Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yukimura Tomoe

Library

There's a moment where Tomoe just stares at Kazuma, frozen in the middle of turning a page. "Um...", she starts, obviously taken a little off guard. "I don't know if I can really help with that.", she admits honestly, before looking over to Ryuu on the phone. "Hey! You hear all that?", she asks directly.

Then, to Kazuya, she glares, saying softly, "And don't call me Tomoe-chan."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donut Ouroboros
Mar 12, 2013
Watanabe Ryuu

Ryuu stalks back towards Tomoe's table, the phone still cradled against his ear in defiance of library rules. The dial tone keeps ringing. Soon, it will go to voicemail. As luck would have it, he arrives just as Shotaro reaches panicked yelling range. "What," Watanabe says, before things click into place. He looks back at Tomoe, and nods once. "We're on it."

Without another word, he rushes out of the library, headed for his car.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Library

Half an hour into research, the call comes. Tomoe is closing in on an answer, but not there yet.

(7 successes are enough - it'll take until roll #5, or 2.5 hours, to get the answer. Tomoe can wait and stay for that, or cut off and go early.

Ryuu, however, has a car. That's enough for him and Shotaro - though the drive to the Teke House is still going to take time, even breaking traffic laws. How quickly they arrive to support will be the issue...

Dex+Drive at -1 for the back roads and trails. Your car's gonna be banged up as hell after this, but you will arrive in 7-(successes) turns, minimum 2.

Teke House

Roll Initiative!

The inugami-ridden creature stares at the keys for a moment. Just a moment. And then chaos explodes as Hajime tries to punch the thing. It lets out an inhuman howl as it steps back quickly, avoiding the blow. It sways back and forth, as if thinking. Then it growls, and seconds later, so does Akemi's stomach. Her distraction on the phone keeps her from realizing the creature noticed her spiritual power! Now, hunger rages within her...

Akemi gets the Ravenous tilt for the next five turns, causing -2 to all rolls due to her distracting hunger!

Then, its attention turns to the others. Its tail shudders briefly, and it gestures. Blood rips itself out of Sakai's skin, as the sustenance within him is bodily ripped out, flowing into the inugami-ridden man. Fortunately, Sakai and Sakuya didn't eat much tonight.

The creature spends 2 Essence on the Blast Numen...

<skybot> MorsWork: 41 (7d10=3, 2, 7, 7, 7, 6, 9)

for one success. Sakai and Sakuya each take 1L. Now, Initiative!

DOGMAN: <skybot> MorsWork: 11 (1d10+6=5)

Group Beats currently: 0.4

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 19, 2016

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Tachibana Akemi

[14:21] <skybot> MollyMetroid: 10 (1d10=10) (for 14 init)

I feel suddenly weak from hunger as I watch my allies suffer the ravenous beast's sickening power. Part of me wants to flee, to get out of sight and let the others deal with this thing, but I can't, I won't abandon them.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Izumi Sakuya

Combat: Initiative 7

"Hajime!" Sakuya roars in frustration, seeing him lunge with the knucks. "I had him with the keys! I think I had him with the keys..." She jangles them in her fist a moment, distracted from the creature's swaying. Then, her guts vacate.

"Ffffuck." The curse lurches out of her like a hurl of sick, and the sensation is familiar. She can even taste that meat bun from earlier again. The sudden jolt of violence, though, is enough to kick her into another gear. Her center of gravity falls. Her legs spread apart. She drops the keys to the floor, pulling her hands into tight, twitching claws.

The noise she makes when she scampers for the dog-man, almost on fours herself, is not a word. Just hate.

Initiative:
[16:26] <skybot> Iamjustabox: 7 (1d10+3=4)

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Hajime Sakai

Health: [X][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] Willpower: [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Initiative: 1d10+5 14

Hajime suddenly feels his stomach turn upside down as his blood pours out from his pores and into the beast, but that's nothing compared to the sudden rage pouring out of him, replacing the fear. It hurt Sakuya.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yukimura Tomoe

Library

"Take care.", Tomoe says as she looks after two, biting her lip. It's a bit tough to just let them go without offering to help, but, well... this is probably the way she can help the most. Her only weapons against monsters are words, and so getting this done is where she belongs. Even if somebody's getting hurt.

Taking a deep breath, she looks back to the books, biting the end of a pen as she goes back to her research.

Donut Ouroboros
Mar 12, 2013
Watanabe Ryuu

Ryuu barely gives Kazuma enough time to get in the car. "Dammit," he hisses, as he fumbles the keys into the ignition. "Dammit, dammit." He doesn't bother with his seatbelt. The moment the engine turns over, he flicks on the lights, and peels out of the parking lot, glancing off a lightpole as he drives over the curb. "Son of a bitch. Okay, here's what we're going to do. We've got to find the others, and make sure they're okay. Then we find the monster and kick the poo poo out of it. Don't let it escape." Ryuu makes another turn, this one sharper; another car slams on its brakes, and starts honking furiously as he runs a red light. "You actually know how to use that bat, right?"

Is Ryuu scared, just a little? Maybe.

Spending a WP on the roll. Can Shotaro help me out by assisting with navigation? Anyway, here goes:
[18:05.14] <Donut> .roll 5d10
[18:05.15] <skybot> Donut: 35 (5d10=9, 4, 7, 5, 10)
[18:06.03] <Donut> .roll 1d10
[18:06.04] <skybot> Donut: 4 (1d10=4)

Total: 2 successes

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Shotaro Kazuma

"Of course I can! I wouldn't be alive by now if I couldn't! This is just like episode 32 of Brave Phantom J where the Phantom Force fought Inuzilla! If anything, I can do like they did and use Hrunting like a stick to distract it!"

I'm scared shitless can't wait to get into some real action!

Rolling! 5d10: 28 [5d10=4, 8, 4, 5, 7]

1 success.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 20, 2016

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Initiative:
14: Akemi/Hajime
11: DOGMANS
7: Sakuya.

Akemi and Hajime can go in whatever order y'all like.

DOGMANS's Defense is 7. Remember: every attack lowers the target's Defense by 1 until their next turn!

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

I cast around for something, anything, that I can do to be useful, since I would just get in the way in the brawl. I spot a jagged looking bit of rubble, grab it, and hurl it as hard as my hunger-weakened body can manage.

[20:59] <skybot> MollyMetroid: spending willpower, all out attack, to throw a rock: 14 (3d10=4, 8, 2)

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Hajime Sakai Health: [X][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] Willpower: [O][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

It hurt Sakuya!

Hajime wasn't sure a punch would actually do much of anything. It was some weird spirit monster, after all. He wasn't even sure he COULD punch it, with how fast it was moving. But it stole his blood. And it hurt others around him. And an immediate attack like this, well, it just felt good. And who knows - maybe a solid enough hit would at least get it to flee.

Hajime lines up the shot, lets every ounce of strength he has flood from his feet, up through his torso, into his arm, and delivers the best CRACK! to the beast he possibly can.

Brawl - Defense + Willpower bonus: 4d10h8 3
Actually don't they have -1 Defense from that rock throw?: 1d10h8+3 3
Holy poo poo! Let it never be said violence never solved anything! On top of 3L (assuming they actually can take 3L from some brass knuckles), they take -1 to their next dice roll. If that roll exceeds their stamina - if they even HAVE a stamina, I guess? - then they're also given the Knocked Down tilt!

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 11:48 on May 20, 2016

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Dogman

First, a rock smacks into the dogman, leaving a nasty cut on its face.

1L from a thrown rock!

Then, Hajime's fist slams into the beast, which staggers back, snarling. Blood wells up from the blow to its chest, the flesh torn open by the force of the brass knuckles. The creature howls with fury, then lunges forward at Hajime, trying to clamp down on his flesh and tear into it. Fortunately for him, he's ready for that, dodging the beast handily.

Hajime deals a solid 3L! Not bad at all.

[08:20.08] <skybot> MorsRattus: 18 (4d10=7, 4, 6, 1) - the critter spent a Willpower, missed. Its Defense is down to 5 for now.

Donut, roll another die for Shotaro's success in helping you. You arrive in 4 turns.

Box, you're up!

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 22, 2016

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Izumi Sakuya

"gently caress it!" Sakuya roars, charging straight for the dogman and nearly pushing Sakai out of the way to get at him. She briefly grabs at the dogman's throat, but her hands remain tightly clawed, not spread out enough to attempt to choke him. Instead, she simply digs her nails in and rakes down, across his shoulders and upper chest, deep enough to leave visible wounds, like the barbs of a lash or the claws of an animal. "Cry! Scream!"

Getting in close enough to grab at the dogman like that has left her wide open, and she doesn't seem worried by it. If anything, she's sizing up her next strike, while blood drips from both hands.

Risking Willpower to rip and tear (+3 dice and +1L damage), or if Mors disallows it, just spending one Willpower (+3 dice). Another +3 from an all-out attack, sacrificing Defense.
[16:18] <skybot> Iamjustabox: 37 (7d10=9, 1, 6, 2, 6, 4, 9)

If I didn't mess something up there, that's another three lethal damage and a practical beat, or two lethal damage and no beat without the risking.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Again I hurl jagged bits of rubble at the dogman. We are not doing this again without going in armed to begin with, I resolve, then laugh sharply at the thought that this might be something we do again period.

[22:06] <MollyMetroid> .roll 4d10 risking willpower to throw a thing at a dogmans in an all-out attack
[22:06] <skybot> MollyMetroid: risking willpower to throw a thing at a dogmans in an all-out attack: 19 (4d10=5, 9, 3, 2)
[22:07] <MorsRattus> you do!
[22:07] <MorsRattus> you regain 1 Willpower and deal 1 damage
[22:07] <MollyMetroid> .roll 1d10 nine-again
[22:07] <skybot> MollyMetroid: nine-again: 9 (1d10=9)
[22:07] <MorsRattus> ...two damage
[22:07] <MollyMetroid> .roll 1d10 nine-again
[22:07] <skybot> MollyMetroid: nine-again: 2 (1d10=2)

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Hajime Sakai Health: [X][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] Willpower: [O][O][ ][ ][ ][ ]

While Hajime is still putting his all into getting this monster to leave, his all doesn't have quite the same level of rage behind it now that Sakuya is ripping it apart.

Brawl - Defense + Willpower bonus: 5d10h8 1

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Two Practical Beats generated as a result of WP risking!

The dog-man-creature is torn apart by Sakuya's vicious, tearing finger-claws. It lets out a terrible howl, rearing back - but is interrupted as a rock slams directly into its eye. The blood wells up around the stone, which takes a moment to fall away. Hajime's fist slams into its gut, but Sakuya is the one that has its attention. It is staggering now, its movements more as if the body is being dragged about then moving of its own accord.

The beast lunges at Sakuya, forgoing any kind of finesse for vicious bite, trying to tear away her flesh.

[10:07.12] <skybot> MorsRattus: 55 (10d10=5, 8, 8, 8, 7, 2, 5, 4, 3, 5)

Dogman spends another WP. Sakuya takes 3+2L, so 5L damage.

But hey, good news! It's not feeling so hot!

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Izumi Sakuya
☒☒☒☒☒☐☐☐

Sakuya shrieks, and the hatred shrinks back from the sound of her voice. She claws back at the dogman to push him back away, but the strength of her swipes fails her from the pain, and in any case, when the dogman withdraws, he takes her right hand with him. Blood oozes out from the end of her arm like a broken pipe, and the shape of the dogman's teeth can be seen imprinted on the severed end of the bone.

"You poo poo," Sakuya croaks out in disbelief. She falls back a few feet, just as dizzily, before she braces her standing and grits her teeth. "You poo poo!" She flicks the end of her arm in the dog-man's direction, spitefully spraying him with some of her own bleeding runoff, though the motion is too limp to get in the creature's eyes, as she seems to have been hoping. "He ate my hand!" She stumbles back further and braces herself against a wall, gripping her injured arm with her left hand, tightly. She shudders, closes her eyes tightly, and breathes.

The broken tissues, under her focus, begin to weave and knit themselves back together. The plate of the bone juts forth at quick, irregular spurts, and a lattice of capillaries and arteries begin to follow after and coat it, spraying blood even as they grow. Sakuya holds the pain down from escaping her mouth.

One Willpower spent to instantly regenerate damage, jumping back from 6 lethal damage suffered to 5.
Dexterity + Athletics, -2 to call for the face, +1 bonus from wounds suffered. The attempt fails:
[16:26] <skybot> Iamjustabox: 14 (3d10=6, 5, 3)

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Don't look don't think about it just keep throwing we can get her to help once we take this thing down just keep throwing--

[23:15] <skybot> MollyMetroid: spending willpower throwing rock at nasty vicious terrifying dogmans: 24 (4d10=3, 7, 7, 7)
[23:15] <MollyMetroid> well poo poo on a stick.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Hajime Sakai Health: [X][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] Willpower: [O][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Enough.

Sakura was hurt, badly. Akemi was panicking. Time to take charge.

Hajime abandons all attempts to dodge attacks - it was time to hit like a freight train. And if he got hit back, well. Mom gave him a few tricks for that, too.

Hajime lunges foward and delivers the best haymaker he can manage.

Brawl (Risking Willpower, All Out Attack!): 7d10h8 2
+1 Lethal from risking willpower makes it do 3 Lethal. As always, -1 to their next attack and they've got the Knocked Down Tilt if that beats their stamina. +1 practical beat, too!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Teke House

The dogman sways, almost collapses, and the rock flies wide. Hajime, however, comes up on it, forgoing all safety in order to drive his fist into the creature's gut. Its eyes bulge as it doubles over, and it mouths silently several times. The eyes roll back in its head, and the creature staggers backwards a few steps.

At which point it explodes.

A huge mass of red-black goo coats Hajime and Sakuya, the floor, the ceiling, the furniture...some even gets on Akemi asthe burst spreads. In the mass of it is a screaming, howling cloud. The goo, as it is about to strike Hajime, reshapes itself into the maw of a vicious dog, just for a moment. Then it strikes him, and while the goo hits lightly, the maw continues, directly through him, a ghostly, wispy cloud of fangs. Akemi can see it clearly, the screaming, raging mass of the inukami that is tearing through Hajime and then flying off, a long, whtie-furred creature, like a creature half dog, half snake, its skin taut against its bones and its belly distended.

[06:57.48] <MorsRattus> .roll 13d10
[06:57.48] <skybot> MorsRattus: 72 (13d10=6, 2, 10, 5, 1, 3, 6, 4, 8, 7, 2, 9, 9)
[06:57.52] <MorsRattus> .roll 1d10
[06:57.53] <skybot> MorsRattus: 1 (1d10=1)

The creature spends 1 Essence as its health gets low, discorporating itself and using its Final Strike numen. It goes all-out and spends a Willpower, attacking Hajime, who has no defense. He takes 4L...assuming he can't prevent himself from being shredded this way.

The screaming spirit races out through a wall, flying off to who-knows-where. The room seems to calm as the creature leaves. In the center of the goo lies a man in his 40s, balding. He is unconscious, bruised and beaten, but alive. He is miraculously untouched by the goo, perhaps because it exploded off him.

Inuki finally leaps down off the old, broken dresser he was hiding on top of. He sniffs at the goo for a few seconds, and then begins to eat it.

It is about this point that Shotaro and Ryuu arrive. Sakuya's skin is twisting and warping itself, her bone jutting out and moving to reknit itself and put her arm back together. Her hand is dragging itself across the floor, the skin dragging it along as it tries to reconnect to the end of her arm.

Sakuya, meanwhile, causes a breaking point at -1 for Ryuu, Shotaro and Akemi. Hajime's unnatural powers mean he's more used to this idea and does not have to roll. Akemi at least gets +2 for having been trying to help with the fight. If any of you want to argue you are in accordance with your Virtue, you get +1. Vice, -1. And remember - Integrity 6 or 7 gives a +1.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Hajime Sakai Health: [X][X][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] Willpower: [O][O][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Just Bruised (+Willpower): 7d10h8 1

Hajime focuses in the split second before the howling spirit tears itself through him, calling back the lessons his mother's friend had taught him. It was possible it could barely hurt him. It was possible that his body would fight off most of the damage. It was possible that the spirit wasn't as strong as it thought it was.

And with the right way of looking at it, possibility became reality.

Hajime wasn't booksmart. No two ways about it. His reading comprehension was abysmal. But he learned the basics on helping people out when they were hurt, the here and there of first aid. He knew enough to trick everything, maybe even himself, into accepting that the spirit wasn't going to REALLY hurt him.

And so it didn't.

Hajime wipes off some of the goo, coughs a bit, and pounds his chest with his fist. He'd need a good amount of rest, but nothing too dangerous. He'd had worse.

He glances around at the others who might be staring at the man who just shrugged off an angry dog spirit mauling through his chest.

"Uh...guess it wasn't as bad as it thought it was?"

Sakuya gets a glance. Well. THAT was new. Well, more unexpected then new. Maybe they'd need to have their own chat after this.

"Sakuya, you need any help? If not, I'm going to see how the old man is doing."

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Izumi Sakuya

Sakuya's breathing is hoarse and ragged. That shriek was the very most she could manage (who could blame her?) and by the time she's inched her way across the wall away from the horrid dog-man, the end of the confrontation splatters over her. She hacks out a small bead of blood and then begins sputtering with the red-black substance that landed around her lips. "loving hell," Sakuya forces out. She begins to stand up and then falls back down, a little dizzied from the whole experience. Then she just resolves to sit, propped up against the wall, and marvels in pained fascination at the stump knitting itself together before her eyes. "This is the weirdest loving thing. Is it dead?"

She tilts her head up slowly, to look at Hajime with weary eyes. "Yeah," she says. "Pass me my hand. I think I'm gonna need that. And remind me to vomit later."

Donut Ouroboros
Mar 12, 2013
Watanabe Ryuu

After what seems like an eternity, Ryuu's car pulls off the road, making tracks across the Teke House's weed-choked lawn. He doesn't bother to put down the parking brake--he just yanks the key out of the ignition, throws the door open, and runs. This place used to scare the poo poo out of him as a kid, but even scarier is the thought that some people are in there, fighting a monster /he/ should be fighting, and he's out here.

Something prickles behind Watanabe's eyes as he sprints--it's like a blurry streak, not quite visible, off in the distance. He can't make it out. "Remember--!" he shouts, to Shotaro. "We can't let that thing escape!" Where's the hole they used to dare each other to go into? There. Ryuu drops into an awkward crouch, squeezes through, and sees footprints in the dust. Something smells /vile/. "Sekai! Tachibana-san, are you--"

Ryuu comes to a halt in the doorway, breathing hard. It takes him a moment just to process the scene in front of him--and then he notices something dragging itself through the goo. It has fingers. Sakuya's got a ragged stump where her hand should be. His face goes a little pale, and his eyes widen. He tries to say something, but nothing comes out--with some effort, he closes his eyes, and steps back out of the room. Calming breaths. Don't scream. Don't scream. Try not to puke.

Integrity check. +1 dice for Integrity 7, -1 dice for WHAT THE gently caress.

[19:42.12] <Donut> .roll 7d10
[19:42.13] <skybot> Donut: 38 (7d10=8, 10, 6, 4, 1, 6, 3)
[19:42.26] <Donut> .roll 1d10
[19:42.27] <skybot> Donut: 10 (1d10=10)
[19:43.13] <Donut> .roll 1d10
[19:43.14] <skybot> Donut: 7 (1d10=7)

3 successes. Taking the Disturbed Condition. (You've seen something that haunts you. Until resolved, you can't recover Willpower from sleep. Resolve by indulging your Vice, or completing an extended roll.)

Donut Ouroboros fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 2, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Shotaro Kazuma

"HOLD ON HOLD ON!"

I jump out of the car before it even stops and roll to a nice hiding place, darting from rock to rock until my back is next to the doorway. Seeing Ryuu's face, I'm...probably not gonna look inside.

"Guuuuys? Are you alright? Is it dead?"

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

At Izumi-san's mention of vomiting, I lose control of my own stomach and double over, retching up the contents of my stomach.

"Inuki," I manage, "don't eat that." I stay doubled over, trying to catch my breath, trying not to burst into tears. I've failed, at my duty, and I failed my...my friends, as a consequence.

"I'm sorry," I sob. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry." This is my fault. I knew we would be risking facing spirits, I knew we could be in danger, and yet I did not ensure we had properly prepared for what we faced. I am a failure as a miko, unworthy of my lineage. No wonder my mother wanted nothing to do with me.

[22:18] <skybot> MollyMetroid: breaking point: 30 (5d10=1, 7, 10, 6, 6)
[22:19] <MollyMetroid> I only need one success to be fine right
[22:19] <MorsRattus> Yes.
[22:19] <MorsRattus> But reroll that 10
[22:19] <MollyMetroid> .roll 1d10
[22:19] <skybot> MollyMetroid: 8 (1d10=8)

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Hajime stretches again, feeling himself out, estimating the damage done. He'd be fine. A few hard nights. Don't go out looking for fights. No problem. He gives a vague wave towards Akemi that he hopes seems reassuring.

"It's fine, don't worry about it. All's well that ends well, yeah? Don't beat yourself up over this.. It's...ghuh. Sakuya, you're better at this...touchy...feely stuff, help out here, yeah? When you aren't too busy sticking your hand back on - and we're gonna talk about that, mind you, just not here and now. I'm gonna check up on whoever this is."

He walks over to the old man on the ground and does just that!

Int+Medicine: 2d10h8 2

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Shotaro Kazuma

I'm still huddled down by the doorway.

"Ake--Tachibana-san...I think Princess Interrobang said it best in the final episode of Cursed Knight of the Hundred. 'If you're aware enough of your mistakes, you're at least doing something right.'"

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Izumi Sakuya

"Yeah," Sakuya says, sounding a little loopy. "Thanks for passing me my hand." She braces herself with her remaining hand, so that she can climb back to a shaky slouch, and take slow, wide steps across the red-black slop. She picks up her crawling hand, which instinctively clutches onto what remains of her severed wrist, and winces at the pressure. "Thanks for killing that gently caress. Or... unkilling it."

Sakuya holds her wounded right arm behind her back, away from open sight, and then walks unsteadily to Akemi's side. "Hey," she says. She puts her intact hand on Akemi's shoulder, and waits to see whether she pushes it away. If she permits it, Sakuya squeezes lightly. Either way, she falls quiet for a couple seconds, letting Akemi get it out – both emotionally, and where the contents of her stomach are concerned, viscerally.

She speaks quietly when she breaks the silence. "Tacchan. Hey. I'm a little spacy right now, I've never lost blood like that. Hey, Tacchan. What are you apologizin' for? You're okay. Sakkun's okay. I'm okay..." She drifts off, and her detached hand clutches her wrist tighter. She raises her voice to call over to Hajime. "I really hosed that one up, didn't I, Sakkun? That one was a real bastard."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

"I mean...yeah, kinda. You lost control. Save your haymakers for the last hit. But hey, we're all alive, and we've...ok, not KILLED it, but at least kicked it's rear end somewhere else. Take your wins where you can."

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

I close my eyes as the others comfort me, knowing they don't understand what I mean. I do notice that Kazuma-san remembers to call me Tachibana-san, which I appreciate more than what he actually intended to be comforting. Sakuya-san lays her hand on my shoulder, squeezing lightly, and I let out a shuddering sigh as she speaks.

"It's my fault that you got hurt, Sakuya-san, you and Sakai-san, and that old man. I failed in my duty as a miko. I knew we might be facing danger, but I let us come in here without preparing for what could happen. We should have been armed, I should have prepared to perform rituals to appease or banish anything we were likely to find, I should have said something, and I didn't, and--your hand...it is because of me! It's my duty, my only purpose, and I let everyone down..."

I trail off, sobbing again, then, "Your hand...is it...okay?" I ask in a small voice. I don't want to look at it to find out.

Donut Ouroboros
Mar 12, 2013
Watanabe Ryuu
Willpower: 3/5

It takes Ryuu a moment to pull himself together. He shakes his head, steps into the room, and tries not to seem too grossed out. He looks over at Hajime, and blinks--it escaped? That weird blur in the sky, earlier. Was that...?

The carpet squelches beneath Ryuu's feet as he approaches the others. "Well. Just means we'll have to find it. Tachibana-san." His voice softens, and a look of honest-to-God concern appears on his face. "We'll get the son of a bitch. If it was possessing that guy, like you said they could, he might know more. And... if it was, you guys beat it out of him, right? He might not've made it if you hadn't." Speaking of. "We need to get him somewhere that's not here, though. I know a doctor, and I bet Izumi-san and Yukimura-san do, too."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yukimura Tomoe

Library

Tomoe pauses in her reading long enough to pull out her cell phone and stare at it. It's tempting to call, but... she'd best wait. Shaking her head, she sets it down on the table, trying to focus through her concern and stay focused on the task.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Izumi Sakuya

Sakuya snorts out a laugh. "It wasn't your fault, Tacchan. We had bad luck and I went overboard. We could run down all the stuff that went wrong, or we can do what the suit says, haul out of here, recover, and learn from it. We'll know better next time." She squeezes Akemi and smiles, trying to wipe the pain and exhaustion from her face for it. "Don't worry about me. I got a way of bouncing back."

"I'd rather not show up to any family friends with a hand missing. Suit man, you wanna arrange a place for us to stash this guy until he wakes up? I don't want a doctor, I just need to lie down for a bit." She pulls her right arm back from behind her, though she hides its grotesque configuration with her left hand as well as she can. "This thing better fit back on. I've been sliced up but I've never had anything sliced off before."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The man is out, and from what Hajime can tell, he'll be out for a while. You'll want to stow him somewhere until morning, and he'll probably want medical attention, though he is, at least, not at risk of death right now. Just really, really beaten up.

The ghost's offering bowl, meanwhile, can be found in one of several piles of random objects that the dogman apparently made. It's kind of messy and filled with shattered bone and inedible root material, but is intact.

So, to check - will you guys be keeping Sakuya out of sight of Shotaro for the...what, hour, two hours until she's fully healed? Because if not, Shotaro needs to roll that breaking point check. (The base pool is Resolve + Composure before modifiers.)

Other than that, are we done? If so, tell me what your plans are to stow Unconscious Guy and I will reveal what Tomoe has learned as she meets back up with you guys a few hours later.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 5, 2016

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Akemi also spots the offering bowl and returns it to its proper place with a quick prayer, as she promised she would do, once she calms down a little.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Shotaro Kazuma

"AAAH! Izumi-san! Your hand! What the hell happened here?! I'm actually glad I was stuck at the library!"

The reality of the situation approaches like a bullet train. Here I am, fighting with people who actually do this for serious, with real stakes, and here I am, hitting monsters with a bat after work!

Man, should I even be doing this if this is the kind of stuff that happens?

5d10h8: 1 [5d10h8=[10, 4], 5, 3, 6, 5]

Overwhelmed: You're in over your head and you know it. Don't reroll tens when making a contested roll against another character, and you need two more successes to roll an exceptional success. Resolve this Condition the next time you fulfill your Virtue or succeed at a roll on which you spent or risked Willpower.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 5, 2016

Donut Ouroboros
Mar 12, 2013
Watanabe Ryuu

Ryuu gives Sakuya a look, but doesn't press the issue any further. So that's why no one fucks with her. "You're the boss," he says. He steps around the bean paste as best as he can, glances down at the unconscious man, and looks over at Hajime. "Yukimura-san's back at the library, and hopefully she's found some stuff we can use. I figure we call her, get this guy to a doctor who won't ask questions, then regroup somewhere quiet."

If it's okay with folks, I say we take the old man to a Yakuza doctor so we can avoid the questions we might have to deal with at a hospital. Other than that, Ryuu's going to call Tomoe and let her know that everyone's alive in the meantime, and that the monster is still at large but they might have a lead.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The man is taken to the local Yakuza night surgeon for care. The doctor takes Ryuu's money and looks over the man, binding up a broken arm and bandaging his wounds without asking why he has any. The man is then taken to Akemi's home - the local shrine to Inari, the fox god. Akemi's grandmother, better known to the community as Grandmother Tachibana or Tachibana Sakura, waves you in quietly. She is calm, seeming to have expected this, and listens quietly to your discussions and watching over the still unconscious man. She taught Akemi all she knows about miko techniques, so that is perhaps unsurprising.

Tomoe has achieved success in her research. Delving into stories of the inugami, she has discovered a few local legends. They state that a certain inugami within the town cannot resist red bean paste, and that he will never, ever refuse an offering of it, devouring it on the spot. (This seems to fit, as the material that you have cleaned off yourselves, once examined, was revealed to be red bean paste.) She also found information on ghosts being unable to cross or touch barriers of salt without being horribly hurt, and using what she knew about the red bean paste and what was told to her about the spirit you faced, plus some websites that even she admits are of dubious provenance but which seemed legit, she believes that the inugami in question might react similarly to the touch of artificial sweetener, being so fond of traditional sweets. While this is unorthodox, it is just the sort of information needed to perform a banishing ritual. Of perhaps equal interest is that the creature must be summoned - inugami only ever appear when summoned or created. Someone in town must have wanted the thing here for some reason.

In the meantime, Beat tallying! Y'all gain 3 Beats as the night ends.

Group Beats: 3 + 4/6 of a Beat.

And Practical Beats, shared by the group! You may spend 1 Practical Beat to restore Willpower, or save them up for Practical XP, which can be drawn from the pot to buy Skills, Merits and Tactics. The group must approve of any spend, since it's a shared pool.

So: 3 Practical Beats from Willpower risking. +3 from 3 hunters involved in the scene. +1 for a dramatic failure. +1 for a monster showing new powers. +1 for saving the dude's life. +1 for driving the thing off. -1 for causing an in-party breaking point. Total: 9.

So the group has 1 Practical XP and 4 Practical Beats.

Now then! What are your plans? Any prepwork to do before this dude works up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yukimura Tomoe

Shrine

"... and sweeteners might repel it too- am coming up with a monster or a diet?" Tomoe sighs, and looks up from her notes. There's a weak smile, as she says, "I'm glad you all made it back without any major injuries, anyway." She pulls out a small shopping bag with red bean paste in a tub, a box of salt, and a box of Pal Sweet. "It's probably not enough but I though I should, you know, make sure I have it." Pulling out her notes again, she holds them with both hands. "More importantly, somebody had to make the sacrifice to create it, so we might have more reading that needs doing, or... it might be an old one that was summoned. Either way, there's a person that brought it here." Resting her chin on the notebook thoughtfully for a moment, she adds, "The ritual was usually kept within a family. So somebody that did this probably either summoned it or belongs to the family that did. Inugami-mochi, they used to call them."

• Locked thread