Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
STDH (poo poo That didn't Happen) is a proud Internet tradition whereby a story goes from plausible to ridiculous, primarily due to the way it is told. Saying "hi" to the cute cashier becomes an elaborate wedding proposal, if not a full-blown damsel in distress scenario where our Hero rescues the poor, petite girl from the ravening attacks of savages with his trusty katana. IOW, poo poo That Didn't Happen.

There are several popular types that reappear, so naturally we want to see and ridicule them. Classic types include, but are not limited to:

Adolf Einsteins These end with some version of"...and that child was...Adolf Hitler/Albert Einstein/John Kerry!" etc.

Inspirationals These come to your inbox/feed via dear grandma, Aunt Beth, or another credulous person. Misfortune arises, people suffer, but prayers make it all right. "And after we prayed all night, in the morning we saw that Billy had grown-- a whole new head!"

Romance People who have never even spoken to someone of the opposite sex love these. Someone threatens another person, and our hero steps in to save the day. These usually end with "and we're getting married tomorrow!"

However, there are some thing which resemble STDH but don't belong here, namely:

Jokes/Green Text Messages I know we're goons, but let's at least pretend we've been outside a couple of times, mmmkay?

STDH must be published on the Internet somewhere, so Uncle Joe's story about how he totally reamed Hitler while Charlie Chaplin filmed it doesn't belong here. Unless they got married.

Names don't belong. There's a thread for names. That's where La-a goes to be mauled to death by bears.

Where do I find STDH? Like the Force, STDH is all around us. It can be discovered on various social media outlets, Not Always Right and its affiliates, Reddit, Fark, and of course right here on our own beloved SA. I don't think there's a thread here that doesn't have some lurking in the comments. Every message board has some, too. A sharp eye and some patience will yield plenty of STDH.

Go forth, goons, and find STDH. Albert Hitler depends on you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
Another classic--33 pencils

quote:

Arguably, this Troper is probably the youngest of which who suffers from this Trope. This is practically the invisible label that's under the invisible Berserk Button of this 13-year old kid. He broke 33 pencils in his life, and had a good friend break two of those pencils because they were too hard. He even yelled at someone because that guy was the third person who asked if he could be punched for the third time, with a teacher only a mile ahead!

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
Emotionless

quote:

This troper is definitely not an Emotionless Girl, but rather a Hot Blooded Genki Girl with a side ordering of ham. Still, a lot of my energy is directed into being aggressive or competitive or manry. This troper also goes into a quivering coma whenever she encounters puppies, kittens, mice, baby animals of any sort, cats, romantic things, and hedgehogs. However, this troper is not very fond of children at all, though her feelings towards them are of apathy rather than outright hate.

Masculinity

quote:

This troper is secure enough in his masculinity that he will unabashedly do this. However, having a soft spot for animals, he's not limited to the standard "cute things". Among the things gushed over: boa constrictors, corn snakes, iguanas, baby alligators, Egyptian fruit bats, pissed off great-horned owls, kestrels, turkey vultures, hyenas, baboons, Tasmanian devils, tapirs, and, in general, many many animals that no one would consider cute. It has gotten this troper some weird looks, I'll tell you.

Cute

quote:

This troper is quite fond of dogs and giggles whenever she plays with her own. She didn't even know she was doing it till her sister pointed it out. With other dogs, particularly large ones, she is wont to say "You're such a handsome man/pretty lady, aren't you? YESYOUARE! *giggle*" Partly because large dogs can't really be described as cute, and partly because she thinks the awkward stares people give her are hilarious.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Mister Adequate posted:

Oh man I love this one:

"12/38 Today, for the first time ever, a woman saw my penis. I am 30 years old. The woman was my doctor. She snorted to cover a laugh and apologized. FML"

I kinda want to believe this really did happen actually, because it would be a hell of a thing if this dude's dick is so weird that a goddamn doctor loses her poo poo over it.

Either that, or it's pathetic.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
Pokemon

quote:

This Troper is a skilled player of competitive Pokemon, 75th place on the leaderboard at the time of posting this (out of 14,000+). For those not familiar with the game (or the competitive field of the game), good prediction of your opponent's moves is arguably the most important thing for a competitive battler to have. It's essentially two players of Xanatos Speed Chess. Which is precisely why I routinely make completely erratic and nonsensical moves. Most people either assume that they're facing a Noob or have their sense of prediction completely thrown off by this, allowing me to make the most crucial moves while hiding under a veil of Obfuscating Stupidity. As if that weren't enough, 5 out of my 6 team members are not in the standard tier, which is about as far as most players' knowledge of the individual Pokemon tactics stretches. Literally the only difference between the standard and Borderline tiers is popularity - there are some real gems in Borderline if you look hard enough and know what you're doing.

Power

quote:

This troper has used people so many times he feels guilty about it. One time, I flirted with my bully's girlfriend and then told him she was making moves on me. I actually cited evidence he could see, and they broke up. Another time, I made three visits to my principal highlighting the danger of drugs. I then rolled up some grass in a bit of paper and offered it to a druggie in my English class. He started smoking it in the back of the school, the exact area I warned the Principal to watch. It was too drat easy. And fun. I was actually told by my history teacher my brand of essentially governing one of my classes as second in command basically put me three steps away from real power. And I am currently reaching for that power...Don't worry, I am not about to institute a police state with myself as God. That is far too suspicious. I work in small little steps. The next step in the master plan is becoming adviser of Matt Smith, Vice principal of James Logan High School. Then I can REALLY administer justice. He does not have much of a sense for tact, therefore, he needs me around. First thing I am doing is getting rid of cursing.

Chessmaster

quote:

This lurker isn't one, but his friend is. As an example, he once managed to cause three break ups (all of unhappy relationships, although no one else picked up on the clues but him), shame a rival in front of the whole year, get a girl to go out with him and bring down a perverted teacher with the same gambit.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
Rosebush

quote:

This Troper was walking home at one point (waay back in high school) when I saw a girl I vaguely knew and had a massive unrequited crush on (she was a bit older than me, different school, and generally not in my circle) walking somewhere with a guy who was dropping a Cluster F Bomb at her, grabbing her and pushing her every few steps; she was trying to walk away, and he was yelling at her to slow down. I went up and started walking in their vague vicinity, asked "what's going on" and the guy ignored me to launch another cussword. When he pushed her, I told him to cut it out, and he told me to mind my own business. 'course, I didn't; instead, as we were going up a hill, and she was a bit ahead of him, I stepped right in between them and told the guy to back off. He said, "you do not want to square off with me," and I said, "No, I don't. But you are going to stop hitting girls." He gave some vague denials about "I never hit girls," and meanwhile the girl (I kind of kept a back-of-the-head glance behind me) slipped behind a rosebush into someone's yard. I just calmly stepped aside and the guy went right up the hill, missing her entirely. I met her later; she was breathing heavily and sobbing a bit, and I just gave her a hug for a few minutes. I wanted to kiss her, and at the time I didn't know why I didn't take the chance; I was pretty sure she'd have let me. I imagine it was my normally-incredibly-flexible conscience coming out of torpor.

Car

quote:

I know it's not to the scale of the rest of the hero's on this page but since he has to deal with the crutch of being an actual person, that it understandable. A friend of mine and classmate is a real life example of this trope. In the past year and a half, he has placed himself in situations where he has done poorly on exams, missed job interviews and gotten into some really rotten situations because when someone needs help, he always gives help. In fact, he often does it when a person doesn't ask for help, which is part of why he gets into trouble. However, when one of the people he had helped starting telling the story of how he helped her and what it had cost him and how he still continued to help people despite that, my friend, when asked why he did it, could only say, "I couldn't live with myself if I didn't help." That is why he's my friend.
By the way, the story of the girl he helped mentioned above is a perfect example of how he just gets screwed when helping people. The girl got really drunk. None of her friends wanted to deal with her. The guy wanted to make sure she got home OK. She started to cross the street as he was catching up to her when she stepped in the way of a car. He pulls her out of the way and in the process, gets swiped by the car himself. The car doesn't stop, he's on the curb and the girl is on her rear on the sidewalk. She starts screaming and we come by. She then tells us that he pushed her down after trying to feel her up. We only find out what really happened after she sobered up, remembered what really happened and then got over her embarrassment of it. Needless to say, it was a few months where we thought he was a creep. And yet, he still kept helping people. That is Chronic Hero Syndrome. I wish more people had it like he did.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Verisimilidude posted:

Hello new thread!

I read the long part in Scarlet Johanson's voice.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
The ones you've all been waiting for: Cloudcuckoolanders are here now.

Spoons

quote:

This troper is a Cloudcuckoolander, if a rather anti-social one. To date, some of her more cuckoolandery hijinks are: sharpening spoons to use as weapons in case of a zombie apocalypse; coming up with an elaborate conspiracy that involved the government contracting a mercenary army of raccoons to assassinate her; starting a blood feud with the squirrel that lives in her front yard; making a utopia city by using the dirt and clay from her mother's front garden; and last but not least, going to a costume party as a semi-colon, while her equally crazy friend went as an exclamation point, half way through the party, staged an elaborate argument that made it seem like a giant semi-colon and found her giant exclamation point boyfriend cheating on her with the Tooth Fairy. I Am Not Making This Up.

Letters

quote:

This troper, since birth. When she was a kid, she'd look at the letters of the alphabet and think they had emotions (A looked happy, B looked kinda pissed off, C looked happy etc.). Come to think of it, she still kinda sees it. Also, one time her iPod headphones were knocked off and she shouted "My glasses!". And those are just specific cases she can remember at the moment. She constantly goes into Brief Accent Imitation, gives aside glances to an invisible "camera", and has really weird crushes...
Regarding the first, maybe she should look up synesthesia?

Evita

quote:

This troper had a high school Spanish teacher that also fell into this trope. She had a tendency to break into song spontaneously, especially Evita (one time, in fact, the principal came into her room as she was erasing the blackboard and singing "Don't Cry For Me, Argentina." The principal just watched for a while. Also, she had a fetish for plastic vegetables, most notably a supposedly "Happy Asparagus" that she threw at people who acted out in class. I could not even make this stuff up.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
Gems

quote:

Some gems from classes I've substituted for:
To students passing through my room from outside to the inner hall: "This is a toll room, give me a quarter!"
To a student wearing a cap backwards: "The last time wearing a hat like that didn't look completely stupid was The Eighties, and I don't think you were born yet!" (He wasn't)
To two kids who were arguing: "Quit doing that, before I take you outside and make you duel with cream pies!"
After being forced to show a Narmtacular movie: "That was so bad it broke the universe."
Does doing a lesson on comparative monomyths, comparing The Canterbury Tales and Dragon Quest IV, count?
Student: "You're really tall." Me: "Or everyone else is really short."
Immediate first thought: "I'll ignore one height crack. One."
"Don't get run over by football players!"
To a sick student: "Please don't puke on your fellow students. It's unsanitary."
To a student who said the room smelled funny: "Since it's an agribusiness class, maybe the smell was put there to add verisimilitude."
Regarding people playing iPods too loud: "If I had it to do over again, I would become an audiologist. I'd have lots of customers."
To two girls on the opposite side of a cabinet from me: "You guys aren't doing anything inappropriate over there that someone would want to film, are you?"
"Given the realities of biology, it would actually make more sense for women to wear pants and men to wear dresses."

Lorry

quote:

This Troper had a couple of these in secondary school (about the same as high school if you're American);
My RE teacher was a bit off, putting a class on hold because of the presence of a bee and claiming the Church Of Scientology was out to get her (although the former was because of an allergy and the later sounded semi-plausible).
My Geography and ICT teacher, Mr. Soden, enjoyed taking control of random students' computers and shaking their mouse around, he also gave this memorable exchange;
*I have just explained that my computer has just stopped working and asked if he knew what the problem was*
Mr. Soden: What happens when a lorry does this *he slides his hands along the desk until it reaches a wall*
Me: Er...it's crash-*realisation*...oh

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
Armor

quote:

This troper once re-told the entire World War II as if it was a Wuxia-like martial arts movie, and mixing it with Dragon Ball Z, to the point the story ended with Super-Churchill fighting Perfect Hitler, destroying the world, and finding the last christmas tree to ask Shenron for a christmas miracle. Also, he had an entire conversation in alliteration, created a suit of armor out of AOL CDs "just in case", spent an entire day practising dramatic poses in front of a mirror and has had friends point out how all of Osaka's antics where done by him in highschool and junior high, sometimes event-for-event or sometimes something that's really analogous but not japanese (Like, opening packets of ketchup with his mouth without making a mess instead of splitting chopsticks neatly), to the point she's considered his race-lifted, fictional, Distaff Counterpart.

Sister

quote:

This troper's little sister's best friend, and to a lesser extent the sister herself. In their defense, they're both ten years old (and this troper's 22. Read into that what you will.). Incidentally, the sister has some... anger issues. This troper shamelessly admits to setting her off on purpose. And reading that makes it look like this troper has some tendencies toward Cloudcuckooland himself.

Tomatoes

quote:

When Cloudcuckoolanders collide: This troper was in a car with Mom, sister, and a friend who is one of the Founding Mothers of Cloudcuckooland. Said friend spontaneously asked, "What's the smallest number that is also a color?" While everyone else just went Huh? in awkward silence, I very quickly came back with "Ver-million!" and we all had a good laugh.
Also, the other day I found that one of the tomatoes I brought to work for snacking purposes had developed a curiously star-shaped patch of mold. So I carried it around to the other people in my department and told them "Tomato says Merry Christmas!" Good thing it's a casual office.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

moerketid posted:

poo poo that did happen:

I was having a general abdominal ultrasound a few weeks ago. The nice operator lady piped up "Oh, you have a lovely spleen!"

It's not quite as good as a pristine vagina but I'll take it.

To me, 'pristine vagina' means one that has never seen use of any type. I guess that's a fancy way for saying she's a virgin.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
Voice

quote:

This troper met a man with a "compelling voice". When he talked every nerve in your body chilled starting at the spine and working it way to your fingertips. Being in a classroom we were relatively in a quiet place. (he was a sub) His voice made you want to tell him whatever he wanted to know. It was More Than Mind Control with hints of Happiness In Slavery. This man also causes amnesia when he talks apparently, because I was the ONLY one who could remember him saying anything. Along with all this he said I "Was very perceptive unlike my fellow classmates." When I actually summoned the guts to ask how to make my voice so monotone and emotionless he never really gave a clear answer. He made no attempts to hide that he thought I had "The gift" so to speak so he obviously thought I could do it. Or was that his voice persuading me that I can but really I can't. Ugh really confusing. The worst part was I KNEW I was being persuaded partly against my will the whole time I talked to him. (Which is a really creepy feeling) But in the end their was absolutely nothing that I could do about it.

Fans

quote:

Fans of something will often tell haters that they are missing the point, whether they are or not. If the movie was critically unpopular, then you get threads about how everyone is missing the point, whether they are or not.
This troper would like a book to be written with largely the same plot as Fahrenheit 451, except loaded with Gorn, disturbing sex scenes, and a Downer Ending that is both pointless and mentally disturbing. He would then like it to be sent to elementary schools. As soon as the faculty comes to the perfectly rational conclusion that this book is not suitable for young children, he wants the author to bash them for their decision, as banning a book about book-banning is obviously stupid and Completely Missing The Point, thus supporting the mentality that making a work about a subject is a Get Out Of Jail Free Card against that subject, no matter how much it may deserve it. (This is not a criticism of Fahrenheit 451, which is perfectly readable; this is a criticism of the belief that you can't ban the book if it has its subject matter.)

Paper

quote:

This troper actually had a college history professor require a paper written on one of many Hollywood movies based on ancient times. This troper was stuck with 300 and that. Exact. Same. Topic. In fact, this troper was so completely sick of his rhetoric on the subject that he went ahead and ripped the professor's theory to shreds in a calm and ordered way point by point. This troper then received an A on the paper, and never heard another fumbled argument on 300 in class again.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

bringmyfishback posted:

sweet cool mom-ing

Ok, Mom, why did you wait so long to instill manners in your brats? By five I had the magic words Please and Thank You engraved in my mind.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
Wolf

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
Virgin

http://imgur.com/a/as1H7

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
Sext

http://imgur.com/a/kSBOF

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
Star Wars

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
Soles

This covers pages but is worth it

http://imgur.com/a/hQndk

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
Coffee

http://imgur.com/a/4tQYT

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

duckmaster posted:

Of all the words that people constantly spell wrong this is the one that annoys me most.

What, 'daaaate'?

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
Pats

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
Twilight

quote:

I used to be pretty bad about this. I had decided my opinion about several things before I watched them. I finally quit it wean I watched the first Twilight movie.

Agnostic

quote:

Once a friend of mine asked a second friend why he had chosen to be agnostic. For some reason a girl flipped out and started ranting about how people should choose and added "Why would you choose to be Christian?" and then said a lot of stuff about why Christianity was bad. This troper replied, "Yeah! For instance why would someone choose to be Buddhist?" The girl (who was a Buddhist) kicked this troper's shin and said (in a perfectly serious and angry voice), "It's rude to mock other people's religions, rear end in a top hat!" This troper suffered a Heroic BSOD upon hearing that and spent several minutes trying opening and shutting his mouth while pointing at her and making gurgling noises.

Matrix

quote:

This troper's brother's friend's sister once complained that she didn't like The Matrix because they were always moving so slowly.

Plot

quote:

"I hated the plot of Passion of the Christ, I honestly thought it was stale and overdone (Oh wow, the main character dies for the greater good of humanity, how many times has THAT been done), but at least the characters sounded realistic and they got the languages right..."

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
Girls

quote:

My best friend believes his female best friend tries to destroy his love life by giving him bad advice and comments regarding the girls he like so she can date him...despite having rejected him some time ago. This troper likes to believe that she (along with his ex-girlfriend) are plotting against him too.

Coincidences

quote:

Some things That have heppened that I have seen or been told: 1) Two people not only lived in the same town, worked in the same company, but when each moved, without knowing, had moved to within two houses of one another. 2) Someone not making their plane, only to find out that the connector had been canceled and they would have been stranded RIGHT AFTER they bought a new flight the next day. 3) A person's car stalled when they put their foot on the gas. Good thing, too, or they would hev been hit by the ambulance running the lights without its lights/siren on. and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Grandmother

quote:

This troper's retired ex-English teacher grandmother sailed to Greece from England by herself... AFTER having a severe stroke that partially paralysed one arm and one leg. Been to every anti-war march since time immemorial. Once her house was burgled, and an ex-student was the policeman who came to take her statement—but his spelling was so atrocious she refused to sign it until he'd gone back to the station and fixed every error... which he then did. Has burned her own house down twice, wrecked another person's house once, and once climbed in through the second floor bathroom window when this troper's parents were sharing the tub, because she'd forgotten her keys. Top that. I dare you.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
Someone requested more Not Always Right.

Movie

quote:

Acting R-Rated In A PG Movie
MOVIE THEATER | CA, USA | BAD BEHAVIOR, MOVIES & TV, RUDE & RISQUE
(At least one usher is required to stand by the door slightly before the movie ends, to prevent people from going out the emergency exit and setting off the alarm. It is an afternoon showing of a very popular children’s movie, and the entire upper part of the theater is packed with adults and their respective children. The ‘pit’ seats closest to the screen are completely empty, that being too close for most people. I’m scanning the crowd, as the final scene of the movie starts to play, when I notice some arm rests down in the pit have been pushed up. Since we reset them after every show, I head down the steps to see what’s happened, and if there’s going to be any mess to clean up. Laid out across the seats are two teenagers “going at it.” I am shocked, but know the movie is about to end, and an entire slew of children are about to get an eye load when they stand up and the lights come up. I approach the couple, completely at a loss of what to say.)

Me: “Excuse me… can you not?” *not the most professional thing ever, but I have not been trained on how to deal with this*

Boy: *looking up at me, annoyed* “I’m almost finished.”

Me: “Can you not?!”

(I stay crouched right next to their heads, refusing to give them any privacy, though, doing it at a packed performance, I’m not sure privacy is what they were after.)

Girl: “UGH!”

(She pushes the boy off her, and he rolls onto the floor, adjusting his situation and zipping his pants up. She adjusts her skirt, sits up, then walks out of the theater before the movie’s even over.)

Boy: “HMPH!”

(He glared and sat through the entire credits, and didn’t leave until the rest of the usher staff came in. I reported the situation to my managers, but there was nothing we could really do, by then.)

Flight

quote:

Going Off On Flights Of Fancy
BUS COMPANY | REYKJAVIK, ICELAND | CRAZY REQUESTS, CRIMINAL & ILLEGAL
(I work at a sales desk at a bus company and we have to answer the phones as well. We provide an airport shuttle so we follow the landing times at the airport when picking up passengers. One night a woman phones in:)

Me: “[Bus Company]; good evening.”

Customer: “Hi. My friend is flying in from [Country]. When will she be home?”

Me: “Well, according to our information there are two flights coming in today from [Country]. Do you know which airline she is flying with?”

Customer: “No, can’t you look it up for me?”

Me: “No, ma’am. This is a bus company. I have no access to another company’s system, and I am pretty sure that would violate some privacy laws. If you can tell me when you were expecting her, during the day, morning, afternoon, or evening, I could help you make an educated guess, but I still cannot answer for the flight company as I only work for a bus company.”

Customer: “I used to work for your company many years ago and we did this all the time! She is my friend and neighbour! Just look it up for me!”

Me: “I am sorry, ma’am. I really cannot. This company does not have access to passenger lists of other companies nor is it legal even if I had the information.”

(The customer continues with a four-minute rant about poor customer service and this would not have been a problem when she had worked there. I politely suggest that maybe she should take a nice evening stroll over to her friends place and see if she’s home.)

Customer: “Why didn’t I think of that!? Still poor customer service; I still have to get out of my house to be sure!” *slams down phone*

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
Kiss

]quote]This troper's first-grade teacher loved to put lipsticky kiss marks on all the little boys' cheeks. Sometimes this was for "holiday decoration," like when she used green lipstick on St. Patrick's Day. Other times it was used as punishment for kids who hated it. A few of us refused to be kissed under any circumstances, and learned how to dodge. She stopped doing it halfway through the year, after one particularly stubborn refuser gave her a black eye.
[/quote]

Glock

quote:

This troper has trained in using and caring for several firearms, to the point of being able to make a headshot with a Glock from 20 yards mid-stride (and is drat PROUD of it), all in case this troper is ever in an extreme survival situation (zombies, on run from government, secretly forced into centuries old assassin society, ect.). The current flaw lies in the fact this troper does not own a gun. But seriously, if the poo poo hit the fan, this troper could find one. After all, this troper is a U.S. citizen.

Classmate

quote:

This editor has a classmate at law school who apparently has anything and everything in his bookbag: You need a pen, he has one. Someone else also needs a pen, he takes out a second one. A person needs a red pen, he takes out a red pen. No, wait, you needs a blue pen, here it is. You forget the power adaptor for your computer, he happens to be carrying that exact model of power adaptor with him. A professor once asked if anyone had a print-out of an e-mail she sent us, he takes it out and hands it to her (her response was "I should have seen that coming.") If you say you're hungry, he takes out a bag of jelly babies. The first guess was that he was the Doctor and the bag is his TARDIS but he has demonstrated this is simply because he is crazy-prepared. When a professor was talking about living wills, it turned out this student had one. He then went on to describe it. It covered almost every situation you could think of. It even made several clauses about what should be done if he joined a cult or otherwise was not of sound mind, with notes on how to determine when this had happened. This could explain why he seems to have so many random skills, he's simply prepared in case he needs them.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
Intellect

Applebee's

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

True love: Being called a mass murderer.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
Nice

Birthday

http://imgur.com/a/1f5ZW

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

kimbo305 posted:

That's one of the things you get issued when you become a Kingsmen.

So, it's not a Detachable Penis tree, where you pick the one that suits your mood and attire for the day?

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
Novel

quote:

This troper has been working on a fantasy novel for a few years. Two of those years were spent being hounded by a sadistic jerkass who enjoyed following me around and claiming to believe things that I consider disgusting, or attributing them to me, in an attemt to anger me into attacking him and getting in trouble, or shouting and yelling, and destroying my reputation. All those who had once been my friends found him hilariously funny, and all the grownups claimed that I should turn the other cheek, and let him he would come to a sticky end. I am convinced that he and his laughing torture represent the next great evil, and he will become a tyrant on the scale of Augustus, Hitler, and Mao. I also believe that he was an aggressive drug dealer, but could not prove it as his admissions were buried between claims that he or I was a Nazi or a slaver, among many others. During that time, the main villain of my book gained a new Dragon, based on this demon, who singlehandedly breaks the PG-13 I usually hold myself to, and dies 2 humiliating deaths. Ironically, I think this may greatly improve my book. and if he does take over, I will lead La Resistance

Child

quote:

u
This troper apparently was one of these— she had quite the vocabulary as a little child, along with an anxiety disorder and what seemed to be an adult's intellect. Cue a seven year old schoolgirl acting like a borderline sociopathic adult. Looking back, I never did anything particularly violent (except for a deeply disturbing fascination with war) but I could not have been fun to be around. (I do however remember writing stories, frequently in the style of creepy Edwardian children's books, that involved much murder, creepy quintuplets, vengeful little girls and people getting killed and left in swamps. These books were illustrated. And yet, my mother's only response was "very nice, dear...") Also, I disturbingly resembled an Anne Frank clone with a monobrow, as I refused to smile for photographs. (And, um, had a monobrow. There's also a baby photo of me out there where I look like a ravening zombie, covered with red... something, that creeps out even me.)
This same troper also had a close friend who was sallow-skinned and skinny, with curly dark hair and jet-black eyes. Who rarely spoke, lived in a big Victorian house almost entirely alone with a rarely-seen 'father' and drew incredibly creepy pictures— and then wrote all over them "in tongues". In blood. His own blood. It's a pity that once I got to know him better, he turned out to be a garden variety Ralph Wiggum— drat! It would have been awesome to be best friends with a kid Antichrist...

Bully

quote:

This troper was a very creepy, messed up little kid, now that he looks back. He remembers a particularly ghastly incident when a bully was harassing a friend of his. He went up to the bully one day at recess, snuck up right behind him and yelled, "I WANNA RIP YOUR ARMS OFF!!!!" The bully screamed and peed his pants. Then there was the time with the fake blood...shudder...

Bat

quote:

A kid in my neighborhood is slowly starting to become one of these he used to be a rather innocent hyperactive kid who was always running away from his parents, later on he became like a stray cat because whenever someone shows the slightest bit of kindness to him he won't leave them alone this shouldn't be a surprise because he comes from a BigScrewedUpFamily who barely pays attention to him, he's always running away from home and following people around on his bike, recently he has shown some rather disturbing behavior on day he went to one family and shouted "your mom's a loving slut and your all a bunch of queers" we can only imagine his dad told him to say that because his dad's been quite hosed up in the head lately, girls have recently been pulled from his mom's daycare because he harasses them and tells them to take off their clothes (we wonder why his mom has a daycare when she barely looks after her own kids), another time he went into a neighbor's house and smashed their antique vases and he picked up their pug dog and threw it into the street they said it came very close to dying because it was bleeding from the ears and the vets were just barely able to save it, and another time he hit a baby girl with a baseball bat and grabbed a little boy by the balls and when asked why he did those things he said "because I felt like it" and after letting go of the boy's crotch says to him "how does that feel?", another time at the fair he was poking a rabbit in the eyes and I told him to stop but he wouldn't, the most disturbing part of this he's only six years old.

Nipples

quote:

There was this very messed up kid who went to my school for a brief time, he was very short and kind of ugly, he had no friends basically because he was mean to everyone, he was very disruptive in class often shouting curse words for no reason, in art class he drew violent pictures of people killing each other, he cut out his own nipples with a knife because he thought they were too girly and also cut off his eyelashes for the same reason, he openly told the class he would come out with a gun and kill everyone right in the middle of a lesson (this was before Columbine), he brought a knife to school and terrorized the students at the playground he even stabbed one of them in the leg, he was very aggressive in gym he once beat someone up because they served him a bad pitch during a kickball game, during a water party he was sprayed and he went crazy, he ripped off his shirt and attacked the person who sprayed him, he was eventually expelled and taken away for treatment for his behavior problems, he later came back a few years later to see if his behavior had improved needless to say he blew it and was once again expelled, recently I heard that he had spent quite some time in a halfway house and his behavior improved greatly.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

And then the boy yells, "Mom! Stop it!"

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

genetic_knockout posted:

I was thinking Archie Comic myself :hfive:

E: Have some content for the new page

Are they married yet?

Friends

quote:

My friend is going to perform an experiment. He is randomly going to shout out "DEAD PUPPIES!" when it's silent and see how many people laugh.
My friends and I were bored in class one day and decided to have a contest: who could think up the most offensive concept? Unfortunately, the first suggestion was "Columbine: The Musical" which meant that everyone else was laughing too hard to submit other entries.
I hummed "it's rainning men" during the scene in Schindler's list when the soot and ashes fall down. I am going to hell.

Sing

quote:

It wasn't exactly a crowd, and we didn't sing the whole song, but this troper once found herself in the situation of singing along with a stranger who initiated a song (I guess he was the main character or something). It was at a Renaissance Faire of all places, and we were just taking a break in the picnic area, sharing a table with a couple who were having a friendly debate about something. We paid no attention to them until the man suddenly looked straight at us and burst out singing: "Springtime for Hitler and Germany!" Naturally, we joined in with "Winter for Poland and France!" The guy turned to the woman and said "See? Everyone knows that song."

Police

quote:

This troper and his friends, after copious amounts of tequila, gathered in a friend's garage to celebrate his 19th birthday and eventually broke into renditions of both "Never Gonna Give You Up" and "Carry on Wayward Son", until the police were called.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
Fedora Spotted

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
Orgasm

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
Spam

quote:

This troper was in astronomy class when the teacher decided to play the Universe Song by... you guessed it, Monty Python. The song ends, and the CD moves on into the Spam Song. Teacher goes to turn it off, and two entire rows scream "NO!". Everyone turns to stare at the rows, who proceed to sing along, with one providing the "Spam, spam, spam, spam" and other other providing "Wonderful spam, lovely spam!" This troper was in the "spam, spam, spam, spam" row. The non-singing student beside her edged his desk away.

Texas

quote:

If you live in Texas, chances are you've experienced at least one instance of someone starting to sing "The stars at night/are clear and bright..." and then one or multiple other parties joining in with the appropriate *clap clap clap CLAP* "Deep in the heart of Texas!" A particularly awesome example occured when this troper was at the Revolve tour (a giant all-girls Christian concert event) and the entire crowd of almost two thousand teenage girls and their moms finished the song after the announcer's tentative prompt. I Am Not Making This Up

Acting

quote:

This troper's acting class (which basically consists of the best actors in the school and three or four kids doing it just for credit) was doing a unit on musical theatre, and one of the girls brought in the soundtrack for Wicked that she was using for her song. After the first batch of students finished up and we started to put the classroom back in order, for the last 10 minutes or so she played the CD. It ended with about ten people all singing along to "Popular", with this troper dancing by the singers with a hat he was taking back to the costume closet. He finished off the song himself with the final note, which he decided to sustain long after everyone else stopped.
Said acting class also took a field trip to see a production of Kiss Me, Kate at the theatre near the Orlando Science Center. On the bus ride there, we got at least half the bus to start singing along to various songs by N*Sync and the Backstreet Boys.

Choir

quote:

As a choir/theatre kid, I've been involved in more than one of these. My personal favorite was during a pre-rehearsal dinner when a kid I was sitting with started softly singing "Stand by Me" by Ben E. King. I started singing the bass line, and soon other kids were beatboxing, harmonizing on the melody, and stacking chords on top of my bass line. Eventually we had all 40 kids either singing the melody, harmonizing, or acting as backup vocals.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

This raises so many questions. Like, how old is our protagonist? What gender? And why was Dad under the bed?

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
I sincerely hope this idiot really tries this. Assuming the horse doesn't hurt him, the owner will.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
Cocky

Shifty

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
Bayonet

quote:

This Troper's own CMOA came about six months ago. I was working in the basement garage on my car, which had broken down due to some battery and engine problems. Nothing big. I'm not exceedingly mechanically inclined, but I could fix this stuff. I was home alone, and I hear some noises from upstairs. I knew my folks weren't due to be home until about 23:00 and it was only 21:00 (yeah I work on the 24-hour clock, I find it more efficient), so something was up. I go into the downstairs living room, and spot the Lee-Enfield rifle my great-grandfather used in the Great War on the mantleplace, with it's foot and a half-long bayonet and scabbard beneath it. I pick up the bayonet, place the scabbard on my belt and sheath it, then go upstairs. I hear voices. Looking up from the stairs, I see some kids, maybe 13-14 years of age, dressed up 'gangsta' and rummaging through the kitchen cabinets. They seemed to be searching for liquor. I went up the stairs into the kitchen and, in my loudest drill instructor voice (I'm in the Royal Canadian Air Cadets, you see, a sort of youth military group) I asked them what the hell they were doing in my house. They told me to show them where the booze cabinet was, if I knew what was good for me. I said no, and told them to get out of my house. The 'leader' of sorts said he was going to mess me up and flicked out this little 4 inch pocket knife. I decided the best response was a Gran Turino quote. I replied "You ever met that one guy you shouldn't have hosed with? That's me" and then I unsheathed the 43 inch bayonet and held it up with my best Crocodile Dundee grin. Their faces paled and then promptly ran as fast as they could down the stairs and out the front door. I didn't see any reason to phone the police.

Purse

quote:

This Troper's mother had one years before even meeting his father. She was on her earlier thirties, and was on a turistic bus tour with her parents, her brother and her sister (The bus had two floors, my mom was with her sister on the first one while the rest was on the top one). Suddenly, she notices a guy on the seat in front of her slipping his hand into the purse of the woman sitting besides him, and to top it off, she notices that he and the driver where in cahoots. Cue my mon standing up and threathning the thief physically (she told me she actually punched him), then walking to the driver and demanding him to drive them to the closest police station or else she would "break his arms and drive there (herself)". He would have stood up to her, but by that time, everyone on the bus noticed what was happening and were on the verge of lynching the guys.

Cord

quote:

I had one a day ago, and I feel great just thinking about it. A classmate nearby was spewing insults about me like there was no tommorow crackhead and human being being among them, and it was starting to piss me off. So i got an electric cord for my laptop and whipped it on the desk in front of him with a loud snap, silencing the entire class. He looked up at into my face and I said, calm as ever,
This troper: Shut up, or i'm going to go Simon Belmont on your rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
Costco

quote:

One day my family went to Costco, and while we were loading up the car, I knocked over my mother's soda. She told me to go back in and get her a Diet Coke. I got her a regular. While I was returning from my second trip inside, I saw her start to pull the car away. Cue me running after the car, jumping on the ledge in front of the trunk and grabbing onto the roof rack, all without dropping the soda in one hand. Needless to say, she stopped when she realized I was holding onto the back.

Matrix

quote:

This troper was a sort expert on the "dodge" part of Dodgeball. Dodging, literally, front, right, and center, he was constantly pulling off Matrixesque maneuvers left and right. The end of nearly every match would accumulate to his teammates demanding he "quit" and be hit so a new game could begin. Adding to the fact that he is overweight and should be an easy target, he proved that whoever wasn't on his side couldn't hit the broad side of barn. He has two notable CMOAs:
A popular game-with-a-game he invented would be to sneak over to the other side of the dodgeball court and pretend to be on the enemy team; conversing with his opponents about the game or the "enemy" team was commonplace. While his team cheered him on and laughed their collective rear end off, he would steal their ball, tag them out, and run back to his side leaving the tagee with a very confused look on their face.
After dodging a cannon inches away from him via a Matrix-move that could only have been more perfect if his spine was flexible, he walked away as cockily as possible. After noticing a shift in the nearby shadows and a teammate yelling, "Look out!", instinct took over and he ducked down, dodging the cannon from the same man from before (who was still mere feet away) without ever seeing it coming.

Rock

quote:

This troper has two friends who recalls a CMOA after an anime convention. The two of them were harassed by a few jerks due to their cosplay. As the jerks are driving off, one of the friends picks up a rock and throws it exclaiming "GO GEODUDE!".

Mouse

quote:

More like a Crowning Moment of Irritation than Awesome, but... this troper's house is unfortunately infested with mice. One such mouse got trapped in his room, and despite all his efforts to kill the little bugger, its still around. One night, as if to mock his pathetic efforts to eradicate it, it somehow climbed on top of his bed and did a little dance on his stuffed tiger collection. Yes, a little mouse bested this troper using a Humiliation Conga.