Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Mass Effect thread here

I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel
Mass Effect 2 was released in January 2010 for Xbox/PC and for PS3 in January 2011. Continuing the story of Commander Shepard after the events of Mass Effect, it begins a month after Shepard and crew defeat Sovereign, the vanguard of the Reapers - sentient machines that show up every 50,000 years to wreck everyone's day. After the success of the original ME it released to glowing reviews and to this day is considered by many to be the best entrance in the trilogy. Bioware changed a lot of things for 2, most of them for the better. The graphics got a shitton better and they really limited the crap you get in your inventory. Leveling up also got simplified and some of the dumb poo poo like needing someone with an encryption skill in your party to unlock stuff got axed which really frees up your choices for party members. They removed the cooldown system on weapons and replaced it with ammo. They also switched to a universal cooldown on powers; you can't use any power until your cooldown expires which means less biotic spam (sad). You can now create combos which result in big explosions, but getting them to trigger can be a pain in the rear end unlike in 3 where you are comboing all the time off of every goddamn thing. The PS3 version that we're playing comes with all the DLC missions and even the rare promotional weapons/armor since we got it a year late. I bought a couple of cosmetic packs too, so you might see characters sporting some funny outfits.

Since this is a sequel, many of your choices from the first game carry over if you import a character. In addition to continuity of story, you also get bonuses for importing to your XP, Paragon/Renegade score, and resources. Many of the "interactions" of previously-met people involve getting emails from them at your private terminal (most hilariously your own mother if you went with the Spacer origin) so you don't actually see them again. However, we purposely did some stuff in the first game so we would see folks again and they turn up in different places. There's a new mechanic known as an "interrupt" where you can, well, interrupt people in the middle of something with a Paragon or Renegade action. Lots of times the Renegade option involves punching or killing somebody in a hilarious way to shut them up. The only thing I don't like about this is that the prompt doesn't last very long and usually cuts dialogue short where you might have wanted to hear something.

Most importantly, Bioware included the ability for Shep to get drunk all the goddamn time, which is the basis for this LP.

I can't target them!
The biggest upgrade to ME2 is gameplay. Getting into cover is much more responsive and can be done with a button press instead of humping a wall or barrier. You don't have to crouch first, Shep will do it automatically when going into cover behind something waist-high. They also added some neat things like Tech Armor for Sentinels, which can tank a shitload of damage and then explode, hurting and knocking back enemies within range. And then there's the vanguard charge, the best thing to come along since the invention of videogames. This involves smashing yourself face-first into an enemy at high velocity, either killing them outright or seriously loving them up. It's the whole reason we went with vanguard in the first place. The only downside (as far as I'm concerned) with vanguard is that the targeting can be a bit wonky and it's possible to get yourself stuck on things with no way to get off, resulting in needing to reload the previous save.

Other improvements include being able to order squadmates to position individually as well as binding powers for them to use on command. You're also able to bind 3 powers using a controller instead of the single one in ME. Powers only have 4 levels and if you take a power to level 4 you have the option to "evolve" it - making it do one of two things that provide a different bonus.

Assuming direct control
ME2 gives you a huge squad you can recruit, 12 if you get all the optional/DLC people. Each one will have their own loyalty mission like Wrex did in 1, and like that mission if you choose not to do it (or gently caress it up in a few circumstances) then that squadmate will not be loyal and it can have bad repercussions in the end game. Sometimes this will affect a loyal character so if you don't know what you're doing it's best to consult a walkthrough or wiki. We'll be recruiting everyone and doing their loyalty missions. In addition, if you make bad choices during the last mission people can die, aka sending Thane through the vents.

Drunk off our butts
I decided to try something new and fun (hopefully) for this LP. Each update will have its own themed drink. Your mission should you choose to accept it, will be to make the drink and consume it while watching the video. Sometimes a drinking game will be involved. I will post the ingredients required a couple of days prior to the next episode. There will also be a simplified drink for each update in case you're unable or can't be arsed to get some liquor you might never use again. If you're really cheap or poor and still want to play along then get yourself a 40 for 3 bucks and pound it.

Updates
RIP Butts Shepard 2154-2183 (post)
Veetoriffic (post)
Ship of tools (post)
What a pisshole (post)
The very model of a scientist Salarian (post)
Vorcha merchandise doesn't sell (post)
Rust, dust, and a bust (post)
K/G/B (post)
My favorite store on the Citadel (post)
Jailhouse Rock (post)
Getting the blues (post)
Bone Zone (post)
Just happily drunk (post)
Event Horizon (post)
Whine and cheese party (post)
Everything old is new again (post)
Just need to vent (post)
Migrant Fleet Enema (post)
A great biotic wind (post)
Work is the curse of the drinking class (post)
The family jewels are in Hock (post)
Peas in a pod (post)
2 live crew (post)
Puberty Love (post)
UHC Tuchanka style (post)
Galaxy's greatest dad (post)
Niket in the bud (post)
Make Zakera Ward Great Again (post)
Sidequest cleanup, aisle 6 (post)
Inspectre gadget (post)
Riding the whip on a sick rear end ship (post)
More like Dead Pirate Roberts (post)
Take work to your daughter day (post)
Cerberus Camp for Wayward Children (post)
Harkin back to days of yore (post)
Ina Godda da Vido (post)
Random poo poo (post)
Identify Friend or F- oh gently caress (post)
Quarian kangaroo court (post)
(God)winning the war with the Geth (post)
Going viral (post)
Suicide hotline, please hold (post)
How babby is formed (post)
Another quality Cerberus project (post)
gently caress Cerberus (post)
That's for Mindoir, bitches (post)

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Important things

How to vanguard:

Skoolmunkee's awesome ME2 coloring book. If anyone wants to color some pictures and upload them I'll post them here
http://www.masseffectsaves.com/MESS/ME2ColoringBook.pdf

Skoolmunkee also made a sequel! She said there weren't any good jokes in it but she lied: http://masseffectsaves.com/MESS/MECAB_2.pdf

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 24, 2016

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie
Oh man, I have a full complement of mixing drinks from my bartending years, DIS GON BE GOOD.

I have a very cool recipe for when we get into romance stuff. Be warned, it's sugary as gently caress.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
This looks like fun! I don't drink myself but I do enjoy me some ME2. I shall pray for your livers.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Based on your romance choice from ME1, I forsee a LOT of blue Curaçao for when you get to LOTSB.

Also, this is the first Mass effect game I played. I bought it after a co-worker recommended it off of steam, installed it on a Friday night and marathon'd a soldier all in that weekend.

MA-Horus fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 15, 2016

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I don't drink.

So someone has to drink twice to make up for it. :v:

By the way, I really hope you'll do Tali's loyalty mission last, as in the last thing you do before the final part. It's so worth it to bring along a certain other companion you get towards the end.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Poil posted:

I don't drink.

So someone has to drink twice to make up for it. :v:

By the way, I really hope you'll do Tali's loyalty mission last, as in the last thing you do before the final part. It's so worth it to bring along a certain other companion you get towards the end.

Oh yes they get so loving butt-hurt about it.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

MA-Horus posted:

Oh yes they get so loving butt-hurt about it.

And using the Renegade response is pretty much required.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I would think you'd save the booze until ME3. That's a game with a parts that makes you want to kill off a portion of your brain.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I wasn't enlightened to the glories of Vanguard until 3, so I was part of the boring majority that played soldier and endlessly slowmo headshot every enemy in the game to death in 2.

It's a credit to the game's design that it was still pretty fun.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Geostomp posted:

I would think you'd save the booze until ME3. That's a game with a parts that makes you want to kill off a portion of your brain.

Here's to hoping all the DLC to make ME3 ending slightly less horrific will be present

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

well I don't have a lot of mixing alcohol available but I have a couple bottles of brandy just lying around not being drank, so I think that will have to suffice for the next month until my school is officially finished and I can put money towards alcohol again :)

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

Geostomp posted:

Gotta ramp up the stimulant hardness gradually.

SP, I'm looking forward to this! You've done a great job with ME1.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

RIP Butts Shepard 2154-2183

The Drink
Normandy
2 oz vodka
2 oz Chambord
1 tsp Bacardi 151
Orange Juice
Grenadine

Simple version: Screwdriver

Fill a pint glass with ice. Add vodka and OJ. Stir. Add Chambord and a splash of grenadine. Float Bacardi on top and light. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD MAKE SURE THE FIRE IS OUT BEFORE YOU DRINK. Also make sure the glass isn't going to send your lips to the burn unit.

The drinking game
Drink every time there is an explosion. You will be drinking a lot, sorry.

The episode
Don't wanna spoil anything here but SHEPARD DIES. The Normandy is attacked by some strange ship we can't identify and we end up getting spaced because Joker is an idiot who thinks he can pilot a pile of flaming wreckage. The earliest promo materials for the game showed Shep dying and caused a lot of hollering. We wake up some time later to a strange voice telling us to get our rear end in gear because of course poo poo is going down.

After fighting our way through a bazillion robits (not the Geth) we meet the galaxy's blandest squadmate and find out we've been resurrected by Cerberus. Y'know, the guys from the first game who killed an admiral, experimented with husks and Rachni and got our squad killed on Akuze. Apparently they were so impressed with our badassery that they spent several billion space bucks to bring us back from the dead. The head of Cerberus, The Illusive Man (TIM to his friends) wants us to help him out with something. We gotta make it to the shuttle to get the hell off the station.

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 10, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

We have the booze, we can rebuild her.

Jacob is a bit weird. It's like they went 'let's not give our token black guy the stereotypical black guy "personality" and instead... uh... we'll figure it out later'. But they forgot.

Poil fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 16, 2016

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I am still debating whether to drink or not.
If I do, I'll have to make do with a bunch of whisky, but that's close enouh :v:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Alexeythegreat posted:

I am still debating whether to drink or not.
If I do, I'll have to make do with a bunch of whisky, but that's close enouh :v:
It's the thought that counts! If you've only got whisky then drink whisky. I suggest mixing it with something though, there are a lot of explosions in the first 10 minutes :v:

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

I switched to tequila shots after the intro. There are too many explosions going on. All the time. At least I'll get a good night's sleep now... :downs:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

geonetix posted:

I switched to tequila shots after the intro. There are too many explosions going on. All the time. At least I'll get a good night's sleep now... :downs:
:gonk: Please don't make me add "number of alcohol poisonings during this LP" count to the OP.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Honestly tequila is pretty gross, so it was easy to keep myself alive ;)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

geonetix posted:

Honestly tequila is pretty gross, so it was easy to keep myself alive ;)

Don't drink bad tequila then. :colbert: :iia:

Seriously though, I love ME2 so much. Can't wait to see what canon fem-Shep gets up to!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I only had water on hand when I watched the video, but I played along anyway

I drank like a quart

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Glad you posted the vanguard flowchart, SP. Saved me the trouble. :clint:

Also I'm forever sad that they didn't go with the original ammo/heat sink weapons idea they had for ME2, which was to allow a cooldown like in 1 but with the optional choice to reload if you needed more dakka right away.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

for the full shepard experience I chose to drink the lit drink

:supaburn:

all pumped for shepard's dirty dozen

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

say what you will about killing Shepard at the beginning but I say it was all worth it

because we got the Normandy SV2 out of it which is loving awesome compared to the old Normandy :hellyeah:

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh man I have like over 160 hours played on this game, it's so great. I love some of the weird graphical bugs you may run into later on, it makes it look like your tripping balls.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Next update's ingredients
Gin
Lemon Juice
Simple Syrup
Club Soda

If you don't know how to make simple syrup, put a cup of water and a cup of sugar into a pot and boil until it starts to thicken. See? Simple! (you can also refrigerate the leftovers and it'll keep well for a week)

DeusExMachinima posted:

Glad you posted the vanguard flowchart, SP. Saved me the trouble. :clint:

Also I'm forever sad that they didn't go with the original ammo/heat sink weapons idea they had for ME2, which was to allow a cooldown like in 1 but with the optional choice to reload if you needed more dakka right away.
Yeah, I don't mind the ammo thing but it kind of screws up combat flow since after every encounter you spend 5 minutes running around looking for clips.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Mass Effect 2: Armour, who needs Armour?

Drinkin' at 11:00AM on a Sunday morning and Cerberus seems to have fixed Shepard's stupid run. Not a bad start.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

SubponticatePoster posted:

Next update's ingredients
Gin
Lemon Juice
Simple Syrup
Club Soda

Ooh, now we're talkin.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I can't believe Pressley is dead, he was my favourite NPC on the Normandy, I will always remember the way he used to stand there and do absolutely nothing until the very end of ME1 where he showed up during the Ilos intro to yell dramatically, that was his finest and only hour.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Can't wait for you to gently caress things up, vanguard style. And without one of the worst inventory systems in video games!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Torrannor posted:

Can't wait for you to gently caress things up, vanguard style. And without one of the worst inventory systems in video games!

I do think it's kind of funny that Bioware looked at the complaints about ME1 and thought "Hmm, well, nobody really liked the inventory so let's get rid of it completely. That makes sense!". Hell, they even sort of brought in a driving section, though the Hammerhead is shitloads more fun than the Mako ever was.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Update will be posted tonight. I hope Wednesdays are ok for drinking :ohdear:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z15DhxVSZaM&t=21s

"I think people would drink a lot more liquor, if they thought it was Wednesday all the time."
- George Carlin

:cheers:

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

I got some cider, let's do this

grack
Jan 10, 2012

There are days that aren't good for drinking?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Every day is ok for whiskey

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie

Im already drinking beer after a poo poo couple of days at work, so WHO CARES BRING IT ON

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Mister Macys posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z15DhxVSZaM&t=21s

"I think people would drink a lot more liquor, if they thought it was Wednesday all the time."
- George Carlin

:cheers:

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

I got some cider, let's do this

grack posted:

There are days that aren't good for drinking?

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Every day is ok for whiskey

grimlock_master posted:

Im already drinking beer after a poo poo couple of days at work, so WHO CARES BRING IT ON
I feel I've made a good choice with this LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
As someone recovering from a broken ankle who is still occasionally taking pain meds (the really good kind you shouldn't mix with booze) I'm scrambling to figure out what I should be drinking myself.

• Locked thread