Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
L-Boned
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
I just wired my house with cat7 and so this interests me. How are ping times and how well does it handle multiple things running (netflix, mlb.tv, gaming, etc.). Thanks!

For comparisons sake, I have time warner roadrunner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivan Yurkinov
Jan 13, 2010
I switched from Time Warner to AT&T last year and have never regretted anything so much. AT&T literally hosed up everything: installation, billing, transferring my phone #, and destroyed my yard. It is too long and sad a story to tell - take my word for it, OP. Steer clear of the Evil Empire.

CProject
Apr 18, 2016

Ivan Yurkinov posted:

I switched from Time Warner to AT&T last year and have never regretted anything so much. AT&T literally hosed up everything: installation, billing, transferring my phone #, and destroyed my yard. It is too long and sad a story to tell - take my word for it, OP. Steer clear of the Evil Empire.

I am sorry, but happy to hear this. As I am leaving AT&T and heading for Time Warner's 300 Mbps.

OP I've heard that the Gigapower isn't everything it's cracked up to be, but they've not updated down here.

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope
I switched and it's been very good - but I will be going to local fiber as soon as my "year 1" is finished. The local company came in right after my install was done :(

Overall it's really not bad, I think it's a roll of the dice on which installer you get though.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I switched from cable to AT&T U-Verse TV + internet, and paid the ETF after 6 months. I had AT&T's fastest 20Mbit plan, I believe cable goes to either 150 or 300 in my area but I get by with 50.

I had 3 different modems from AT&T and multiple outages lasting several hours, the biggest issue was aproximately every hour the internet would poo poo itself and stop responding. The modem(s) would log that there was no response from AT&T'S DNS despite being set for Google. Also, to my knowledge you can't disable The internal router in a U-Verse DSL modem, but there are a couple work around if you wish to use a 3rd party router which will not completely eliminate double NAT.

The wiring was a Cat 5 line in an unfinished room, an easy job, it was reran twice. On other service visits the techs would either throw up their hands or say something about the DSLAM.

As far As TV service went, it had a few extra channels that I don't get with cable now, and a million bullshit ad channels, poo poo like a 24/7 Lexus SUV channel. Wireless receivers for the TV is a cute gimmick but a pain in the rear end to keep the connection established.

When my internet did work, it delivered the promised 20Mbit and handled Netflix but there is no way in hell I will go back to AT&T. Maybe AT&T is just exceptionally lovely in my area but I survived 6 months before paying the ETF. . . which I spoke to three reps to verify my ETF at the time was $45, and I got billed $90.

• Locked thread