Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

BrigadierSensible posted:

You can buy your normal cloth face masks in all sorts of bullshit gimmicky merch styles. No doubt they sell them in Harry Potter styles to bleed further cash from the nerds.

Of course, thanks guys. Shows how little I leave the house these days that this completely slipped my mind!

I was imagining the idiot prison guard showing up to work wearing a death eater mask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Stunt_enby posted:

why in god's name would a man who depends on political radicalization for his income be a fan of the author of loving CRIME AND PUNISHMENT?
Because it's "I'm so smart I read Russian literature :smaug:" signalling

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Stunt_enby posted:

why in god's name would a man who depends on political radicalization for his income be a fan of the author of loving CRIME AND PUNISHMENT?

It’s not. He just wants to sound smart and he knows his target audience hasn’t read it/ can’t comprehend the themes.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Skwirl posted:

If it actually happened (which it didn't) literally any school subject that wasn't Russian Literature. If I'm a math or geography teacher I wouldn't want students reading Dostoevsky during my class.

He specifies "professor" so I think it's supposed to be college? It sounds like it was written by a high schooler that has no idea about the layout of lecture halls and assumes that most professors require you to have your textbook open at all times, and would notice if you didn't.

Not to mention, in college you always have the option of not showing up if you want to read a book.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I sabotaged my own studies to own the libs by reading babby's first classics when I should've been listening to a lecture.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Stunt_enby posted:

At the risk of this becoming another Jordan Peterson thread, a big part of his schtick are his claim to intellectualism and to be an expert in ethics.

The cognitive dissonance is deafening.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
The dogwhistle here is likely “my prof wanted us to read a gender studies book written by a Black lesbian, but I showed them by reading a dead white guy’s novel instead.”

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

TDCJ probably wouldn't allow a mask like that to be worn. Logos, sports teams, etc. are not allowed on clothing (for volunteers).

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's double fake somehow. In a real fake story, the author would have alluded more to Doctor Who, the popular TV show.

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick
I'm currently studying to become a librarian and I joined a discord for librarians, and someone yesterday shared this really obviously fake story her bossed emailed to her entire team.
She's supposed to respond with a take-away or something but she can't get over how bullshit it is and we were all trying to help her with how to respond. It's so :psyduck:

quote:

If You Don’t Care About Your Customers, At Least Pretend You Do

Remember “Cheers”?
It was about a neighborhood bar in Boston. The theme song went:
“Sometimes you want to go where everybody knows your name, and they’re always glad you came”.

This couple have a new place like that in their neighborhood. It’s a gourmet doughnut shop named Duck Doughnuts, and they went there to celebrate getting Covid vaccine shots.
They didn’t know what to order because of what was called “Duckzillion Flavors”, so the manager helped them choose.
When they left, they said they felt like everybody there was sincerely glad they came and they looked forward to going back”.

Later they noticed their next-door neighbor’s cars hadn’t moved in a few days (which was unusual) and texted to see if they were okay.
They were not. They had both contracted Covid and were in bad shape.
They immediately went to Walgreen’s to get them a care package with chicken soup, etc. They also decided to surprise them with smoothies, which they love.

The only person in the smoothie store was a young lady behind the counter. Unlike at Duck Doughnuts, she did not verbally acknowledge them when they entered.
She didn’t even look at them, probably because she was so busy watching TikTok videos.
They had never ordered smoothies and didn’t know what to get. They told her they were for neighbors who were in their eighties and deathly ill and asked what flavor she would recommend.
When she finally looked up, the expression on her face seemed to say “How dare you interrupt me”. She was of no help, didn’t thank them for their order, and didn’t ask them to come back.
She could not have cared less about her customers, which is no surprise. What is surprising is that no one taught her to at least act like she cared.
The difference between Duck Doughnuts and Miss Can’t-Be-Bothered-By-Customers might be the most perfect example ever of the right and wrong way to handle customer service.

The formula is simple:

1. Welcome customers when they arrive
2. Offer help if they need it
3. Make them feel welcome
4. Thank them for their business
5. Invite them to come back

A good product is critical to success in any field. But without good people, even the best product in the world won’t succeed.

The only thing that's missing is for someone to tell the smoothie girl to "get off tiktok and live in the real world" and then everyone in the smoothie store stands up and claps.

I don't even know where to start with the issues. The "expression on her face" thing really conflicts the whole covid setting, if she was maskless you figure it would have been pointed out in the story. If you KNOW your neighbors love smoothies, why wouldn't you have an idea of which one they would like? Covid usually kills your sense of taste anyway so does it even matter? Who wants a thick, cold icky chunky beverage with dairy in it when they're sick with something that causes coughing?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Duck Doughnuts: Duckzilla Flavor
Walgreens: Chicken Soup
Smoothies: ???
someone who is good at food please help me order this. my neighbors are dying

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The longest way possible to say bad service is bad.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Pasketti posted:

I'm currently studying to become a librarian and I joined a discord for librarians, and someone yesterday shared this really obviously fake story her bossed emailed to her entire team.
She's supposed to respond with a take-away or something but she can't get over how bullshit it is and we were all trying to help her with how to respond. It's so :psyduck:

The only thing that's missing is for someone to tell the smoothie girl to "get off tiktok and live in the real world" and then everyone in the smoothie store stands up and claps.

I don't even know where to start with the issues. The "expression on her face" thing really conflicts the whole covid setting, if she was maskless you figure it would have been pointed out in the story. If you KNOW your neighbors love smoothies, why wouldn't you have an idea of which one they would like? Covid usually kills your sense of taste anyway so does it even matter? Who wants a thick, cold icky chunky beverage with dairy in it when they're sick with something that causes coughing?

It's interesting that they had the manager provide the help at the donut shop instead of the person behind the counter. Is the class lesson that the director of the library should be the one dealing with all the customers and not the desk staff?

I'm also not sure how the smoothie worker was supposed to help them pick a flavor for people that weren't there, other than to tell them the most popular flavors.

Several years ago on vacation I contracted something and become the sickest I have ever been. Starting to slowly recover I thought a smoothie sounded refreshing. It didn't take long for me to throw that back up.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Pasketti posted:

I can't help but note that the couple got the vaccine and got sick immediately. The charitable take is that they were infected before immunity could develop, or that they were experiencing the side effects of the second shot, but something tells me with this much other bullshit, its implying the shot doesn't work/gave them COVID.

jjack229 posted:

It's interesting that they had the manager provide the help at the donut shop instead of the person behind the counter.

Managers think they are the only good employees, so that checks out.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Dienes posted:

I can't help but note that the couple got the vaccine and got sick immediately. The charitable take is that they were infected before immunity could develop, or that they were experiencing the side effects of the second shot, but something tells me with this much other bullshit, its implying the shot doesn't work/gave them COVID.

The protagonists got the vaccine and celebrated with duck-themed doughnuts. Their neighbors got COVID, and received chicken soup and apathetically-produced smoothies as gifts from the protagonists.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

ah the 20 year old millennials these days and their insatiable desire for tiktok videos

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

they keep calling Duck Donuts "Duck Doughnuts" so I think they're just a psychopath

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

jjack229 posted:

It's interesting that they had the manager provide the help at the donut shop instead of the person behind the counter. Is the class lesson that the director of the library should be the one dealing with all the customers and not the desk staff?

It’s actually a lesson in class consciousness that the library director should take to heart.

The manager, being paid a living wage, was friendly and helpful.

The smoothie teen, being paid minimum wage, didn’t give a drat.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
So what your saying is she needs to be paid less

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.
Preferably while still working the same or more hours

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Blue Moonlight posted:

The protagonists got the vaccine and celebrated with duck-themed doughnuts. Their neighbors got COVID, and received chicken soup and apathetically-produced smoothies as gifts from the protagonists.

You're right, thanks. Must've had a hard time reading it from all the eye-rolling.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

They still bought the smoothies, customer service doesn't matter in the story.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Customer service is entirely arbitrary as poo poo. I could be nice and helpful as gently caress back in my retail days but because I have a Barry White register people would perceive me as trying to be authoritative and since boomer rear end customers hate the idea of workers not being obsequious Igor rear end automatons it meant they would perceive me as being surly entirely on a whim, like every other assessment they make of retail workers.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Customer service is entirely arbitrary as poo poo. I could be nice and helpful as gently caress back in my retail days but because I have a Barry White register people would perceive me as trying to be authoritative and since boomer rear end customers hate the idea of workers not being obsequious Igor rear end automatons it meant they would perceive me as being surly entirely on a whim, like every other assessment they make of retail workers.

I was always considered marvelous at customer service because I am the Shade Queen. There are so many Karens in Missoula, Montana whose half-mullets were singed without them being any the wiser.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

At first I thought you meant you manned some sort of Barry White-themed cash register and wondered who the hell could object to that.

"Ding, baby. Aw yeah."

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Who's the register that's the cash machine for all the checks?

D I N G

You're daamn right

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

that's some vintage style STDH

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

There's a limit to how white you can write yourself before I suspect that's the goal. Way past that.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I went to school dressed in a sailor shirt and some [insert heated gamerword] called me Donald Duck. I SHIDDED and FARDED and CAMED without pants so he clapped and married me.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 13:24 on May 6, 2021

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I found the original post and lmao r/teenagers roasted him so hard he deleted his account

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

I actually believe every single word of this. He just perceived it a bit differently than everyone else did.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It is seriously more in line with the infamous oppa homeless style parody than with actual stdhs of the genre, so I suspect it's a fake stdh.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
That kid.. is inhuman

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Does anyone have the elder futhark rune story?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Do kids today even know who soulja boy is?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Skwirl posted:

Do kids today even know who soulja boy is?

He tried to release a videogame console a few years ago

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Len posted:

He tried to release a videogame console a few years ago

But no one bought it, so my point still stands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Skwirl posted:

But no one bought it, so my point still stands.

The type of kid that writes that story definitely knows of Soulja Boy from his videogame console

The kids he's trying to insult though? They've probably got no idea who the hell he's talking about