Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Ah yeah that adrenaline and excitement you get from not doing anything for so long. It's a well known fact for why lazy fucks can outperform Olympians.
I benched 500Kg my first time thanks to that very fact. But it used up all the adrenaline so I haven't been able do it since...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Energy is like money. If you save enough over time you can spend it all at once! That's how all the best athletes train.

Also adrenaline gives you super powers.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
such a great instance of somebody doubling down needlessly when they could have easily covered their rear end by being like "Oops sorry the 4 was a typo" or whatever. The craving for FB likes overrides the individual's common sense

^^Also lmao yeah, it's just so playground. GUYS I DID THIS AWESOME THING, wait you want to see me do it and won't just praise me based on my word? Well I can't do it again you guys lmao it was obviously too awesome and amazing the first time, you're all the dumb ones in this scenario laffo, heh

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Could've been solved with a "Okay not literally a four-minute mile, but I did run pretty fast for a chubster!"

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
A four minute kilometer would have been believable.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
From how pudgy they sound, I'd reckon a four minute meter would be more believable.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The term is Autistic-American or person of autism

fake edit: I have had this tab open a long time

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I think that person was running on a quarter-mile long track and thought one lap around was a mile. A 16 minute mile for someone with no training sounds pretty believable.

Prof. Spaceman
May 1, 2007

NOPE

I have no doubt that this arrogant turbodork is proud of not knowing one of the most significant musicians of the past half-century. But the proof that this S didn't H is that "Haircut Lady", a Prince fan,

DOESN'T

KNOW

HIS

FAVORITE

loving

COLOR

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
And shut-in nerds should at least know 1999 and Batdance. Like, he was part of Tim Burton's soundtrack for Batman. gently caress off!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Bobby Digital posted:

Now I am become ADD, the destroyer of focus

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Fixed that for you.

I'd say I hate both of you, but .................................................................................................................................................................................................................. But what were we talking about then?

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Voice

quote:

This troper met a man with a "compelling voice". When he talked every nerve in your body chilled starting at the spine and working it way to your fingertips. Being in a classroom we were relatively in a quiet place. (he was a sub) His voice made you want to tell him whatever he wanted to know. It was More Than Mind Control with hints of Happiness In Slavery. This man also causes amnesia when he talks apparently, because I was the ONLY one who could remember him saying anything. Along with all this he said I "Was very perceptive unlike my fellow classmates." When I actually summoned the guts to ask how to make my voice so monotone and emotionless he never really gave a clear answer. He made no attempts to hide that he thought I had "The gift" so to speak so he obviously thought I could do it. Or was that his voice persuading me that I can but really I can't. Ugh really confusing. The worst part was I KNEW I was being persuaded partly against my will the whole time I talked to him. (Which is a really creepy feeling) But in the end their was absolutely nothing that I could do about it.

Fans

quote:

Fans of something will often tell haters that they are missing the point, whether they are or not. If the movie was critically unpopular, then you get threads about how everyone is missing the point, whether they are or not.
This troper would like a book to be written with largely the same plot as Fahrenheit 451, except loaded with Gorn, disturbing sex scenes, and a Downer Ending that is both pointless and mentally disturbing. He would then like it to be sent to elementary schools. As soon as the faculty comes to the perfectly rational conclusion that this book is not suitable for young children, he wants the author to bash them for their decision, as banning a book about book-banning is obviously stupid and Completely Missing The Point, thus supporting the mentality that making a work about a subject is a Get Out Of Jail Free Card against that subject, no matter how much it may deserve it. (This is not a criticism of Fahrenheit 451, which is perfectly readable; this is a criticism of the belief that you can't ban the book if it has its subject matter.)

Paper

quote:

This troper actually had a college history professor require a paper written on one of many Hollywood movies based on ancient times. This troper was stuck with 300 and that. Exact. Same. Topic. In fact, this troper was so completely sick of his rhetoric on the subject that he went ahead and ripped the professor's theory to shreds in a calm and ordered way point by point. This troper then received an A on the paper, and never heard another fumbled argument on 300 in class again.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
Edit: nothing to see here

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Uh, can someone translate me this into English? I have no idea what that's supposed to mean. Who's Harry? :psyduck:

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

System Metternich posted:

Uh, can someone translate me this into English? I have no idea what that's supposed to mean. Who's Harry? :psyduck:

It took a sec for it to click for me, because I thought "1D" might've been some obscure sizing system, then realized it refers to boypop group 1 Direction. Harry is presumably a member. It should now make more sense but hooooly poo poo is it stupid.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
One Direction aren't gay. Or is that the joke, I'm not sure what makes that event so funny.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I logged even better than a four-minute mile on Endomondo once :smug: I forgot to turn it off while I was in the car :ssh:

e:

Marenghi posted:

One Direction aren't gay. Or is that the joke, I'm not sure what makes that event so funny.

I'm pretty sure one of them's gay, but I've only heard any of this from my 15-year-old 1D-fan baby cousin, who is coincidentally at that age where straight girls find gay guys to be sex on legs

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Marenghi posted:

Many fans of One Direction believe in an all-encompassing conspiracy theory that two of the members are gay and in love, despite all evidence to the contrary.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

a trolley posted:

Many fans of One Direction believe in an all-encompassing conspiracy theory that two of the members are gay and in love, despite all evidence to the contrary.

Pretty much. Girls have a fascination with the idea that their cute idols could be secretly smooching on one another. I thought it was a fairly recent thing but my mum assures me that there was lots of theorising about whether the members of Skyhooks or Sherbert were totally hooking up with each other and how hot that would be when she was a teen, so :v:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Pretty much. Girls have a fascination with the idea that their cute idols could be secretly smooching on one another. I thought it was a fairly recent thing but my mum assures me that there was lots of theorising about whether the members of Skyhooks or Sherbert were totally hooking up with each other and how hot that would be when she was a teen, so :v:

Symons/Braithwaite slash fiction :barf:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Kirk/Spock (Kock?) was the original slash pairing according to some sources, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were even older pairings.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
There have to be Victorian-era Holmes/Watson slashfics hidden somewhere.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I guarantee you somewhere in the world there's a buried cuneiform tablet containing hardcore Gilgamesh/Enkidu action.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

My Lovely Horse posted:

I guarantee you somewhere in the world there's a buried cuneiform tablet containing hardcore Gilgamesh/Enkidu action.

Well, I dunno about hardcore, but they already unearthed a bunch with Gilgamesh/Enkidu action and canonized it.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Paladinus posted:

Kirk/Spock (Kock?) was the original slash pairing according to some sources, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were even older pairings.

Socrates/Alcibiades OTP

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
Achilles/Patroclus/Hector love triangle.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
If the first recorded joke in history was a fart joke, there is no doubt that before they were written down many of the spoken epic tales became much more adult in select company.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

My Lovely Horse posted:

canon

Slightly Lions posted:

Achilles/Patroclus/Hector love triangle.

canon

Mr. Belpit posted:

There have to be Victorian-era Holmes/Watson slashfics hidden somewhere.

Sherlock Holmes fans have been loving insane since the first book was published, so yes, there probably are

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Forums grown STDH: Askme about pool hustling:

jase1 posted:

When I was 22 I was on the road with my 2 uncles Frank and Mike and we decided to stop at this biker bar in Virginia that my uncle had to been in his younger days. Don't remember the name of the bar but it was a wild one. I Remember walking in and it being very dim and smokey with a very strong stench of something dead or rotting. We walk in and it's packed and the whole place is dark except one little area in the back with a light hanging over a pool table. An old man with a beard and durag on was playing and I stepped up and asked if the table was open and he told me to grab a stick and lets shoot. I ask him if he likes to shoot for fun or money and he said money is the preference here. He knew right away I wasn't from there and he called me out on it. I smirked and said nothing and he said let start off with 20 a game. I lose the first 5 games to him and then tell him let me get a shot to win it all back. He agrees to play me one more match double or nothing. I figure now was the time to turn it on and start winning. I easily run out and he says run it again. He racks I break and run again putting me up 200. I ask him if he wants to run it again and he says yes but this time he wants to run it for 500. I tell him okay. He racks I break and miss and he almost runs out but misses on the ball before the 8. That leaves the table wide open and I win again. Now I am up 700 and feeling very cocky and my ego kicks in. I start talking a little trash to the old man. Making jokes about his age and so on and he gets a little frustrated and walks away. I Walk over to where my uncles are and start bullshitting with them and after a few minutes the old man walks back up and says he wants to shoot again. I tell him well you called me out so now you are gonna see what I can really do. Let's play for 1k. He thinks about it for a minute and he says ok but only if the loser kisses norma I tell him Ill kiss any woman in here after I win I don't give a poo poo. At this time about 6 or 7 of his friends start cheering and laughing. A little confused but I am in the zone and not thinking about that and start focusing on the break.

I get ready to break when there is quite a commotion coming from the back. I hear people laughing and girls start screaming and then like some type of magic the room just spreads and in all it's glory there was Norma. A huge loving gross pig that has one eye scared up and I swear was drooling and looked like it had a serious mental issue. I was afraid of that pig and I have no loving clue why now that I think back on it I had never seen one up close before only on tv and stuff and it just loving shook me. I didn't want to make out with a pig what loving disease would I get, would it bite me I had no loving clue. The dude got into my head and I made a terrible break and out of nowhere he ran all the balls out like a pro and the whole loving bar cheered. I walked over to frank white as a ghost almost sick to my stomach. I remember I instantly got indigestion and my stomach was burning because I was so stressed out not from losing 1k but having to follow through with this stupid pig kissing. Frank looked at me and said kid you got hustled and then asked if anyone had a camera he could buy off them because he wanted a picture of this moment. Thankfully no one did and after everyone calmed down the old man walked up to me I gave him 1k and asked how much more could I Pay to get out of it. He said there wasn't enough money in the world. I said gently caress it lets do this and walked over to the pig. I kneeled down and just as I was about to kiss a loving pig the old man stopped me and took a big bucket and put in front of the pig. Then every single person in the bar poured there opened beers into the bucket. instantly the pig just started lopping that poo poo up. I couldn't take it I was gonna puke for sure. They forced the pig to stop drinking and I leaned in and grabbed the pig by it's face and as soon as I got close enough he gave me a huge tongue bath all over my face and I puked in the bucket. Everyone went nuts as soon as I stood up the pig started eating from the beer and vomit fulled bucket and I threw up again on the floor. The last thing I remember was drinking a bottle of Jack and passing out in the back seat of my uncles car while they partied with the biker guys and the next morning I received and endless amount ball busting for that.

Tried it once and didn't like it. My good friend and previous bookie loves that stuff and won a trip to meet Jordy Nelson. I am not a knowledgeable sports guy I love my home teams and I love football but not enough to know every player. It's just not for me but I have nothing against it.

I would say maybe about 50 percent of that movie is accurate. The everyone has a nickname thing is spot on because everyone does. I very rarely call people by their real names. I went to wedding recently and it had assigned seating by name and some people were pissed because they thought they were sitting with strangers but it turned out they were sitting with their poker friends they just never knew their real names. The underground clubs in that movie were based on New York and I have never been to one of those so I am not sure how accurate but I have been to few underground poker games and usually they are just in a guys office or a vacant building or some place like that. I started playing in the back of a cigar store and I play a game right now that runs in the kitchen of a lebanese restaurant. I am one of the few who speak really good english there at that game but it's a goldmine for me because those guys have no clue how to play poker.. The play and personality of the different types of people at poker games was real good in my opinion.

I have no clue what this means. Craps is not a huge part of my gambling but when I do I only bet on the inside number 5,6,8,9. I bet those during a roll and adjust accordingly and I am a loser overall at the craps table. Looking at my spreadsheet craps last year in 2015 was about 5 percent of my gambling. Craps is more of a social thing with my gambling. I only play it if a roller is hot or I am there with a few friends.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
sweet cool mom-ing

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

bringmyfishback posted:

sweet cool mom-ing

Jesus lady, what the gently caress happened to "What do you say?"

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

bringmyfishback posted:

sweet cool mom-ing

Ok, Mom, why did you wait so long to instill manners in your brats? By five I had the magic words Please and Thank You engraved in my mind.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Why would you be proud of the fact that you've mastered 'please' and 'thank you', but not the ability to control your anger around people who can't read your mind?

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
Wolf

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

"lol ok"

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

kizudarake posted:

Forums grown STDH: Askme about pool hustling:

That's just scratching the surface of that guy's made up (or at the very least heavily, heavily embellished if you're feeling generous) stories. He's been posting those threads for years and just like the 50 foot ant spooky nazi ghost stories there are tons of goons who quickly make the mental jump from "it would be cool if this happened" to "I believe this actually happened" and will defend their stories to the death.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

I love picturing the blue guy as being some totally normal dude who has just started normaly dating a girl, and the red guy has concocted this crazy abusive scenario in his head to justify his obsession with the girl.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I think my favorite internet things ever are the long winded rants about what a bad rear end the writer is, they're the best

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Someone started sharing "The adult side of Tumblr" on my Facebook feed and it is ripe with STDH ( and clickbait).

I don't want to be all 'kids these days' but I can't help but wonder if a generation that grew up on participation trophies is especially prone to milking praise on Tumblr over the most mundane thing. They'll share a story of how they stood up for themselves or something and everybody is tripping over themselves on how awesome they are. Like they would have the guts to remind the MacDonald's employee they didn't want pickles in their Big Mac :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Panfilo posted:

Someone started sharing "The adult side of Tumblr" on my Facebook feed and it is ripe with STDH ( and clickbait).

I don't want to be all 'kids these days' but I can't help but wonder if a generation that grew up on participation trophies is especially prone to milking praise on Tumblr over the most mundane thing. They'll share a story of how they stood up for themselves or something and everybody is tripping over themselves on how awesome they are. Like they would have the guts to remind the MacDonald's employee they didn't want pickles in their Big Mac :rolleyes:

No, the vast majority of us knew those trophies were bullshit and hated them.