Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Mahren Inaris
--:--Harm|1-armor|0/10 XP|5 Cred

I've been trying to make sure the Lance has enough life support for my new passengers for the last five and a half hours. Cups of syth-caffeine litter the ground around the command station, but I think I've finally put the power where it needs to go. I'm not used to carrying this many passengers while they're still awake and not zapped; there shouldn't be any problems after the last few hours.

"I say let's go towards Sol - Ares might still be a bit upset after the last job I pulled near Mars. Flores - just let me know where we're headed if your contact works out. I'll run the ship close to dead 'til then. Should be good around Amalthea until then. May want to bundle up because it's getting cold on the Lance."

"Fedor, feel free to pay for some new lights, I'm fresh out o' creds after the last scuttle with JSS!"

I mindlessly scroll through the SOL bounty list, though nothing going to matter there if we can't get out of JSS space. I still can't believe I didn't hide the Lance better - if I had they wouldn't have seen me after getting those storage cores with no issues. Met up with the others a few days later, all of us with the same problem. JSS wants us vaporized, and isn't going to stop looking for us for a long while.

Character Sheet posted:

Name: Mahren Inaris
Playbook: Hunter
XP:
Harm: 0:00
Armor: 1
Look: Searching Eyes; Scarred Face; Lithe Body; Hispanic Skin; Faded Coat and clothing

Edge +2
Style +1
Mind +1
Meat +0
Synth -1
Cool +0

GEAR
X-34 Thumper Heavy Revolver (3-harm close/near reload loud)
S.P.A.R.E Hand Taser (s-harm hand reload)
Armored Jacket (1-armor)
Encrypted Jamming communications relay
CRED: 5

CYBERWARE
Tactical Computer
Why: Career
Cost: Bought it myself. +unreliable

Moves
Ear to the Ground: You have a knack for loosening lips and picking up
information. When you circulate among a neighborhood or a group of people,
you may research to gather information.

It all fits together! You’re a master of making connections between seemingly
unrelated events. At the start of a mission, roll Edge. 10+: gain 3 hold.
7-9: gain 1 hold. As you put everything together during the mission, spend 1
hold at any time to ask a question from the research list.

Eye for detail: You are a master at tailing people and staking out locations. When
you perform surveillance on a person or a place, gain [intel] and roll assess.

Directives:
Network: When Mahren's family, their name, or their Business interests complicate Mahren's life / mission, mark experience.
Vengeful: When you harm the Rank 1 Hunter or their interests,
mark experience

Ship posted:

Ship Name: Obsidian Lance
Frame: Hauler
Design: Cargo Transport
Power +2, Looks +1, Weakness +1

1-Armour

Strengths: Fast, capacious
Looks: Vintage
Weakness: Guzzler

Weapons:
Autocannon (4-harm near/far area messy breach)

Cost: Alyc Crail (Drug lord) owns me for this ship. I pay bi-monthy payments to him - he says I'm close to being payed off but I don't know if that's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Mahren Inaris

"Sounds good Flores, let me know if you need anything on my end." I say, relieved.

"Profit, I'll set a prelim course for Callisto just in case Flores' contact doesn't work out."

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Mahren Inaris

"Alright Ying, thanks for the boost!" I look at my command console, happy I don't have to worry about losing power for the time being, at least. I pop open another syth-caf as I confirm coords to Callisto. "Ying, keep trying on your contact to see if we can get anything else from him, but I think think we're in agreement that Callisto is our currently best option not to get vaped. Anyone happen to have any buddies near the spinner?"

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Mahren Inaris

I sigh, but I knew we'd probably have to do a job to get out of JSS space. "I don't like it, but it sounds like our best and only option to get outta the hot zone. No offense taken, Spectre - ship's made for hauling bounty cargo and not much else." I punch in the new coords. "We're going as full speed as we can without being noticed, so it may get a little bumpy - may want to strap in. I'll see if I can find out anything about what happened and the area."

It All Fits Together![+Edge] 2d6+2 9
Gain 1 Hold

Staking 2 creds on this mission.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Mahren Inaris
--:--Harm|1-armor|1/10 XP|3 Cred

"Might want to get your ships ready - if it's a trap there's no way the Lance is prepared, the last time I got in a fight of any merit I almost had to scrap the ship. I doubt they're all dead if this guy's a good gunner. Don't get too comfy on the way over either, sounds like we should we should be prepared for just about anything." I don't want to get into a scuttle, but if it gets us out of JSS space then anything's worth it just about, especially if there's only four of them. "May even get enough cash to have better food!" I say with a smirk.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Mahren Inaris

"Guess I'm riding with you Ying - the Lance is too big to get that close and hope for escape." I begin setting up the auto systems for the ship. I set up a sequence that will lock all ways in or out including interior doors once I'm outside of the ship, and set the ship up to alert me if anyone tries to board. Power's back down due to Ying unhooking, and life support will be off once the ship's locked down. I strap on my armored jacket, and finally find my pressure suit and suit up, which isn't exactly comfortable over the jacket. I put on my revolver and taser , making sure they're both loaded and ready to go in case we get in trouble outside of Ying's ship.

"We'll need to leave last so that the ship can lock down without issues. Once I'm off the ship the Lance is shutting down everything - no way in or out unless I say so or you have a big gently caress off bomb."

Spending my hold to ask: Who or what is my biggest threat in this situation?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Mahren Inaris

"Thanks for the ride, Ying - that was quite the landing! Can't say I've been in this situation - I tend to stick to planetside missions. Think I'll back you up, Roosevelt - unless you have any objections?" I seel my suit and turn on the chemlight Roosevelt left behind. "I don't think splitting up is a great idea right now - we can't know what's on here quite yet. I figure there's a remote trap or ambush here, otherwise it wouldn't have been quite so easy to get on the ship". I pull out my revolver just in case, covering Roosevelt's back.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

"Two down at least, and I can't say I expect the others to have fared any better. Ying, can I access the video archives in one of the bedroom terminals? I'll check out one of the passages Profit and I didn't go down after I'm done."

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

"Spectre, glad you could join us! I don't think I'm going to have any luck looking at the recordings unless someone else wants to try. I agree that the bridge is our next best option, and heading there together seems best. I agree that we're being watched - anyone able to make absolutely sure those drones aren't going to attack as soon as we're not alert?"

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

"Ying, I'm heading back to your ship. Can't see any reason to stay here - everything's dead on this ship. Let's get the gently caress away from this deathtrap!"

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

While the others are busy with what they're doing, I start preparing the ship to move again. "Nice job on the link,Ying - looks like it'll hold fine. That fixes the problem of being on a mostly vaped ship with no defenses. I'll wait for word from you, Spectre - let me know if and where we're headed and I'll put us on a course. I'm almost out of synth-caf so let's hope it somewhere somewhat civilized."

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

--:--Harm|1-armor|2/10 XP|3 Cred

"We need to follow that probe somehow, but I can't see that bringing the other ship with us would be a great idea - just another way to be vulnerable. I've never sold a ship before; anyone know anyone that could take this off our hands? Lemme see what I can find out before we run head first into this, I have a bit of experience with tailing people." I begin tracking the hijackers as well as possible with info we have and without just following them, using my experience as a Hunter to hopefully help us out.

Eye for Detail Pretty eh, gain [intel] and 0 hold

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I open a large section of the wall in the "briefing" room (the only room big enough for this kind of thing), which unfolds into a small projector and data port that allows me to hook into AR. I begin going thru the info that we have so far, and start to make connections between what we know and what we could use to "sneak" up on them. I pace back and forth as much as the connection to the AR will let me, and realize I'm still not used to the amount of data running past my eyes right now. I look for anything on the hijackers - family, friends, even rumors of them so that we can track them. The hijackers seem well armed and I know even with all our transports we shouldn't be taking them head on.

I'm using my [Intel] to see if there's any way to track them and get the jump on them without being noticed until it's too late for them.

While I'm doing this, I remember an old fence I used to use when I first started out doing much smaller jobs than this. "I think I might know someone who could take our cargo off our plate, or at least knows someone who does. I'll give him a ring after I'm done analyzing our options."

Declare Contact: Sal Bennett. A fence I used when my jobs involved getting smaller objects and persons rather than a ship. I don't think he'd be willing to take a full ship, but I think that he probably knows someone who would. I'm sure he'll want something in return, though.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I make contact using AR to Sal, using a separate window from the multitude I already have open - last time I saw him he was on a station orbiting Mars, called Jericho.

"Hey Sal, long time no see. I hate to hit you with this outta the blue, but do you happen to have any interest in a derelict cargo conveyer? My crew and I happened upon it recently and we're looking for someone to take it off our hands so we don't have to drag it to who knows where. I know I've never brought something this big to you, but I know you're a smart guy and we can easily work out a deal."

I don't have any idea what the extent of what Sal will buy is, but I know he's always looking to make bigger and easier money. While I wait for his return call, I continue looking for a way to track and find our prey.

Sal's a small guy, but has some of the most piercing eyes I've ever seen. He doesn't look like much, but I know he's clever and our best bet for getting rid of our tow.

Hit the Street: 2d6+1 8
I'll go with:
Your request is going to cost you extra
Your request is going to attract unwanted attention

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

--:--Harm|1-armor|2/10 XP|2 Cred

"That sounds great, Sal - can't expect you to take such a ship outta the blue like this. I'll wire over the cred now." I switch off AR.

"I think we can start burning towards our cargo in just a sec - got some info you all might find useful. We can meet in the, uh, "briefing" room I'm in right now once we're headed towards it."

Mr E fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 10, 2016

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

"Sounds like a plan, Profit and Ying. I don't think we should burn in the same direction either. We need to take them out as fast as possible, and Profit's plan sounds about as close to that as we can get. I'll stop the Lance before we get there and we can confirm the plan again."

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I pull up the galaxy map on the terminal in the briefing room. "Looks like there's an asteroid - X-78 here - we could stash the Hilsa on or around just fine. No one's gonna look for it there, and it's way off the lanes."

I point to a thoroughly mined, but still structurally intact, asteroid that's either fallen off the shipping lanes or wasn't worth towing to be dusted.

"I think this rock's big enough that we can just place the Hilsa behind it facing the nearest shipping lane, and unless we end up interacting with our newfound friends too long it'll stay put, and we can track where it drifts on the off chance it does."

Spending my intel to find this asteroid and put a beacon where the Hilsa is once we drop it off.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I turn off the safeties on my autocannon and flip down the targeting HUD.

"Ready any time for engage; I'm planning on taking out anything any of you miss and causing as much mayhem as possible."

Hot poo poo Pilot 14 There's my good rolls! Gained 3 hold

Mr E fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 15, 2016

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

"I see 'em, Mahren, getting sights on them now."

I line up my reticle perfectly, or so I think, on the first of the pirates. I slowly squeeze the trigger and... completely miss.

"gently caress! Gonna need some help out here, or Profit's toast!"

My good rolls are now gone. Sorry Profit.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

--:--Harm|1-armor|3/10 XP|2 Cred

"I'm about to be a little distracting to our friends - get ready to take advantage of it."

I turn the Lance towards the enemy ship, and begin throttling my engines up to max. If this works as planned, I'll pull away late enough that their weapons will focus on me and they'll be open for attack from my crewmates who have proven themselves to be better shots.

"About to feign a ram - Spectre and Profit, hopefully this'll give you time to take 'em out."

The inertia of speeding up so quickly presses me back into my seat, and I head straight for their ship. After a few seconds, they've take notice of me and begin to swivel the turret to take me out. I fire some shots to distract them with no hope of actually hitting, and about quarter click away I go straight down, missing the ship by a little less than I had hoped.

"Hit the fuckers now, I think they're too scared to notice you for at least a tiny bit!"

Spent my last hold to frighten the pirate ship.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

--:--Harm|1-armor|3/10 XP|2 Cred

"Great job everyone, that ended up going much better than it could have. Looks like we made out with more than just cargo with how things turned out with Kiko, too. It'll be nice to afford some decent food for a change!"

I burn back towards the Hilsa, and set the nav computer to head towards Amardeep once the Hilsa is secured again.

"What's next? I'm sure I can dig up some new hunts on the net, and maybe get us a little closer to Earth. What does everyone think?"

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

--:--Harm|1-armor|4/10 XP|2 Cred

Now that the ship's on auto, I head down to the lounge to catch up.

"You two must be Steiger and Karensky. Name's Mahren Inaris, good to finally meet you."

I turn down the offer of a drink - who knows when I might need to take control of the ship - and I want my senses to remain sharp.

"Like Profit said, we're heading nearer towards Earth, may be able to find some jobs or hunts there. Just lemme know and we can drop you off somewhere, or you can stick around for a while."

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I knew staying sober would work out for me.

"I don't see how we can't fight!", I say as I run back to the cockpit. "Spoof their poo poo, Ying. Spectre, how likely is it that the JSS... re-allocate your mech?"

I flip my targeting UI down, but not slowing down quite yet.

"Any good ideas, Jace and Sake?"

Can I see the ship yet? How big is it, and do I recognize what type of ship it is?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

"The Lance is ready to fire any time - just need to get them in my sights. Should be able to hit a few of 'em before they even know we see them. Let me know when and I'll hit the brakes, may surprise them a bit."

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I manuever the Lance's turret towards my target. I'm not used to hitting something as small as a Mecha, but I think I'll make the shot. I line up the shot... and surprisingly am dead on.

"'Bout time I hit something!"

I just hope that I took out my target before any of the others can react.

Hot poo poo Pilot (+Synth +Plan): 2d6+2+1 11 Gain 3 Hold

Mix it Up (+Synth +Plan): 2d6+2+1 9 Meh

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I burn hard, pulling to my left to throw off his aim and get a bit closer. I hope my next volley finishes him off - it seemed to have put me at less of a disadvantage, at least.

Spent a hold to avoid the danger
Mix it Up (+Synth +Plan): 2d6+2+1 Woo!

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

"Good work, everyone. Those suits have gotta be worth something good. I agree that we shouldn't torture or deal with loving slavers, but, what should we do with the pilot? I'm slowing the Lance 'til we come to a decision on that. Any ideas?"

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

"If you're storing him I don't care what we do with him. Pick them up and I'll get ready to continue to Amardeep - we've got a first aid kit... somewhere that should stop anything that's not immediately life threatening.

What's everyone's thoughts on selling these suits to Kiko?"

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Then

Since I'm not needed during the interrogation, I decide to check in with Jace and Sake.

"Jace or Sake - any ideas with what to do with the JSS tech that wouldn't put a bigger target on us? I'm open to any ideas."

Now

With that done, I go back to my favorite mindless pastime - looking at the SOL bounty board while hoping to get a chance to gently caress over the Rank 1 Hunter or a glimpse of my old mentor Kal - though the longer it goes without seeing him, the more I think he's gone for good.

It's been a few months since I talked with my family, so I pulse out a message checking in on them and telling them I'm doing alright.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

--:--Harm|1-armor|6/10 XP|6 Cred

What was the name of that awesome movie we watched, and why is it your favorite?
Extreme Justice! I used to watch it all the time as a kid, and it made me dream of becoming a bounty hunter like the hero, Jose Ramos.

I haven't been to the Benchmarks since I was young and my parents were trying to get me to join the business. All I remember from that time is Mom and Dad talking up all their business partners. It's where the family business first got big, so I'm sure I'll see some crazy poo poo here.

I'm not used to flying with so much traffic, so most of the burn down to Venus is comprised of focusing on that.

"We obviously need to get our ships repaired - thoughts on docking at the flotillas vs. the Quetz? I'm leaning towards less eyes on us, personally, and taking the Corrido down."

I send out a ping to someone I'm sure is at the Benchmarks - Karl Gerov. While I'm sure the rest of the crew is looking for jobs, I'm specifically looking for info on Kal and the Rank 1 Hunters, as the bounty board hasn't shown as much as I'd like. Karl and I met during a bounty a few years back - I bailed him out of a sticky situation with the MPSSR and Ares in which he didn't want to give up some tech he'd made on government time.

Throwing in 3 creds for repairs - I'll wait for the rest to be spent @ the Benchmarks

Mr E fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 1, 2017

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Karl know Kal based off of reputation - Kal was also working with me at the time when I did the bounty for Gerov, and I asked him to keep an eye out for Kal when he ghosted.

"Long time no see, Karl!" I take a spot next to Gerov. "I dunno how you keep up those bots, even at half speed I can't tell what's going on. Any luck with the info I asked for? I've come up blank on any of the normal channels."

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

"What the gently caress, Kal! There's no way he'd choose to go corporate - someone's holding something over him. Guess that's my next goal - finding out what dirt they have on Kal. Thanks for the info Karl - see you around?"

I don't even know where to start on Kal. It has to be something huge for Kal to do this - he's not the kind of guy to give or take orders lightly. There's also the matter of the impostor, and why they think it's a good idea or a necessary one to impersonate him. I have my work cut out for me, and this isn't even going to pay me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I get a ping from Spectre.

//I've gotten what I need here
//I'm up for anything, need to get some frustration out - where are you?

I'll be looking up stuff to buy hopefully this week when I actually have access to my PDFs

• Locked thread