Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Strategic Tea posted:

E: Also I liked the slow realisation that there are no trees in the city, there seem to be no living things but people and pigeons, there is no grass on the horizon, and you read some of the notes and realise whatever continent this is on is basically dead

Yeah, a lot of the time trial deliveries are prototype biological samples of one thing or another. Makes me wonder what food is made out of in Glass.

Though Dogen specifically mentions that most people in Glass have never eaten real meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yeah, a lot of the time trial deliveries are prototype biological samples of one thing or another. Makes me wonder what food is made out of in Glass.

Though Dogen specifically mentions that most people in Glass have never eaten real meat.

The meat, it is humans!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Also, that scientist lady mentions in the last level that fresh water is becoming increasingly hard to come by in Glass, and there's a document that discusses how one of the lesser corporations is responsible for desalination, but their process is dirty and energy-intensive.

I was sort of assuming the whole way through that "Cascadia" is in what used to be the Pacific Northwest, since the word's been used for various secessionist movements in that region since the late 19th century or so.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Something that wasn't very well elaborated on is that OmniStat used to control the entire Cascadia region, and the tunnels under Glass were a huge desalination plant since Glass is right on ocean. There's been an uneasy ceasefire between OmniStat and Cascadia, but OmniStat wants that land back because fresh water is increasingly scarce and they need access to the sea. The spy at the Elysium lab was from OmniStat and corporate espionage must be rampant in Cascadia.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I haven't finished the game but if omnistat isn't pulling black november's strings I'll eat my fashionable resistance hoodie

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

That reminds me of something I was wondering about the final mission. Was there ever an explanation for the explosion at the Shard? I assumed it was Black November, but if it was ever actually explained, I sure didn't see it.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Wanderer posted:

That reminds me of something I was wondering about the final mission. Was there ever an explanation for the explosion at the Shard? I assumed it was Black November, but if it was ever actually explained, I sure didn't see it.

No, I don't think it was explained. I also assumed it was Black November because after Faith said she wasn't giving them Reflection blueprints Rebecca responded by saying she still has ways of dealing major blows to the Conglomerate.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Jut finished it. I guess it was too much to hope for a truly 100 percent happy ending. The acting was great, traversal still fun, everything I wanted in an ME game except for what I noted above. Fingers crossed for another sequel, but I doubt it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Watch this dude do Benefactor in 5 minutes and change. He doesn't even drop the LOAD!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WMuLtEQvy0

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

having waited like 8 years for this game, playing it just feels boring as gently caress. There really is no reason for the open world at all. I pick up shitloads of these memory cards and dataleaks which are meaningless enough but on top of that, the rewards for colelcting them are incredibly bad. making it worse was all the E3 footage of Dishonored 2 which is going to poo poo all over this game in terms of tightly-crafted 1st person verticality.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Wanderer posted:

... like in the last level with the damaged glass panels that give you about a second's warning before breaking.

Just discovered you can wallrun and avoid breaking most of it. Smoove move.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

That's what I ended up doing once I knew they were going to break, yeah, but there are a couple of ledges that are there as a gently caress-you. There isn't really enough time to react, especially if you don't happen to be close to the wall.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

That last mission sucked

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

AdmiralViscen posted:

That last mission sucked

Definitely wasn't a great showcase for the skills the game teaches you, but there were a few vertigo moments that really went above and beyond, conceptually.

As a 'fear of heights' person this game is some potent poo poo.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

I really want to play this in VR, vertigo be damned!

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Watch this dude do Benefactor in 5 minutes and change. He doesn't even drop the LOAD!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WMuLtEQvy0

Wait, did they seriously add a grappling hook to Mirror's Edge? Why are people still free climbing if they have grappling hooks?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

MinibarMatchman posted:

having waited like 8 years for this game, playing it just feels boring as gently caress. There really is no reason for the open world at all.

But open world was all the rage years ago

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

MinibarMatchman posted:

having waited like 8 years for this game, playing it just feels boring as gently caress. There really is no reason for the open world at all. I pick up shitloads of these memory cards and dataleaks which are meaningless enough but on top of that, the rewards for colelcting them are incredibly bad. making it worse was all the E3 footage of Dishonored 2 which is going to poo poo all over this game in terms of tightly-crafted 1st person verticality.

I must be mentally ill or something 'cause I love the collectable crunch in this game. I normally hate both open-world/sandbox games and collectathons, but something about how smooth the traversal is combined with a sort of "how do I get there" puzzle element for the Grid-leaks, secret bags, and hackable billboards makes it incredibly engaging. But my favorite part of these games is the puzzle element anyways, so it's fine that the collectables don't have any significant unlocks. I might go for plat.

Coldforge posted:

Wait, did they seriously add a grappling hook to Mirror's Edge? Why are people still free climbing if they have grappling hooks?

It's a magnet line that hooks/hacks into certain installed camera equipment, and in the game world the autotarget interface displays on an Alternate Reality HUD that she wears on her contact lens.

Sort of weird, like some blackmarket tool.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 17, 2016

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The grappling hook mainly just exists to wall off certain areas via story missions. Some areas require the Spiderman-style grapple to access, others the Just Cause-style grapple, and you get access to both variants at only certain points in the story.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
An accidental grapple when I was panic mashing LB after wallrunning the wrong way off a building managed to get me in the top 2% on one of the time trials, so I'm all for it.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I agree, the free running is really good and the story and collectables serve to give you reasons to run. Works for me :)

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I do kinda want to see the pseudoscientific design document for the grappling hook, since the last story mission has you firing the goddamn thing about five stories straight up. It must be loaded with Spider-Man's webbing or something.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Wanderer posted:

I do kinda want to see the pseudoscientific design document for the grappling hook, since the last story mission has you firing the goddamn thing about five stories straight up. It must be loaded with Spider-Man's webbing or something.

Yeah I don't know what the hell on that one, but I nearly lost my loving lunch on 2 or 3 occasions.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Is there an opinion on whether to use KBM or controller? Never tried the original with the latter, only mouse - just personal preference?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

IXIX posted:

Is there an opinion on whether to use KBM or controller? Never tried the original with the latter, only mouse - just personal preference?

It's weird because the playerbase might even be higher on PC for this type of game but I feel it was designed with a controller in mind.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Finished the game. Sweet tattoos are the best story reward!

Also you're CEO now Cat you couldn't maybe take the kill order off my head? :cmon:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

They're never going to do DLC...are they? :ohdear:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

They're never going to do DLC...are they? :ohdear:

maybe. but i doubt there will be a sequel. then again homefront got a reboot/sequel. so who knows.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Any DLC will be horrifically overpriced for some more time trials/dashes. Doubt we'll see any new areas.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

maybe. but i doubt there will be a sequel. then again homefront got a reboot/sequel. so who knows.

It really feels like they were setting this game up with a sequel in mind, though we'll need to see some sales figures before really speculating on that.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

A sequel should be cheaper to produce, now that they've their middleware and tools done.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I wish they'd not wall off certain areas needlessly. I'm rescaling the construction site of the Top of the World side mission, and at the very last section, there's a ladder missing. There's no reason for this after the mission has been played.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

The only reason Homefront got a sequel was because Crytek was desperate for any kind of brand and they picked it up on the cheap from THQ but then Crytek got into money trouble and Koch Media/Deep Silver was able to pick it up on the cheap from Crytek.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Homefront got a sequel because the first sold decently and it was already far along into development by Crytek before THQ filed for bankruptcy.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Do they ever explain why Faith's last name is Connors? She doesn't look half white.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Do they ever explain why Faith's last name is Connors? She doesn't look half white.

Maybe her dad was adopted, who knows?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Sometimes half-Asian women don't, and in the original game, her dad was white. I don't think you ever get a good look at him in the new one, though.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

It's the ambiguous race-mixed future, she can have whatever last name she wants

E: This game actually does a great job of providing a diverse cast even down to the supporting characters and random mooks. It's 2016 and I'm finally seeing plenty of proud black women of color in a video game about kicking police officers off of tall buildings.

Pirate Radar fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 23, 2016

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I'm almost done with the main story of the game. I really liked it, but like the first, I wish it was longer. I think a lot of criticism and praise of the game can basically be summed up with "like the first" which is obviously good and bad. One thing I think DICE really disappointed with is the side missions though; I really would've liked them to have a little more depth but they're all kind of rote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I'm nearly finished, just did the Transit hub mission and whilst I'm normally not a fan of time limits this game would have benefitted from more like that to give it a sense of urgency.

• Locked thread