Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Easiest way to divide it would be to put it towards a group buy, when something like that comes up.

So, time passes, the transfer is completed per the terms of the deal. 3/4 of Amardeep's cargo is sitting in the Lance, along with Steiger and Karensky. Time to go pick up the Hilsa and then head towards Amardeep?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

xian posted:

Easiest way to divide it would be to put it towards a group buy, when something like that comes up.

So, time passes, the transfer is completed per the terms of the deal. 3/4 of Amardeep's cargo is sitting in the Lance, along with Steiger and Karensky. Time to go pick up the Hilsa and then head towards Amardeep?

sounds good to me. And we made a friend in kiko, yeah?

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Friend might be a bit of a strong term, but she's definitely a contact you could go to for Hit The Street related stuff, or even for jobs, in the future.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

xian posted:

Friend might be a bit of a strong term, but she's definitely a contact you could go to for Hit The Street related stuff, or even for jobs, in the future.

Cool

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

--:--Harm|1-armor|3/10 XP|2 Cred

"Great job everyone, that ended up going much better than it could have. Looks like we made out with more than just cargo with how things turned out with Kiko, too. It'll be nice to afford some decent food for a change!"

I burn back towards the Hilsa, and set the nav computer to head towards Amardeep once the Hilsa is secured again.

"What's next? I'm sure I can dig up some new hunts on the net, and maybe get us a little closer to Earth. What does everyone think?"

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

You've collected the Hilsa and are in a Hard Burn towards Amardeep. Are you all on the Lance? Or flying separately? Say you're half-way through a two day hard burn to Amardeep, so you've got some time. How are you guys spending it? What are you doing?

What does unwinding or cooling off after a fight look like for you all?

xian fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 2, 2016

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Harm Profit [ALERT] [ALERT] [2100] [2200] [2300] [0000] | Valkyria [ALERT] [ALERT] [2100] [2200] [2300] [0000]
1-armor | 2-cred | Ed+2 St+1 Me+0 Mi+1 Co+0 Sy-1 | XP ●●●●○○○○○○»
2-hold (Hot poo poo Pilot) | 2-hold (Assess)

Back on board the Lance, I dig through my trunk and come up with something I've been hoarding for a while. I bring the bottle of amber liquid and some glasses down the lounge, then get the juke box to play some proper music.

I light up a Tars and pour myself a glass, then one for Steiger, another for Karensky. I share it out to anyone else who's interested and turns up. "Should be back to Amardeep soon. Any plans after that?"

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Steiger rotates his glass and watches the ice cube roll around within it.

Karensky says, "There's few different ways things could go, depending on the way things go. Part of it depends on Amardeep. Wouldn't mind spending some time on Luna. How about you?"

xian fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 5, 2016

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Harm Profit [ALERT] [ALERT] [2100] [2200] [2300] [0000] | Valkyria [ALERT] [ALERT] [2100] [2200] [2300] [0000]
2-hold (Hot poo poo Pilot) | 2-hold (Assess)

I sip my drink. "That statement has the virtue of being true no matter what happens." I consider what to share, then shrug. "We're thinking of heading sunward. More work there for freelancers. If you need a lift, we might be able to arrange something."

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

--:-- Harm | 1-armor | XP ●●●●●○○○○○»
[Cred] 2
[Gear] -
[Intel] -
El C: [ALERT] [1800] [2000] [2200] [2300] [0000]

Music pounds across the bay, nearly drowning out the hiss of welders and the clank of heavy poo poo hitting the bay floor. I'm taking advantage of the micro Gs, using an overhead winch to lift Corrido up a few meters so I can reach the belly and repair it.

I'm no soldier, but I've known some and worked with more. I got in the habit: 'always clean your guns first thing after a mission, the next one can come up way quicker than you think so be ready' I've taken that advice to heart. weapons cleaned, G0U repaired, and now Corrido is my main priority. I fixed what I could inside, but have now got parts of engine one spread across several dozen cubic meters. G0U is back in his helper body, crawling all over the hull and checking for micro-breaches. I get engine one online smoothly, but that meltdown caused a lot of collateral damage. I start making a list of what needs fixing, and working out parts I'll need.

"I'm on comms if anyone needs me. I've got a parts list I'll need to fill once we pass the spinner to get my poo poo fully operational. Also if anyone else needs me to check their rides let me know and I'll try and do a bulk order for parts we need. I'll be up there soonish, don't drink everything without me." I transmit to the others.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Sep 7, 2016

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.

--:-- Harm | 0-armor | 4/10 XP | 3 Cred

It's simple to keep your equipment in excellent condition when you don't have to put it through fire. As far as op goes that was one of the smoothest, at least from my point of view. But that doesn't mean that I'm the sort of person that gets complacent about the tools that keeps him alive, especially when I haven't gotten paid yet. So I'm giving my guns, my suit and my mech a thorough examination before I kick back and relax.

The rhythmic beats coming from Ying's side of the bay makes going through the motions I've gone through so many times before almost a meditative experience, and before I know it I've scrubbed the last missile launch tube clean. Looks like Flores is still hard at work patching her ride together though. I take one look at the jumble of exposed wires and decide I don't owe her enough to give her a hand with that mess. I leap off the top of the Wraith and slowly float down to the passage leading to the lounge where I find Profit, Steiger and Karensky.

I hide an amused look as I'm offered a glass of the amber stuff. Must be part of the job of being a coordinator to keep a bottle of good whisky around, Profit certainly wasn't the first one I've worked with that could suddenly produce one after an op. I light up a boron stick and take a sip. Now that was how it's supposed to taste like.

"So. Steiger, Karensky. Care to explain something to me? Why would you leave what must've been an exciting job at the Adjustment Group only to run freighters hauling the least interesting commodity in the lanes? I take it that what happened today isn't an everyday experience."

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

"We're sharing a drink. First names. I'm KJ, or Jace, whichever you prefer. She's Sake. Like the drink. And you answered your own question."

"Exciting means a lot of meaningless death." Sake cuts in, "Go here, eliminate the target. Torch the hab. Vent the ship full of people. Pays well, gets stale. No personal stake in any of it..." She sputters for a second, getting angry, "the loving company is based around preserving the status quo. Our lives didn't improve because of anything we did and that never sat right. If I'm going to kill somebody, I should feel strongly one way or another about the situation! But, contrast then and now: If you hadn't showed up, we might have killed Kiko. Might not. We honestly hadn't decided yet. After so long not having that choice, we consider it a precious commodity."

Steiger adds, "The Corporate Culture wasn't great. Lots of cliques calling themselves things like The Cadre or Satan's Banshees. You can imagine the type." He has a sip of the whisky, "Contracts end. Our fixer put us in touch with Amardeep, and he offered us a pretty comparable amount of money to ferry this stuff around. It's sugars, it's water, oil, air, seeds, pharma, steel, silicone, ceramics--the building blocks of the system. There's so many ships like The Hilsa going from one place to another, we were about as under the radar as you can get. It was relaxing." Steiger drinks nearly all the whisky in his glass down before pouring the last bit out on the ground, "And Ovie and Arlo were good people."

xian fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 7, 2016

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

--:--Harm|1-armor|4/10 XP|2 Cred

Now that the ship's on auto, I head down to the lounge to catch up.

"You two must be Steiger and Karensky. Name's Mahren Inaris, good to finally meet you."

I turn down the offer of a drink - who knows when I might need to take control of the ship - and I want my senses to remain sharp.

"Like Profit said, we're heading nearer towards Earth, may be able to find some jobs or hunts there. Just lemme know and we can drop you off somewhere, or you can stick around for a while."

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

"Call me Jace, Mahren."

"I'm Sake. Appreciate the offer. Can't say what we'll be thinking by the time we get to Luna, but it's nice to know we've got a way to get there in the first place." Sake adds.

xian fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 8, 2016

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

"Drinks or no, I'm still just Spectre. It's nothing personal, I just left the name I was given behind me a long time ago."

I lean in over the table. "I understand where you're coming from, what you've been through. I think most of us here do. There's a reason we're all freelance after all. But space trucking? It'd drive me insane within a week. We managed to pull some footage from the Hilsa, and I saw you two in action. I don't see how you could ever be content with long sleepy hauls through the void for the rest of your lives when you're capable of that."

"Like I said, freelance," I lean back with a shrug. "Choose the jobs you want, without any of that corporate bullshit to sour everything. If I know my Luna, and I do, you've got no end of marks that actually deserve getting hit for once. Shouldn't be too hard to find someone that stands to gain from it and could cut you in either."

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

"You're alone." Sake says, not as an insult, just as a statement of fact, "We have each other. That's what makes it sustainable. And, you don't need to have something to fight in order to build. That workshop was enough for me, and it was mine."

"I read a lot." Jace chuckles, "It's fine to have the ability to take a ship full of Pirates to school, but it's the same thing: why? Looking past our job with Amardeep, we were defending our home. That's something worth fighting for. And, if you find a job worth doin'... when we get to Luna... we'll see." Jace lets that hang.

Things continue like this for a little while. The Lance and the Hilsa continue trucking through darkspace towards Amardeep. You learn that Jace is from Earth, and Sake is from Luna, but they're cagey with the details beyond that. Similarly, the answers about how they came to their previous employer are borderline corporate speak that tells you the 'truth' in such a generic manner that it doesn't give up any valuable information about them. They very adroitly steer conversations towards small talk and war stories, less about themselves.

And then, Spectre gets a different kind of ping. And his stomach drops. It's the future equivalent of a bluetooth pairing request. Something is trying to piggyback onto the sensors of the Wraith. He immediately knows it can only be one thing. It's JSS standard operating procedure to link their Mecha squadrons like this to create a sensor mesh that gives a fuller picture than a single sensor could, and their sensor mesh just tried to pair with Spectre's Wraith. Access denied, of course. But this means that there's a JSS Squadron in your vicinity, and if this hadn't happened, you wouldn't have known they were sneaking up on you.

Jace picks up on something in Spectre's face, and he tenses, "What, what's up?"

NEW OPTIONAL MISSION DIRECTIVE: ELIMINATE THE JSS THREAT.

Ying has repaired one clock slice of damage to El Corrido, the rest will require some parts.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

"Ever heard of a little local business known as JSS?" I reply to Jace, slam my glass down on the table and shoot Profit and Mahren a look. "They've got a squadron of Mechas closing in on us, strike configuration." I get on the comms and ping Flores. "Drop your spanner, we've got incoming. JSS."

I turn back to Jace and Sake who still regards me questioningly. "I'll give you the short version. The reason we took this job from Amardeep was because he can get us spinner access to get out of Jovian space. We need to get out of Jovian space because we've pissed off JSS something fierce. Looks like they don't want us to leave in one piece. Which is not great news for you either, seeing as you're with us." I get up from the table and look at Profit. "Fight or flight? I doubt Amardeep will be happy if we leave the Hilsa behind."

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

"You guys go from spinner to spinner making friends, huh?" Jace responds, throwing back the rest of his (second glass) of whisky and exhaling deeply. "Think the thing you were working on is ready?" He asks Sake.

xian fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 12, 2016

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

[Cred] 2
[Gear] -
[Intel] -

"I say fight." I pipe up over comms, having just finished putting Corrido back together.
"I didn't go through all this bullshit not to get paid in full.
The real question: do you think I'd be more useful giving them something else to shoot, or working on spoofing their poo poo?

Also, in my professional opinion if Spectre's mecha is their bug, Spec better stay out of it for this fight. Ringer fuckheads might ICE you somehow."

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I knew staying sober would work out for me.

"I don't see how we can't fight!", I say as I run back to the cockpit. "Spoof their poo poo, Ying. Spectre, how likely is it that the JSS... re-allocate your mech?"

I flip my targeting UI down, but not slowing down quite yet.

"Any good ideas, Jace and Sake?"

Can I see the ship yet? How big is it, and do I recognize what type of ship it is?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

2-hold (Assess)

"Nature of the business," I say to Jace as I snag the bottle and put the stopper back in. "We'd appreciate any help you can provide."

I key my comm as I get up from the table and start towards the hangar to get my fighter, plugging into the tacnet as I go. "Fight," I say. "Pay isn't the question. They'll trace the Hilsa if we dump it anyways, and it doesn't sound like we have time to cleanly dispose of it." I'm not inclined to lead them back to our employer either, but that's more a personal view.

"We'll need to take them all down, or at least make sure they can't trace back to Amardeep once we break contact."

Rolled an Assess!
@Gorbash you rolled 5, 5+2 for a total of 12.
3-hold, spending 1 immediately for:
What is my best way past the JSS?

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

I'm already on the way to the hangar bay, speaking over comms as I go. "If they had a hook on the Wraith we would've been tagged and bagged a long time ago. Hell, they could've used it to home a missile on us all the way from Ganymede. I'm dead certain I got rid of all their little tracking systems."

I climb into the cockpit and begin the cold start sequence. "I'm not sitting this one out, we need all the firepower we can muster and the Valkyria isn't looking so hot."

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Spectre thinks it's highly unlikely that the current level of contact is enough to re-allocate his Wraith given he's stripped it of all their tracking devices.

Mahren cannot see the ship, because there isn't one. JSS operating procedure points to a squadron of Mecha with Similar stealth capabilities to the Wraith, but a longer range.

Once the situation begins unfolding, Profit realizes that the best way past the JSS Squadron is to destroy them, and the best way to do that is by using the things that they don't know about--namely, that the crew knows they're there, and that the crew is stronger than the Squadron was briefed on, given it has two new members.

Sake continues sipping her glass of whisky on a crate near the Wraith, thinking, "I could send the crickets out, try to draw them out, but that gives up our element of surprise upon them... I could... get control of the Hilsa's PDC and try to focus their attack on the Hilsa, but that gives up that ship...and we still don't have anything to target... hmmm..."

Jace comments, "I think what she's saying is: you find em out there, we'll help kill em."

So, I think that Profit's assess pertained to the situation in the abstract. If someone wants to get on sensors and try and find them out there, you can, but failing isn't going to be great. I would recommend someone assists on this one.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

"Finding them is the tricky part. Our only advantage is that they don't know we're aware of their presence, but if we start actively scanning for them it'll give it away..." There's a beeping noise coming from the Wraith that's starting to get on my nerves, but as look down to turn it off I notice where it's coming from. It's the display of the system that tipped me off in the first place.

code:
Connection request from JSS-TSF98(N)..........Timed out
Connection request from JSS-TSF98(N)..........Timed out
Connection request from JSS-TSF98(N)....
"...Ying, can you give me a hand? I've got an idea." I lean out of the hatch to the cockpit and wave her over.

"See this readout? It's from some hush-hush black box built into the sensor suite. It's currently configured to silently drop any incoming networking requests, but I'm thinking we can use it to locate the mecha squadron. If you can work your magic and replace the sensor data from my end with garbage I could link up with their network and see exactly where they are without giving anything away."

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

[Cred] 2
[Gear] -
[Intel] -

I sprint over to the mecha and lean into the cockpit, I see the readout and trace a few lines with my eyes as Spectre talks, popping my head out of the cockpit to see where a component is situated and how it might connect on the inside.
I ping G0U to bring me tools and after a minute I hear the skitter skitter of his repair-body coming toward us across the bay.
"Yeah, I...I think we got this!"

Using Customiser to spoof enemy sensors and also give Spectre a way into their systems.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

"That's good enough for me."

I type a single line into the console and slam enter, accepting the connection. I can't help but feel a slight tinge of apprehension as my eyes shift to the sensor display.

"Come on you corporate fuckers, reveal your secrets..."

If this goes wrong it could go very wrong.

Assess: 2d6+1 7 But we're good!
What do I notice despite an effort to conceal it?

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Ying's work bears fruit the next time the JSS Unit tries to connect to the Wraith. At first, the display that gets pushed to all their HUDs is similar to sonar, only showing position the moment of the connection attempt, not the path. But after a few moments of pings, your nav systems are able to plot the trajectory of the JSS Squad. There are four of them, and they're moving in on you cautiously, in a way that's clear they're looking to surround you.

What do you do?

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

"There you are." I forward the data to our network as soon as I see it.

"It looks like they're still maneuvering to set up their attack, we can hit them before they are ready. Let's finish our launch prep then hit them with everything we've got all at once."

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

"Let's hit the hangar," Jace says to Sake, "Get set up."

"It seems like Ying needs to stay here to maintain the uplink so I guess I'll take El Corrido and--" Sake says before she and Jace start laughing. "We'll sort one of 'em out. Just let us know which one you don't want to worry about."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

2-hold (Assess)

Profit nods. "I'll join you in the hangar. My fighter is a bit banged up, but still combat ready. I can try and pick one off from distance with the gauss cannon."

Using my other two assess hold:
Ђ Where can I gain the most advantage?
Ђ Who or what is my biggest threat in this situation?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

"The Lance is ready to fire any time - just need to get them in my sights. Should be able to hit a few of 'em before they even know we see them. Let me know when and I'll hit the brakes, may surprise them a bit."

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

[Cred] 2
[Gear] -
[Intel] -

Using Corrido as a hub I patch through our secret plotting algorithm to everyone's systems.
"This should be enough to give us an advantage while they still think we can't see them, call it the first couple shots, once they start maneuvering, we'll be able to track their drive flares, but they will also have full use of whatever nasty poo poo they're packing. Jace and Sake, patch your rigs into TACTICAL CHANNEL #800080cKY(128,0,128) - Authentication: Purple. That'll put you officially into our C3 and sending and recieving all necessary data. You're exmil, you know the drill."

Just then G0U pings me. <Task Complete>
He's disconnected the Wraith's main power core, after we used my patch job from earlier to patch the Wraith into ship's power. Call me paranoid, but you don't design a stealth mecha with this level of sophisticated corrdination and signals processing without also installing nasty ways to get even with thieves or rogue operatives. No explosions for me today, thanks.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

"Copy," "Copy," Jace and Sake say at the same time.

The biggest threat (aside from being blown up) in this situation is the JSS calling reinforcements or getting away in a manner that allows them to track you to Amardeep. Profit can gain the most advantage by coming up with a plan that calls for a simultaneous strike on all four of the JSS craft.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Here is a summary of the situation as we've talked about it in Discord: There are four JSS Mecha closing in on you slowly, spread out and surrounding you as best they can in three dimensions. Jace is confident that he can handle one of the Mecha by himself. Sake can use the Hilsa's cannon remotely to help where it's needed.

Profit knows from JSS SOP "which of the four will be acting as a communications hub. Their first action if they can confirm our presence will be to report our position and capabilities and request reinforcement. But if this team just goes silent, their doctrine is to round up twice the force it would take to do that. That'll take time - long enough for us to get clear." Additionally, Profit's Valkyrie is still damaged from the last fight.

The Wraith can be ready to go as soon as Spectre reinstalls the power core G0U removed as a precaution.

Ying is going to do tech assistance from the Lance. And also has "very Ying" plan B involving a big loving explosion.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

2-hold (Assess)

"Here's what we've got. JSS SOP is to immediately call in a contact in this situation. If they make the call, everything in range will come down on our heads. But if a patrol simply drops off the grid, their doctrine is to bring in twice the force that would be needed to take the patrol in a standup fight. That'll take time - enough for us to get clear."

"So we need to take all four, and fast. If we can get them at once, that would be ideal. But we have a little margin if we do this right. To avoid confusion, by the JSS manual they'll have a designated caller. It's most likely this one," Profit highlights a mech. "That one is yours, Steiger."

"With that one down, it will take a moment for them to realize someone else needs to radio. But only a moment. We might have enough time to clean up a straggler if we miss one, maybe two if we're incredibly lucky. So, Spectre, Inares, and I will take the other three," she marks them in the tacnet. "And if any of us miss, Karensky will take a shot with the Hilsa's cannon."

"If any survive the first salvo - if your target is still up, fire at them. Then move on to the next closest. Otherwise we'll need to dump the Hilsa and make a run for it."

"Steiger, you're our cue. As soon as you hit yours, we'll take our shots. Don't miss."

Here's The Plan should apply, so +1 to actions while following the plan.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 5, 2016

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

"Got it. I'm ready to launch in—" The Wraith starts beeping at me again, this time more urgently than last time. "Main drive offline? Now?!" I wrench myself out of my seat and hop out of the mech and leap onto the floor. The first thing I see is Ying's bot backing off from the open engine cover. Oh. Guess that explains that.

"Why the hell did you do that?" I snap at Ying. "Fix it. Now."

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

[Cred] 2
[Gear] -
[Intel] -

I see the look on Spectre's face, and hold my hands up. "Okay okay, but if they have this level of remote access I just thought they could also send in a remote kill command that shuts you down or self-destructs you. But you wanna go ride-or-die out there cabrón, I'm not gonna stop you. Also Profit...We ain't leaving Hilsa, We've earned a full payday here. If poo poo goes sideways I can fake a containment leak releasing plasma into space and set it off if they're close enough, which can save us."

I ping G0U, and together we get the mecha buttoned up and all-green in record time. with nothing else to do here, the bot and I turn and head for my ship, we slip in and I start closing the hold ramp.
"Spectre, you are clear for bay decompression and launch in 60 seconds."

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Anyone arriving in the Launch Bay sees Jace, in his armor, facing away from them, toward the bay's doors. Sake stands on a crate behind him. A few of Sake's grasshopper drones lay inoperative, at her feet on the crate, as she works on something at the back of his armor. Lots of sounds of things slamming into place and booting up. You hear their voices echo in the bay, clearly they've been muted on comms.

Sake: Test LA3
Jace: L3 Connection Established. Green all the way down.
Sake: LA3B
Jace: Same.

After a few minutes, she picks up another of her grasshopper drones, attaches it to his armor somehow, and continues working on his armor after doing so. From the angle you enter the Launch Bay, she obscures whatever she's doing to Jace's frame.

Sake: Test RB4.
Jace: Yup. How fast can I push this thing.
Sake: You'll knock yourself out before you dislodge these. RB4B
Jace: Ready to go.

After a few more minutes, she picks up another and does the same thing. "So I get the walkie-talkie." Jace says over comms after unmuting. "Consider it done." His next questions come through in a monotone, "How are we closing distance? Who else is gonna be out there? Is there a point where a tactical retreat is in play, or we finishing this?"

Finally found a picture of Jace's armor frame:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

[Cred] 2
[Gear] -
[Intel] -

As I settle into the control couch of Corrido, interfacing with my entire system, I notice what's been nagging me about the "ghost" interface the enemy has with Spectre's mecha.
It. Can. Go. Both. Ways. Holy poo poo. Lightning strikes my brain.

"Corrido Actual- to everyone. Hold off on launch for a few minutes. firstly, because they'll be easier to kill if we let them close, but secondly, I have an idea that could gently caress with their comms and coordination in our favor. Uh...when you get a signal from me I want you to rebroadcast it on every wave your poo poo is capable of. and blast it loud. Then we launch. Corrido out."

My fingers fly across controls, as I re-write several code passages in my headware. The coded signals to Spectre's Wraith, are themselves part of a C3 net between all the bogeys. Allowing them to move precisely and in perfect synchronization. I don't have their full encrypt scheme, so I can't just block them. But I can fuyck up enough of the RF bands in the area that we can sort of 'shout' over them and they won't hear each other over our signal. And any SOS they send out should...maybe...get eaten up too. I take a final moment scrolling my files to find just the right...yes.

srcy1ngfilez>>zz-playthru=loop10hr...exe.
I quickly copy out to everyone else with instructions for re-broadcasting my stream and the text: NOW GOGOGOGOGOGOGOGO!
Act Under Pressure 9
Well, hope it helps :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

The way Ying knows her hack works is because it works a little bit too well. As she's saying "Gogogogo," the arpeggiations of Sandstorm begin reverbing throughout the Lance as well as everyone's individual comms. It would take more diagnostics than she has time for to figure out what exactly happened, but she's pretty sure that the fact that Spectre was linked in to the Lance, and the Lance was linked to everyone, and somewhere along the line... something happened.

Immediately, everyone knows it's going to be very hard to communicate tactically throughout the battle. But, everyone also knows that the Sandstorm Ying just created exposed them, or will, if they don't finish off the JSS before they figure out a workaround.

Following Ying's signal, Jace tumbles out of the airlock. He falls through the black for a second or two before the grasshopper drones affixed to his back kick on one by one and and propel him towards the JSS Mech that's acting as a communication hub.

What do you do?

So, basically, for anything but the tersest communication, there's gonna need to be an Act Under Pressure roll -- unless Ying figures out a workaround while everyone else is fighting. Alternately, anyone can burn an HSP hold to remove the 'Sandstorm' from their own comms.

• Locked thread