Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bombora
Jan 7, 2016

Please post a list of good cyberpunk novels you have read.
I think it would be valuable to have a thread dedicated to the genre.

So far I have read:
Gibson, William - Neuromancer
Gibson, William - Count Zero
Gibson, William - Mona Lisa Overdrive
Stephenson, Neal - Snow Crash
Suarez, Daniel - Daemon
Suarez, Daniel - Freedom
Swallow, James - Deus Ex: Icarus Effect

Try to limit any recommendations to cyberpunk specifically and exclude other Sci-Fi subgenres.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!
I quite enjoyed City Come A Walkin' and the A Song Called Youth trilogy, both by John Shirley.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Grab Charles Stoss' Accellerando and Glasshouse. They're pretty good reads. Vernor Vinge's True Names is a strong read as well.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

The Takeshi Kovacs series by Richard K Morgan: Altered Carbon, Broken Angels and Woken Furies. Definitely worth a read.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

The Rat posted:

The Takeshi Kovacs series by Richard K Morgan: Altered Carbon, Broken Angels and Woken Furies. Definitely worth a read.

Especially Altered Carbon. It's what came to mind almost immediately.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Does Ian McDonald count? River of Gods and Brasyl both have strong cyberpunk elements.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

You could add Johnny Mnemonic by William Gibson, its very short but it packs a lot of crazy, and it has Molly from Neuromancer. Oh and if you saw the film its worth reading just to see what crazy stuff was in the source and what was added to bump up the screen play.

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014
Surprised no one has mentioned Philip K. Dick yet. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is obvious, but I'd argue that A Scanner Darkly is light cyberpunk, and my preferred of the two.

Other than that I don't have a whole lot to mention that wasn't already brought up. The Detective's Tale in Hyperion was a dope cyberpunk section of a novel, if that counts. I'll be watching this tread closely - I've been meaning to get into more of this stuff.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Most likely not what you are looking for but Ready Player One fits the genre.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
No it doesn't.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

DoctorG0nzo posted:

Surprised no one has mentioned Philip K. Dick yet. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is obvious, but I'd argue that A Scanner Darkly is light cyberpunk, and my preferred of the two.

Other than that I don't have a whole lot to mention that wasn't already brought up. The Detective's Tale in Hyperion was a dope cyberpunk section of a novel, if that counts. I'll be watching this tread closely - I've been meaning to get into more of this stuff.

Aye Philip is usually reliable. I've read Flow my Tears the Policeman Said, and its very interesting though a bit light on the cyber aspects though there are flying cars and a corrupt world police state is the setting.

Oh and you might like The Running Man (no the film really isn't representative of the book) by Stephen King Richard Bachman again its light on cyber aspects but the setting a corrupt police state with choking pollution and an omnipresent mass media pitting human beings against each other for ratings makes it a close relative. And the ending is pure unadulterated punk, it could've been used as Dead Kennedys album cover.

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014

Baka-nin posted:

Aye Philip is usually reliable. I've read Flow my Tears the Policeman Said, and its very interesting though a bit light on the cyber aspects though there are flying cars and a corrupt world police state is the setting.

Oh and you might like The Running Man (no the film really isn't representative of the book) by Stephen King Richard Bachman again its light on cyber aspects but the setting a corrupt police state with choking pollution and an omnipresent mass media pitting human beings against each other for ratings makes it a close relative. And the ending is pure unadulterated punk, it could've been used as Dead Kennedys album cover.

I'm a fan of King but I've never read the Bachman stuff - been meaning to get around to The Running Man for a while. Didn't realize that it had those elements to be honest, I didn't really know much about it aside from the game show aspect. Framing it in the light you did though, it seems obvious, and makes me more interested.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Joel Shepherds "Cassandra Kresnov" novels are about a artificial human who escaped her country where she was a slave and move to the worlds of the people she was fighting to hide but try and be free for the first time in her life.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

DoctorG0nzo posted:

I'm a fan of King but I've never read the Bachman stuff - been meaning to get around to The Running Man for a while. Didn't realize that it had those elements to be honest, I didn't really know much about it aside from the game show aspect. Framing it in the light you did though, it seems obvious, and makes me more interested.

Yea the Running Man is something very different. To expand on it without giving much a way the setup is that the media runs various brutal game shows and all contestants willingly volunteer due to crippling unemployment and poverty, hell its gotten so bad that the television company had to setup a rigorous screening process to make sure they get some candidates capable of putting on a good show, out of the thousands whom apply. They all die eventually and the contestants all know this but the longer they last and the better show they put on the more money they raise for their dependents.

While the protagonist is on the run he finds out bits and pieces of just how hosed up and rotten the country's gotten in addition to the blood sports.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
The Girl Who Was Plugged In - by James Tiptree Jr.

Novella, but a great example of early cyberpunk.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

anilEhilated posted:

No it doesn't.

It absolutely doesn't, and is a poo poo book to boot.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Does "Quarantine" by Greg Egan fits?

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth
Walter Jon Williams' "Hardwired" and "Voice of the Whirlwind" are a decent two-book series. Hardwired is classic '80s cyberpunk - it even includes that weird fascination with ground effect aircraft that for some reason shows up in a lot of Cyberpunk.

I'd argue that Paolo Bacigalupi writes 21st century cyberpunk. Both The Windup Girl and The Water Knife deal with the same basic themes of dystopian corporate futures as the cyberpunks in the 80s did, but he's a lot more focused on climate change and its impacts so they have a much heavier focus on biotech and climate change than network computers.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Notahippie posted:

Walter Jon Williams' "Hardwired" and "Voice of the Whirlwind" are a decent two-book series. Hardwired is classic '80s cyberpunk - it even includes that weird fascination with ground effect aircraft that for some reason shows up in a lot of Cyberpunk.

I'd argue that Paolo Bacigalupi writes 21st century cyberpunk. Both The Windup Girl and The Water Knife deal with the same basic themes of dystopian corporate futures as the cyberpunks in the 80s did, but he's a lot more focused on climate change and its impacts so they have a much heavier focus on biotech and climate change than network computers.

Hell if you think about it The Water Knife is basically Chinatown but a hundred years later.

bombora
Jan 7, 2016

Has anyone read any Chinese cyberpunk?
Does it exist?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
This doesn't quite count as full on cyberpunk (though Goodreads does classify it as one) as more "distant future with body/brain augmentations, that kind of sucks, and somewhat opressive government" but the Nexus series by Ramez Naam was pretty drat fun read. It's a thriller about a drug that people ingest and turns their brain into a computer with HUDs and such, and can network with other people/internet and even stream live consciousness and stuff and goes into the political opposition and moral issues (both good and bad) about the technology. And it's pretty well researched without falling into the pitfalls of Crichton-technology stuff or "internet is a series of tubes" misinformation.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13642710-nexus

Just to quote goodreads:

quote:

In the near future, the experimental nano-drug Nexus can link humans together, mind to mind. There are some who want to improve it. There are some who want to eradicate it. And there are others who just want to exploit it.

When a young scientist is caught improving Nexus, he’s thrust over his head into a world of danger and international espionage – for there is far more at stake than anyone realizes.

From the halls of academe to the halls of power, from the headquarters of an elite US agency in Washington DC to a secret lab beneath a top university in Shanghai, from the underground parties of San Francisco to the illegal biotech markets of Bangkok, from an international neuroscience conference to a remote monastery in the mountains of Thailand – Nexus is a thrill ride through a future on the brink of explosion.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Apr 24, 2016

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
When Gravity Fails, George Alec Effinger.

Talas posted:

Does "Quarantine" by Greg Egan fits?
I'd say yes, ish.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

bombora posted:

Has anyone read any Chinese cyberpunk?
Does it exist?

I also would like to know if we can get a bibliography started for cyberpunk from other nations (hopefully in their own styles).

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

well a story i wrote is in Cyberpunk Malaysia

bombora
Jan 7, 2016

The Saddest Rhino posted:

well a story i wrote is in Cyberpunk Malaysia

Would you be so kind as to tell us which piece you authored?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

bombora posted:

Would you be so kind as to tell us which piece you authored?

oh welp i thought i edited it in but the forums must have been having a fart

it's DMZine #13 (Jan 2115) which is also the last story. Adiwijaya Iskander's Twins and Zedeck Siew's The White Mask are what i view as standouts in the collection.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
Oh man do I like me some cyberpunk. anilEhilated earlier in the thread mentioned Ian MacDonald, and while I've only read Necroville (aka Terminal Cafe) I'd say it definitely counts as cyberpunk. Societal oppression, transhumanism, Gibsonesque spacefaring, musings on the true value and definition of humanity/life. Also it has nanomachine-infused, corporate-branded dinosaurs. It's rad.

Another I want to recommend is K.W. Jeter's Dr. Adder. Arguably one of the first (proto?)cyberpunk novels, originally written back in 1972 but in publishing hell for twelve years. (Philip K Dick personally vouched for its release!) It's not hard to see why - Jeter doesn't pull any punches with sex or violence. It centres around the titular Dr. Adder, a crackpot surgeon (who custom-alters prostitutes' bodies) and sort of folk hero for the Interface, an ultra-scuzzy red light district in the near-future ruins of LA. It also features a cult televangelist, genetically-modified sex chickens, the Midwestern Liberation Front, and a cybernetic death glove.

Gertrude Perkins fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Apr 28, 2016

bombora
Jan 7, 2016

The Saddest Rhino posted:

oh welp i thought i edited it in but the forums must have been having a fart

it's DMZine #13 (Jan 2115) which is also the last story. Adiwijaya Iskander's Twins and Zedeck Siew's The White Mask are what i view as standouts in the collection.

Bought an epub copy off Smashwords.
Thanks mate

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
And You Shall Know Her By The Trail Of The Dead is a pretty good short story.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Trouble and Her Friends by Melissa Scott is pretty good.

Amazon posted:

Less than a hundred years from now, the forces of law and order crack down on the world of the computer nets. The hip, noir adventurers who get by on wit, bravado, and drugs, and haunt the virtual worlds of the Shadows of cyberspace, are up against the encroachments of civilization. It's time to adapt or die.

India Carless, alias Trouble, got out ahead of the feds and settled down to run a small network for an artist's co-op.

Now someone has taken her name and begun to use it for criminal hacking. So Trouble returns. Once the fastest gun on the electronic frontier, she had tried to retire-but has been called out for one last fight. And it's a killer.

Karpaw
Oct 29, 2011

by Cyrano4747
While not cyberpunk in the strictest sense, Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space stories pick up the themes from the genre and run with them into the spacefaring noir-ish future. The setting doesn't have FTL travel, so every inhabited star system is like a semi-isolated island, giving rise to the fragmentation of humanity into transhuman factions.

Also check out the biggest stylistic influence on Reynolds , Bruce Sterling's Schismatrix. Some of it is 80's-dated (Japanese megacorps in space) but its a foundational work of New Space Opera.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Nice, a book barn thread that doesn't even pretend to have discussion and is just pyf crap for babies right from the start

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

A human heart posted:

Nice, a book barn thread that doesn't even pretend to have discussion and is just pyf crap for babies right from the start

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lol,

Anyway if anyones on a William Gibson trip I you should probably also check out Idoru, the biography of Hatusne Miku it ticks most of the stereotypical classic cyberpunk tropes, VR internet, incredibly smart computer programs, rampant crime, social alienation, nerds living dangerous and exciting lives, Japan is a super power, all powerful mafia's (though funnily enough Gibson decided the make the only novel of his set in actual Japan riddled with Russian Mafya's and the Yakuza are completely absent) and generallyl tech based weirdness.

Major characters include, a teenage fangirl, a boyband star, some programmer nerd, an Otaku ala the 1990's (anime is also used as an adjective) and key plot points happen in a love hotel and a wacky nightclub. Its a bit like one of those novels based on the authors holiday from hell, only you know in the future.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Helical Nightmares posted:

I also would like to know if we can get a bibliography started for cyberpunk from other nations (hopefully in their own styles).

Sergei Lukyanenko (same author as the Night-Watch books) had a really great Russian cyberpunk-ish novel called Labirynth of Reflections. The sequels weren't as good, but by then he had gotten famous for the Night-Watch books and he kind of abandoned the series anyways. Anyways, if you like Lukyanenko's style this is one of his earlier works before he got formulaic. Very enjoyable read if you know Russian or can find a decent translation (the English fan-translation is pretty meh).

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 4, 2016

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Helical Nightmares posted:

Moxyland by Beukes is South African cyberpunk.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mr.48 posted:

Sergei Lukyanenko (same author as the Night-Watch books) had a really great Russian cyberpunk-ish novel called Labirynth of Reflections. The sequels weren't as good, but by then he had gotten famous for the Night-Watch books and he kind of abandoned the series anyways. Anyways, if you like Lukyanenko's style this is one of his earlier works before he got formulaic. Very enjoyable read if you know Russian or can find a decent translation (the English fan-translation is pretty meh).
It's actually hilarious because he's extrapolating the technology of early nineties, so it's got stuff like 986 computers.
Pretty meh as a book but good for unintentional laughs.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

It's actually hilarious because he's extrapolating the technology of early nineties, so it's got stuff like 986 computers.
Pretty meh as a book but good for unintentional laughs.

Thats part of the charm though. He imagined a framework for seamless virtual reality to be possible on weak computer hardware by offloading the graphical heavy lifting to the user's own brain through the Deep hypnotic induction program.

bombora
Jan 7, 2016

Mr.48 posted:

Thats part of the charm though. He imagined a framework for seamless virtual reality to be possible on weak computer hardware by offloading the graphical heavy lifting to the user's own brain through the Deep hypnotic induction program.

Definitely agree that it is part of the charm for me. I loved reading about Case attempting to sell the 3MB of stolen RAM from the Hitachi pocket computer in the Cheap Hotel.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I've only read Ambient, but Jack Womack's work seems to fit pretty comfortably at least next to the genre. Ambient follows the adventures a bodyguard of a high ranking CEO after economic, environmental, and political catastrophes destroy much of America. The biggest difficulty I had with the book is the poetic argot a religious body modification cult in the book uses, but I generally got the gist of it.

The dynasty that rules America in the book are basically the Trumps, which sort of freaks me out now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Cash Crash Jubilee had a pretty fun premise, but the main character is an insufferably dumb rear end in a top hat who only toward the very end of the book shows signs of not being an insufferably dumb rear end in a top hat. Still, it's enough that I'd read the sequel when it comes out.

• Locked thread