Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Kind of a bummer to see this is ending. I fell off of UX a few years ago and really only ever boot it up once or twice a year at this point (I'm not even entirely sure what sure what Dark Road is), but still I had some fun with it once upon a time. RIP Noxog.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I haven’t played this in a couple years because I couldn’t spend any more money on it and was sick of not being able to handle the high-level content... I guess I can watch the remainder of the story cutscenes at some point. Last I remember I was in Wreck-it Ralph world fighting bugs or something.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I haven’t played this in a couple years because I couldn’t spend any more money on it and was sick of not being able to handle the high-level content... I guess I can watch the remainder of the story cutscenes at some point. Last I remember I was in Wreck-it Ralph world fighting bugs or something.
Yeah that's about where I ended up in the story too. About mission 900.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The Wreck It Ralph is getting close to ending with the recent story update, after that I imagine we’ll head straight into the endgame.

I have some decent medals so I’ve been able to get through the game via attrition and skip tickets when necessary (remember, you only have to do the missions with a yellow cinema reel on them). Hopefully whatever the final boss ends up being won’t have too much in the way of bullshit.

Looks like the main game will end before Dark Road does though (which hopefully means we’ll start getting more story updates for the latter since it’s been a few months since the last one)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 25, 2021

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Can't say I'm too surprised since they announced the story would be wrapping up over a year ago, but it still feels a little abrupt seeing as how they just started to actually add some improvements to Dark Road. Despite my interest having tapered off a lot I'll still miss this game. I've been playing since day 1 and it's going to feel weird not knocking out the daily jewel missions first thing in the morning anymore.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

J-Spot posted:

Can't say I'm too surprised since they announced the story would be wrapping up over a year ago, but it still feels a little abrupt seeing as how they just started to actually add some improvements to Dark Road. Despite my interest having tapered off a lot I'll still miss this game. I've been playing since day 1 and it's going to feel weird not knocking out the daily jewel missions first thing in the morning anymore.

Speaking of, has there been any word on the next story update for Dark Road yet? It’s been at least a few months or so since the last one.

That said, it might be nice if they eventually made a console remake of UX that streamlined the game a bit. It also had some neat new Heartless designs that I wouldn’t mind seeing in a more proper title one day.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 25, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The latest update to KUX finally finished out the Wreck-It-Ralph world so I’m guessing the next story update will be the last one.

In retrospect, the game going theater mode only might might be a blessing as some of the later fights range from tedious to downright bullshit (they’ve now added attacks that bypass your defense boosts and kill you in one hit in the story mode as well).

Also apparently you can no longer buy jewels/skip tickets for some reason.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Larryb posted:

Also apparently you can no longer buy jewels/skip tickets for some reason.

Yeah, they shut down In-App Purchases the day they announced the End of Service procedures. The only Jewels you can get now are the Daily Logins, Daily/Weekly Missions, the Jewels for clearing Story Quests and Proud Mode, and the 5000 Jewels for every 50 Lux Levels past Lv. 350 (I forget which Lux Lv. was the first with a Jewel Board).

Also, the Jewels you can get from Dark Road's Mission Boards. But, again, now that's just the Weekly and Monthly Mission Boards alongside the 4* World Battle Board. So, not much at all there.

And really, the only real long term use for Jewels now is going to be Dark Road since Union Cross is just going Theater Mode, but Dark Road will still have gameplay when that gets updated post-shutdown.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Volfogg posted:

Yeah, they shut down In-App Purchases the day they announced the End of Service procedures. The only Jewels you can get now are the Daily Logins, Daily/Weekly Missions, the Jewels for clearing Story Quests and Proud Mode, and the 5000 Jewels for every 50 Lux Levels past Lv. 350 (I forget which Lux Lv. was the first with a Jewel Board).

Also, the Jewels you can get from Dark Road's Mission Boards. But, again, now that's just the Weekly and Monthly Mission Boards alongside the 4* World Battle Board. So, not much at all there.

And really, the only real long term use for Jewels now is going to be Dark Road since Union Cross is just going Theater Mode, but Dark Road will still have gameplay when that gets updated post-shutdown.

True, the next story update will literally be the end of UX after all. Not sure how much longer Dark Road is going to go on for though.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I used my skip tickets, for the first time ever, cuz these last story fights suck and I'll be damned if I don't see the finale with my own two eyes before the theater mode switch.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I wish I’d realized that skipping a story mission still adds the missed cutscenes to theatre mode before I blew most of my jewels on the Nightmare Cy-Bug, though I had an easier time with Darkness considering your teammates do a ton of damage to him at the end of the turn.

Though if this is the kind of stuff they’re throwing at us by the end I can only imagine that the final boss is going to be a bitch to fight (also I really hate that they added insta-kill attacks that bypass your defense boosts to the story mode now as well)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 27, 2021

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

The Hunter

So, uh, it turns out that the game's closure is being pushed back a bit. This has only been announced for the JPN side, but something should come up for the Global side some time soon (hopefully) with the new Global closure date (provided there is one, which is likely).

So, what's happening is that JPN's closure date was planned for April 30th, but that's now being pushed back to June 17th, and the final story update is also being split into two parts.

We don't know exactly when we'll be getting the final chapters, or if the game will now end worldwide on June 17th, but that's all we know for now.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Volfogg posted:

So, uh, it turns out that the game's closure is being pushed back a bit. This has only been announced for the JPN side, but something should come up for the Global side some time soon (hopefully) with the new Global closure date (provided there is one, which is likely).

So, what's happening is that JPN's closure date was planned for April 30th, but that's now being pushed back to June 17th, and the final story update is also being split into two parts.

We don't know exactly when we'll be getting the final chapters, or if the game will now end worldwide on June 17th, but that's all we know for now.

Has there been any word on when they plan to start updating Dark Road again? I believe they said it would last a bit longer than KUX will.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The most recent UX story update was just a cutscene so I'm curious whether Darkness was indeed the final boss and the remaining portion of the game is just the ending or if there will be a bit more gameplay in the final update.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Apr 30, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/kh_ux_na/status/1393258682469666824

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

KHUX continues its descent towards the end as now the PvP mode in the Colosseum appears to be over as well. I’m curious if there’s any more gameplay left in the main story or if the rest will just be the ending.

I’m also curious how much longer Dark Road will continue on afterwards (at this rate it seems like it’ll just be a short game with only two worlds).

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

From what I recall, Dark Road is planned to continue, at least a bit, but it won't be until the Offline version is completed, so, not for a couple months. That's what the Save User Data button is for, to save your data before the servers go down, so your data is already saved and prepared for the offline versions when those updates go live.

Just make sure you hit that button once you've finished everything before the final day of service, and don't delete the app.

Also, yeah, PvP Coliseum is now over. PvE Coliseum will continue through to the closure with one more set of enemies, and one more Victory title come June 1st. The Daily Missions have been updated to reflect the end of PvP by removing the "Participate in PvP Coliseum 1 Time" mission, and making the Raid Boss mission give 200 Jewels.

On that note, unless the Raid Boss randomly changes on Monday or Tuesday, this is the final Raid Boss, and it likely won't be changing attributes. And come June 1st, Raid Bosses will no longer cost 90 AP, or 5 AP. The Raid Boss quests will cost 0 AP during the final days.

If you've completed everything you planned to, or wanted to, and aren't trying to maximize your Album Completion, remember that the best place to use your Jewels will actually be the Card Draws in Dark Road, and also, don't forget to spend all of your Shop Points in Dark Road before end of service. After all, those will disappear, and when the offline version begins, you'll actually use the BP you earned to purchase cards. The Monthly Missions will reset one more time, and the Weekly Missions should still update every week until the servers close.

Man, I still have a lot to do myself. I still haven't even caught up with the story. Just by not doing so. Can't really think of anything else to say, so I'll just leave it at that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So just to clarify, will the offline version of the game be a separate app you’ll have to download or will the normal version become the offline version via an update or something?

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

It will be the same app, just updated. The current app will be switched to the offline versions when applicable. Union Cross' offline version will go live after the End of Service maintenance. Dark Road's offline version won't be ready for a few months IIRC, so (I believe) it won't be playable between End of Service and when the Dark Road offline update is ready/complete.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The offline version of UX will mostly just be the theater mode with most if not all of the gameplay removed right? Not sure what the problem with just leaving the story missions intact would have been though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Final story update tomorrow (in Japan at least, not sure if it’ll hit the west at the same time):

https://twitter.com/KHUX_PR/status/1398232593217241092

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

No UX update today it would seem, guess we won’t be getting the ending in the west until a little later on

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Another question, will jewels mean anything anymore in the offline version or should I just go ahead and blow the whole load once UX is finished?

Also while it’s not out in the west yet, somebody transcribed the ending to the game if you’re interested (major spoilers of course):

https://www.khinsider.com/news/KINGDOM-HEARTS-Union-X-Finale-18484

All I’m going to say is that it’s very….Kingdom Hearts to say the least.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Larryb posted:

Another question, will jewels mean anything anymore in the offline version or should I just go ahead and blow the whole load once UX is finished?

Short answer: Jewels will have zero use once online service ends. Use them all before the final End of Service Maintenance.

Long answer:

Union Cross will basically be purely a Theater Mode with avatar customization options. There is no use for Jewels there.

When Dark Road's offline update happens, it will let you use the BP you've earned to purchase cards individually, and I believe that the Shop Banners will be discontinued as well. So, again, Jewels will have zero use there.

The best way to use your Jewels before the final day of service is to use all of your Jewels on the Card Draws in Dark Road (and any Shop Points you'll have on individual cards) since your Card Album and Enemy Album will carry over to the offline version of that if you keep your save data between the end of service, and Dark Road's offline update. Just remember to hit the Save Player Data button on the title screen BEFORE the final End of Service Maintenance begins. It will only keep your most recent save/backup of your Player Data, and only on that particular device.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Good to know, at the moment I’m basically saving them up in case the final battle of UX has some annoying gimmick added to it and I need to resort to winning via attrition (since I’m out of Skip Tickets and those are no longer available for purchase)

Also I hope they reorganize the Theater Mode so the cutscenes are listed chronologically rather than by individual world (adding some of the event only scenes could be fun as well)

Finally, apparently the level up system for Dark Road caps out at 60, so with enough of those star things I forget the name of and a decent deck I shouldn’t really have any problems with the rest of the game (I still hope there’s more than just two worlds though).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jun 4, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 6, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Assuming there’s any footage of the final battle, is it just a straight fight or did they throw some annoying gimmick in like they have for a lot of the other bosses in the game (I’m just wondering if I should save my jewels up in case I need to win via attrition or if there are any particular medals I should try to get or not use in order to make things easier)?

I ask mainly because I’m out of Skip Tickets and a lot of the more recent bosses have been either extremely tedious or a major pain in the rear end so I just want to go in prepared this time.

Here’s my current loadout for reference:

Keyblade: Bad Guy Breaker

Medals: I forget the exact names but Namine (the one that fully restores your health and MP) with Second Chance, two of the medals that feature GBA Sora running, Classic Mickey, Aerith. and Boy In White all with the highest attack boost available

Spirit Slot: the Terra medal that’s facing to the side with his Keyblade out equipped with the highest defense boost available

In other words, mostly a Power focused deck with a few Speed and Magic medals here and there.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I haven’t gotten around to playing it yet but the final story update in UX just got released in the west.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Finished the final quest with nothing but Supernova spam. Now I guess it's time to look up Youtube videos to explain everything. So the player character's heart goes into baby Xehanort? Did it stay with him when he took over Terra's body? Do we have a nobody like Roxas running around somewhere?

I've already maxed out the album on Dark Road so I've just been throwing my jewels at the 7* banner to see how high I can get my KHUX album completion. Looks like I'm ending the game on an even 96% with 1853 medals out of 1930. Most of what I'm missing are impossible to get.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I haven’t played it yet but are there any particular gimmicks to the final battle I should watch out for or did they actually give us a fair fight?

Apparently Dark Road won’t be updated again until the offline version comes out so I’m curious how much longer that game will actually be (I’m still hoping there’s at least one more world besides Wonderland and Agrabah). I’m already fully maxed out in terms of levels (it caps at 60 apparently) so I shouldn’t really have much of a problem with the rest at least.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 9, 2021

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Larryb posted:

I haven’t played it yet but are there any particular gimmicks to the final battle I should watch out for or did they actually give us a fair fight?

No gimmicks.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

J-Spot posted:

No gimmicks.

Meaning they take normal damage, don’t reflect/absorb/counterattack any of your moves and your defense boosts actually mean something?

If so then thank Christ, a lot of the latter boss battles were really annoying to me.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Larryb posted:

Meaning they take normal damage, don’t reflect/absorb/counterattack any of your moves and your defense boosts actually mean something?

If so then thank Christ, a lot of the latter boss battles were really annoying to me.

No reflect/absorb/counterattack that I saw. If you have no defensive buffs they can pierce a defense boost VIII but with two procs of SN+ Flood you can withstand their attacks. I'll share mine.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Basically, if you could defeat the other most recent boss in Story Mode, you should have little issue.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Any particularly good medals you'd recommend for this (and does it matter what Keyblade I use)? Also do I have to drain their entire massive amount of HP or does the fight end on its own at some point?

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Larryb posted:

Any particularly good medals you'd recommend for this (and does it matter what Keyblade I use)? Also do I have to drain their entire massive amount of HP or does the fight end on its own at some point?

for the final quest, just bring your best mono speed deck and spam supernovas and special attacks until they're out of HP.

There's nothing crazy about this one in terms of the fight itself

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Anyway, I finally beat them (ultimately by just saying "gently caress defense", and letting them kill me since I had a lot of jewels to spare so I could hack off large chunks of their health by using Super Nova attacks over and over again). Though I'll see about buying some new medals in case I ever want to do it legit before the game goes cutscene only, any you'd recommend?

Also is there any point in tackling Proud Mode (like a different ending or something) or is it just an extra challenge?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 9, 2021

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Larryb posted:

Also is there any point in tackling Proud Mode (like a different ending or something) or is it just an extra challenge?

It's just an extra challenge version of story mode with better rewards. The best keyblades were obtained from there but at this point there's not really any reason to bother with it unless you want extra jewels to do Dark Road pulls or something.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So just checking, is there going to be another Raid Event or does the current one basically serve as a countdown until the game swaps over to the offline version.

For that matter, why exactly are they stripping out the gameplay for UX in that version but not for Dark Road?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Larryb posted:

So just checking, is there going to be another Raid Event or does the current one basically serve as a countdown until the game swaps over to the offline version.

For that matter, why exactly are they stripping out the gameplay for UX in that version but not for Dark Road?

The current raid event is the final one. I don't know exactly why they're doing an offline Dark Road but I imagine it's much less complicated to retrofit into an offline game than KHUX would be. There's not really anything to do apart from story mode and auto grinding, and there's already a way to purchase whatever cards you want outside of gacha pulls. I imagine they'll just make a way for players to grind for shop points or let you buy stuff with BP. UX is way more dependent on gacha pulls, material farming, and event rewards so it would probably take a ton of work to balance all of that in a way that would work offline.