Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
Home from the trip, truck went mint. 143.98L over 1400.64km, so ~10.3L/100km average over the trip. Pretty happy with that, highway and a lot of hilly/winding gravel roads. Loaded up with camping gear, recovery gear, food etc. and 2 people, with the 31s

Caught 4 snapper and 4 blue cod in the end, and discovered that the work tent I’ve had for a few years is now extremely not waterproof. Kayak fishing is pretty great but I need to buy a better inflatable kayak and/or an anchor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Noticed a subtle front end clunk. Thought it might be a wheel bearing. Jacked the truck up and pulled the wheel off, nope, it's the swivel hub bearings I think (kingpin bearings)

Yaaaaaay

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I want to laugh but I feel bad for you at the same time, it's like being at a clown funeral or something.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Ugh MESS

No wonder it was loose

Got it stripped down and cleaned up and ready for re-assembly when my parts arrive tomorrow. In retrospect I wish I’d done this when I had the hub apart to do the wheel bearing, because that’s 50% of the labour already and it would have saved me loving around pulling it all off again 6 months later. As it is though I’ll be pulling it all apart AGAIN soon because I want to put rebuild kits in the calipers and new studs in the hubs and ugh

gimpsuitjones fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 14, 2018

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

And you thought the lower race was bad....

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Parts all arrived. Got it all buttoned up in pissing rain, somehow managing to keep all the rain out of my new bearings. Probably. Then couldn’t find my 10mm socket (actually.) to finish up tightening the locking hub. Gave up temporarily as I was extremely wet and grumpy. Need to tighten that and hook up the caliper and bleed the brakes.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

One thing I certainly dont miss bout going from my solid axle Hilux to my IFS landcruiser is those loving knuckle bearings.

Its awesome when you accidentally ding the inner axle seal and then 10K kms later the whole knuckle is full of diff oil and the grease/oil mix is pouring out around the knuckle seals and dripping on the tyre....

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I've never seen that design of jack stand before, and it looks sketchy as hell :ohdear:

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Matches my mechanical work then...

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Ballsack. Need sliders apparently.

Happened during this trip. Also I fitted my winch which had been sitting in the garage for 2 months. 33s go well, good clearance on the rocky riverbeds. Don't seem to be too bad for my economy, the last fill up was 634km with 3 people & enough gear that the rear springs were flat, with a decent chunk of 4wd time, I got 11.3L per 100km.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5iRsxruIak

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Also saw this rad BJ74 up the Edwards Valley track up in St James

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'd have that and worse without sliders on my Jeep.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

It seems silly now that I don’t already have them... but up til now I’ve never been close to sill damage and they were on the “sometime this winter” shopping list..

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I'm still envious.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

So, I'm thinking about selling the BJ73 and upgrading to a 1991 HZJ73. The HZJ73 has dual factory diff locks, rust free, 6 years newer, 198,xxx km instead of 300+. Internally looks mint, has factory electric winch. Probably about $20k (NZ dollar)

At this stage, I might get $5k for the BJ73 if I sold it. Dual lockers would cost me $4000, it needs $2000 worth of new suspension, the gearbox is noisy, there's panel damage, the windscreen leaks badly, there's minor but concerning rust in places that looks hard to find (sills, doors, seams around the firewall, rear arches). Paint and panels are generally rough. I was planning on turboing it, but that will cost something like $2-3K, including custom manifold, legal compliance, exhaust, etc and at the end of the day I'd have spent $10k+ to make my rusty $5k truck into a rusty $6k truck.

I know the 1HZ is a slug (driven plenty of HZJ75, 79, 105) but it's fast enough for me, I don't really mind the 3B even. The HZJ73 has the high pinion front diff which is supposed to be weaker in reverse than the 9" diff on the BJ73. 1HZ fuel mileage might be worse than 3B but I doubt it'd be significant especially since I drive like a granny

Talk me into or out of it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You take your pet ducks camping with you?

:v:

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

You take your pet ducks camping with you?

:v:

They lived at the farmhouse next to the campsite, and were in danger of becoming dinner

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

gimpsuitjones posted:

So, I'm thinking about selling the BJ73 and upgrading to a 1991 HZJ73. The HZJ73 has dual factory diff locks, rust free, 6 years newer, 198,xxx km instead of 300+. Internally looks mint, has factory electric winch. Probably about $20k (NZ dollar)

At this stage, I might get $5k for the BJ73 if I sold it. Dual lockers would cost me $4000, it needs $2000 worth of new suspension, the gearbox is noisy, there's panel damage, the windscreen leaks badly, there's minor but concerning rust in places that looks hard to find (sills, doors, seams around the firewall, rear arches). Paint and panels are generally rough. I was planning on turboing it, but that will cost something like $2-3K, including custom manifold, legal compliance, exhaust, etc and at the end of the day I'd have spent $10k+ to make my rusty $5k truck into a rusty $6k truck.

I know the 1HZ is a slug (driven plenty of HZJ75, 79, 105) but it's fast enough for me, I don't really mind the 3B even. The HZJ73 has the high pinion front diff which is supposed to be weaker in reverse than the 9" diff on the BJ73. 1HZ fuel mileage might be worse than 3B but I doubt it'd be significant especially since I drive like a granny

Talk me into or out of it.

Well no one talked me into or out of it but the HZJ73 in question had a suspicious odometer and some rust. So I am going to see a local panel beater and find out if the rust in my BJ73 is inoperable or not.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

As it turns out, my rust is quite fixable when you talk to a competent panel beater that actually wants to do the work. 2 in my town, 1 not interested and threw it in the too hard basket, 1 keen to do it and able to detail exactly how it would be done (properly). So I'm going to do that, and although it's going to cost me ~$3000, that includes fitting a new fibreglass windscreen frame, rust repairs, paint, and repairing my dented door sill - and it's much cheaper than spending $20k + on a new rust free truck - although the $20k+ would come with some bonuses like lower km and diff locks.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Yeah, but that $17k savings is gonna be more than enough for diff locks. Save your body, I couldn't save mine. :smith:

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Fermented Tinal posted:

Yeah, but that $17k savings is gonna be more than enough for diff locks. Save your body, I couldn't save mine. :smith:

Yeah - probably $5k for front & rear E-lockers though... and not much less for air lockers, but I don't want a permanently mounted compressor so air lockers are out anyway

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
OEM e-lockers here are more like $5k each for new ones. Used ones are hard to come across.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

I'll be buying Harrop-Eaton E-lockers, Toyota OEM ones take some faffing to adapt to my axles apparently

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I think for OEM lockers you just have to cut a notch in the mounting flange on the axle housing.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

They're non-existent as used items here anyway, I think. Harrop-Eaton = $1990 all up for a kit for one locker, with switches etc. Tossing up whether I want a front locker as well as rear.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

More boring fuel economy data: 9.96L per 100km today! Did just over 400km today to go hunting tomorrow. Pretty good economy for a 33 year old brick with 300+ k km on the clock and big chunky all terrains. First long trip with the 33s

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

The 100/105 guys here aren’t getting the greatest run of luck out of the e-lockers, broken parts, poo poo service, failures that just shouldn’t happen...

ARB are flogging their air lockers for au$990 an end now, plus fitting. I think I paid bout $2600 for both lockers in the cruiser fitted to diffs, tho I pulled and reinstalled the diffs myself. They also make a cheap baby compressor purely for locker activation too.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Is that the Harrop Eaton ones that are failing? Hmmm. I haven't heard anything bad.

Might see what an ARB costs here, last time I checked it wasn't much different especially by the time you pay for a compressor to run it.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Also... will a 13-BT drop in on your model? Might be the easier way to turbo it without pushing the poor little 3B too hard

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Ferremit posted:

Also... will a 13-BT drop in on your model? Might be the easier way to turbo it without pushing the poor little 3B too hard

I've considered that, but it's in the Too Hard basket with stuff like the clutch booster I have, would have to modify the firewall to use a different clutch booster, and my current 3B is in such good nick (just slightly gutless)

When the 3B blows up I'll find a 1HDFT and put that in...

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

So, the Cruiser has done a shitload of km lately. Did a 9 day trip down the West Coast to Queenstown, then Fiordland, then back up the East coast home via Chch. Then went up the Rangitata to St Winifred's hut for a hunt - probably one of the most remote huts you can drive to in NZ, maybe 40km of rough riverbed driving each way, with big boulders. This will be the last it does for a while though: failed WOF (roadworthy) on a few things that are going to take some time to fix - the rust around the windscreen frame mainly. Going to have to replace the windscreen frame, all the seals etc, which is going to cost money and take time. The suspension is also totally shot and needs replacing. So the truck is off the road until that and a few other things (leaking power steering box, wiring fault in the left rear corner, etc) are sorted. Whether or not I get onto my big list of modifications that I want to do at the same time is uncertain.

Mavora Lakes

Boundary Hut up Mavora

All the puddles (like 1-3 foot deep) on the track up to Boundary hut were frozen solid with 5-10cm thick ice on top, had to smash through it which resulted in a broken indicator lens and big chunks of ice getting stuck places (and the ARB sticker on my bullbar got ripped up, boo)

You have to drive up the lake shore in places to get up around the Lakes at Mavora and it can be pretty sketchy when the lake is high, low as in winter with the snow though

Saw this heavily modded BJ73 in Te Anau - SOA, bar work, big tyres etc

Did the Thompson's Gorge Road which was a bit greasy, would be nothing in summer but slightly dodgy with the snow/mud in Winter

Gutes!

Ahuriri base hut & valley

Milford Rd & Milford Sound

St Winifreds/upper Havelock in the snow

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
That's some gorgeous country. It's kinda crazy that it looks so much like western Montana, though, despite being on the other side of the globe.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

When I did a trip around the South Island of NZ I spent a couple of days in Te Anau and did some kayaking in the Milford Sound. It's so pretty around there, but the sandflies were a loving nuisance

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
God, I miss NZ. You lucky bastard, getting to see that scenery.
I also was shocked at the few numbers of Kiwis who had traveled around their own country, instead they all went to AUS or the loving UK. Why anyone would fly from NZ to the UK to go sightseeing is beyond me.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Part of me wants to stick the 100 on a boat and ship it over there and spend 6 months exploring the South Island, but the other part of me realises that by the time I clean the car enough to meet quarantine on each side of the ditch I may as well just buy a 4wd in NZ and sell it again afterwards

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008

Ferremit posted:

Part of me wants to stick the 100 on a boat and ship it over there and spend 6 months exploring the South Island, but the other part of me realises that by the time I clean the car enough to meet quarantine on each side of the ditch I may as well just buy a 4wd in NZ and sell it again afterwards

The steam cleaner at port only costs $125 an hour. So budget wisely.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Ferremit posted:

Better off with your own truck. You know it's good, can ship over all your camping gear etc inside. I’ve looked at doing the same for Oz...

gimpsuitjones fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 26, 2018

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Anphear posted:

The steam cleaner at port only costs $125 an hour. So budget wisely.

AQIS are absolutely ANAL about anything coming into the country. Dad stepped on a port jackson fig flying home from NZ to australia and customs took his shoes off him.

You just about have to dismantle the drat car to prove to them that its soil and plant material free.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I don't believe that's true as thousands of cars get imported here every day and the only time they get taken apart is when they're inspected for roadworthiness long after they've left port of entry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
MPI inspects everything at the port and IIRC if they see anything they don't like the onus is on you to prove the vehicle has been properly cleaned.

• Locked thread