Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
surc
Aug 17, 2004

psivamp posted:

Yup, just got my code and also a "Friend" code.

Lacking friends in any meaningul fashion, I give the code to the thread.

xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx

Hey thanks, I completely missed the boat on even knowing they were doing a beta, for this, the surely and undeniably terrible sequel to one of my favorite games, so I snagged your code, and really appreciate you sharing it! Hopefully it's actually good and fun.

E: I'll make sure to report back with my informed opinions on how definitely bad this game is, and will probably be streaming it, tonight after work.

surc fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I got into the beta! Cant wait to get home and try this out.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
Likewise.

Mirror's edge is still one of the few games I haven't retired. I even bought a second copy for pc when I stopped playing my 360.

I can't wait to get off work.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

Kithyen posted:

Likewise.

Mirror's edge is still one of the few games I haven't retired. I even bought a second copy for pc when I stopped playing my 360.

I can't wait to get off work.

Oh poo poo, my wife will be out of the house when I get home! I might con my way into leaving work early.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

surc posted:

Hey thanks, I completely missed the boat on even knowing they were doing a beta, for this, the surely and undeniably terrible sequel to one of my favorite games, so I snagged your code, and really appreciate you sharing it! Hopefully it's actually good and fun.

E: I'll make sure to report back with my informed opinions on how definitely bad this game is, and will probably be streaming it, tonight after work.

I don't know why you're so butthurt that someone disagreed with your statement that this game was going to be lovely for having combat and some skill upgrades. It's still a running game at its core and there's going to be even more to do than the original because you're able to run anywhere you want between story chapters.

Conflict is something that you can't do away with in this game, either. Without it you'd might as well just make a whole game like the Pure Time Trials pack (which I'm sure people would want, but even more want a narrative). Dice at least recognized that the combat sections in the original broke the flow too much so they did away with guns (one of the biggest complaints of the original) and made it so you can take down guys easier while running without stopping your momentum to do it.

The skills, they didn't have to include this mechanic, I'll say that right off the bat, but I don't think they'll ruin the game either. I don't know why this is such a hot button issue when we don't know the extent of it. If it's something like blocking wall running until you hit runner rank 25 or something like that then yeah Dice deserves to be vilified for that, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt with how well they did with the original.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Shoren posted:

I don't know why you're so butthurt that someone disagreed with your statement that this game was going to be lovely for having combat and some skill upgrades. It's still a running game at its core and there's going to be even more to do than the original because you're able to run anywhere you want between story chapters.

The game they think they played in 2008 conflicts with the game they actually played, the sequel that is going to exist, and the sequel they think ought to exist.

You have people who are "excited" for more Mirror's Edge, but basically don't want the original game anymore. The combat in it sucked hard enough that it was universally reviled for good reasons. The running was interesting in concept, but never quite got everything it reached for, and could lead to some exceedingly frustrating sections before you even factor in combat. The one bit of the game that is hard to fault was its art, and the new city looks nice enough to fall to your death in as well, so it's not like we're skimping entirely on looks either. Like you said, DICE appears to be trying to fix some of the problems the old game had while still making Mirror's Edge: Model Asian Waif Takes On Big Business, The Sequel (Co-Starring Andrew Wilson as The Bad Guy who is Up To Something Big).

fivegears4reverse fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 22, 2016

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
I... don't really know what you are arguing for or against.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Shoren posted:

Conflict is something that you can't do away with in this game, either. Without it you'd might as well just make a whole game like the Pure Time Trials pack (which I'm sure people would want, but even more want a narrative). Dice at least recognized that the combat sections in the original broke the flow too much so they did away with guns (one of the biggest complaints of the original) and made it so you can take down guys easier while running without stopping your momentum to do it.

Yeah, like they seem to be tying the combat mechanics directly into the movement so that you can flow between one and the other with the same skillset. Look at the preview videos, your exploiting your movement to sidestep enemies and bash them from behind or setting up particularly powerful attacks by pulling off tricky platforming like walljumps. A lot of the previews have also emphasized the idea that you don't need to stop dead to smash somebody's face in but instead can just chain in a light attack while moving to temporarily disable a foe while you keep pressing on before they recover. I would have thought that would be exactly how they should deal with combat if its going to be in the game, so is it just the existence of combat at all in Mirror's Edge that's a problem? Because when people were talking about it in the last game most of the complaints seemed to be centered on the gunplay in particular.

Icept posted:

I... don't really know what you are arguing for or against.

Neither does he.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

khwarezm posted:

I think you're really stretching here, also lol at the idea that Faith in the first game was meant to look like an average, fit woman.

The character from the first game is not as good looking as this new character. This is a hard thing to objectively prove so this is just my opinion that's all I can say.

I liked the character design from the first game better myself. I'm just a little disappointed that this reboot had to make her look a cuter and more attractive. I wanted a tough strong character that's all.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Will this one have a non-wobbly camera that doesn't make me want to puke after 20 minutes of playtime? Please? :(

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Diarrhea's Edge: Shatalyst

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

DropsySufferer posted:

The character from the first game is not as good looking as this new character. This is a hard thing to objectively prove so this is just my opinion that's all I can say.

I liked the character design from the first game better myself. I'm just a little disappointed that this reboot had to make her look a cuter and more attractive. I wanted a tough strong character that's all.

Reminder, this is one of the first, and few, times you see Faith's face in the original:

You can really see the years of hardship and strife etched into her grizzled face!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

khwarezm posted:

You can really see the years of hardship and strife etched into her grizzled face!
No, you just forgot to turn on anti-aliasing.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

DropsySufferer posted:

What makes you think the Catalyst version of Faith is any weaker than OG Faith? At the risk of generalizing, in both designs she has the same soft features most Asian women have, similarly practical clothing (slim 3/4-length pants, tight-fitting black top, red running shoes), and a slim frame. She has never been depicted as muscular, and I think the load screens in the first game even mention that Faith is physically weaker than the cops she encounters so she needs to utilize her intelligence and agility to beat them.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I mean, I guess she's more westernized and maybe Dropsy sees that as "cuter and more attractive"? I'm really stretching on this one though.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Fremry posted:

I mean, I guess she's more westernized and maybe Dropsy sees that as "cuter and more attractive"? I'm really stretching on this one though.

Nobody is allowed to be remotely attractive in videogames anymore, I guess Hideo Kojima's obsession with Snakebutt was wrong all along :(

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Shoren posted:

The skills, they didn't have to include this mechanic, I'll say that right off the bat, but I don't think they'll ruin the game either. I don't know why this is such a hot button issue when we don't know the extent of it. If it's something like blocking wall running until you hit runner rank 25 or something like that then yeah Dice deserves to be vilified for that, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt with how well they did with the original.

I was making a joke about how mad that dude was about people saying the game looked bad, and I am not going to read your whole post right now, sorry. Maybe later, if I'm not too busy playing the beta for a bad game.

surc fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 22, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

TBH, I just wish they had figured out how to make the gun combat integrate better with the movement. Because as clunky as the gun combat was, it was so much better than the unarmed combat.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I don't remember any guns in Mirrors Edge, there was only the jump kick attack.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

TBH, I just wish they had figured out how to make the gun combat integrate better with the movement. Because as clunky as the gun combat was, it was so much better than the unarmed combat.

Both the unarmed and gun combat stopped the game dead in its tracks which was my biggest problem. They've shown how they can work unarmed into the flow of the movement to some degree so fine, go ahead, but I can't imagine how they'd fix the gunplay in the same manner. I'm happy to see it go.

What I hope is that most encounters can be slipped past if your nimble enough and you generally won't be forced to stand and fight.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The only thing I can think of is making it so you can still move more or less unrestricted with a pistol. I really don't know how they would make gun combat better in general. Having to put away and take out a rifle / shotgun / machine gun would ruin the flow.

I haven't had time to watch the gameplay video yet, though. Maybe they'll impress me.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The only thing I can think of is making it so you can still move more or less unrestricted with a pistol. I really don't know how they would make gun combat better in general. Having to put away and take out a rifle / shotgun / machine gun would ruin the flow.

I haven't had time to watch the gameplay video yet, though. Maybe they'll impress me.

I thought they completely did away with the use of small arts by the player this time around?

Beta is almost done downloading.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

DropsySufferer posted:

It looks they made the main character better looking this time.
Wow. I guess different strokes for different folks...

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
drat, super jealous of you guys that got into the beta! I've been refreshing my e-mail all day, but still nothing. :(

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

PunkBoy posted:

drat, super jealous of you guys that got into the beta! I've been refreshing my e-mail all day, but still nothing. :(

PM me for my friend key that I haven't been able to give away.

Edit: for more content, I just played a good 3 hours or so of it. I'm liking it quite a bit, but I can see it getting repetitive. Also, the unarmed combat is definitely better. It's definitely more expanded than the first.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 23, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Just finished up the story missions, seems interesting. Seems like it's on a much larger scale than the first, which is cool. To be honest, I thought they'd gently caress it up by dumbing it down or whatever, but they didn't. Open world doesn't feel too "Ubisoft" which is great. It's exactly what I wanted from a Mirror's Edge game.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Fremry posted:

PM me for my friend key that I haven't been able to give away.

Sent

EDIT: Sorted out!

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 23, 2016

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I'm so jealous of everyone in the Beta. I sank so much time into the first one and Time Trial games are my jam.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Agoat posted:

I'm so jealous of everyone in the Beta. I sank so much time into the first one and Time Trial games are my jam.

Go onto G2A or eBay and get a code for like $3.50
https://www.g2a.com/mirror-s-edge-catalyst-closed-beta-origin-global.html

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

I had no idea this was a thing. Doing this now, thank you!

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Pablo Gigante posted:

Diarrhea's Edge: Shatalyst

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

if anybody's got a spare beta code for ps4 i'd love to give this game a try

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I pm'd you my ps4 friend invite

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

astr0man posted:

I pm'd you my ps4 friend invite

aww thanks a lot man, you rule.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Got my code, downloading now.

Spare PS4 code: CFFG-NPN2-29QL

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Where/why are people getting spare codes? I only got one from what I see.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Reverse Centaur posted:

Where/why are people getting spare codes? I only got one from what I see.

It's towards the end of the email, right before the "beta tips and tricks" link

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I love everything in this game but Faith's voice and attitude. And even then it's tolerable. This game is really something.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Played this for about an hour or two on PS4---the tutorial basically runs you through runner vision and handholds your rear end but as soon as you get into the city, you can turn everything off and go your own way for all routes and object interactions.

- Getting one thing out of the way: you get like 2-3 points right off the bat from the first two side missions, you can use both to get the roll/walljump. There, problem solved everybody, nothing to see here. The actual movement skill tree from there branches off into a few things like double wall jumps or faster pipe climbs--didn't see anything else that was a basic move from the last game locked up so the skill tree of woe is overblown, if not pretty useless. The rest of the stuff I saw were combat upgrades and moves, but nothing life changing. The skill tree is barely a thing so there's nothing remotely RPG or annoying about unlocking this stuff.

- Controls are great, and I'd argue might rely on even tighter reactions. You do get an easier springboard jump by holding down jump now, but wallrunning and tactical rolls/sprint recoveries take a bit to get used to. You can spin around tight spaces and slide around just as easy as the first game.

- Combat popped up every so often but it's pretty easy. You're a way faster force than even a 3-4 man squad can handle. Might be stronger foes later but haven't see them yet.

- Was surprised that the majority of the game beta was running at 60fps, with occasional dips--but otherwise it looks great. Cutscenes are rough, but whatever, it's a beta. Overall, the city looks clean and slightly more futuristic than it was in the last game. There are flying car things that zoom around but I couldn't land on any of those.

- Collectible poo poo is hidden all over--memory chip things, Crackdown floaty things, etc. The floaty hack things are more or less rewards for being skilled at dangerous traversal, while the other stuff is there for people who take the time to explore darker passages. Honestly, I like having stuff like that to pick up in a game where I'm jumping around doing stupid parkour, but your mileage may vary. The game's map isn't Ubisoft in this stuff, either--it's sparse and barren of the zillion icons you'd find for an AC game. I'd compare the items more to the Spider Man 2 tokens you just naturally happen across while traversing the game.

This was just my impression upon one hour or so of playing it but there's nothing outwardly negative that comes to mind; the beginning missions are easy and boorish but the foundation is there for some cool poo poo. I think the only thing I really, REALLY miss is the soundtrack....I heard almost no music while playing and loved the music in the first one so I'm wondering if they'll have tracks in the finished game playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
so wait, the one game where climbing towers to get access to the map might actually be fun, and it`s the one ubi game where that doesnt happen? lol

• Locked thread