Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Hajime Sakai

Hajime casually slips his hands into his pockets; when they come back out, the knuckle dusters are on.

"Never been here myself. Far as I know, giving bad vibes is all it's done. Oh, there's probably plenty of rumors of people going missing here, but no news stories I can think of. Can't say anything here is particularly giving me the creeps just yet. Maybe it only hits when you go inside?"

As if to demonstrate, Hajime walks over to the front door and peeks in, keeping his senses open - especially that secret one, the unique one. That stranger who claimed to know ma told him about it. It's how you see the gears behind the walls that the others don't see. For Hajime, it's not a matter of opening that sense up - it's a matter of not trying to keep it shut.

Investigation: 4d10h8 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yukimura Tomoe

Tomoe crouches by the plants, hand to her chin as she adopts the thinker's pose. Rising, she looks over to the farmer. "Did you have any left?", she asks curiously, walking towards the farmer. The idea they might serve as bait seems silly, but she's grasping at straws... or leaves, in this case. But the family probably bought him out already. "Ever hear of anything like this happening before?"

Eye for the Strange has 4 successes... so close to exceptional.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Library

Alright, the library. Just gotta ignore the manga and try to get to work....

But what am I even looking for? Doing in-depth research without a basis to go on would only waste time, but I can work on some basic stuff while they find out something for me to research...

Int+Aca instant-action
[6d10=3, 4, 3, 7, 2, 7]

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Teke House

I Am Just a Box posted:

Wits + Animal Ken to notice any signs of unusual wild animal behavior around the house lately.
[20:59] <skybot> Iamjustabox: 20 (4d10=7, 3, 1, 9)

It's hard to say what's unusual around the teke house. There's a lot of spider webs, but that's normal. No weird footprints around. There is a hole ripped in one of the walls, looks gnawed around the edges, like a fox or wild dog might've been enelarging a hole that was already there. Now, it's big enough that an animal around the size of a midsize dog could go in and out. A few spiders have started to colonize it, but they can't have been there more than a day or so.

The entire place gives you a funny feeling. As you pass through the ground, you stop, recognizing the remains of an old salt trail around the steps. Someone, at some point, laid down a line of salt. Traditional spirit ward, that. Mostly for ghosts.

MollyMetroid posted:

Also rolling Wits+Occult for any supernatural signs...
[11:17] <skybot> MollyMetroid: 27 (6d10=6, 1, 4, 4, 4, 8)

Oh.

As Keiko examines the salt, something catches your eye. In a high window, you spot a hand. It's pale, corpselike in pallor, and it brushes against the broken glass for a moment. Your stomach lurches as you watch it, and it is gone quickly, its owner moving away form the window. After a moment, you realize that even though the others looked in that direction, they didn't see anything in the window.

Hajime is the first to enter the house. The door creaks loudly as he pushes it. No gears here, at least. No whirring metal teeth and springs. The inside of the house is dark, and his own shadow looks foreign as he steps through the door. The strange thing, though, is that...well, there's furniture. No one's scavenged the place. The walls within are unbroken, though the wallpaper is torn. A table sits in the hall, pristine but for the caked layers of dust. Spiders scurry about. The front hall has a few rooms branching off, the table sitting between two doors and one more across from it. A staircase is off to the right, leading up.

The bannister ot the stairs is broken, but the stairs are intact. As he steps in, Hajime's eyes are drawn to the table, however. It is, as noted, dust-caked. But not in one place. Something was lying on it - something oval. It's not there any more. From the size, maybe a plate or platter? A bowl? Hard to guess. One of the three doors near the table is open - the one across from it. Hajime cannot be sure, but he thinks there's a scratching noise coming from the doorway.

Cabbage Field

Donut Ouroboros posted:

Wits + Investigation to try and see if whatever wrecked the field left any evidence behind.

<skybot> Donut: 22 (4d10=4, 9, 5, 4)

The field is a mess. However, after a few minutes of searching, there are some odd footprints. They're not wearing shoes, and the footprints seem to almost have clawmarks where the toes would be. That's really quite odd. They're mostly around the torn up cabbages. Some threads are stuck on a fence - clothing, perhaps, that got caught there? The threads are a dark green color, and rough.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Eye for the Strange has 4 successes... so close to exceptional.

"None in this field. The other fields were intact, but..." The man sighs. "Every single head in this field either got torn up or damaged. I don't understand it at all."

And that makes sense, because this was no ordinary vandalism. Tomoe can feel it in her bones. Something did this - not someone. This was a creature, a monster, not a person. A vandal might have been this thorough, but the cabbage leaves have tooth marks on them. Sharp ones. And those that are shredded - well, it would make no sense to vandalize it this way, it'd need at least three different tools. No - this had to have been something unnatural.

So, good news: not a competitor loving with you!

Library

There's just too much material here - none of the others have asked for help, so Kazuma just wanders into the occult section and grabs some books at random.

Oh hey, it looks like you can make a love charm with someone's hair and a collection of common forest herbs!

Oh look - a new light novel just came out! This one's about a guy who has a witch living at his house for a homestay.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Tachibana Akemi

"There is a presence here," I whisper to the others--then notice that Sakai-san has entered the building already. I hurry to follow him, to at least warn him as well. Inuki stays at my heel, a comfort entering the house.

"A ghost is here," I say, entering the house behind Sakai. "We should proceed with caution."

Same stats to once again look for more signs of the supernatural--or see that ghost before it jumps one of us~

[22:57] <skybot> MollyMetroid: 29 (6d10=4, 6, 6, 5, 7, 1)

Oh. Oh...good.

Donut Ouroboros
Mar 12, 2013

Claw marks. Is it a bear? No, bears don't have feet shaped like that--and there's no way in hell a single bear could've done this much damage. The threads, though, that's the kicker. Watanabe gingerly plucks them off the fence, and brings them back to Tomoe and the farmer. "We've got a lead," he says, showing the farmer the threads. "And that's a start. Don't worry, ojisan. We've got a guy who can figure this out." Once that's taken care of, Watanabe heads back towards the field, motioning for Tomoe to follow; once they're out of earshot, they can get down to business.

"It had claws," Ryuu says. "Like a bear, but it walks more like a person. And last I checked, bears don't wear clothes." He smiles, but there's worry behind it. "Did you find anything else?" Then: "We'd better get this back to Shotaro. If he's reading manga while we're out here..."

And sure enough, Shotaro gets a message on his cellphone--pictures of the footprints and the strange green threads.

"Found these in the field. Farmer says the other two fields were untouched, but this was most of his crop.

--Ryuu"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yukimura Tomoe

Cabbage Field

Taking a few pictures herself, Tomoe walks over to Ryuu, taking a moment to tuck her hair back away from her face. "Yeah, those were tooth marks, I'm sure.", she says with a sigh. She's not eager to run into a monster like this, after all, one that presumably can't be reasoned with. "I mean, it'd be possible to fake it, but it'd take too long to do, they would've gotten caught." Rolling her eyes, she shakes her head. "Ugh, that miko is going to turn out to be totally right, isn't she? I hope they're safe, at least. We better keep moving and get back to the library."

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Izumi Sakuya

The teke house

"Well, I was a kid at the time. Nobody teaches you these things," Sakuya says, rising from her peering crouch. She follows Keiko across the garden towards the house, stuffing her hands in the pockets of her jacket. "You done much squatting? You don't look it... but I guess you must do a lot of travellin', huh." That dialect of hers. Sakuya's not very bright, she can't place it, but she knows enough to recognize it's from pretty far off. It may not be as thick as Sakuya's slurring, but it's much less local. "Me, I was a street kid for awhile." There's a hardness, a resistance to Sakuya's words normally, that just slightly recedes when she breaches the topic.

She takes a wide step over a prickle of thorns to follow Hajime and Akemi over the threshold. "Yeah, well," she says, peering over the spot on the table missing its proper coat of dust. "Even if there's some kind of ghost lingering here, it might not be what we're looking for. You see that hole low in the wall? Spiderwebs all over this place, but that hole's wide open, and the dust's been kicked up around it besides. Could be a wild dog, tanuki, or... y'know, something weirder. And maybe it's been taking poo poo."

She glances around the room, flips her phone open to use the backlight to illuminate the deeper recesses of the house, and steps forward, gripping the rim of the open door to peer around into the room beyond. "Hey, scratchy! Long time no see. You remember me?" she calls out into the house. "Seen anything weird around?"

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at 09:04 on May 11, 2016

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

I open my mouth to object that whatever else may be here, I have seen the ghost and don't wish to antagonize it--but I am too slow; Izumi-san's flippant greeting to the spirit makes me wince. "We should be careful," I repeat quietly but urgently. "And respectful...the spirit here may be unwelcoming but we are the intruders." I try to recall what I would need to perform an exorcism or at least a warding if things start to go badly. It's...not going to be easy with just what I have in the pockets of my casual clothes, I'm sure of that.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Hajime Sakai

Hajime gives Akemi the most serious look he can.

"This place LOOKS pretty drat haunted. Usually this furniture would've rotted away or gotten scavanged. There's that scratching noise. And something was on that table, and was gone when I blinked. So, this is very important, Tachibana-san - you're the expert, and you'd know more then anyone else. Can ghosts be punched?"

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

"We are not trying to punch the ghost!" I exclaim, realizing too late that I've raised my voice.

I reiterate more quietly, "We are not here to fight anything! We're gathering information, and then if action is warranted, we can come back better equipped." Which should have been the obvious course of action, and now that I've said it aloud, I feel like we should withdraw and regroup with more appropriate preparations, especially with the spirit possibly listening to everything we say.

"Maybe we should just do that now," I add nervously. "I'm not sure there's anything I can do with what I have with me."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Hajime Sakai

Akemi gets a nod.

"If it attacks us though, I'm gonna try to punch it. Well! Nothing to do but to do it!"

Hajime walks right in through the door and strides over to the table!

"This thing here - it's weird, right? Should be gone by now, or destroyed? And look at how nice it is. It's weird! Also, it has some bowl thing on it just a minute ago."

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

"Chill," Sakuya says, holding a hand out behind her. "Nobody's punching anybody. And don't insult scratchy's table, Sakkun." She takes a step forward and gestures for Hajime to step back from the table. It's probably rude to touch a ghost's table uninvited. "I don't think the scratchy house has made any real trouble before, has it, Tachibana-chan? The way I figure, whatever's causing trouble might have got in through the chewed hole and stolen something. That'd explain the bowl, right? If there were some way we could talk to scratchy, maybe we could help get their stuff back. Tachibana-chan, is there anything ghosts like? Like an offering we could make?"

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Tachibana-chan? I think to myself. From anyone else I would object, but right now it's just nice to know I have a friend.

Inuki nuzzles at my hand. Okay, two friends.

"I'm trying to think of something," I admit, "that we could do. If the spirit is willing, I may be able to speak to it, as well..."

Intelligence + Occult for anything ghosts like, offerings, rituals of appeasement, that type of thing.

[19:47] <skybot> MollyMetroid: 29 (6d10=7, 5, 3, 5, 8, 1)

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Hajime Sakai

"I'm sorry, do you know this ghost? You keep talking about 'Scratchy' like it's an old pal. And I didn't say I was gonna punch it for kicks. Just, you know. If it starts anything. That's the rule. Start poo poo, get hit. Or something like that."

Donut Ouroboros
Mar 12, 2013

The cabbage field

"I guess we're lucky it just went after the cabbages, with teeth that sharp." Ryuu glances back at the farmhouse, frowns, and tries to push down the sudden crawling sensation that prickles at the back of his neck. "If it's really a monster, it might be hiding out in the teke house because no one goes there except on a dare. Or maybe it's why the place is haunted, or something." He drops the butt of his cigarette, grinds it into the dirt, and smiles at Tomoe. "I wouldn't worry," he says. "Sakai can handle himself, the miko probably knows more about this than all the rest of us put together. They're fine." Ryuu tucks the threads into his pocket, and starts the trek back to the car. "Now let's go make sure the otaku is doing his job."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Alright, footprints! I can work with this, there's something to reference! I start looking through relevant books, trying to cross-reference the footprints to any animal or whatever.

int+occult 3d10: 22 [3d10=10, 9, 3]

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Teke House

As the party enters the house and heads inwards, the scratching noises get louder. Heading further in, there is a sudden gust of wind, and the door closes behind you. Could be normal. Maybe.

Akemi looks up at the staircase. A woman in a long, white kimono is making her way down. Her skin is the same pale, corpse-like color as the hand in the window. Her face and much of her head is covered by a white veil. She moves blindly, staggering, more floating down the stairs than touching them. As she leans against a wall, it creaks and chatters. Spiders crawl in and out of her sleeves.

For the other two, her presence is invisible, but palpable. The air chills, and the scratching gets louder. The ghost is present, surely, though she does not speak.

Instead, the presence stops at the bottom of the stairs. She gently pushes the table, and the dust plumes upwards in another gust of wind.

Akemi remembers what her grandmother taught her about ghosts - all ghosts are bound to this world by their hungers. They want, more than anything, to live enough to fulfill those desires. A ritual offering can appease them and make them more willing to share what they actually need - or know. Traditionally, small wooden charms are burned for them.

Library

Tomoe and Ryuu arrive as Shotaro returns from the stacks, books in hand. Wildlife books, mostly. He uses a cell phone photo of the footprints and begins digging through. The shape of the claw marks suggests something carnivorous and vaguely canine. Not a tanuki or a bear - perhaps a dog or a fox? However, the placement on a more human-like foot is baffling. That matches no known animal.

Which is unsurprising.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 4, 2016

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

"She is there," I whisper, probably unnecessarily, as I drop down to hands and knees and bow before the ghost--I may not have what I need on hand to perform the ritual of appeasement but I can always try being polite and respectful to begin with. Besides, unless I miss my guess, someone has already performed such a ritual and what we are looking at is a disruption of it, one that hopefully can be restored. I raise back to a kneeling position and speak calmly and politely.

"We mean no disrespect, oh spirit-san, by our presence here. We wish to make things right and bring to an end the problems afflicting the region. Was...was what was on the table your offering bowl? If it has been disturbed, I will restore it as is my duty, only please, tell me if there is anything you know that can help me accomplish this."

I try to focus as I have been taught, to make it easier for the ghost and I to communicate, but my nervousness won't let me concentrate--nervousness at the situation, but also at performing my duties before an audience...

[00:07] <MollyMetroid> .roll 6d10 wits + occult for to do the thing it says I can do in the description of Medium
[00:07] <skybot> MollyMetroid: wits + occult for to do the thing it says I can do in the description of Medium: 21 (6d10=1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6)

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Hajime Sakai

Hajime gives a noncommittal grunt at the ghost's entrance. No signs of the God-Machine, that's what mattered to him. Ghosts were small time in comparison.

"Ok, offering bowl. That'd be the thing I saw on the table earlier. Two of us should look for it while the other one stays here to guard Tachibana-san. I volunteer myself for team find the thing. Katsura, you come with me too. Sakuya, you should probably stick with Tachibana-san here."

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

"I don't know the ghost," Sakuya hisses back at Hajime. "It's Yoichi-cho's haunted house. It's a, whaddayacallit, a rite of passage. It's like talking about punching the town mascot." She quiets down and takes a step back, almost spooked when Akemi begins speaking again. After an awkward pause, Sakuya bows in the general direction Akemi is bowing, though not as far as to touch the floor herself.

While she lets her friend do the talking, she shuffles over so that she can reply to Hajime quietly. "Aah, I'm fine with that. You sure it's close by, though? We'll be here all night if it turns out some raccoon dog who likes shiny things came in and dragged it home with him."

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

"I'm going to look for it to. Did you not just hear me promise that I would? My duty is to set this right, Sakai-san, I cannot simply sit by and let another do it for me."

I may be nervous, but I keep it out of my voice - instead I try for quiet determination. Or at least being firm.

Inuki lets out a soft "wuff" in agreement with me. Or just because he hears the tone in my voice and wants to make sure I'm okay.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Hajime Sakai

A shrug is given in return!

"Well, alright then. Let's head over to where that scratching was. Unles that's where the ghost came from. You see it, right? Where'd it come from? Let's avoid that part of the house. It's probably WAY more haunted."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yukimura Tomoe

Library

Looking at the books, Tomoe stands with her hands on her hips. "Well. It's a start.", she says, before venturing towards the 300s row. That's the Nippon Decimal Classification, of course, as she starts to go through the mythology and folklore section. "Time to start cross-referencing with grandpa stories.", she says with a slight sigh, coming back with a new pile of books.

Well, she's better-read than one might expect, given her occupation, but only those in the business might realize it's because of her occupation. Charm without at least some depth wears thin much faster than one might expect, as it turns out.

Intelligence + Occult to try and put a new angle on this, for 3 successes.

Donut Ouroboros
Mar 12, 2013
Watanabe Ryuu

Ryuu pulls out a chair, and takes a seat. He deposits the sample threads (now contained in a plastic bag for safekeeping) in front of Tomoe. "Maybe it wears clothing, if that helps narrow it down."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

[v]Teke House[/b]

The ghost came from upstairs. She is currently making soft weeping noises as the air grows chillier. At Akemi's words, she lets out high, keening wail and turns, wandering through the wall. As she steps through it, a large spider scurries out of a hole in the wall, climbs up onto the ceiling and then drops down onto Akemi's shoulder, then scurris down her back and then her leg. This is all the answer she receives.

Following the scratching, which has now died down some, leads into the next room. The dust here is disturbedm and a table lies, broken and gnaws, in the corner. Fragments of wood are scattered around the room. The next room over would correspond with the hole that Sakuya noticed before. An animal must have gotten in - but what animal would've caused this mess?

A small mass of spiders have gathered along the table. They appear to be making a web between the table and the wall. There is no obvious source to the scratching noise from before.

Library

Based on what Akemi said earlier and what you have discovered, you believe you've identified the culprit of the attacks. In a sense. In another sense, this has become insane. She had mentioned the inukami, the dog-ghost gods who can be made by torturing a dog to death and then binding its spirit to service. The marks you found do suggest a dog's claws, and the hunger enough to tear up and try to eat most of a field of cabbages would fit.

But inukami are supposed to possess people rather than take on a physical form. That doesn't quite line up with what Akemi said. Still - it points you at a place to start researching, between Akemi's advice and Shotaro's books. Digging out what can be used against inukami will take time, however.

You should have enough now to start researching the weaknesses of an inukami spirit.

Research will be Intelligence + Occult...as an extended roll, with each roll representing half an hour of research. These rolls are done at -1 for the fact that a public library won't have a ton of information, but at least has Japanese folklore sections. You have three and a half hours left, I'll say. In theory, enough time for 7 rolls - but the rolls are limited by the highest (Int+Occult) among you. Anyone with lower Int+Occult can roll it (still at -1) to add their successes as dice to the highest person's roll. This is done at each interval Coordinate with each other, I suggest, and do this rolling on IRC. I'll have to check your TN of successes when I get home, however, so someone remind me to do that.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

I do my best not to shudder as the spider climbs on me, squeezing my eyes shut and freezing in place.

"The spiders--they may be trying to tell us something," I point out as we investigate further. I look at the webs carefully. "Don't disturb their webs..."

I take a look at those webs myself to see if there's anything significant about them.

Inuki sniffs around but stays close to me.

Spending a willpower this time...

[19:03] <MollyMetroid> .roll 6d10 intelligence + occult for figuring webs
[19:03] <skybot> MollyMetroid: intelligence + occult for figuring webs: 36 (6d10=1, 4, 7, 7, 7, 10)
Edit:
[19:03] <Donut> Don't forget to reroll that 10!
[19:04] <MollyMetroid> oh shizz
[19:04] <Donut> 10s explode
[19:04] <MollyMetroid> .roll 1d10
[19:04] <skybot> MollyMetroid: 9 (1d10=9)
[19:04] <MollyMetroid> and since I'm a miko
[19:04] <MollyMetroid> so do nines
[19:04] <Donut> If you have certain other skills, 8s and 9s explode too
[19:04] <Donut> oh shiiiit
[19:04] <MollyMetroid> .roll 1d10
[19:04] <skybot> MollyMetroid: 8 (1d10=8)

MollyMetroid fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 11, 2016

Donut Ouroboros
Mar 12, 2013
Watanabe Ryuu

Library

Ryuu looks down at the open book, his lips twisting in something that's not quite a scowl. "Who the gently caress does that to a dog?" he says. "That's hosed up." Some sort of hungry dog-ghost is one thing, but if some sick gently caress made it for a specific purpose, there is a bigger problem at hand. "You keep on the books. I'm gonna make some calls."

A few minutes later, Ryuu stands outside the library entrance. He flips his phone open, and calls up a contact from memory. "Chiba, it's Watanabe. This is going to sound crazy, but the cabbage guy thinks it might've been a real big dog, or maybe a bear. You or your boys seen anything like that?"

Rolling Presence + Streetwise to see if anyone else in the local family's seen anything dog-like and suspicious. Spending a Willpower to cancel out the -3 penalty.

[20:31.23] <Donut> .roll 4d10
[20:31.24] <skybot> Donut: 16 (4d10=3, 5, 6, 2)

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

The teke house

"Okay, well, I guess we're going," Sakuya says, giving a slight, awkward wave in the vague direction of where the ghost previously was. "We'll come back with that bowl if we find it." She steps forward, giving the spiderwebs a wide berth as she looks between them and Akemi. "Is that, like, a ghost thing, or are they just helpful spiders? Don't mess with the webs though, gotcha." She steps towards the door to the next room, hands stuffed in her pockets, and lifts her foot high, as if planning to kick the door open. Instead, her foot just hangs in the air for a moment.

"Oi, Tachibana-chan. Can I borrow Inuki for a sec?"

Sakuya crouches down by the dog and scratches around his neck. She lowers her voice. "The hole I talked about, the one that's been gnawed open recently, if we haven't seen it yet then it'd open out into the next room. So if the trouble is a wild animal of some kind, and it's home, opening that door might spook it. So listen up Inuki, this is where you come in. You smell anything?" She leads Inuki's nose with her hand, guiding him around the threshold of the next room, while keeping a wary hand to pull him back or calm him down in case something excites him. She watches the dog's reaction, hoping to catch some recognition of a sign as to whether Inuki senses danger.

Wits + Animal Ken, pending any additional dice borrowing Inuki's nose might count for. If none, then this is a failure, potentially a dramatic one??:
[22:27] <skybot> Iamjustabox: 12 (4d10=5, 4, 1, 2)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Inuki is a +2.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

But the future refused to change.
[10:07] <skybot> Iamjustabox: 5 (2d10=4, 1)

I say hit us with calamity for that sweet beet juice if you've got any good ideas, otherwise we're looking at simple failure.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Dramatic Failure it is!

Teke House

Inuki sniffs at the wall as Akemi investigates the spiders. Tsuchigomo are said to be a race of earth-spider yokai. Myth holds that they are giant spiders with faces that eat people. This seems unlikely to be what these spiders are. Jorogumo, perhaps? It's said that when spiders turn 400, they get the mystic power to become a beautiful woman so they can eat people. But they can also gain other powers. Perhaps some spiders are just magical. Spiders of legend typically drain people of their strength or wrap them up in thread forever. The house is full of spiders, and often their webs seem to be holding things together.

It is a mystery for another time, however. Inuki snarls suddenly, then leaps into the next room. There is a sudden yelping, and a smashing noise. When you run in, you see Inuki perched atop a cabinet, backing away from the figure in the middle of the room, which stands over a smashed table. The remains of a rough button-down sirt and jeans conceal some of its form, but it is vaguely human. Certainly humanoid.

But a short tail, boshy and curved like that of a shiba's, emerges from the space between shirt and pants. The figure has long claws on its hands and feet, claws that have torn through the remnants of what were once indoor slippers. The skin that can be seen through holes in the shirt and pants is blotchy, pinkish-gray. The creature's head is lowered as it snuffles at the table, but it soon turns to face you. Its face is an insane combination of man and dog, twisted and ugly. It growls, low and long. It's a growl that any dog-lover knows - the growl of a dog that is seconds away from snapping.

Dramatic failure: you found the beast, sure, but you don't know its weakness yet and have no preparations to ritually banish or contain it. Also, Inuki is terrified of it and will be hiding on top of a cabinet.

E: also, breaking point rolls, please. Will determine penalty when I get home.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 12, 2016

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Okay, breaking points. Everyone at Teke House: Resolve + COmposure, +1 from Integrity 7, -2 from supernatural that's (gonna be) attacking you. If you are acting according to your Virtue, you get +1, Vice gets -1. If you think this isn't a breaking point for you, explain it to me in IRC.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

"Inuki!" I cry as he rushes forward out of my sight, and I immediately abandon my study of the webs to follow him. The scene unfolding in the other room is a shock but also a validation--I told them it could be inukami, and this seems to settle that rather definitively. Not that staring down a person possessed by a dog spirit (an angry one at that) is a good time to feel vindicated. Mostly I feel terrified, and utterly unprepared.

"This...this might be okay to punch," I manage.

Not much else for it, really.

Breaking point!
[17:07] <MollyMetroid> .roll 3d10
[17:07] <skybot> MollyMetroid: 16 (3d10=9, 3, 4)

I'll take the Spooked condition.

MollyMetroid fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 12, 2016

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

The teke house
"Whoa, no!" Sakuya figured she was ready for this. She lunges to hold Inuki back, but dogs are fast, and humans are not as fast as the dogs, so she slides chin-first through the threshold into the next room. She looks up from the floor at a sight that doesn't entirely make sense, thinking at first that some ill-dressed man's pants had half fallen. She's really not sure what she's looking at, but she's fairly sure it is gross.

"Inuki," Sakuya begins to say as she rises to her feet. "That is exactly what..." The thought falls out of her mouth, which droops agape as the man turns around. He does not look right. Human and canine features mix in his face in a way that renders it decidedly neither, and the sound of that growl is necessary to tell Sakuya the creature is doglike at all. She's seen a lot of things, but she hasn't seen this.

"Okay," she improvises, holding her hands out in a gesture more useful for calming men than dogs. "Sshhh, shhhh. Stay cool. Uh... look, here, I got keys! Keys—"

She moves a little too fast, in her motion to fish a set of keys out of a pocket to jangle for the dog-man.

Breaking point roll fails:
[17:12] <skybot> Iamjustabox: 10 (3d10=1, 5, 4)
Sakuya falls to Integrity 6 and is Shaken. Then she's not Shaken. Because she would have tried to talk Man Dog McCree down with an Animal Ken roll, but in the immediate moment of being confronted with his ugly-rear end half-shiba face, that's failing to resolve the Condition.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Hajime Sakai

Integrity (-1 Vice; VIOLENCE): 4d10h8 0
I'm Shaken!

Hajime would never admit to being scared. He's a big, stern, manly man. He's a street-wise punk-rear end. He's Demon-blooded.

Mostly though, he reacts to fear the same way he reacts to other emotions. With violence.

Trying to hide the tremble, Hajime surges forward and, working on instinct, aims a brass-knuckle to whatever this thing was right in the face.

Brawl: 8d10h8 1

Now I'm Not Shaken! Because I have most likely made things absolutely much worse. Unless this doesn't count and I am Still Shaken!

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 13, 2016

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yukimura Tomoe

Library

Yukimura starts opening up books. When she's lucky, they have an index. When she's not... well, she's the only one who knows what to look for beyond the word "dog". Pulling her hair into a ponytail, she pulls out a notepad and starts scribbling down notes.

So, her 7 Int+Occult rolls - with no assistance from our Occult-deprived duo - are in order: 3, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 1, for a total of 11 if she actually has the time. Of course, how many of those count depending on how the other scene shakes out and if she gets interrupted may vary.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 13, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Library

While Yukimura is busy with her research, I decide to check in with the others.

"Hey guys, we're almost there. How are you hanging in there?"

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

With the worst possible timing, my phone starts to ring. I fumble it out and yank it open to make it stop ringing, because the last thing I need is that possessed person going after me for my phone ringing.

"Not a good time!" I all but yell into it. "We've found an inukami and it's--just get here FAST!"

Spooked, talking on the phone right now is not a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Shotaro Kazuma

"What?! Okay, we'll be there as soon as possible!"

I run over to Yukimura, ignoring all library etiquette. "Tomoe-chan, it's an inukami! We have to get to the others!"

• Locked thread