Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.

--:-- Harm | 0-armor | 3/10 XP | 3 Cred | 1 Gear | 1 Intel | 2 HSP Hold

Assess: 2d6+1+1 7
Who or what is my biggest threat in this situation?

xian on Discord posted:

Well, you see the turret, but, the waiters. (you've seen two waiters so far). They're not visibly armed (like that means anything when you can have lasers in your wrists). they move like pros.
This fact is lost on the Pirates but not S+K.

This is a powder keg and the only thing preventing the sparks between Steiger-Karensky and the Pirates from setting it off is Kiko Mattix. So let's gently caress with that.

I take a look down at my wrist where my suit displays a whole bunch of data I don't need to know right now, but also the time. I've got the others pegged for an ETA of 30 seconds, this little pocket of space is about to go hot. I release the safety on my SMG and take a deep breath.

It's rock o' clock.

With a crash I kick open the hatch in the wall I'm spying through and move into the room with my gun trained on Kiko.

"Everyone freeze RIGHT loving NOW or this turns into a shitstorm! Blink and Mattix bites it. That includes you too, busboys."

Play Hardball: 2d6+1+1+1 12 Well that's a relief.
Produce Equipment: Spending 1 gear to acquire a stick of space dynamite. Because this situation simply isn't volatile enough.

I toss a block of plastique I found back in Karensky's workshop onto the middle of the dinner table. "Now that I've got your attention, I'm here to renegotiate the deal."

"New deal: No deal. Steiger and Karensky, our common employer is very worried about you and I suggest you wrap this dinner up and get on with securing the cargo. Mattix, nice to make your acquaintance, I'd sit down for coffee but first I need you to tell your goons to stop unloading the cargo, back off, and watch while my crew deals with the pirates. Oryn, you lose."

Still keeping my gun on Mattix I flip the lid of the remote detonator in my left hand and hold my thumb over it. "Any objections?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

--:-- Harm | 1-armor | XP ●●●○○○○○○○»
2 Cred [1 Gear][1 Intel]

I assume I find an airlock with no problems...

As soon as the pressure seals are locked, I'm out of my seat, pinging G0U to meet me at the 'lock.
I check my weapon and the bot's ammo feeds. I have no idea what I'm gonna find here. No idea if Spectre's ok, or dead. gently caress the whole job could be blown, or everything could be fine.
"gently caress it. Maximum Effort." I grumble under my breath as I cycle the hatch and step aboard the pirate station.

I send G0U ahead to Tank as I pull tail, walking forward through corridors in a half crouch, rifle up and reflex sights glowing in my HUD. Now, to find the crew...
Asses 10
What is my best way in/way out/way past? (to find the Hilsa crew)
Where can I gain the most advantage?
What potential complication do I need to be wary of?

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Profit tears through the black towards the Pirate ship's reactor, unfortunately for her, she doesn't escape the detection of one of the unmanned fighter drones. That one begins to close distance on her as two more peel off their their positions to triangulate on Profit.

She needs to move, and fast, or they're going to rip her apart. Act under pressure.

Mahren and Fedor are both watching this happen from the comfort of the Lance. What do they do?

-----

The busboys react, but don't act. Sake and Karensky remain professionally still. Oryn and the Pirates experience a number of emotions really quick. Most of them are variations of surprise, anger, and fear. They stand up and look like they're about to activate whatever 'ware they fight with, then barely contain themselves when a brick of explosives lands in the center of the table.

Kiko Mattix sighs and slumps in her chair. The action of something incredibly profitable slipping through her fingers.

"Yeah, mate, I got a fuckin objection!" Oryn says as he rises to his feet once again. "You blow us up you're coming along for the ride!"

"Objection overruled." Kiko says resignedly, and the turret in the ceiling aerates Oryn, who slumps back down in his chair. The other pirates freeze in shock as the turret sweeps between them, but doesn't shoot.

"Shouldn't have brought them here." Kiko tells the pirates. Whether she's referring to Karensky and Steiger or Spectre and his crew is impossible to know. "What now?" She asks Spectre, but makes no move to stop him. "You've got them. But you also want all the cargo. I hope you don't expect to leave me here with nothing. I don't know that I can stop you, but... in my life I've learned there's always a deal to be made. Especially when faced with," she glances at the explosive, "messier options."

What do you do?

-----

G0U tromps onto the station, fanning its gun across the corridor, but finding no-one to shoot in its targeting path. It leads Ying deeper into the repair station, and it's not long before someone shouting "...I got a loving objection!" can be heard coming from the Atrium. And then a single staccato report of gunfire.

As they move, Ying sees small turrets in the hallways--hidden, and inactive currently--placed at various locations throughout the corridors. Gain control of those and she could own the station...or at least kill everyone in it, But she'd have to find the control point to do so.

As they close in on it, G0U alerts Ying, "Alert: armed explosives detected. Simulated blast indicates substantial losses." So, if someone gets trigger happy, everyone dies. Someone dressed like a waiter moves into the corridor, then sees G0U, and moves to cover away from G0U and says something into his comm.

What do you do?

xian fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 22, 2016

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

2 Cred [1 Gear][1 Intel]

A warning flashes across my hud. I turn in time to see the man scurry into cover while G0U's twin shoulder-mounted machine guns track his progress.
I step up behind the bot's bulk and call out.

"Look, I don't want to have to shoot you, so if you could just point me to your boss, I won't harm you."

Moments later:
I enter the atrium with G0U at my side. Even with it's hunched over, gorilla-like, gait the bot stands at least a foot taller than anyone here. Heavy, armored, and heavily armed, my boy is dressed to impress. I look around and see lots of wide eyes. Mission loving accomplished.

"How are you, Tóngzhì? All your base are belong to us." I declare as I casually walk over to stand beside Spectre.
hoping my presence lends a bit more leverage to whatever Spectre's up to.
Rolling +1 Link and +1 Profit's Plan

Help or Interfere 9
Spectre gets +1 forward, and I will suffer any consequences alongside Spectre.

I notice more turrets, and the bullet riddled body. While Spectre talks, I quietly ping G0U to keep scanning, full broad spectrum. I wanna know everything I possibly can about the people in this room.
G0U's sensors have the tags: Targeting (Analysis) Software, Jamming
Asses 8
What do I notice despite an effort to conceal it?

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

"You get to leave with your life and your operation intact and can add yet another valuable life lesson onto the pile?" I give Kiko a shrug, she sure was all business all right. "You took a risk when you decided to deal with amateurs like these," I wave the detonator at Oryn, whose impression of Swiss cheese was spot on. "I can't fault you for doing it, the profit margins must've been through the roof, but you have to cut your losses here."

It's about that time Flores comes strolling in along with her hulking death machine. My SMG suddenly seemed quite superfluous. I beckon her with a nod. "Good to see you, flower girl. You missed dinner but you're in time to give our friends a ride home."

I look back to Mattix and resume where I left off. "That being said, as a courtesy from one professional to another, you can keep that mech you have in your repair dock. It should help recoup some of your losses. Karensky will recall her drones when we leave."

Fast Talk: 2d6+1+1 8

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

1200 Harm 1-armor | 2-cred | Ed+2 St+1 Me+0 Mi+1 Co+0 Sy-1 | XP ●●○○○○○○○○»
1-hold (Plan Comes Together) | 2-hold (Hot poo poo Pilot) | 1-hold (Assess)

I see the drones incoming, and break off my attack run. My Valkyria's best defense is its speed and maneuverability. I cut the engines and flip the fighter end-over-end in only a few ship lengths before returning to full thrust, not quite on a reciprocal heading. In short order I've reversed my course with a minimum curve and minimum loss of velocity, and blast by the nearest drone too close and too quick for it to engage effectively. That will keep the other two off me for a moment as well. The closer one will mask me for a few seconds while it gets itself turned back around.

The trade off is now all three are behind me.

"Engaged with drone fighters," I say over comms. "I can keep them busy for a little while, but we need to find the controller. Spectre, did you see any sign of it?"

I'm looking around myself, now that I'm in the thick of their defenses and can see how they're responding. Something useful is bound to turn up.

Spending 1 hold from HSP to confuse their targeting with some slick maneuvers and such (dismay someone, per the MC).
An Assess.
Assess: 2d6+2 8
Going to keep the 1-hold for now.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

"Uh, stand by, Profit." Right, the drones. I was planning to sabotage those before I came upon this goldmine. "Kiko, unless you want to replace your drone fleet you better tell your drone jockey to call their toys back before they're turned into scrap. My crew has begun their sweep."

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Kiko nods, then activates a some communicator 'ware with a subtle facial tick. "Piedro, set all drones to evasive, give the corresponding order to our haulers and ruffians."

"This is, I think, a fair deal: First: They're your problem." She gestures at Steiger and Karensky. Steiger smirks back. "Interesting times, these two. Second: Relating to the cargo, I keep everything we've already unloaded. That's between... a quarter and a third." She makes a pulling motion in the air and an abstracted info-graphic style visualization pops into the air, with a yellow bar showing 71.87% and slowly falling, a green bar showing 28.13% and climbing at the same speed. "You return the rest," While she says 'return', a look of condescension, "load it onto your hauler because Fourth: I'm keeping the ship and the mech."

"I think that's a fair deal. Do you?"

While Spectre and Kiko are negotiating, Ying notices one of the pirates sub-vocalizing. Seconds later, the transmission he attempts to send surreptitiously back to the Pirate Ship might as well be a solar flare for how it shows up in G0Us sensor suite.

What do you do?

~~~

The drones back off Profit and begin to take evasive flight patterns, until they form a loose perimeter with the ruffians around the haulers, who are moving away from the pirate ship. Just when it looks like things are all clear, the Pirate ship begins spinning up its weapon drives and four small, mismatched, patchwork fighters pour out of one of its bays.

What do you do?

xian fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 25, 2016

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

1-hold (Plan Comes Together) | 2-hold (Hot poo poo Pilot)

Talked out an exchange with xian on Discord.

I monitor Spectre's transmission, then comm Ying. "Flores, can you put me on speaker?" When she does, using G0U to carry the message, I offer a counteroffer to Kiko - mostly on principal.

"20%, and the ship and mecha are as-is condition once we complete the transaction."

Kiko considers it, then replies. "So I'm going to say 27, you're going to say 23, settling on 25... Fine. The ship will need to be in good condition to remove the cargo intact, leave it that way. I don't imagine the mecha needs to enter into this at all." Kiko taps her spoon on the table angrily, "Four percent. For what? What are you going to tell Amardeep to explain the missing cargo that would work with 75%" She shakes her head, "but not 70%. It's not like it's any more money in your pocket. We have a deal at 25% or this can begin to go the other way." There's a harder, more clipped edge to her words now.

"And we get to keep our gear. Or I blow up this deal myself." Karensky adds.

"A matter of proffesionalism. Unless you happen to have information that would be worth our client's time. Such as who backed this attack." It's a long shot, but the I'd happily trade more cargo for information. But better to haggle first and ask second - if she knows and I tip our hand, the price goes up.

"Find it on their ship, I assume. There's your incentive to keep the thing intact for me."

No luck there. "Done and done." I'm already maneuvering as I finish the exchange, watching the pirates. "I have company out here. Your clients seem to be objecting. I'm about to be busy."

Spending my hold from assess:
How are the pirate fighter's vulnerable to me?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

2 Cred [1 Gear][1 Intel]

I notice a flashing pip on my HUD, expand it and readithe results. micro RF burst, short band, encrypted, coming from THAT guy.

"Sorry to interrupt, but our friend here (I point at the man exactly as I Link-command G0U to turn and target him) is talking to someone out there.
I'm inclined to paste him, but since we're all friends here I figured that would just be rude."

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Using the method of the turret in the ceiling, Kiko ends the lives of the other pirates in their seats. It spins up. Perforates the two pirates, and spins down. "Rude is looking a gift horse in the mouth." Kiko says, not caring whether it transmits to Profit. "I can't blame them." She says of the Pirates, "I can blame Oryn, but this muscle?" And really, as their blood pools below their seats, all they are is muscle at this point. "With... seasoned operators is a word I could use here..." She sighs. "It wasn't going to end any other way. I can't employ them. I can't let them leave. There's only one way this goes."

~~~

Once Profit sees their intercept vectors and flight paths, she knows she's a better pilot, but also that her craft is considerably more maneuverable, and faster. And that taking them on one on three probably would be a coin flip as long as the Pirate hauler didn't get involved. But she has backup. She could very easily use her superior speed and maneuverability to kite these three fighters away from the Pirate hauler and into the Obsidian Lance's targeting vectors.

xian fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 29, 2016

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

"They decided to hit a target they shouldn't have and their execution was the stuff of amateurs, a very lethal combination in this business. They were lucky to get as far as they did." I flip the safety on my gun and holster it. "I think we're done here."

I turn my attention away from the bloody mess on the floor and back to Kiko. "You're getting a hell of a lot more than we were planning to leave you with, Mattix. Don't let a few percent spoil your day." I stretch out my hand to her. "We got a deal?"

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

For a second, Kiko seethes before masking it under professionalism. She shakes Spectre's hand. "We have a deal. Now, take these two and go kill the rest of them."

Steiger and Karensky get up and move toward Spectre and Ying slowly, with their hands visible. "Let's go get our stuff." Karensky says.

"And kill the rest of those idiots." Steiger adds.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

I pull back on the controls, turn back towards the Lance and putting on the speed. "I'm headed your way, Mahren - with company."

And then things start going really off plan.

Act Under Pressure: 2d6 2
Well that isn't good.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

2 Cred [1 Gear][1 Intel]

"Okay then."
I put G0U back in sentry mode, and take up my rifle again.
"Steiger, Karensky, you're with me, let's get your poo poo. Spectre, catch you on the flip amigo."
With that the four of us head back out towards wherever the Hilsa crew's gear is stowed, while Spectre goes to wherever I assume his mecha is hidden.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

"Impeccable timing like usual Flores, I owe you one." I nod my head at Ying and make my way back to the hatch in the wall I came from, but before I leave I turn around with a wry smile. "I almost forgot." I hold the remote detonator out and give it a press — on the green button, not the red. The light-emitting diode on the block of explosives flashes rapidly a few times then goes dark. "Why don't you keep that as a memento." I toss the remote over to Kiko Mattix. "Just don't play around with it too much." I slink through the hatch and make my way back to where I left the Wraith.

Produce Equipment: Spending my last gear on a carton of smokes, looted from a janitorial closet I came upon in the maintenance tunnels.

I glide back into the seat of the Wraith and wake it up from its rest. "Smooth haggling, Profit. Amardeep better appreciate it." After sealing the cockpit I lift my visor and put a boron stick between my lips and light it, its green glow is soon lost in a sea of amber as the HUD lights up. "Wraith is on station, weapons online. Patching into the targeting network now..." Well, that doesn't look right. poo poo. "Profit, do you copy?" I detach from the repair facility and burn hard towards the action.

Assess: 2d6+1+1 8 Who or what is my biggest threat in this situation? (I don't think anything is threatening ME right now, but I hope it works for determining who I should attack anyway)

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

--:--Harm|1-armor|2/10 XP|2 Cred

"I see 'em, Mahren, getting sights on them now."

I line up my reticle perfectly, or so I think, on the first of the pirates. I slowly squeeze the trigger and... completely miss.

"gently caress! Gonna need some help out here, or Profit's toast!"

My good rolls are now gone. Sorry Profit.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

"This way," Steiger says and begins moving down a corridor. And then, back to Kiko, "Hey, thanks for the meal. Really, top notch." He sounds sincere.

Karensky looks G0U up and down before following.

Steiger leads them to a storage unit adjacent to the airlock that the pirate shuttle, now Mattix's shuttle, was docked at. Inside, their gear. A hulking heavy infantry battle armor that Ying can see has been heavily customized, undoubtedly by Karensky. Steiger steps into it and it wraps itself around him. Karensky’s armor, lighter, is what you would get if you mounted small beam weapons and armored plates on a high end technician's 0-g maintenance suit. "How did you find us, anyway?" Steiger asks as he runs a perfunctory systems check on his armor.

They hit El Corrido a few minutes later. "I'll disengage the hoppers once we're away." Karensky says.

You take off and without any signal from Karensky, the hoppers disengage and follow at increasing distance as El Corrido outpaces their small thrusters.

"This thing can get up and go." Karensky adds, "So, Flores. You got a first name? Or a plan?"

What do you do?

~~~

Profit attempts to juke the three fighters trailing her, but the patchwork fighter group maneuvers better than it looks. And then she's thrown in her seat as the fighters' machine guns tear through her craft---

Profit, take 2 harm (machine gun damage less your armor + the ship’s armor). The ship takes clock segments less it's armor, but to know exactly what that looks like you need to roll harm+2 and remember that lower is better.

~~~

Mahren fails to lead the fighters correctly and misses them entirely. Seconds later, the Lance is rocked by incoming fire from the pirate craft's mounted auto-cannon. What do you do?

Using the same methodology as above, take 2 harm and roll harm+ 2, unless you spend HSP to avoid this external danger.

~~~

Spectre disengages from Mattix's station and flies toward the battle, pushing his thrusters for as much juice as they can give him. He sees Profit taking fire across her ship and sees the auto-cannon spraying the broadside of the Lance.

Spectre's biggest danger is the turret turning its focus from the Lance to him.

What do you do?

~~~

CLOCKS FOR THE SHIPS
Saab 78 Valkyrie RJ [ALERT] [ALERT] [ALERT] [2200] [2300] [0000]
Obsidian Lance [ALERT] [ALERT] [ALERT] [2200] [2300] [0000]*
*Unless you use a hold from HSP.

Right now El Corrido and Spectre are at Extreme distance, and can close one per round, two if a) your ship has ‘Fast’ or something similar or b) you spend an HSP to push it. Also, everyone mark experience for locating the Hilsa’s crew if you have not done so already.

xian fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Aug 16, 2016

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

--:-- Harm | 1-armor | XP ●●●●○○○○○○»
2 Cred [1 Gear][1 Intel]

"Sure, first thing: we're not friends, Flores is all the name you need. Second: yeah the plan is to cause a ruckus and kill some fuckin pirates and recover your cargo. Then return the whole fuckin thing to your boss and get fuckin paid. Bee tee dubs, this is MY ship, y'all are just passengers, there's jump seats in the hold here, strap in and let me do my job and don't give G0U any reason to paste you while you're back here."
Pep talk over, I sprint up the ladder onto the foredeck, throw myself down the short corridor and into my crash seat. wireless handshake, AR userface brought up, and all failsafes disengaged, cores are hot and I punch it out from the dock.
I acknowledge Karensky as soon as I notice her drones in pursuit. "Yeah I've practically built this ship from scratch at this point. Most of it's secret-recipe stuff so don't go poking around, but yeah, El Corrido only looks like a mothballed piece of poo poo older than I am, he's special on the inside."

With that I veer off from Spectre's heading, he is more equipped to tangle with fighters, and I scan for what (I assume) I've been told is the lead pirate ship with the cargo onboard.
"Ok kids, one more stop. Steiger, that armor of yours looks like you can handle a fight. How do you feel about running drag for some payback? Karensky, you stay here and chill, Corrido will keep you safe."

With that I swing the nav interface towards the bigger ship and attempt the same 'hot LZ' docking maneuver I did with the station.
Hot poo poo Pilot 5
uh...oh...

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 16, 2016

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

"Pretty sure we should switch that," Steiger says, "Got a pretty good sense of their ship myself. And a bit more unfinished business with the people inside than--"

But by the time he finishes that sentence, Ying has gunned it, and Karensky slams into her crash couch she does so. Steiger just stands, impassively, in his armor. They can hear the hull groaning at the speed, and Ying would not like the look on Karensky's face beneath her helmet, full of doubt. But, struggling as she is to control El Corrido up in the cockpit, she doesn't see it. Her crew is in danger, and the job is in danger because if the Lance goes down, there's no way to take Amardeep's haul back to him, and Ying doesn't relish the idea of them asking Kiko for repairs after the testier round of haggling.

Ying realizes she maybe pushed it a little too far. But, she thinks as she watches one of the coolant feeds zero out, that's what the extra engines are for.

The ship groans even more during the even harder deceleration burn... but with an extra hard, bone rattling KLUNK. They're docked with the pirate's ship.

"Do the couplings always buckle during a hard burn?" Karensky asks over the ship-board comms before Ying gets back down to the airlock.

They're where she left them, Karensky in her crash couch, and Steiger in his armor, standing alongside G0U.

The airlock she docked at is locked up tight.

El Corrido takes two clock ticks from PUSHING IT TOO HARD, and gets there despite what I said in the last post about distance because narratively that makes more sense, syncs things up better, and is more interesting.

El Corrido [ALERT] [ALERT] [2100] [2200] [2300] [0000]

xian fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 16, 2016

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

2 Cred [1 Gear][1 Intel]
El C: [ALERT] [ALERT] [1900] [2200] [2300] [0000]

My HUD fuckin lights up, coolant for drive A zeroed out in less than a second into the burn. has to be a ruptured line. gently caress, A just redlined and...gone. overheated, probably just melted a loving coupling. at least the burn executes correctly. but now I gotta push B,C,D, E, and F even harder to hit my decel window. the ship shudders and I can hear the hum of my grav compensators working overtime to soak the hundreds of Gs that could be killing us all right now. All according to plan.

I'm unbuckled and running back to the hold the second I see the airlock seal go green. I spare a direct look for Karensky. "Nope, but Corrido decided to show off because I have guests."

I get G0U moving and call back to Steiger. "You know yourself, your armor and the ship. I will mention that handing your candyasses back to your boss alive and well is part of my job. G0U is literally made for ops like this, but I don't feel like arguing if you wanna take point."
I lead the way forward to the personnel airlock in the nose. I cycle it open and my chest tightens up. Where there should be a simple mechanical lock console, there's a shiny new biometric encryptor. gently caress. That's a bit beyond my expertise.
"Ok, change of plan, Karensky...looks like you're coming with, I assume you know more than dick about their security setup and the lock on their airlock is a little over my head. So if we're getting inside we need your help."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Harm Profit [ALERT] [ALERT] [2100] [2200] [2300] [0000] | Valkyria [ALERT] [ALERT] [2100] [2200] [2300] [0000]
1-armor | 2-cred | Ed+2 St+1 Me+0 Mi+1 Co+0 Sy-1 | XP ●●●○○○○○○○»

The move would have worked against two opponents. My mistake was assuming that three of the pirate's makeshift fighters were the rough equivalent of that. The third fighter rakes my Valkyria with tungsten carbide rounds and the ship lurches as components blow. My HUD flashes red and sirens blare until I squelch them.

A quick glance shows that by sheer luck nothing critical has taken a hit - at least nothing without a backup - but I can't count on that happening a second time. I need to even the odds.

The fighter that just hit me is the major threat right now, so I zero in on them. I cut the main thrust to minimal suddenly, and use the RCS to rotate the Valkyria rapidly in two axes before bringing the primary engine back in. The result is a twisting course that leaves my guns aimed in a different direction from the one my ship is traveling in. One that causes my target to drift into my sights as I dump the reserve capacitors into the gauss cannon for a snap shot.

Harm [+2]: 2d6+2 4 Finally my terrible rolls pay off!
Mix It Up: 2d6 7 A decent roll!

Gauss cannon is near/far for 4-harm breach.
I was going to pick "you make too much noise. Advance the relevant Mission Clock" and "something of value breaks" but I'm not sure what the first one really entails.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

--:-- Harm | 0-armor | 3/10 XP | 3 Cred | 1 Intel | 2 HSP Hold

I set my sights on the pirate fighters as I move in. The turret might be tracking me but at this range I'm stuck with missiles and they're more likely than not to detonate the ammo storage of the pirate ship if I fire at it, and I'd rather not watch that payday go up in flames.

Triangles begin spinning around the pirate fighters on my HUD as the weapons system attempts to acquire a high resolution lock on them. While I doubt those scrapheap fighters have any advanced countermeasures I need a good lock before I fire to minimize the risk that one of my Baneslayers veer off course and score a hit on the Valkyria.

Accompanied by a solid beep the triangles lock in place, I pull the trigger a split second later. Two concealed missile launchers pops out and unfolds from the shoulders of the Wraith and immediately launch a volley of hi-tech mayhem at the hostiles. I alter my approach slightly to get closer to the pirate ship but keep my eyes on the missile cam. I crack a smile and take a long drag on my cigarette. I've been waiting for a good opportunity to test fire these things.

Closing in to Far distance.
Mix It Up: 2d6+1+1 13 Weapon: Terra Dynamics ML3000 'Baneslayer' Missile Launcher (5-harm far area messy breach)

Sockerbagarn fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 16, 2016

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

--:--Harm|1-armor|3/10 XP|2 Cred

"I'm about to be a little distracting to our friends - get ready to take advantage of it."

I turn the Lance towards the enemy ship, and begin throttling my engines up to max. If this works as planned, I'll pull away late enough that their weapons will focus on me and they'll be open for attack from my crewmates who have proven themselves to be better shots.

"About to feign a ram - Spectre and Profit, hopefully this'll give you time to take 'em out."

The inertia of speeding up so quickly presses me back into my seat, and I head straight for their ship. After a few seconds, they've take notice of me and begin to swivel the turret to take me out. I fire some shots to distract them with no hope of actually hitting, and about quarter click away I go straight down, missing the ship by a little less than I had hoped.

"Hit the fuckers now, I think they're too scared to notice you for at least a tiny bit!"

Spent my last hold to frighten the pirate ship.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Profit targets one of the ships following her with a bolt from her Gauss Cannon, and the ship might as well have evaporated under the blast for all that's left of it. Before the other two shoot her into myriad little shards of space debris and vacuum-frozen gore, a well placed Baneslayer missile launched from some distance detonates right in between them, ripping both her remaining pursuers apart.

Something of value is going to break, but let's come back to exactly what, as nothing is jumping out at me right now. I marked off the 1800 box of the mission clock on page 1.

~~

Mahren brings the Obsidian Lance about for the feint of a ramming action, and the lack of any response action coming from the Pirate craft -- no maneuvering, shooting wildly with no hope of hitting anything -- leads him to believe that whoever is behind the controls has no idea what to do about a cargo ship heading right for them. He has a mental image of the last remaining pirates making GBS threads their pants as the Lance grows larger and larger on the pirate view screens.

~~

"Mattix has enough money to jam a new airlock in here." Karensky says, walking up to the biometrically sealed airlock. Instead of disabling it, three small beam weapons activate and focus on one point of the airlock. Slowly, they begin piercing the airlock. There's a slight hiss as the pressure between the two ships equalizes. She makes a number of different holes to weaken the integrity of the airlock, basically stenciling it. "Your turn," Karensky says, and Steiger walks up as she moves out of the way, and gives the airlock a power-armor-aided kick. It falls inwards with a kathunk.

They both stand aside so G0U can take point. "Bridge?" Steiger asks, "Or did you have something else in mind."

xian fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Aug 18, 2016

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Harm Profit [ALERT] [ALERT] [2100] [2200] [2300] [0000] | Valkyria [ALERT] [ALERT] [2100] [2200] [2300] [0000]
2-hold (Hot poo poo Pilot)

"Perfect timing, Spectre." I flip my fighter over and resume my course towards their pirate ship. "I think that was their main throw - but keep your eyes open in case they have something up their sleeves."

It looks like the critical events are taking place elsewhere now...

---------

Spending my Plan Comes Together hold to show up on the pirate ship.

I come around a corner and nearly walk into Flores and her companions. I stop and raise my hands, my weapon very obviously pointed elsewhere. "Flores," I say by way of greeting, then look at the other two. "Karensky and Steiger, I presume. Call me Profit." I look around. "What's the plan?"

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

2 Cred [1 Gear][1 Intel]

The airlock hatch crashes in with a thud. Cool.
I've already added Steiger and Karensky's sensor profiles to G0U's 'DON'T FUCKIN SHOOT' parameters, So I send the bot forward and the rest of us follow around a corner just as he pings me.
'friendly'
"Profit!?! How the fu-, ok y'know, whatever.
Alright, new plan. We split. Steiger, meet Profit, Profit-Steiger. You two take the bridge, take your time and have some fun. Karensky, me, and my boy here are gonna head towards Core Containment. Profit, remember what I did on the Hilsa? Same drill here, I'ma disable any kinda fuckshittery they may have rigged to blow the core, take down all non-essential systems via cutting power, and maybe set up my own version of the Tick-Tick-Boom threat that you can use as leverage with king gently caress-pirate up there. Muy Bien?"

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

"King gently caress pirate got iced by Kiko." Steiger says, before they split off to the bridge. Ying, Karensky, and G0U make it to the Core without incident. But when they get there, they take small arms fire from somewhere deeper in. Karensky makes sure she's behind both G0U and Ying. So far the bullets seem to be fired blind, probably behind cover, as they're spraying wildly, bullets embedding themselves in bulkheads harmlessly (for now, they are in Core Containment, after all). What do you do?

~~~

Steiger takes point and begins leading Profit through the ship's corridors to the bridge. At some point, he stops, and signals to Profit that it's around the next corner. He moves out first, but there's nobody outside the door to the bridge. The door is closed. What do you do?

~~~

What are Mahren and Spectre doing right now?

Now might be a good time to open up comms (Spectre, Mahren) to see how you can synchronize your next moves with whatever is going on inside the ship.

xian fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 27, 2016

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

2 Cred [1 Gear][1 Intel]

U://>Run/CMD/4SS4ULT/exec cmd_active target profile.exe
I push Karensky back around a corner and swing my rifle back around, seeking targets.
G0U charges forward, faster than you'd expect a bot his size could move, the machine gun on each shoulder sweeping independently for targets. My bot's targeting suite throws up pips on each confirmed and likely target in the area. I select-all and send him weapons-free.
The heavy thuds of his steps fade out underneath the cacaphony of his guns. Hundreds of caseless armor piercing rounds seek his targets in rapid bursts. He continues this way until he stands roughly in the center of the engineering deck, right next to the main console, scanning and occasionally firing in every direction. A desperate pirate rushes the robot, G0U continues calmly firing as he raises one of his massive fore-claws, knocks the man clean off his feet, and then crushes him underfoot.
Mix It Up 11 (G0U's machine guns: 5-harm near/far area loud messy auto)
Objective: to take control of the ship's power cores/engineering, and wipe out any resistance

I watch as, one by one, each of the targeting pips winks out as enemies either run off, or get pasted by 2mm Ferro-Ceramic penetrator rounds.
I notice Karensky's up stepped behind me to peer over my shoulder at the battle. I give her a wicked grin. "drat it feels good to be a gangster." I crow before stepping cautiously into the corridor. I keep my eyes up, and keep G0U scanning as we slowly make our way to the console.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

2-hold (Hot poo poo Pilot) | 2-hold (Assess)

I post up on one side of the door, letting Steiger take the other. I outline the plan to him. "I'm in first. I'll take left, you take right. If anyone tries something, take them all down - but let's see if they'll surrender first. Save us a mess." I wait for him to nod in acknowledgement. Once I have it, I key my comms to update Ying.

"Reached the bridge. Breaching now." I reach out and try the door controls. As soon as the door open, I move in, my assault rifle raised and sweeping the left side of the bridge.

"Hands behind your heads! Now!" I shout. "Drop anything you're holding and step away from the consoles!"

Spending one Assess hold for: Who or what is my biggest threat in this situation?

Assess [+Edge]: 2d6+2 12
Play Hardball [+Edge]: 2d6+2 11

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 27, 2016

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Karensky whistles and walks back into the room as G0U continues to crush one of the two pirates that was shooting at them. He's very dead, so there are no screams, but bones crunch and soft tissues of varying types squelch under the strength of the drone.

"That thing can do a job," She says. "Nice work."

What do you do?

~~

The three pirates in the bridge basically jump out of their skins when the doors slide open and they're face to face with the barrel of Profit's assault rifle and slump when they see her backup.

They do as she says, stepping away from the consoles they're at. The pilot at the helm stands up and moves away from their chair. The other, on the gunnery inputs, steps back, hands up. A third puts down his gun and steps away from it.

"Told you." Steiger says to the pirates coolly, through the speaker of his power armor.

What do you do?

Your biggest threat in this situation is the three of them realizing they're probably dead no matter what, losing all hope, and getting desperate.

By the way, I should have mentioned this earlier. In the movie of this game, Steiger is played by Chiwitel Ejiofor and Karensky played by Uma Thurman (circa Kill Bill)

xian fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 29, 2016

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

2 Cred [1 Gear][1 Intel]

I put G0U on stationary sentry mode, and turn to the console. "De nada, so hey now we gotta own this core, and everything drawing power from it."
I start grabbing tools out of G0U's storage compartments, "So that's our project. We got bullet holes in the port compressor there, make sure it's stable, this screen is shattered to gently caress, so I'm rerouting control over here. I got a redline on coolant! what the poo poo! coolants not even on this level-"
I stomp over and notice the problem, a nice trio of neat little holes in the deck plating. I run back to my screen and start tapping and swiping furiously.
"ok, shutting down coolant 3, reconditioning flow between the others...and oh holy gently caress me papi. Core shielding took a direct hit, rads are rising. We gotta do what we need to do and be the gently caress off this deck in about 20 mins or the rads'll be high enough to cook us in our suits."

Ok so I'm doing Customiser, and the goal is total control of the basic systems of the ship via power. This isn't a hack, I'm not trying to remote pilot the ship or fire weapons, my objective is to prevent the pirates from doing any of that by depriving whatever system of power. I have Karensky to help, but I'm not sure how that affects things.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Aug 29, 2016

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

"Got it." Karensky says, helping Ying where she can as Ying takes command of the situation, "Gonna see if I can pull power off non-essential systems to reduce the Core's load as much as I can. If we've got twenty, let's push it to thirty, and be out of here in 15."

xian fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Aug 30, 2016

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

"Bridge secure," I say over the comm channel.

I pull some binders out of a pocket on my suit and secure the prisoners. I don't have any particular plans for them - toss them in a handy locker and let Kiko decide what she wants to do with them. Once that's done, I look to securing the ship's logs and other records. Once I have those, I shut down the consoles.

"Time to collect the cargo and rendezvous for our pay day."

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

If you guys want, we can fast forward to when everyone's on the Lance again and you're settling up with Kiko. I know Ying wanted to try and scour the ship for anything valuable. I think the way to handle that would be an assess roll. Profit, if you want to assist on this (or vice versa), feel free.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

2 Cred [1 Gear][1 Intel]

I'm cool with fast forwarding. gonna roll assist for Profit's roll. Like we search the ship make sure no one is free to run around, and look for anything cool or valuable among the pirate's belongings while we wait for the cargo to finish transferring to the Lance
Assist 7

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Once I'm done on the bridge, I meet up with Flores. We look over the deckplans, then make a thorough sweep of the ship. No reason to miss out on something useful, since we aren't in that much of a hurry.

Also okay with fast forwarding.

@Gorbash you rolled 3, 2+3 for a total of 8.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Profit, Ying, G0U, Steiger, and Karensky return to El Corrido with some, but not many, spoils. It's not too long before they're back on the Lance, the Lance is docked near the pirate hauler, and the promised cargo is being transported. The longer Profit watches the manifest tick over as cargo is transferred, the more certain she becomes that Kiko would be good for her end of the deal.

They should be ready to collect the Hilsa and head back to Amardeep pretty quickly. Steiger and Karensky are keeping to themselves in a far corner of the Lance's capacious cargo bay.

Mark XP For Securing the Hilsa's Cargo. Ying, what does that Cred look like? Is it a block-chain key she found, a cred stick, or some easily moveable merch? Profit, what does the intel look like? Naturally this can be more vague since Intel is malleable. Also, what happened to the Valkyrie? Where is it now?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

1-armor | 2-cred | Ed+2 St+1 Me+0 Mi+1 Co+0 Sy-1 | XP ●●●●○○○○○○»

The [intel] I collect is the ship's database. Between bad opsec in general and getting caught by surprise when Profit took the bridge, she made off with a complete copy, after which she erased the original.

Profit docked the Valkyria in one of the pirate's own fighter launch cradles, and then made her way into the ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

--:-- Harm | 1-armor | XP ●●●●●○○○○○»
2 Cred [1 Gear][1 Intel]

I think the Cred is in the form of actual honest to god precious metal. literal gold coins, they're rectangular in shape, like thin gold bars the size of an irl half dollar. Each one is embossed with a stylized image of a skull. We found them in the "captain's" quarters. otherwise I scoured personal terminals for things like movies and music, for my own collection. I'm not sure how we divide 1 Cred, but I plan on sharing with the others.

• Locked thread