Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I don't understand the gimmick to the new Lexaeus fight. He randomly counterattacks? I can't get his HP down fast enough before he randomly kills me in the middle of my turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

I don't understand the gimmick to the new Lexaeus fight. He randomly counterattacks? I can't get his HP down fast enough before he randomly kills me in the middle of my turn.

The counterattack seems to occur when he’s at 33% health and then again at 5%. You need him to counter before the end of the second turn and then you need to make sure your last attack doesn’t get him under 5%. This could involve skipping certain attacks so you can get bigger hits in.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Version 2.6 is coming on Friday, but Japan just got it a few hours ago and news is trickling in. All medals now have the ability to be upgraded to 7* which provides an absolutely massive boost to their stats. Take the old tier 4 HD Sora medal for example. When maxed out the 6* version has 7356 strength and a multiplier of 7.08%. When upgraded to a 7*, that goes up to 12121 strength with a multiplier of 11.13, plus it gets an extra +3 upright buff on to the special attack. That's a bigger hit than any of the current tier 8 EX medals if you're hitting with max buffs.

To evolve from 6* to 7* you need Blue Fairy medals. Each guilt tier has its own Blue Fairy, so you need five tier 4 Blue Fairy medals to upgrade a tier 4 medal. The catch is that Blue Fairy medals come from random draws. Playing PvP mode rewards you with draw tickets. Bronze tickets can draw tier 1-3 fairies, silver tickets can draw tier 3-8, and Gold tickets tier 5-8. Right now bronze tickets can be earned through progression, but silver and gold tickets are leader board ranking rewards. You can probably start getting some tier 3 7*'s right away, but don't expect to be evolving your Key Art 16 any time soon.

PvP is a new option in the coliseum. It's an asynchronous mode where your opponent is simply computer controlled but uses the setup of a real player. You get to choose your opponent and can see their basic strength and defense stats, but you don't get to preview their medals. Players take turns using all of the medals on their keyblade, and then you switch to the next keyblade. Everything appears to work as you'd normally expect including defense boosts and status effects so I think we'll see some interesting tactics. You only get a set number of tries per day, although if you have VIP you get a couple more.

The other big new thing is keyblade subslots. These work similar to the pet inventory in that you're just adding medals to a board to get a bonus, but you do have to properly match attributes to the slot and there is a set order to it. Each medal you add increases all of the slot multipliers by a small amount, with higher guilt tiers providing better multipliers. Only 7* medals can be added to subslots.

There's a few other small additions in the update:
  • Story quests that don't have cut scenes can be skipped.
  • Keyblades take less material to level up and no longer require Orichalcum. The old Orichalcum quests will be removed.
  • You can now fuse lower rarity versions of medals to higher rarity versions to roll traits (e.g. 3* can be fused to 5*).
  • Inventory space has been expanded to 2000.
  • Medal filters for higher guilt tiers and reverse/upright buffs.
  • Push notices can be enabled for when someone in the party hits the lux button.
  • Moogle of Glory quest is always available
  • Game now displays properly on iPhone.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 23, 2018

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

J-Spot posted:

7* tied to LOLPVP

So, no upgrades for me. Alright.

J-Spot posted:

There's a few other small additions in the update:
  • Medal filters for higher guilt tiers and dark/light buffs.

And yet, we still can't sort medals by name, or, when viewing them, swipe left or right to go to the previous/next medal. :argh:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Does that mean I can finally upgrade my phone to iOS11? Jk I wouldn't do that anyway

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Kheldarn posted:

I think during that event they had last month they may have said the evolve materials would also be available through other means like events and coliseum. I imagine it will be just like all the other rewards in this game where it will start out scarce and then gradually they give away more and more.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

J-Spot posted:

I think during that event they had last month they may have said the evolve materials would also be available through other means like events and coliseum. I imagine it will be just like all the other rewards in this game where it will start out scarce and then gradually they give away more and more.

True. But, like I do with the other stuff like that, I'll forget about it while I do other things. :v:

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Kheldarn posted:

And yet, we still can't sort medals by name, or, when viewing them, swipe left or right to go to the previous/next medal. :argh:

yeah, the silver and gold tickets being tied to leader boards at least for now, feels like 7* upgrades are going to be way too hard

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I'm not entirely clear on how you climb the leader boards effectively. From what I gathered from the stream I watched the game gives you a choice of 3 opponents who are higher rank than you. If you beat them you overtake their rank, so to get the most out of your limited number of turns I guess you want to go with the highest ranked person, but then you're taking more of a risk that you'll lose and not move up at all.

It should be pretty easy to get a tier 3 to 7*, and some of them are definitely worth it. Between the strength and multiplier boost Saix B can hit harder than Warrior of Light assuming buffs are equal.

On another topic, it's been hinted that the new KHUX exclusive Disney world will be Wreck-It Ralph's arcade.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 24, 2018

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Looks like my PVP requires Darkgnaw which I’m about 250 Proud quests away from getting. Cool. Cool.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Yeah they have been saying that since PvP was announced, and they even had Union Cross quests earlier in the month that powered up Darkgnaw specifically for that reason.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

Nemo posted:

Looks like my PVP requires Darkgnaw which I’m about 250 Proud quests away from getting. Cool. Cool.

You can still play, but if you don’t win both of the first rounds, you automatically lose. Unless your opponent is also missing darkgnaw, I don’t know what happens then.

It seems like I’m probably a few months away from ever getting a tier 8 medal to seven stars, but the plus side is I can go back to all those tier-3-and-below proud quests I couldn’t one-turn. Now I just need more than one single random attack medal and I think I’ll be able to get all the proud mode ores.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I've been perusing the upgrades and salivating at the potential of various medals. If you manage to get enough to bring a tier 3 to 7*, there are a few interesting options. Most of the tier 3 HSC medals now provide a +3 buff to upright or reverse attack. Also, a lot of the medals that were previously nerfed in the global version are brought up to their original stats. For example, Maui and Moana go from costing 3 gauges to costing nothing while also restoring 6 gauges. The World of Final Fantasy medals get their cost reduced by one, their buffs increased from two to three turns, and they also get +3 to upright or reverse attack. Could be very helpful for proud mode or tier 3 challenges.

It's not advertised but it looks like if you manage to pull a tier 4 7* from one of the new banners it can (will?) come equipped with a good skill such as AB6max or AB5GA0.

Also, I thought it might be worth noting that you can change the order of your keyblades in PvP by dragging them around. Seems like everyone I'm playing against kept the default order.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 25, 2018

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!

Jothan posted:

You can still play, but if you don’t win both of the first rounds, you automatically lose. Unless your opponent is also missing darkgnaw, I don’t know what happens then.

It just happened to me. She won, then I won, then neither of us had Darkgnaw so it was a draw. It ended in a draw I got 50 points. I don’t think it changed my ranking.

I guess I’ll have to power through Proud Mode. I just wish it was less of a chore. You have to slog though the boring early quests all over again, except things are slightly stronger and you have to babysit your keyblade layout after every quest.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Here's what I've gathered about the PvP in the five matches I have played:

Use defense boosts. Even Defense Boost I Max can help you beat an evenly matched opponent. They are pretty much mandatory at higher ranks.

I wish the skill leveling special quest was part of the VIP package this week, I desperately need to level up some skills.

Edit: I'm gonna try using the Anti-Sora copy medal which has triple threat on my Sleeping Lion, will report back if negative statuses help or not

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 25, 2018

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

I wish the skill leveling special quest was part of the VIP package this week, I desperately need to level up some skills.

One wish coming right up! As of today the skill quest is available permanently in VIP and on weekends for everyone!

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

Edit: I'm gonna try using the Anti-Sora copy medal which has triple threat on my Sleeping Lion, will report back if negative statuses help or not

You'd probably have to try status effects on multiple rounds. I think anyone worth using status effects on is going to have their pet rank up enough to esuna it away. The question then becomes whether the esuna triggers on subsequent rounds.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 25, 2018

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

J-Spot posted:

One wish coming right up! As of today the skill quest is available permanently in VIP and on weekends for everyone!

I thought you were joking but I just checked and it's true!!!!

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Nemo posted:

It just happened to me. She won, then I won, then neither of us had Darkgnaw so it was a draw. It ended in a draw I got 50 points. I don’t think it changed my ranking.

I guess I’ll have to power through Proud Mode. I just wish it was less of a chore. You have to slog though the boring early quests all over again, except things are slightly stronger and you have to babysit your keyblade layout after every quest.
I've been at Proud for 2 straight weeks now and just finally went from 60 to 328 for DarkGnaw. Took 4 Forced Skip Tickets to get past some horrible boss setups.
Now to get to Missing Ache...

Luckily for you they added Optimize today, which massively, massively reduces the time wasted regearing your keyblade every single drat quest.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
After spending my free tickets, I've got enough blue fairies to upgrade a few tier 1s and 2s and one tier 3. Any suggestions for good medals to bump up to Seven Stars?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Check the subslots. I found Reversed Power medals and Magic medals being the most necessary.

Also my PVP is bugged and I've had 0 Daily Tries since Friday after doing only 2 matches. Nice job testing your systems devs.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

DanielCross posted:

After spending my free tickets, I've got enough blue fairies to upgrade a few tier 1s and 2s and one tier 3. Any suggestions for good medals to bump up to Seven Stars?

For tier 1 and 2 I agree with HGH that you should just focus on things that can occupy subslots. For tier 3 the Organization XIII event medals are pretty good particularly the later single target medals. If you managed to get any of the tier 3 HSC medals most of those get extra buffs as do you the world of final fantasy medals. If you don’t have any of those just use something with a decent multiplier. Could come in handy for tier 3 challenges at least.

HGH posted:

Also my PVP is bugged and I've had 0 Daily Tries since Friday after doing only 2 matches. Nice job testing your systems devs.

That is so weird. Were you playing when the reset would have happened (midnight pacific time I guess)?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Yep, first match was 2 minutes before the reset. Went and collected jewels from it. Second match was during the reset, got jewels from it and daily tries have been set to 0 since. Submitted a support ticket for it now.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

J-Spot posted:

You'd probably have to try status effects on multiple rounds. I think anyone worth using status effects on is going to have their pet rank up enough to esuna it away. The question then becomes whether the esuna triggers on subsequent rounds.
So I ran into someone using a status effect build this morning and can confirm it is both effective and infuriating. What they did was basically forfeit their first turn with a weak setup that had a few of the old status+ skills on it. I got hit with paralysis and the pet esuna kicked in. The next turn they had a ok setup that finished with Triple Threat, which put me to sleep for my first two attacks and prevented me from getting off my main buffs. They saved their best setup for last where I just have a so-so Sleeping Lion build and easily bested me. I may be inspired to pull on that Triple Threat II banner to duplicate that strategy during months where we're forced to use something like Missing Ache where I just have no chance at a decent build.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

i like that they introduced a PvP mode and in only a couple days players have managed to make it completely unfun

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Square support finally replied about my PVP issue asking me for phone details. Not sure how much that helps when this is a clearly a server side issue. And I worked so hard trying to get Darkgnaw before the update... Ah well.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The PVP is bullshit, if your opponent gives you a negative status in the first round and your pet does Esuna, your opponent goes first in the second round and can hit you with Triple Threat and basically guarantee they win that round. It sucks. I had to buff my first Keyblade setup to compensate. I should also probably adjust my medals on my second Keyblade, I have Triple Threat on the first medal which means sleep ruins my strategy.

Edit: it's taking all my restraint not to buy VIP today so I can do five more tries in PvP, since I improved my setup and want more tickets drat it!!

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

The PVP is bullshit, if your opponent gives you a negative status in the first round and your pet does Esuna, your opponent goes first in the second round and can hit you with Triple Threat and basically guarantee they win that round. It sucks. I had to buff my first Keyblade setup to compensate. I should also probably adjust my medals on my second Keyblade, I have Triple Threat on the first medal which means sleep ruins my strategy.

Edit: it's taking all my restraint not to buy VIP today so I can do five more tries in PvP, since I improved my setup and want more tickets drat it!!
The status effects are infuriating but I’ve taken the “if you can’t beat them, join them” approach and tried it myself. Works ok as long as triple threat actually procs.

The ranking system is so stupid. If you want a good rank be prepared to play just before reset because you’ll sink like a stone if you don’t!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I stand by my statement that PVP has no business in this game.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Kheldarn posted:

I stand by my statement that PVP has no business in this game.

the only good pvp in the series was the versus mode in the original GBA chain of memories

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

PvP is going to be weekly instead of monthly, which makes way more sense I think. Also I am tempted by this falling price deal for 7* medals.

If I get a 7* medal that I already have the 6* version of, does it make sense to feed my 6* version to it to roll a skill? That's kind of a tough decision.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Woke up in the middle of the night to shore up my position in the top 500. I’d say it was worth it since I managed to pull enough tier 7 fairies to bring Warrior of Light up to 7*. The last half hour is pretty rough going. I started off blocked by someone already fighting me (and winning) then had a hard time finding opponents who weren’t already in a battle. I would have tried my luck breaking into the top 100 but didn’t want to risk leaving myself exposed with an offensive build while I tried to find opponents. I ended up just switching to my defensive build and biding my time in whatever battles I could get into until a minute before reset.

HGH posted:

Square support finally replied about my PVP issue asking me for phone details. Not sure how much that helps when this is a clearly a server side issue. And I worked so hard trying to get Darkgnaw before the update... Ah well.
Did the reset last night fix the problem?

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

If I get a 7* medal that I already have the 6* version of, does it make sense to feed my 6* version to it to roll a skill? That's kind of a tough decision.
I would say it depends on what traits your 6* already has. If it’s really good you might want to hold off until you can evolve it naturally.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I actually got an email before the reset saying they fixed my issue. Couldn't check beforehand but sure as day I had all 5 tries when I logged in this morning.
Although I ended up the first week at rank 46000 or so.

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord
My first seven star draw was Hayner.

I'm pretty sure this was karmic retribution for the fact that I started during that 8 million download event and just got a bunch of poo poo dumped in my lap from the word go.

Are there any Noxog spots open? I'm already in Vulpes but have been running with randoms.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Zeth posted:

My first seven star draw was Hayner.

I'm pretty sure this was karmic retribution for the fact that I started during that 8 million download event and just got a bunch of poo poo dumped in my lap from the word go.

Are there any Noxog spots open? I'm already in Vulpes but have been running with randoms.
I’m pretty sure we can make room. Post your user ID.

I didn’t even realize Hayner was in the 7* pool. That sucks.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I did the 7* Banner and got Sora & Donald & Goofy A 7*, but it also gave me Goofy B and Phil at 7*.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Wait I thought it was a guaranteed tier 4 7*? Is that not true?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I did the T4 7* Falling Price Deal banner. It gave me those 3 7* Medals.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Well yeah but isn't Hayner a Tier 1? I was confused by that earlier post

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 5, 2018

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

You're guaranteed a Tier 4 7* Medal from the current banner, but you can still pull extra 7*s, and those can be any Tier 1-4 Medal.

At least it's not the last set of banners where you had to do a 5 Pull Mercy for a single specific guaranteed Tier 4, so you were typically getting stuck with Tier 1/2 7*s.

And speaking of the current banners...

(It came with Triple Threat II)

And my first pull on it was Illustrated Aqua A. So, now I just need Illus. Ventus A, and I'll have all of the last banner sets' Mercy Pulls. :v:

Also, I rolled Aerial DEF -60% on Axel thanks to a 0 Dot 6* copy I've had for quite some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Just got HD Axel 7* myself, though not boosted, and with Attack Boost VI MAX. I also pulled a 7* Sephiroth with boosted STR and Triple Threat II.

My Goofy B didn't come with a skill, but my Phil came with lame old Attack Boost I, and my Sora & Donald & Goofy A came with nice old Attack B V MAX & Lux+.

I now have at least one 7* for each color, so I'm happy.