the United States and the Soviet Union is concluding, and the entire island of Manhattan has been converted into a giant maximum security prison. When Air Force One is hijacked and crashes into the island, the president (Donald Pleasence) is taken hostage by a group of inmates. Snake Plissken (Kurt Russell), a former Special Forces soldier turned criminal, is recruited to retrieve the president in exchange for his own freedom.

other possible movies were tombstone and the thing. or alien. honorary 80s movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 4, 2010

its an excellent movie

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
I saw it projected off an actual reel of film at the National Film Archives in a double feature with The Thing. One of the best movie viewing experiences I've ever had. Great movie.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
I cant watch tonight i have a dinner date. maybe some other time?

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Im here to shitpost and chew bubblegum. And I'm all out of gum.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

quote:

Your Dead Gay Son

I thought you were dead.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Good movie

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Jim Barris posted:

I saw it projected off an actual reel of film at the National Film Archives in a double feature with The Thing. One of the best movie viewing experiences I've ever had. Great movie.

This sounds awesome

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Jim Barris posted:

Holy poo poo. Sounds like nirvana

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

amityville anus posted:

Im here to shitpost and chew bubblegum. And I'm all out of gum.

Wrong movie *snort laugh* NERD!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
escape from LA had the most bad rear end ending ever. the movie sucked, but i want a sequel desperately:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHUqNCDwQj4

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
Good call

Unknowable Hole
Feb 2, 2005

Pillbug
I always thought Escape From LA was supposed to be a parody of the original.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

OP i dont own this movie whats the easiest way for me to view it without being a pirate

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
If you're ever in or around Culpepper, Virginia you should see a movie at the National Film Archives because

1.) They only play great movies
2.) It's a gorgeous vaudeville theater that's been re-purposed for screening films
3.) It's absolutely free

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Jim Barris posted:

If you're ever in or around Culpepper, Virginia you should see a movie at the National Film Archives because

1.) They only play great movies
2.) It's a gorgeous vaudeville theater that's been re-purposed for screening films
3.) It's absolutely free

Hunh. That's not far from me at all, and I had no idea it exists. Thanks.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Rurea posted:

OP i dont own this movie whats the easiest way for me to view it without being a pirate

I'm gonna rent it in HD Through Amazon. Some countries have it on Netflix right now apparently

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
JOHN CARPENTERS

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the year is 1997. it is the future.

enjoy the film OP

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
Johnny C does his own music too.

He even has an album out which is :krad:

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
i am watching john carpenter's they live tonight

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Jim Barris posted:

That is crazy awesome

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Concerned Citizen posted:

i am watching john carpenter's they live tonight

its scary how relevant it still is, maybe more than ever

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Xaris posted:

its scary how relevant it still is, maybe more than ever

do you mean because of President Obama taking away our rights and our guns?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

JiveHonky posted:

do you mean because of President Obama taking away our rights and our guns?

im here to chew gum and shitpost, and hell, i'm too poor to buy gum

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Not action or horror, but Better off Dead is one of my favorites. I should watch that again sometime.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
The Fog is good (and good music) too if you haven't seen it

though might be a bit biased since it was filmed near my house and i also love The Birds

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
You make good fuckin decisions bud

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

i ate an entire taco 12 pack and quesalupa for dinner

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pudding Huxtable posted:

Johnny C does his own music too.

He even has an album out which is :krad:

His second album, Lost Themes II, is out today.

Also I'm going to see him perform live on Hallowe'en. :appropriate emoticon:

Also also, Escape From New York is a really good movie that should be watched. I'm glad they cut the scene of the robbery where Snake was captured though, that wasn't very good.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

www posted:

its an excellent movie

fun fact, a lot of it was shot in St. Louis because what people would imagine as a derelict mahattan penal colony and St. Louis are actually indistinguishable

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Rutibex posted:

escape from LA had the most bad rear end ending ever. the movie sucked, but i want a sequel desperately:

Wow Ebert gave this movie 3.5 stars when it came out. Out of four, not ten.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tll8ioM4rY

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
I watched this when I was 10 and thought it totally kicked rear end. I will find a copy and see what my adult mind thinks.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Great movie

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I've started the movie. I forget that carpenter scores his own movies too

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Rutibex posted:

also gently caress you escape from LA owns, the scene where Snake surfs a tsunami wave right after getting shot in the leg and is going so fast on the wave he catches up to Steve Buschemi driving down PCH and jumps off of the surfboard into hsi car is like one of the top 10 best scenes in film

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The backstory to Escape From New York is and I'd wish it was explored more. Supposedly, President Donald Pleasence was supposed to be the result of some U.S./British anschluss between Reagan and Thatcher and that the whole country's crime problem was the result of a errant wartime nerve gas beginning to make Americans insane.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
you should watch the thing instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I'll watch with you if we can make out a little and maybe you'll blow me? Also call me snake. :cool:

• Locked thread