Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
The narration here weirds me out. It's all in past-tense, but it reacts as if events are taking place in the present. I only now noticed it and I find myself wondering if it's been like that the entire series and I never realized it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
I always assumed the Elder God wanted the Hylden to break out because their emergence would involve a bunch of war, strife, and death, thus feeding him. Maybe he was or wasn't proactive in that (with all the time-fuckery that goes on in the series, who can say what and where it all began and in what timeline), but it was definitely something he stood to benefit from.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

DOOP posted:

Did Kain have any idea of what was going to happen when he cast Raziel into the pit in SR1 or was he just trying to get rid of a threat?

According to an interview with Hennig pre-SR2, she said that Kain wasn't just being a monster then, he did it for a reason because Raziel's wings were a sign he'd been waiting for. How much he knew then and how much he learned since is anyone's guess.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
So something I don't think was mentioned, but forgive me if it was and I missed it, is that Raziel's choice actually cuts the Ouroboros of the Soul Reaver.

At the end, when he's being drawn into the sword, he places his right hand--the one that held the spectral reaver--against Kain's chest, and the purified spirit blade disperses into Kain, simultaneously curing Kain and ending the Reaver's aeons of mad, cyclical torment.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

George posted:

What I mean is Raziel has the wraith blade when he is absorbed into the Reaver. Or does it go into Kain? That actually works, with Raziel replacing Janos as his heart.

The way the (final as of the end of Defiance) timeline works--or is assumed to work--is that Raziel is absorbed into the Reaver, at some point Old Kain has to give it up or lose it so it'll fall into the hands of Young Kain, who will use it until he eventually shatters it against Raziel in the far future. The wraith blade bonds to Raziel, wacky time-travel adventures happen, the wraith blade is purified, and then the purified wraith blade is dispersed into Old Kain at the same time as Raziel is absorbed into the Reaver.

There's still a time loop going on, but it's not the perpetual circle it used to be, with Raziel eternally devouring himself into becoming a ravenous, mad entity that has relived the same horrifying cycle potentially infinite times.

Ironslave fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 17, 2016

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

EponymousMrYar posted:

Also remember that while the Wraith Blade is a separate addition to him, it's still a form of his soul. So it gets sucked into the Soul Reaver too. Raziel uses it to purify Kain before becoming the spirit of the sword.

Pretty sure that's not what happens. I read a remark either by Hennig or the other designers years ago (but damned if I can find it now) that dispersing into Kain is the end of the wraith blade's journey. Part of this is because it provides an end and relief to an entity that's known nothing but pain and madness for eternity, but also because in the LoK universe time is "immutable" and time-travel is retroactive. When you change history, you didn't change history--it always happened that way, and memory and the timeline reshuffles events around it. If the end of Defiance supercharged and purfied the Soul Reaver itself, there'd be no need to purify it later, see, due to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Huh, that Q&A actually reminded me of something that makes Kain's not-dying at Raziel's hands make more sense: in SR1, vampires couldn't be killed by beating them to death, and would only stay dead as long as they couldn't come back to life (say via impaling).

Of course, that has its own problem in that Raziel would be aware of that, but maybe he'd be willing to assume ripping out a heart and throwing someone into another dimension is enough to finish the job.

• Locked thread